PDA

View Full Version : Middle Earth: Total War

Muz
2009-10-08, 10:51 AM
...Okay, actually it's called Third Age: Total War (http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/Third_Age:_Total_War), but I figure that thread title is more descriptive.

It's a mod for Medieval 2: Total War (actually a mod for the Kingdoms expansion) that a friend pointed me toward a few days ago. I've so far only had time to download the mod and patches (they're over 2GB) and play a few turns as Isengard, but WOW. I'm frankly amazed that anyone had the time to do such a detailed job--or detailed so far as I can tell after playing only half an hour. (And no, I'm not in any way affiliated with these people. :smallbiggrin:)

I'm not sure yet if they were able to make Minas Tirith look like Minas Tirith or anything on the battle map, but they DO seem to have to-scale ogres and oliphaunts.

Has anyone else seen this mod?

Zevox
2009-10-08, 12:27 PM
...and I suddenly have a reason to get ahold of the Kingdoms expansion to that game.

(I'm a massive Tolkien geek and also a Total War fan.)

Zevox

Jibar
2009-10-08, 12:48 PM
Wow.
That actually looks really cool.

I might just go out and buy the game so I can give that mod a go.

MCerberus
2009-10-08, 12:52 PM
It looks pretty decent, but I remember the Rome: Total War Tolkien mod really not being up to the standards of others (especially Rome: Total Realism).

Muz
2009-10-08, 12:55 PM
It DOES still have a few bugs, just to warn you--or shortcomings, I suppose. At the beginning of the game you get a little message saying that if you want to declare war on an ally, officially end the alliance diplomatically the turn BEFORE you plan to attack, otherwise Bad Things(tm) will happen. It also recommends NOT auto-resolving battles, as that somehow goes in favor of the computer.

That said, having a bunch of Uruk-Hai march toward some Rohan cavalry that I ambused in the woods while my archers fired over their heads with flaming arrows was pretty darned cool. :smallbiggrin:

It looks pretty decent, but I remember the Rome: Total War Tolkien mod really not being up to the standards of others (especially Rome: Total Realism).

Despite having played Medieval: TW, Rome: TW, Medieval2:TW, and the expansions thereof, this is actually the first TW mod that I've ever played, so I can't say if it is or isn't.

Arcanoi
2009-10-08, 02:57 PM
Eh, if you want this mod I'll give you a couple warnings. First things, the Orcs of the Misty Mountains and Mordor are overpowered. The Orcs of the Misty Mountains are set up to fight about 4 opponents at once, but in reality they usually beat all of them because of the terrain and their ridiculous numbers (To beat them, I had to win about 15 battles against armies of upwards of 3000 troops). Mordor has similar, if not quite so encompassing numbers, but really shines with its Nazgul generals, which generally start with max command, piety, and Authority/Loyalty, although building up Dread/Honor is more difficult than in Vanilla.

A more sweeping effect, however, is that certain important settlements controlled by computer players receive 'garrisons' when they are besieged. These usually come in the form of about 10 units of various types popping up inside the settlement after you attack it. It's really, really annoying.