PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Primary and Secondary Roles

Aron Times
2009-10-08, 11:44 AM
Each class in 4E has a primary role and one or more secondary roles. Here are my observations on this topic:

Martial Classes

Fighter - Defender/Striker.
Ranger - Striker/Controller?
Rogue - Striker/Defender
Warlord - Leader/Striker

The martial classes deal more damage than their non-martial counterparts; they have some degree of Striker within them. Compare the Warlord to the Cleric, the Bard, and the Shaman and you'll see just how much the Warlord outdamages them all.

Arcane Classes

Artificer - Leader/Controller
Bard - Leader/Controller
Sorcerer - Striker/Controller
Swordmage - Defender/Controller
Warlock - Striker/Controller
Wizard - Controller/Striker

All arcane classes have some degree of controller in them. All six classes are good at inflicting status conditions on their foes.

Divine Classes

Avenger - Striker/Leader
Cleric - Leader/Controller
Invoker - Controller/Leader
Paladin - Defender/Leader

Another parallelism here. The divine power source's shtick seems to be the leader role, as each of these classes have some way to support and/or heal their party members.

Anyway, I don't have much experience with the primal power source, so I'll leave it up to you guys to figure it out. Their above average HP suggests a focus on the defender role, in my opinion.

What do you think?

Mando Knight
2009-10-08, 12:05 PM
Rogue is Striker with a bit of Control, Ranger is pure Striker.

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-08, 12:08 PM
As Mando Knight says, the Ranger is a Striker/Striker. He's right about the Rogue, too.

Kurald Galain
2009-10-08, 12:11 PM
Each class in 4E has a primary role and one or more secondary roles.
Most of them, yes. Ranger, however, does not: it is as strikery as you get.

I find defender not very fitting for a rogue - he's closer to a controller, depending on your definition of "control".

Surprisingly, wizards can have leader aspects - such as Jump and Mass Resistance. Of course, "striker" is the easiest secondary to qualify for since all it means is that you do damage. I'm not convinced there's much of control in artificer powers, or much leadership in avenger powers.

And You Forgot Poland Primal.

Master_Rahl22
2009-10-08, 01:39 PM
Barbarian: Striker/Defender or Leader
Druid: Controller/Leader or Striker
Shaman: Leader/Defender or Striker
Warden: Defender/Controller or Striker

So it looks like Primar is very Striker heavy, Defender and Leader are in there 3 times, and Controller only twice.

Tengu_temp
2009-10-08, 01:43 PM
I don't see why Avenger is a secondary leader - does it have any non-self cast buffs or heals? If anything, its high defenses and stickyness make it a secondary defender.

Blackfang108
2009-10-08, 01:47 PM
I don't see why Avenger is a secondary leader - does it have any non-self cast buffs or heals? If anything, its high defenses and stickyness make it a secondary defender.

Seconded. It does have ONE leader-y thing: Divine Guidance.

Which isn't leadery enough to overcome the Defendery aspects.

Hzurr
2009-10-08, 02:36 PM
Barbarian: Striker/Defender or Leader
Druid: Controller/Leader or Striker
Shaman: Leader/Defender or Striker
Warden: Defender/Controller or Striker

So it looks like Primar is very Striker heavy, Defender and Leader are in there 3 times, and Controller only twice.

I'd mark the Druid as Controller/Striker, since they really can't do much as far as healing goes. Also, the Shaman damage is pretty "meh", so I wouldn't consider them strikers at all

Also, they just added in the Seeker class for PHB3, which is Controller/Striker

Indon
2009-10-08, 03:09 PM
I feel the Warden is more a Defender/Controller than a Striker as a secondary.

I don't know many classes who can create defensive zones for the benefit of allies like the Warden can, and LeaderControlling isn't a role.

Edit: Or would creating a zone that buffs allies be a Leader function? Hmm.