PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Favorite templates

Thurbane
2009-10-08, 03:48 PM
What are your favorite templates?

I'm a big fan of all the Half- templates (elemental, fiend, dragon, farspawn, vampire, troll, celestial, fey, illithid etc.).

I also love the Unholy Scion from HoH.

Trodon
2009-10-08, 04:48 PM
Lolth-Touched is a cool one.

Crafty Cultist
2009-10-08, 04:48 PM
I'm a fan of half-vampire myself, and necropolitan(undead with no level adjustment:smallbiggrin:)

Volkov
2009-10-08, 04:51 PM
Epic level templates, Spellstitched undead, Half Dragon, Half Fiend/Axiomatic/Celestial/Anarchic and Monster of Legend. They are all so awesomely powerful.

Zaydos
2009-10-08, 04:51 PM
Got to say I love all the half-templates, especially half-dragon. What's a better servant for the red dragon than a swarm of half-red dragon trolls! I also really enjoy the half-farspawn template... although that might have been because it was the only way to challenge the warlock with umber hulks, SR check, acid resistance check, blindsight check, level appropriate encounter check. Able to beat the PC small chance, able to be beaten by the PC unless he does something stupid.

Fluffles
2009-10-08, 04:53 PM
Insectile, Half-Ogre, Half-Giant, and pretty much anything big.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-10-08, 04:54 PM
Half-Fey (Fiend Folio), Half-Nymph (Some Dragon Magazine), Necropolitan, and Grave-touched Ghoul (both Libris Mortis) rank highly on my list. With the exception of Necropolitan, I probably wouldn't take any of these unless LA buy-off was on the table, but all of the templates work well for some shade of caster.

Currently, I'm using Grave-touched Ghoul on a Binder, who is heading for Ur-Priest-dom. The stats boosts have proven handy already, and the loss of con is mitigated due to it having been a dump-stat. Being two levels behind does hurt though.

OMG PONIES
2009-10-08, 04:57 PM
Feral
Mineral Warrior
Spellwarped
Voidminded
Vecna-Blooded
Lolth-Touched
Ghost
Unseelie Fey

I know some of them aren't all that great for the LA (Ghost), and some are cheesy at their listed LA (Feral, Mineral Warrior, Vecna-Blooded, Unseelie Fey), but at least one will manage to sneak it's way into anything I play now.

TheCountAlucard
2009-10-08, 05:03 PM
I know some of them aren't all that great for the LA (Ghost), and some are cheesy at their listed LA (Feral, Mineral Warrior, Vecna-Blooded, Unseelie Fey), but at least one will manage to sneak it's way into anything I play now.That's why I like GMing; I can sate my appetite for templates without having books thrown at me. :smalltongue:

Oh, and half-x templates are pretty awesome, albeit a little illogical at times.

"Wait, so it's a half-red dragon half-ogre wearing half plate and wielding a hand-and-a-half sword?"

Vizzerdrix
2009-10-09, 06:48 AM
I like the Pseudonarutal template. I just wish it listed an LA so I could use it on a character :smallfrown:

Draken
2009-10-09, 08:20 AM
Half-Farspawn, Insectile and the epic Pseudonatural template are pretty big on my list. Ice Beast is also a fun one, considering the associated spell.

Optimystik
2009-10-09, 08:25 AM
Necropolitan
Half-Fiend/Celestial
Pseudonatural

Is there a construct one?

Kaiyanwang
2009-10-09, 08:29 AM
Undead and Fiends ones, first. (for fiends I mean the 3-4 kinds of half fiend and unholy scion). Of the Undead, Death Knight. Maybe more for flavour but is too much cool to screw it.

Mineral Warrior.

Half elementals and Hal-fey, too. I love spirits.

But, in my hearth, the best one is multi-headed. there is no limit to the suffering you can inflict to players with that one placed on the right monster.

Combine them is cool, too. I recently built a 3-headed mineral warrior war hulk mountain troll that lead to a very fun and interesting fight.

Malacode
2009-10-09, 08:35 AM
Savage Species gave us the Symbiotic template. Why it's my favourite? I managed to make my groups DM practically cry using it. It's okay, it was part of a theoretical OP challenge, not an actual game. I'm not -that- cheesy.

My most used templates are Necropolitan and Spellstiched, as a player, and Evolved Undead and Mummy as a DM. Three guesses as to what type of monsters my current campaign is centered around.

Kaiyanwang
2009-10-09, 08:42 AM
My most used templates are Necropolitan and Spellstiched, as a player, and Evolved Undead and Mummy as a DM. Three guesses as to what type of monsters my current campaign is centered around.

Oozes?

I am right?

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-10-09, 09:20 AM
Here's how I think mineral warrior should be edited:

Size and Type: Fine.
Speed: Fine.
Armor Class: Fine (I suppose).
Earth Strike (Ex): I'd rather have natural attacks treated as being adamantine.
Darkvision (Ex): Fine.
Damage Reduction: 8/adamantine doesn't make any sort of sense. I'd rather have DR x/- (where x equals the creature's hit dice or 20, whichever is lower)
Abilities: Fine.

Kaiyanwang
2009-10-09, 09:33 AM
Well, consider this: in the troll of my example above, an AOE attack with Earth Strike is very dangerous..

Anyway, DR make sense: if something is veeery hard, like the hardest stone (like golems) deserve DR x/adamantine.

DR X/- is very rare, and definitively does not reach, generally speaking, 15 or 20..

Optimystik
2009-10-09, 09:42 AM
Is there a construct one?

Requoting because I don't know if anyone saw it. Unless Mineral Warrior was the answer, in which case what book is that in?

sofawall
2009-10-09, 09:58 AM
Incarnate Construct.

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-09, 10:27 AM
Gelatinous. I know it can't be played because of the whole zero Intelligence thing but it still rocks.

Vortling
2009-10-09, 10:44 AM
As a DM:
Feral, Mineral Warrior, Dark, Spell-Stitched
As a Player
Half-Fey, Winged

The Tygre
2009-10-09, 10:45 AM
I'm a freak over templates:
Pseudonatural
Lolth-touched
Half-X (Fiend especially)
Aquatic
Beast of the Apocalypse
Fallen Angel
Four Horsemen
Tauric
Titanic
Daikaiju
Seelie/Unseelie
Fungal
Skeleton

Mongoose87
2009-10-09, 10:50 AM
Gelatinous. I know it can't be played because of the whole zero Intelligence thing but it still rocks.

Gelatinous Dude?

Leon
2009-10-09, 07:00 PM
As Player
Draconic
Half Vampire

As DM
Feral
Tough Quickplate
Alpha Hunter Quickplate

Curmudgeon
2009-10-09, 08:16 PM
Feral
Lolth-Touched
Mineral Warrior

SartheKobold
2009-10-09, 10:01 PM
Necromental (Libris Mortis)... They just fit really cool into the campaign...

What book is Half-Farspawn from? I don't feel like kicking through a library at the moment...

sofawall
2009-10-09, 10:11 PM
Feral
Lolth-Touched
Mineral Warrior

Like playing Martial-types?

golentan
2009-10-09, 10:12 PM
Half Fey, Mineral Warrior, and Worm that Walks. Half Dragon is also one of my standbys.

I have a character who I keep chickening out of playing: A Half Fey warlock whose goal is to eventually show up at the Seelie court, and confront a Sidhe with "I'm more Fey than you are. Ha. Ha-ha. Ha-ha."

Rappy
2009-10-09, 10:33 PM
It's hard for me to pick favorites amongst templates; they're like children to me as the GM. If I had to pick only ten of them, though, they'd be:

Amalgam [Advanced Bestiary]
Chirurgic Horror [Book of Templates Deluxe Edition]
Dire Creature [Tome of Horrors]
Dread Mummy [Advanced Bestiary]
Landwalker [Tome of Horrors II]
Paleoskeleton [Book of Templates Deluxe Ediition]
Plague Wretch [Creature Collection]
Savage [Book of Templates Deluxe Edition]
Spellgorged Zombie [Tome of Horrors II]
Swamp Lord [Advanced Bestiary]

Haberdashery
2009-10-09, 11:08 PM
I personally love the Mistling from Forge of War. Flavor-wize mostly, but the abilities are really cool too. I'm a huge sucker for fey, and the weird ones especially.

infinitypanda
2009-10-09, 11:14 PM
I like phrenic. Don't know why, I just do.

Emy
2009-10-10, 12:53 AM
I like many templates, but this one hasn't been mentioned yet: Telthor.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-10, 02:30 AM
Like playing Martial-types?
I like things that help martial types to be more competitive with spellcasters.

Geddoe
2009-10-10, 05:19 AM
I like Phrenic(and 3.0 psionic too, for some reason). I also like Shadow-Walker(mostly because I also like Teflammar Shadowlord) and paragon.

Keld Denar
2009-10-10, 01:17 PM
Gravetouched Ghoul is fun, and I really like Spellwarped for minions of a caster. Whats really nasty is one encounter I had with a caster and some Spellwarped minions, the spellcaster kept casting Featherfall (immediate action) on all of his minions at minimum CL. His SR check would nearly always fail, and the minions would all gain some nice buffs. Was a tough encounter!

Half Dragon is also really fun if you get REALLY creative. I once encountered a half red dragon sheep. Yup...sheep. That dragon really knew how to get busy.