PDA

View Full Version : Good gestalt classes for a kineticist psion?

Milskidasith
2009-10-08, 06:59 PM
I'm playing a gestalt PbP on this forum, and I was considering making a psion, but I really don't know what to gestalt with it.

The houserules: Level 4 (starting), LE only, No ToB, MoI, or Dragon Magazine. Four classes (including PrCs) total for the entire build, no PrCs that advance two classes, all classes get +2 skill points per level, no flaws/traits, using the weapon groups variant (no clue what Psions get for that.)

The stats: 17, 17, 16, 16, 14, 12. This is before racial mods or the +1 I'd probably put in intelligence from levelling. (I rolled really well.)

I really have no clue what to add. I suppose I could get some LA on the non Psion side, but after that I'm at a loss (besides picking up something to boost my AC and HP, maybe.)

Temet Nosce
2009-10-08, 07:17 PM
Factotum? Always a good choice in a gestalt with an active class.

deuxhero
2009-10-08, 07:18 PM
Factotum and Warblade are the standard anwser for a psion.

ex cathedra
2009-10-08, 07:22 PM
Thirding factotum.

Stats: 16 Str, 16 Dex, 17 Con, 17 Int, the other two as you see fit.

Be a human. I mean, why not? You'll have three or four feats to play with. I strongly suggest Font of Inspiration. It will pay off when you hit 8.

Milskidasith
2009-10-08, 07:40 PM
So what exactly does factotum do? Also, what book is it from? /Noob

subject42
2009-10-08, 07:43 PM
Factotum is from Dungeonscape. It's a mishmash of pretty much every core class.

metalbear
2009-10-08, 08:48 PM
It gives you the ability to choose what you want to specialize in at the time. You can cast divine and arcane spells, sneak attack, add bonuses to your rolls, and so on. All in all, a very versatile class.

Woodsman
2009-10-08, 08:50 PM
Factotum is from Dungeonscape. It's a mishmash of pretty much every core class.

It's pretty much the ultimate jack-of-all-trades.

Given all skills are class skills, you know.

Milskidasith
2009-10-08, 08:51 PM
It's pretty much the ultimate jack-of-all-trades.

Given all skills are class skills, you know.

Woo! Sounds like fun. Can I add Int to things? That would be very nice.

Jack_Simth
2009-10-08, 08:54 PM

Yes.

YES.

Very much, yes.

Did I mention "Yes".

Oh, and again, Yes, it can.

subject42
2009-10-08, 08:55 PM

I think the better question is what the Factotum can't use int to improve.

Milskidasith
2009-10-08, 08:57 PM
Yes.

YES.

Very much, yes.

Did I mention "Yes".

Oh, and again, Yes, it can.

Just found I actually had the book (it was in my pile of "books to read" instead of my "D&D books" pile). It looks... awesome. Granted, at fourth level, I can "only" add my Int bonus to stuff three times a day... but jeez, it's nice. It's like I get a Psion with all the fun of passive buffs and better armor! :D

avr
2009-10-08, 09:15 PM
You know, there's nothing wrong with Rogue partnered with Psion in gestalt. This also gives you a lot of skill points, especially fun if skill tricks are available.

Also: Psion Uncarnate is an interesting PrC if you don't have to lose manifester levels - and practically speaking, you don't in gestalt if you're only advancing one manifesting/casting class. Just go Psion (kineticist) // Psion Uncarnate on the levels when Psion Uncarnate would otherwise lose a manifester level.

sonofzeal
2009-10-08, 09:18 PM
Seconding "Font of Inspiration" (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606). Although, we houserule it so it gives a static +2 IP each time. Things get.... a little out of hand, otherwise.

HereticNox
2009-10-08, 09:24 PM
You can add your intelligence bonus to attack rolls and saves. It is all about the the stat synergy.

Might as well take it all the way, for extra standard actions fun time and since you're a kineticist (the ability to ignore spell resistance (or power resistance in this instance) is a pretty good thing.

Milskidasith
2009-10-08, 09:31 PM
Being a good stereotypical kineticist, I was thinking of actually going for Overchannel and Talented, and if I want my Psicrystal to have a focus, it's going to take some feats there as well. I might get Font of Inspiration, though. It's hard to decide; do I want a bit of extra ML now, or do I want some more inspiration? Or do I want to skip Talented since I can probably afford 1d8 damage now that I have a +3 to con and d8 hit dice?

infinitypanda
2009-10-08, 09:33 PM
Just found I actually had the book (it was in my pile of "books to read" instead of my "D&D books" pile). It looks... awesome. Granted, at fourth level, I can "only" add my Int bonus to stuff three times a day... but jeez, it's nice. It's like I get a Psion with all the fun of passive buffs and better armor! :D

Three times per encounter, you mean?

Milskidasith
2009-10-08, 09:41 PM
Three times per encounter, you mean?

Inspiration points are per encounter?

*rereads*

*Jaw drops.*

HOLY CRAPDAMN. Yay! It's every kineticists dream: Abilities that reload per encounter, so you can nova all you want!

Dacia Brabant
2009-10-08, 10:00 PM
If you want boosts to Manifester Level then consider Wilder for the other side of your gestalt. Wild Surge can be used on any power you manifest--which doesn't stack with Overchannel unfortunately, and there is that enervation thing to worry about, but the extra PSPs from surging are free--and you'll have twice as many Power Points to spend. Which, considering it's a little bit too easy to go nova as a blaster (and Kineticists usually are), that isn't a bad thing. You wouldn't be able to dump Cha though but with those stats you don't have to worry about it.

Factotum's a good choice too though. If you go that route I'd suggest PrCing into Anarchic Initiate (CPsi) on the Psion side.

deuxhero
2009-10-08, 10:09 PM
Can I add Int to things?

If by "things" you mean a good number of items including initiative, then yes.

Draz74
2009-10-09, 01:34 AM
Inspiration points are per encounter?

*rereads*

*Jaw drops.*

HOLY CRAPDAMN. Yay! It's every kineticists dream: Abilities that reload per encounter, so you can nova all you want!

Well, your power points don't recharge per-encounter. :smalltongue:

But yes, your Inspiration certainly does, and this means Factotum is awesome -- arguably too awesome, in Gestalt.

My standard Factotum advice, though: stay away from Font of Inspiration. Not only is there a possibility it will convince your DM to ban Factotum, but it's boring. More fun to have to ration your Inspiration points carefully, and get to use fun Psionic feats instead. Overchannel/Talented, Psicrystal Affinity/Psicrystal Containment, Psionic Meditation, Quicken Power, Linked Power, and Expanded Knowledge are great feats. Don't waste the opportunity to get them just so you can nova your Inspiration Points.

Eloel
2009-10-09, 01:43 AM
Factotum makes your nova-psion (kineticist), go for a bigger nova. Combine Inspiration Points for standard actions with Schism and Anticipatory Strike, and you're emptying your whole PP in a single round.

For enemies, it's like "PPs fall, everyone dies", yet you're useless for the rest of the day.

It's great to do on the last encounter of the day, or in arena games.

Milskidasith
2009-10-09, 12:59 PM
Can't do Anarchic; LE only party.