PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle NPCs?

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-08, 08:10 PM
Ok, people who've DMed before... how do you handle the stats for NPCs?

I tend to stat them all out on character sheets, myself. This of course means I end up needing a lot of copies of character sheets, and my printer doesn't enjoy this. I tried stating some out with stat blocks, but I didn't really find it that easy...

So how do you all handle it? Any alternatives to stat blocks and character sheets?

The Blackbird
2009-10-08, 08:13 PM
If the NPC is low level or a simple class like fighter, then you could memorize some generics of the class, and take mid HP rolls and have a small list of feats they would have. Using this you could just record the HP on a sheet of paper.

Choco
2009-10-08, 08:14 PM
If its the BBEG or someone else of importance that will be involved in combat with the PC's, either with or against them, I use character sheets. Otherwise, stat blocks. If it's a lvl 1 commoner and the PC's are like lvl 5+ I dont bother with stats, just assume they are all 10's if it comes down to skill checks or combat.

mr.fizzypop
2009-10-08, 08:14 PM
For NPCs I just usually make up there stats on the spot. Giving them health and skills that make sense.
But if there a NPC that is going, or might get into combat, I just write down the HP, AC, Attacks, and any special abilities or spells they might have.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-08, 08:15 PM
Short stat blocks, longer descriptions, obscenely small margins on the Word document, FastDraft printing.

Rhiannon87
2009-10-08, 08:37 PM
Depends on what their role is. Most NPCs don't get stats, 'cause they're just people the party talks with. Semi-important people who might enter combat get quick'n'dirty builds shoved in amongst my notes; HP, AC, saves, attacks, maybe skills if I think it'll matter. Mooks get spreadsheet builds with a little more detail. Major enemies usually get full builds and full character sheets. I've found that I like doing things in spreadsheets best. Easy to organize, you can have lots of sheets so you can click around (if you have a computer while you're DMing) from enemy to enemy.

Thatguyoverther
2009-10-08, 08:45 PM
It varies dependent on how important they are. Important NPCs get full character treatment, whereas bystander #5 get's to be a standard level 1 commoner straight from the book.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-10-08, 09:12 PM
I'm going to assume you're talking about 3.5 here.

You should only make full sheets for important NPCs you expect your PCs to fight.

Important NPCs who aren't going to be fought just need skills, equipment, ability scores and levels/classes. For most of them, "equipment" means anything that can thwart or affect the PCs actions - true seeing, mind blank... whatever. Don't worry about how much his jewelry actually is worth, and how many copper he has in his coin purse.

Monsters... well, you do what MM tells you to do.

Minor NPCs just need a name... and maybe some skills (Sense Motive, Spot, Listen are the most common) if you don't want to just make up DCs on the spot.

In the long run, you should make up a few generic NPC combat blocks (Guard, Merchant/Barkeep, Peasant, Sergeant, etc.) in case a PC flips out for some reason. Make 'em up like Monsters in MM, and don't get too fancy.

infinitypanda
2009-10-08, 09:20 PM
Most of the time I don't even give them actual stats. I just make up some numbers that sound about right off the top of my head and go for it. More important NPCs, of course, get full stat blocks.

TheCountAlucard
2009-10-08, 10:01 PM
Characters that interest me enough (typically recurring bad guys) get character sheets. One-time minions or monsters typically get a statblock, but for random NPCs I typically just go with the elite array. Commoners don't even get that. :smalltongue:

Ozymandias9
2009-10-08, 10:20 PM
My best advise for generic NPCs early on is to take a modular approach. Have combat stat blocks for the appropriate character types (or sheets if you go all out). Have similar skill blocks worked out for non-combat interactions. And have character notes (or somewhat vague back-stories) worked out for role play if necessary. Only connect these things if the players make you.
{I generally keep one fully mechanically built NPC sheet per 10 generic NPC blocks. I use the same ration for general character notes to back-stories.}

At the end of the campaign, take any that are fully connected, and make up a character sheet. Keep it around and file it. With a different name, it can be used in a later campaign as a non-generic NPC or even as a short term stand in for a player to use when not using his character (if, for example, the party is separated or his character won't be ressed till the next town).

If the NPC was dragged particularly far into the plot, note the date (and if applicable a name to distinguish the table) so that you don't use it again as a different character so soon that it will seem repetitive.

Keep track of the more plot important characters in the same way. Generally, these should be relegated to more minor roles in later appearances. As your file builds, you will find that you have to do less and less work in the character generation department: the more plot centric character will still require tweaking, but it can usually be done a easily as (de)leveling them and adapting the character notes to the setting.

holywhippet
2009-10-08, 10:23 PM
You could go for a one size fits all approach. For example, all generic city guards might have the same stats/skills etc. All beggars might have the same stats/skills etc. Only give extra attention to important people.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-10-08, 10:39 PM
I always have my laptop on me for classes and such, so I have tons of NPCs statted out electronically; I don't need to print out anything since my group keeps their sheets electronically as well. I stat "named" NPCs separately from "mook" NPCs, all of whom get the same stats for the same role (so there's a "human guard" stat block and so on).

One thing I've found helpful is significantly condensing the stat block to make it easier to use in play. As an example, here's one of the generic enemy soldiers in my current campaign:

Heavy Skirmisher
Shifter (Junglerunner) Scout 2
Initiative +2
HP 17, Speed 50
Str 15, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 6
Feats: Weapon Focus (Longspear)
Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +1, AC 16 (+2 Dex, +4 armor [chain shirt]), Touch 12, Flat-footed 14
Attack: Longspear +4 Damage: 1d8+1d6+2 (20/x3)
Special: Uncanny Dodge
Skills: Class 5+mod, cross-class 2+mod, 7 skills

This format gives me all the relevant info in a very concise format. When I'm actually preparing an encounter, I condense it even further and copy it in the encounter file as the following:

Heavy Skirmisher
Initiative +2
HP 17, Speed 50
Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +1, AC 16, Touch 12, Flat-footed 14
--Longspear +4 | 1d8+1d6+2 (20/x3)
SQ: Uncanny Dodge
--C 5/CC 2/S 7

That's all the info I need to have for him, with everything pre-calculated and folded into the stat block; if I need to apply ability bonuses/penalties, negative levels, etc. I check the full stat block, but otherwise I can fit 6-7 mook NPCs on a page for ease of reference.

Delwugor
2009-10-08, 10:39 PM
I have done what holywhippet suggests for years. It greatly reduces the grunt work of stating unimportant NPCs allowing me to concentrate on the story, plot and adventures more. And the players really don't notice any kind of difference from a NPC with basic attack, defense, basic equipment, so forth and a NPC fully stated out with also skills, feats and so forth.

Short term but important NPCs and those that are suppose to be a significant challenge are stated out more but not fully. Skills aren't really needed so don't worry ... unless they are needed of course.

Long term NPCs get fully stated out just like characters and a small write up on motivation, personality and maybe background if important.

Lyth
2009-10-08, 10:43 PM
Index cards are your bestest friends :)

Like the others above me said, random people standing on the sidelines can be grouped into a single card/sheet. In OotS terms, these would be people like the dirt farmers, or the random people in the street in Azure City. If there's a lot of them, buy a rolodex :p

I tend to treat the more important and/or recurring NPCs (Hinjo, Miko, Shojo,Team Evil, etc) like players. Full character sheets carefully placed in sheet protectors and locked into my GM's binder. But that's me and my insane OCD

Jergmo
2009-10-08, 10:46 PM
Important NPCs: Character sheets

Unimportant NPCs: The following stat block: IE: Orc warrior
HP: 5 Init: +0 AC: 13 (+3 studded leather)
Attack: Falchion +4 melee (2d4+4) or javelin +1 ranged (1d6+3)
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +0, Will -2
Str 17, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 8, Wis 7, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +1, Spot +1
Feats: Alertness
Darkvision, light sensitivity

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-09, 03:52 AM
I'm rather lazy, unless they're particularly special I use a template or archetype. Only ones central to the campaign get their own sheets, the rest are merely screengrabs from my books.

AslanCross
2009-10-09, 03:58 AM
NPCs who are not meant to see combat can do without the sheets. My players aren't the type to try to attack everyone or steal from everyone they meet, so I don't stat them out.

valadil
2009-10-09, 09:52 AM
I use lazy evaluation. I only stat NPCs as needed. Barkeeps don't get stats. Sometimes I'll write up a level breakdown and a bit of loot if it's interesting. That's usually enough that I can improvise around if needed.

When I do stat NPCs I keep the stats low. No need for a full sheet. I usually list attacks, AC, saves, HP, and init. Relevant feats are listed too. If necessary I'll list maxed out skills. Fighter types get gear and casters get spells. Casters are always spontaneous (even if they're wizards, I cheat and make them spontaneous for my own sanity). At most this takes a quarter of a page.

I also sometimes make prototypes of NPCs. This is somewhere between an actual NPC and a generic. Two games ago I had an elite bunch of town guards. I wrote up their stats at even levels (basically a chart of attacks/AC/save/HP and a list of gained spells). If I needed a specific town guard I'd take the prototype and add a feat or two, unique familiar, and fill in a few missing spells. All in all it took 30 seconds tops to go from prototype to NPC. This method isn't always relevant though.

What I started doing in my last game is keeping NPCs on index cards. One side has name/description/rp notes. The other has stats. Usually the stat side is left blank and can be filled in as needed. Depending on the nature of the game index cards can be color coded depending on the group or organization the NPC belongs to.

Where I get really overzealous with organization is I have stickers I put on the sides of my NPC cards. Stickers are color codes for plot threads. Each plot that an NPC is involved in gives him another sticker. This is really nice because if I know the PCs are doing yellow plot today I can very quickly get out all the associated NPCs. It also helps me diversify the quests. I start having a tangle of plotty options instead of a single quest giver. Whether or not this is a good thing depends on the game you're trying to run though. I only found it necessary when I started GMing Game of Thrones and wanted to throw more plot at the PCs than they could be expected to handle.

Temet Nosce
2009-10-09, 10:03 AM
Mostly? I don't stat them at all. If my PCs end up attacking something, I'll probably have an idea of what class/level it is and can wing the rest without any difficulty by approximating their ability scores, knowing which saves are good, etc. I do not recommend doing this however unless you have an solid grasp of the rules, at least to the point where you can estimate saves/HP well enough to fool your players without checking the book.

I do stat up extremely important NPCs, but only in relation to the PCs. I won't bother copying down a full sheet, or even a stat block (HP, saves, etc can all safely be estimated) but I'll have noted what items they're carrying, their feats, and the like at least.

I *may* stat up NPCs that end up not just extremely important but who wind up being integral to the setting and personally appealing. In this case I will write up a full sheet, complete with backstory and may partially write out any related NPCs and organizations. This is seriously uncommon though. The last NPC I recall doing this for was a historian from an organization of chroniclers in charge of watching the PCs. This was... half a decade ago? I think I still have the sheets around somewhere...

oxybe
2009-10-09, 10:18 AM
key question i ask myself: does the NPC require statting based off PC interaction?

if the NPC is Joe Farmer who tells the PCs of the "eyes in the woods" then he's got 1 HP and his abilities are "Run" and "Run faster".

if the NPC is Bob McHack'n'slash the merc the PCs hired, he's given minimal stats: HP, Defenses, initiative, important skills, attack values.

if the NPC is The Dark Lord Chuckles the "he'd be scary if he was compentent" antagonist and his master Abbadon, they are given the full stat-out.

in the first instance, Joe doesn't need statting. his job is purely plot device and should he be attacked, he's killed. the guy is a chump, not an adventurer.

the second, Bob, interacts with the PCs on some level. he's got the core numbers but that's all that matters for him. his interaction is very basic and he's not meant to compete with the party for the spotlight and support them at best. Bob can also be used for Billy, Ben, Bart, ect... he just needs some reskinning.

Chuckles and Abbadon, however, are going to interact with the PCs multiple times, and since they are meant to share the spotlight with the PCs, their sheets are as complex as they are more unique individuals.

on the flipside however, were this a game where the PCs were farmers instead of adventurers, Joe Farmer would be more statted out then Chuckles or Abbadon and depending on how much Bob is meant to interact with them, he might get a better, more in depth, treatment. Chuckles or Abbadon are just too high in power compared to Joe & the farmer PCs.

all NPCs are statted in relation to the PCs and how they should interact with one another.

Korivan
2009-10-09, 11:21 AM
For special BBEG's, I'll stat them out. Randome people/monsters? Nope. I just whip up some basics in my head and use that. Even NPC's I have to send in with the group don't get stated. Since they tend to be clerics and wizards (my group tends to want to play hack n slash), I don't want them overshadowing them. So they stay in the background lending support. Whenever the PC's are getting cocky, non-appreciative, or they don't need the npc due to players coming and going, the npc dies. Why stat them up when I know their outcome.

root9125
2009-10-09, 02:42 PM
I'm going to assume you're talking about 3.5 here.

You should only make full sheets for important NPCs you expect your PCs to fight.

Depending on your group (both of mine are this way) that might be absolutely fracking everyone. So, I think a better way to say it would be anyone your PCs couldn't one-shot in the surprise round when they stab them on the street with no provocation.

kestrel404
2009-10-09, 02:53 PM
I do 4e style stat-blocks that fit on notecards. I've been doing this since before 3rd ed. And that's for major/recurring NPCs. For one-off monsters, it's just HP, AC, attack bonus and damage code, with the names of a couple of specials. Everything else I just keep in my head or wing it on the fly.

Dienekes
2009-10-09, 02:57 PM
I stat out a lot more than I need to. Bosses to mini-bosses have stats. Some major NPCs (the helpful kind) have stats. And bare bones stats for elven soldier, dwarf soldier, human soldier, lieutenants, ect. And nothing for commoners or named but unimportant NPCs

But I have them all on a word document, so I just do Find: Insert Name Here and get to what I want in less than a second. So no hasslingly looking through papers to find a character sheet.