PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Finding an invisible foe

MacGiolla
2009-10-08, 10:43 PM
I'm DM'ing a game and one of the bad guys is trying to flee from the party. He made and assassination attempt on one of the players and then ran away. He just cast invisibility on himself and moved away.

My question is, what happens if one of the players moves through the square he is in (I'm assuming he can let them pass), do they have an opportunity to locate him? What happens if they end their move in the same square that he is in?

I've tried to look up an official answer but cant seem to find one.

Ernir
2009-10-08, 11:02 PM
It's in the description of the Spot skill. Here's the full table as it pertains to knowing whether something invisible is present: (linky) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#spot)

As for knowing where it is, that is in the epic skill use section too, here's the description for Listen: (another linky) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#listen)

You passively get one spot or listen check. It is possible to retry a failed spot check or a listen check as a move action.

Eldariel
2009-10-08, 11:14 PM
As for finding someone by touch, ending up in the same square should generally reveal the invisible guy provided they're about of the same size. However, if the invisible person is small enough to be able to fit in the same square, I wouldn't allow locating him.

But yeah, I'd say touch is a perfectly legitimate way of locating someone invisible. Given how many squares there are, it's pretty hard anyways (due to how D&D handles turns, ending up in the same square effectively means catching up with him and happening in the right location, so it's not some "he stands still while you trample around trying to hit him"-scenario, really)

Darrin
2009-10-08, 11:22 PM
My question is, what happens if one of the players moves through the square he is in (I'm assuming he can let them pass), do they have an opportunity to locate him? What happens if they end their move in the same square that he is in?

Treat it as an accidental overrun attempt. The invisible creature gets an AoO (which they will most likely decline) and has the option to let the player move on through (which they will most likely do). I'd probably give the player a free spot or listen check to detect the invisible creature moving out of the way. If the invisible creature takes an AoO or declines to move out of the way, the player can make an overrun check to push them out of the way and keep moving. I might also give the player the option to stop moving there and start a bull rush instead. If the player actually had the audacity to take Improved Overrun... the invisible creature can't avoid, and the player has to either stop moving or make an overrun check.

If the player stops moving in the square where the invisible creature is standing... it won't work as an overrun because there's now a stacking violation in that square. Treat it as an accidental bull rush. The two bumped into each other (the invisible creature doesn't have the option to let the player move on by), so make opposed strength checks to see who gets pushed out of the square.