PDA

View Full Version : Sleepy Roleplaying?

TelemontTanthul
2009-10-09, 01:15 AM
I know that sometimes my games of DnD can go well into the night.

And that got me thinking...

Has anyone you know ever fallen asleep while playing Dungeons and Dragons?

What was the LONGEST DnD session you have ever had?

Was it eventful?

Darcand
2009-10-09, 01:20 AM
I've gone fourteen or fifteen hours, had everyone crash out around the house, then get up the next day and pick back up over breakfast.

But no, marathon sessions like that are seldom productive. I like to keep the sessions in the 2-4 hour range.

Dienekes
2009-10-09, 01:22 AM
Yep, I GM for a party and there were 2 players who through no fault of their own had missed a few to many sessions and their characters were trailing on levels. Actually, I'll alter that. One of them was trailing by no fault of their own, the other was entirely his fault. So the one who was entirely at fault with dragging behind kept pestering me for a situation to get his character back up to par. After b***hing at me for a few days I agreed if the other player said he'd do go for it as well since it would be unfair for me to invite 1 and not the other. The annoying player then suggests just staying over at our houses and pulling an all nighter DnD extravaperiganza. We plan everything out, and a 11:00ish we get started. The two characters decided to go off on their own, so I had to do one then the other. So I just finished GMing for annoying one and went to the other and in less then a half hour annoying one was asleep on my couch.

This guy pestered me for days for this, then fell asleep in about 2 hours. And then had the gall to try and wheedle the experience out of me anyway.

And longest, not actually too long really. I've done 10 hour sprees normally, though there was once where my group essentially came together played all day went home came the next day, played all day, went home, for 4 days straight.

That was a fun weekend

Yar
2009-10-09, 01:23 AM
72 hours straight. Needless to say it got strange once the sleep deprivation kicked in and we were running on caffeine and ginseng. I don't remember the last half of the last day except for one thing about monkeys in pants and an arum vorax.

starwoof
2009-10-09, 01:25 AM
Longest session that I can remember was eleven hours of d20 future, zombie apocalypse on the moon. Very productive. Only one party member (out of two) got eaten by zombies. I survived and we hit level 3 at noon. Then we went to bed.

We picked up that evening and played for another 6 hours or so.

Basically at 10 pm we all chugged an Amp, and I kept us all supplied with mountain dew and coke for the rest of the night. Probably the only reason the GM let me have a hoverboard.:smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Come to think of it, there was a week where we woke up and played dnd 3.5 until we fell asleep, only breaking to eat. We got to level seven.:smalltongue:

BritishBill
2009-10-09, 01:36 AM
no one has ever fallen asleep at one of my games. we usually play from afternoon to around midnight. Never really had an overnight session.

starwoof
2009-10-09, 01:55 AM
Actually we have one guy who falls asleep at the table regularly. Usually it happens around 2 am when I'm out of cure spells and he's on the ground. Again.

AslanCross
2009-10-09, 02:28 AM
We usually play during the day. Longest we've gone was from about 11 am to 5 pm. I've been in games that have defeated my formidable attention span, however. It was mostly because the DM overbuffed the grunts while leaving the "bosses" rather pathetic. It was also because we were playing at the end of a rather exhausting day---the DM's house was rather far and the day itself was rather full.

Killer Angel
2009-10-09, 02:47 AM
I know that sometimes my games of DnD can go well into the night.
And that got me thinking...

Yep, one of my friends often fall asleep while we play.
Note that we play in the afternoon, usually from 14.30 to 18.30: the problem is that he stays awake 'til 5.00 playing WOW... :smallsmile:

Asheram
2009-10-09, 05:18 AM
Three days, with people sleeping in shifts.
That was such a fun weekend... *bliss*

shadow_archmagi
2009-10-09, 06:30 AM
I saw a noon-midnight session once. Most of that group's games lasted obscenely long. They had to, because it was the only way anything got done. I had a session once that lasted over eight hours that I can summarize as:

1. Spawned in. The rest of the group had pre-existing characters, whereas this was my first day. They were already in a sewer.
2. Proceed 10 feet. Get attacked by rats.
3. Proceed 10 feet. Get attacked by gelatinous cubes.
4. Retreat to town, craft scrolls, prepare up.
5. Continue walking through sewer.
6. Discover ambush.
7. Quit session, go home.

Ormur
2009-10-09, 06:47 AM
I once fell asleep at a session that was held in my room so I was in bed snoring while the rest of the group finished. I woke up when they left and asked them to turn of the lights.

Comet
2009-10-09, 06:58 AM
We used to play nothing but overnight sessions of White Wolf games.
One of the players fell asleep almost every time. He had tough days and was very tired in the evening. The fact that we tended to start gaming at around 23:00 didn't help.
It was hilarious :smallbiggrin:

Gnaeus
2009-10-09, 08:33 AM
My old gaming group included a number of smokers of organic non-tobacco products. People falling asleep was not uncommon. We also had one very memorable 90 minute long fight with a non-magical manhole cover.

jokey665
2009-10-09, 09:48 AM
I've had entire weekends dedicated to gaming. We took a couple 4-6 hour sleep breaks but otherwise played from Friday afternoon to Sunday night.

9mm
2009-10-09, 10:00 AM
yes... though the guy in question was drinking alcohol at the time.

Kilmrak
2009-10-09, 10:34 AM
I once DM'ed a session that went from 10am on a friday till 2pm the next day. So about 28 hours of DMing for a group of six in the final half of the Tomb of Horrors. They finished it up (and they were very upset at the number of times they had died or very nearly died:smalltongue:) but 1 person fell asleep(after she died) and another was very drowsy but aside from them it went well. Ussually my sessions last about 5-10 hours.

Korivan
2009-10-09, 11:10 AM
Three of us are married with children...we don't get the option of having a marathon. Even before that though, the longest was probably 10-12 hours, having started in the afternoon, ending well past midnight. Nobody fell asleep. Though I will say this, the longer the sessions, last, the less that tends to get accomplished. And sessions tend to take longer when noone has a character ready, then we spend time on that. Thankfully, the guys are getting faster with thier characters. 1 person can still take 3-4 hours if not helped and still not know what hes doing.

Da Pwnzlord
2009-10-09, 11:30 AM
We usually break out Kobolds ate my Baby around 12 at night if we're doing an all-nighter. Crazyness ensues.

jiriku
2009-10-09, 11:33 AM
I routinely used to play with a guy who worked two jobs and only slept 2-3 hours per night...about a third of it during the game. He'd sit at the table with his head nodding, micronapping and occasionally ripping out a loud snore. Every time we asked if he wanted to go home and get some sleep, he'd say "no, no, i'm alright"...and then pass out again ten minutes later.

Eventually he stopped showing up and stayed home and slept. Wise move.

I have run a 12-hour game once, from about 8pm to 8am. It was a solo horror adventure, although the player's brother and sister stayed up just to watch. I run pretty nasty horror games, so no one was sleeping...and his sister had nightmares for days. :smallcool:

shadow_archmagi
2009-10-09, 12:17 PM
My old gaming group included a number of smokers of organic non-tobacco products. People falling asleep was not uncommon. We also had one very memorable 90 minute long fight with a non-magical manhole cover.

I bet the ingame events were even funnier.

oxybe
2009-10-09, 12:39 PM
happened to me once about a year or two ago. i normally take the 9am bus to work and get home at 8pm, at a job that is mentally & emotionally tiring (tech support).

after doing my 6th shift in a row without a day off & having sleep problems the night before, my brain was shut off. it went home, i went to the session.

after dozing off twice, the group just looked at me and told me to go home as i was in no state to game.

the biggest problem with my sleeping is i kinda have a snoring problem. i've been known to wake up other people, so sleeping with my room door closed is standard operating procedure at home. not possible when you're playing at the FLGS and you suddenly let out a loud "SSSSNRRRRRKOOORRRE... HUUUUUUUFFFFF"

nowadays, our longest sessions are normally 8 or so hours, but when i was in school i would normally game for 8+hours, longest being "game for 8, take a sleep break, breakfast, game for 8"

kestrel404
2009-10-09, 12:48 PM
I fell asleep for an hour in the middle of the World's Largest Dungeon, about 7 or 8 hours into the session. I was the rogue. They woke me up when we got out of combat so I could keep looking for traps.

As for longest uninterupted gaming session - had to be the last 4th Ed dungeon delve I was in. Four 14th level characters on a delve (I don't recall the name, but it was the one that starts with a Mindflayer/Umberhulk encounter), and it took us 13-14 hours to finish 3 encounters - primarily because at least 2 of the party members were dazed (only a single standard action each round) at any given time for the entirety of the 3 encounters.

Telonius
2009-10-09, 01:08 PM
12 hours straight, final battle of the Shackled City adventure path. We had to call a break when the DM fell asleep.

Claudius Maximus
2009-10-09, 01:23 PM
I routinely do 10 hour games, but my longest may have been ~15. I started a huge battle late in the session, and it was so tense that nobody wanted to stop. Some were already rolling new characters when they realized that they actually won, at which point we immediately went to sleep because of the disgusting lateness.

I have run games that ended at 9:00 AM, but they started at midnight, so they don't get the length record. We were still very tired though.

I have one player who sleeps through entire sessions. He contributes nothing except more paperwork for me as I have to play his character as an NPC. :smallannoyed:

Akal Saris
2009-10-09, 01:55 PM
Back in middle school I used to visit my old elementary school friends in LA for the weekend, and I think we might have pulled ~18 hour sessions once or twice, where we started at noon and ended at 6am the next day (and possibly started again later in the afternoon the next day).

Tons of fun, and huge amounts of things happened in those games - mostly because there were usually only 1-2 PCs and it was very freeform. So much fun. Nobody ever fell asleep in those games, though once during a game of one of some other old-school rpg my friend dozed off and kept mumbling "anonymous break teams...." at regular intervals.

Since college, I think the longest stretch has been from 11am-7pm or so, just a few weekends ago - and my friend was definitely nodding off.

Tyrmatt
2009-10-09, 02:22 PM
I bet the ingame events were even funnier.

I think you just won the thread there.

I used to play a few IRC games into the night and we did once have to send repeated nudges and pokes via every IM client we had between us to one player. He had just got a brand new office chair. Apparently a very comfy one.

TelemontTanthul
2009-10-09, 06:56 PM
On the few occasions where we played an all-nighter of DnD, it was usually a really goofy campaign, since it is REALLY difficult to pay attention to something relatively serious for such extended periods of time.

The most memorable of these sessions was "Gnome Extermination".

It involved a flying airship full of drunken gnomes.

And that airship crashing into a Gnomish Metropolis.

A nuclear reactor on this ship (apparently atomic theory had been discovered)

The DM, so sleep deprived and uncaring of the results told us that the ship killed 16 million gnomes or something ridiculous.

Then on a Halloween-Eve session, the gnomes of that city came back as living dead and attacked us.

That encounter took FOREVER. (We were all granted Great Cleave for that session, it was VERY helpful.)

and Alchemist Fire was our best friend.

Pika...
2009-10-09, 07:15 PM
Currently my games are going from 4pm/5pm to 1amish.

When I played with my old (new current again) group we've gotten there at 10am and stayed until 3-4ish in the morning.

A fellow member here can confirm that. You know who you are. :smallamused:

dragonfan6490
2009-10-09, 08:02 PM
Oh how I miss my old group.

My old DnD group did marathon sessions, usually starting between 7 and 9 pm and ending anywhere from 4 to 9 am. Oh those were the days. We did this every other week and one of my friends was always the one to fall asleep. Luckily, he was the Fighter, so we just yelled at him to make an attack roll and he would go back to sleep, since he was too tired to RP.

My current group, we meet every week, get started between 6 and 7 and end about 11. *sigh* A good long marathon session would be nice now and then.

RandomNPC
2009-10-09, 08:57 PM
we game from 5-9 most game days, and i've got a guy who drives pizza delivery late into the night most nights, and can't sleep most days because of "city noise" like cement trucks going down the street, his house is not the most quiet in town... He sleeps for an hour at most when he's having a bad week, three more snoozes and we can make a photo album of him sleeping with dice in hand on the computer.

TheOtherGeorgeW
2009-10-10, 12:48 AM
The group I played with in college normally gamed from noon till around 1 or 2 in the morning. There was the one session where we played until 3:30 or so though. . . Ah, the good old days.

Gelondil
2009-10-10, 05:43 AM

Too many times. But, I've never actually had anybody "crash" during a game.
Generally players clock themselves out of a game when they're about to fall asleep, but there are some people who simply stop paying attention and slowly doze off. In fact, it just happened tonight.

What was the LONGEST DnD session you have ever had?

Was it eventful?

Unfortunately, my gaming friends do not do marathon sessions, due to spouses or mismatched workdays, or simple uninterest. For this reason, I've never had a marathon of D&D, specifically.

The longest "marathon" gaming session I had was actually a VERY eventful White Wolf game which included 2 back-to-back sessions averaging 15 hours each with an 6-hour sleep break. It could have been longer, but it started on a "friday" after 8 hours of fast-food work.

GallóglachMaxim
2009-10-10, 07:39 AM
One of my regular players is very sleepy, and because I DM over the internet with a fifteen hour time difference, the games go pretty late their time. We usually call the game for the night the second or third time her girlfriend needs to wake her up.

Longest session was five hours or so, we made it to 1am or so before the sleep rule kicked in.

Voldecanter
2009-10-10, 09:58 AM
My Gaiming Group starts in the evening and usually ends at 4-5 am the next morning . One of the Players nearly always falls alseep .

Ashes
2009-10-10, 11:02 AM
Some years ago, we had a player who slept a lot in my group.
All his time always went with talking about D&D and especially with creating characters, but when we actually played he was always so tired that he didn't contribute anything and either went home in the middle of everything or just fell asleep.
That got old real quick, so we stopped inviting him, and let in another guy who actually wanted to play.

We've done marathon sessions a lot. Throughout most of my teens, that's the only way we ever played, and we still do it a lot during vacations. I think we did a 15-16 hour session once, as the longest. I think it was a Call of Cthulhu session, that left us all actually frightened.

Slavaa
2009-10-10, 12:09 PM
I've previously considered writing an adventure to be played in one sitting, no earlier than 10 pm and going into the night. The plot would have something to do with going deeper and deeper into a wizard's domain, which would have enchantments causing anyone who enters to get gradually sleepier.

In the tower/cave/whatever would be small vials of bubbling liquids, some brown, some clear and some orange. Whenever someone would opt to drink some of the liquids, I'd hand them a glass of Coke, Sprite or Orange cola.

Haven't gotten around to writing it, might just edit an existing one...