PDA

View Full Version : Creepy templates 3.5

BobVosh
2009-10-09, 02:28 AM
I'm running a game where the PCs are going to run into a drow transmuter/necromancer type character. So I am planning on making a bunch of fun messed up monsters. I'm looking for templates (homebrewed or otherwise) that are just plain Lovecraftian.

Ones like the broken, by the Vorpal Tribble. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10905)

Any templates or even base creatures worth noting beyond the MM1-MM4 would be appreciated.

AslanCross
2009-10-09, 02:39 AM
Lords of Madness has Pseudonatural and Half-Farspawn, which are definitely Lovecraftian. Half Farspawn have the ability to morph into tentacle monsters.

For Base Creatures:

There's also a new race that's exclusive to LOM called the Tsochar, which are tentacle-like creatures that look soft and squishy but are actually as tough as steel cable. They entangle themselves together as adults and possess other creatures by literally slipping their tendrils in between the victim's organs.

Eberron's Daelkyr have spawned more than a few creepy critters:
-Dolgaunts (ECS) (eyeless, bloodsucking hobgoblin mutants with tentacles)
-Dolgrims (ECS) (two goblins mashed together into one body)
-Dolghasts (Magic of Eberron) (aberrations made of the flesh of both dead and living regenerating creatures that constantly boil and shift between their components; they can boil away the flesh of their victims with their claws)
-The Daelkyr themselves are pretty nightmarish lords of madness, but they're CR 20 apiece.

There are also some undead from Magic of Eberron who are rather creepy:
-Urdark: Ghostly faceless child made from the psyche of a psychotic dead person. Giggles unsettlingly.
-Vour: Undead altered with aberrant tissue; limbs replaced with tentacles. The moment they're created, they rip off their own faces and eat them. They also lovingly peel off the faces of their victims.

BobVosh
2009-10-09, 04:10 AM
Oh thats an excellent point. Looking for around a CR 10 a pop.
Both of the ghosts are pretty cool. Odd that they both do the faceless thing, but makes em easy to run together.

Oh ya, I remember the Tsochar. Tentacles and I have a history ever since my alchemical combined hyper dexterous tentacle apparatus with 1000-fold courtesan calculations. I created the martial art style named "La Blue Girl."

Anyway. Dolghasts sound promising. Need to find my eberron stuff apparently.

arguskos
2009-10-09, 04:13 AM
Check out the Voor, from MM4. It doesn't seem creepy at first, til you really think about it. It's a blind wall-crawling tentacle monster that can hear your heartbeat from 30 paces, and ventilate you from the same range, all in the dark without making a sound. That just HAS to be bad for you. :smallcool:

Keld Denar
2009-10-09, 04:47 AM
Alhoon in the MMV, IIRC, are very undeady and very tentacley. They are essentially undead mind flayers, and very badass in that role. Perfect undead aberration overlords for any "take over the world" plot.

JellyPooga
2009-10-09, 04:57 AM
Chameleonic (FR:Underdark) is pretty creepy...grants the recipient a climb speed, colour-shifting skin and a 10ft tongue :smalleek:

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-09, 05:30 AM
Does being ignored by all deities count as creepy?

If so, I recommend That God Never Saw (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118887). One of my favorite bits of homebrew.

BobVosh
2009-10-09, 05:38 AM
I really like that template. Can't help but notice it is Vorpal Tribble again. Going to search for more homebrew by him.

Chameleonic sounds like that critter from resident evil. Could be fun.

Alhoon will work very well for a later section of the campaign, amusingly enough. Maybe a cameo would help.

Thanks for the help so far, keep em coming if you got em.

Aricandor
2009-10-09, 05:56 AM
Depending on how inspired you feel, you could always just use some old templates with a fair bit if powers (like the Half-whathaveyous in MM1) and simply give them new appearance descriptions. Beyond what has been mentioned, I can't remember much that's terrifying by default, so you might have to resort to doing something like this if you want a wide variety of outright Cthulhu-spawned horrors. :smallsmile:

The Tygre
2009-10-09, 10:41 AM
I really like that template. Can't help but notice it is Vorpal Tribble again. Going to search for more homebrew by him.

I just have it all printed out and filed after The Demented One and Krimm Blackleaf. As for a really good creepy template... Well, I guess I can pull from my fourth party reservoir and recommend the Tentacled template from the Guide to Unlawful Carnal Knowledge. Don't... don't look too much into that. It's exactly what it implies. I wish I had my 3rd party stuff on templates to give you a better recommendation, but alas, they are away from me at present. I'll be back with a bit more later.

BobVosh
2009-10-10, 04:40 PM
The Demented One (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3865485&postcount=2)
Krimm_Blackleaf (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4589069&postcount=50)
The Vorpal Tribble (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4776919)
Just in case anyone is looking for their compendiums.

I gotta say some brilliant work is done by these three. Haven't found anything I dislike.

Kylarra
2009-10-10, 04:43 PM
Pseudonatural (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/pseudonaturalCreature.htm)

>_>

BobVosh
2009-10-10, 05:07 PM
I think my party would rebel if I have a minimum of a cr 16.25 critter running around.

Although it would be funny to tell the barbarian who is attacking "your attack doesn't hurt the cat."

Jair Barik
2009-10-10, 05:18 PM
Some creepy ones.
Swarmshifter from LM. Lets them turn into a swarm of bats, rats, scarabs, sand, blood... Those last two can be pretty creepy. undead only template FYI.
Yellow musk creeper and its template (FF) are kinda creepy
Then theres Half Golem (MM2) and if you want an UBER critter theres also the titanic template from the same book

KillianHawkeye
2009-10-10, 07:07 PM
I think my party would rebel if I have a minimum of a cr 16.25 critter running around.

Although it would be funny to tell the barbarian who is attacking "your attack doesn't hurt the cat."

Yeah, don't use the EPIC pseudonatural template found in the SRD. Use the one from Lords of Madness. Although I think I need to use "EPIC pseudonatural kitty" in a game someday. :smallamused:

Fluffles
2009-10-10, 07:39 PM
Just stack random templates :)

Half-Fiend Insectile Giant wielding 3 spiked chains. For added fin throw on another head so it gets iteratives with all of the weapons :smallbiggrin:

Actually, Reptilian and Insectile are good over all :D And pretty much all other SS templates :smallbiggrin:

Rappy
2009-10-10, 07:50 PM
The Aberrant, Deep One, Wretched, and Mindbender templates (all from the Book of Templates Deluxe Edition) are created with creepy in mind. You might also find the Terror Vampire and Necrovore from the same book useful as well, at least if you want some undead themes mixed in.

wizuriel
2009-10-10, 08:04 PM
Call of Cthulu has a lower CR worm that walks template

Zeta Kai
2009-10-10, 08:19 PM
Lichloved. :smallyuk: [/thread]

Volkov
2009-10-11, 11:18 AM
The Psuedonatural Template is creepy. Especially with the picture they show in the lords of madness. That Hippogryph just looks so freaky.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-11, 11:30 AM
Lichloved. :smallyuk: [/thread]

Silly Zeta Kai, that's a feat. :smalltongue:

...but I agree on the :smallyuk: