PDA

View Full Version : 4E I kinda need help

Mugen Nightgale
2009-10-09, 09:11 AM
Hello, I'm having some problems in understanding some of the basic mechanics of the 4E about the use of Weapons.

My question is about weapon finesse. A rogue that will use light blades can use his dexterity to hit with it?

I'm sorry if that's a silly question. And I thank you for any help about the matter.

nightwyrm
2009-10-09, 09:15 AM
1. You always add half your level and your weapon prof bonus if there's a weapon keyword in the power.

2. There is no weapon finesse in 4e

Did you read the manual? More specifically, the section before the class descriptions.

Hal
2009-10-09, 09:19 AM
Any attack that has the "weapon" descriptor will use the proficiency bonus to-hit. "Strength" tells you which attribute bonus is being used as well. And don't forget your "half level" bonus to hit as well.

So, for example, a Fighter using Cleave with a long sword, at level two, will have a hit bonus of 4+Str (3 for longsword, 1 for half level).

Yakk
2009-10-09, 09:27 AM
So, the basic attack action with melee weapons use strength, unless you have the "melee training" feat (which lets you use any attribute you want).

Rogue powers are not the basic attack action -- they all use dex to attack with.

Each power says how you attack with it in the Attack line.

Powers with the Weapon keyword get a bonus to the attack roll equal to the weapon proficiency bonus, and the weapon enhancement bonus (enchanted weapons).

When you make an attack, you always add 1/2 your level (rounded down) to your attack roll.

So a weapon power that reads:
Attack: Int vs Will
would mean you roll:
Int Bonus + 1/2 Level + Weapon Proficiency Bonus + Weapon Enhancement Bonus + d20 vs target number of the defender's Will.

Powers that have the Implement keyword instead add the enhancement bonus of the implement you are using (which doesn't apply to most rogue powers).

Mugen Nightgale
2009-10-09, 09:33 AM
Oh, thank you very much people. And sorry for the trouble. =]

Kurald Galain
2009-10-09, 09:35 AM
When you make an attack, you always add 1/2 your level (rounded down) to your attack roll.
For powers, yes. Certain items make an exception to this, notably alchemical stuff.

Mando Knight
2009-10-09, 10:22 AM
So, the basic attack action with melee weapons use strength, unless you have the "melee training" feat (which lets you use any attribute you want).

Rogue powers are not the basic attack action -- they all use dex to attack with.

Notes on this (otherwise correct) post:

Melee Training is in PHB2. If you don't have DDI or PHB2, get it. Now.

In general, class-given powers are not basic attacks. However, some powers will state that they count as melee or ranged basic attacks, and some feats allow conversion of powers into basic attacks. These abilities are often sought after for the purpose of combining them with classes such as the Warlord, whose best At-Will is telling the guy with the giant axe to make a basic attack, and the Seeker (PHB3), who can make a basic ranged attack once an encounter when he misses.