PDA

View Full Version : Monster - Waffle Walker

Scow2
2009-10-09, 01:25 PM
I got this idea from a certain easter-egg encounter in Quest for Glory III (A Sierra Adventure/RPG game)... and thought it would be nice to have as an occassional goofy encounter. However, though it is absurd, I'd also like to see it put to use in a serious campaign as well. Input would be helpful.

Awful Waffle Walker
Small Aberration
Hit Dice: 1d8 +10 (19 HP)
Initiative: -2 (Dex)
Speed: 40 ft
AC: 10 (+1 natural, +1 size, -2 dex)
Attacks: None Normal
Damage: Flying Charge, 1d6 + syrupy mess + Speed Bonus
Face/Reach:5 ft. by 5 ft./0 ft
Special Attacks: Flying Slam, Trample, Syrupy Mess
Special Qualities: Syrup residue, Knockdown, 100% edible, piercing resistance, divide, Homogenous, blind, deaf, Overbake, cold immunity, regrowth, always rolling, grapple vulnerability.
Saves: +1 fort, Ref -1, Will-4
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 6, Con 11, Int -, Wis 1, Cha 1
Climate/Terrain: Warm Desert and Plains
Organization: Solitary or Herd (2-5)
Challenge Rating: 1/6
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 2-4(small), 5-8 HD (Medium Size), 9-16 HD (Large), 17-32 (Huge), 33-64 (Gargantuan), 65-128 (Collosal)

Waffle Walkers are animated, living waffles that roll blindly across deserts and savannahs, created by an eccentric wizard. They are an invaluable commodity in desert lands, since they are a reliable, renewable food source, and for the protective and cosmetic qualities of the oily residue from their "syrup".

Combat
Because they lack sensory organs, Awful Waffle Walkers are not aggressive. However, they are prone to inadvertently running into people as they fly across the terrain, and have limited intuition to percieve and attack threats, using their momentum to crush or disable foes.

Flying Slam: The Waffle Walker can attempt to ram into any creature up to one size larger than itself as part of a double-move or run action, making an attack roll with a +2 or +4 momentum bonus respectively, dealing 1d6+1 or 1d8+2 points of subdual damage, and automatically making an opposed trip roll with a +4 momentum bonus at hustle (double move) speed or +8 momentum bonus at run speed, and inflicting the effects of Syrupy Mess. Using this requires moving into a creatures square, provoking an attack of opportunity. If the AoO splits or holds the Walker, damage is negated and the trip attack suffers a -4 circumstance penalty.
Syrupy Mess: Any creature that comes in contact with a waffle walker must make a reflex save (DC 14) or be covered in syrup and butter. The sticky mess causes a -2 circumstance penalty to all dexterity checks and attack rolls, and reduces dexterity modifier by 1. If such a syrup-coated person touches the walker again, an additional reflex save (DC 15) is needed to avoid being glued in place, as though hit by a Tanglefoot bag. It takes a full-round action to eat enough syrup to free oneself from the stick situation. Anyone grappling the Waffle Walker automatically suffers both effects, but the gluing effect does not affect the ability to grapple with the Waffle.
Grapple Vulnerability: The square ridges on broad sides of the Waffle Walker's body give a -4 penalty to avoid being grappled, and a creature can make a grapple check as an attack of opportunity if the waffle enters the creature's space, usually during its Flying Slam attack.
100% Edible: Any bite attacks against the Waffle Walker ignore natural armor and deal full damage. Creatures with a mouth but no natural bite attack can bite it if they are grappling it for 1d2 points of damage (no strength modifier) for a medium-sized creature, adjusted appropriately for size. Bite attacks automatically hit a grappled waffle walker.
Divide: Any piercing or slashing attack against a waffle walker that inflicts damage cuts out a new waffle walker with hitpoints equal to the damage inflicted and a dex score of 0. The original Waffle Walker's dex and speed scores are reduced by a cumulative 25% whenever the walker is reduced to 75%, 50%, and 25% of its hitpoints, the reduction is doubled if a single blow does 25% or more of its total HP in a single hit (any blow that deals 50% of its total HP in a single blow completely imobilizes it).
Piercing Resistance: All piercing attacks against the Waffle Walker do only 25% damage as slashing.
Homogenous: The Waffle Walker gets bonus Hitpoints based on size as if it were a Construct. It lacks organs and is thus immune to sneak attacks, Favored Enemy damage bonuses, subdual damage, blugeoning damage, energy damage, Coup de Graces, and most criticals. Because it's disc structure is critical to locomotion, Slashing and piercing weapons can still score critical hits.
Overbake: Fire- and lightning- based attacks do half damage to waffle walkers and causes the outer flesh to harden, granting an additional +1 natural armor bonus for each dice of damage dealt, expiring when the fire damage heals.
Cold Immunity: Freezing the waffle hardens it instead of damaging it, giving it one temporary hit point for every dice of cold damage inflicted. D8 and above count as two dice for this calculation.
Always Rolling: Waffle Walkers changes direction over the land as well as a flying creature with Average maneuverablity moves through the air. It also takes time to get up to speed, only able to take a partial action on the turn it starts moving, and cannot run until its third turn of motion. If it is stopped, it must make a Reflex Save (DC 10) or fall prone, requiring a full-round action to right itself. Missed Flying Slams do not stop its movement.
Syrup Residue: The Syrup and Butter mixture covering the waffle walker contains a third, very useful compound. More details below

Waffle Walker Syrup Residual Oil

In addition to fluids chemically identical to syrup and butter, a Waffle Walker also excretes a thin, light-tan oily substance that adheres and soaks into organic materials, and serves as a potent natural repellant. It is odorless, tasteless, and blends in perfectly with whatever material it clings to.

The residue creates a protective film over a person's skin, sealing in water and reflecting sunlight, granting a +4 alchemy bonus to fortitude saves against harsh weather effects associated with hot climates, such as dehydration and heat stroke.

It also works as a repellant to other substances, providing a +2 alchemy bonus to reflex saves against acids and contact with caustic substances, +1 alchemy bonus to escape artist checks, and immunity to adhesive effects such as Tanglefoot Bags, and Webs, of both mundane and magical origin. The excepion to this rule is sensibly a Waffle Walker's Syrupy Mess. It also repels dirt, grime, sand, perspiration, static-clingy clothes, oil of slipperyness, etc.

Cieyrin
2009-10-09, 01:42 PM
lol, I couldn't help myself when I saw a thread about sentient waffles.

My only nitpick is that it being an aberation, as they tend to be rather inedible (though in this case it may be different). I'd recommend making them constructs made of waffles instead. This way you don't have to worry about such things as what they need to eat and drink or dying of old age (though perhaps they'll go stale).

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

Flarp
2009-10-09, 01:43 PM
Wouldn't a lack of sensory organs mean no wisdom score?

Sorry, I'm a little sketchy on the 1 vs. 0 vs. - ability rules.

Cieyrin
2009-10-09, 02:00 PM
Wouldn't a lack of sensory organs mean no wisdom score?

Sorry, I'm a little sketchy on the 1 vs. 0 vs. - ability rules.

Nah, you need at least a Wisdom and Charisma of 1 to be a creature, sensory organs or otherwise. If you don't, you're an object.

Scow2
2009-10-09, 03:21 PM
They aren't constructs because they are technically alive. I didn't mention their manner of sustenance to avoid adding too much trivial information, but they gain sustenance from photosynthesis and carbon compounds, the Syrup residue stuff being the primary absorption agent, which is why it clings so tightly to flesh. It's not strong enough a solvent to harm living flesh, but it does clean up dead skin cells. I just didn't feel like mentioning the numerous cosmetic and hygiene qualities of the oily residue because they aren't reflected in stats and mechanics. I think I forgot to note it wears off in 2d6 days. They don't die of old age because of their perpetual regrowth cycle. I guess I could add advancement all the way to Colossal Waffle Walker to indicate how large they can grow, but something usually cuts them down to size before then.

I made them Aberration because I was under the impression that was the type for anything that wasn't anything else. It's not a beast, it's genuinely alive, it's definately not any form of humanoid, it's from the material plane... Now the Pizza elemental, on the other hand... that will be an Outsider =).

DracoDei
2009-10-10, 03:52 PM
Overbake: Fire- and lightning- based attacks do not harm waffle walkers, but it causes the outer layers to harden, granting an additional +1 natural armor bonus for each dice of damage dealt, expiring when the fire damage heals.
There is not damage to heal, so as writen it either ends instantly or never.

And I would include the cosmetic effects... more fluff is almost always a good thing.

Debihuman
2009-10-11, 11:12 AM
I love the idea of food monsters just cuz they are funny.

One thing I noticed is that it gains bonus hit points like an Ooze, but Oozes don't gain bonus hit points based on size. Constructs get bonus hit points based on size. A Small Construct gets 10 bonus hit points which would be right, if you had given your creature +10 bonus hit points to get the 14 hit points. Instead, you only gave it +5. It looks like it should be 1d8+10 (14 hp), not 1d8+5 (9 hp) but the call is yours.

Lightning generally is electricity damage rather than fire damage although it can cause fires.

You really should update this creature to the 3.5 format. You can find it all here: http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm

You gave it Trample as a special attack but didn't list below and the amount of damage should be in the stat block.

Debby

DracoDei
2009-10-11, 02:50 PM
Maybe it is a 3.0 creature, not 3.5?

sciencepanda
2009-10-11, 05:48 PM
Oh man, and here I was thinking I was the only Quest for Glory fan on earth.

*shakes hand*

Debihuman
2009-10-11, 11:53 PM
Maybe it is a 3.0 creature, not 3.5?

Almost no one here posts in 3.0 any more which is why I suggested it in the first place.

Debby

Scow2
2009-10-12, 01:40 PM
Yeah... I based it off the 3.0 template, since I only had 3.5 stuff from the srd and some digital sourcebooks. I only had my 3.0 monster manual on hand, and usually play 3.5 with so much houseruled in from 3.0 that it might as well be 3.5.

I blame ADD for the incoherency of the fire damage effect. Since the waffles hitpoints essentially determine how many pieces it can be cut into and not how long before it ceases to exist (only eating them can destroy them), I wasn't sure how to have fire damage affect it. In retrospect think it would be best to take half damage from fire, representing the waffle charring and becoming inedible, dead flesh.

I'm going to save me a headache and make its Flying Slam a basic Slam attack, with rules explaining that it can only use this as a bull-rush action, also allowing me to give it the trample attack against creatures one size smaller than it.