PDA

View Full Version : Need a Race (Help request)

boomwolf
2009-10-09, 03:46 PM
Well, I need some help to flesh out a race, a cretin race.

So far I got pretty much...nothing...
Some fluff, a few toughts about crunch. not enough to work with.

What I need is a humanoid race that is not too human (eg: kenku is not too human, orc is.) yet still shares the basics (two arms, to legs etc...)
I need everything, from looks, to name, to stats, to ALL.
Basically I need inspiration, something to work from. while a finalized race is welcomed, I would likely put my own touch into it.

Fluff wise: the race is very docile, and support peace with self and with the world, yet they learn the art of combat just in case. the race is LG, and they have strong tendencies to follow the path of monks (1/5 is a monk.)
Members of this race are usually considered wise men, and enjoy clear thoughts, and pure motivations. rarely a member of the race falls to evil, and even then its usually from loyalty. the alignments of the race is around 1/3 LG, 1/6 NG, 1/6 CG, 1/6 LN, 1/6 LE.
The thinking pattern that leads this race is that the wisest is considered the superior, proving yourself wiser then another means you are better then him. combat is not about who swings the sword faster or stronger, its about who strikes at the right place and the right time, a good offense in a strong defense, mobility and adaptability wins the fight, not brute strength.

Consisting in a vacuum, they are perfect. if you remove other races from the world, the world will be in peace. law and good are too powerful in them to open a war unless the enemy has done great evil beforehand.

Crunch wise: favored class is monk, and LA is 0. probably enjoys wisdom bonus, and his abilities are either defensive, sensory or non-combat.

Fiery Diamond
2009-10-09, 04:01 PM
This would probably be easier to make crunch for if it were LA +1 or LA +2. But I'm horrible at making mechanics for races anyway....

Chrono22
2009-10-09, 04:26 PM
Sounds like the modified hengeyokai race my friends and I made.

They are shapechangers that have two natural forms (a human one and an animal one). A hengeyokai is born as either an animal or a human. It is usually born from two hengeyokai parents, but not necessarily. Sometimes a hengeyokai of one type of animal will conceive a child with a normal human or animal, in which case the child will favor one parent or the other in terms of his racial qualities.
When hengeyokai children are born, they appear to be humans or animals in most respects. Unlike humans, they develop much more rapidly, and are capable of walking and speech at a much earlier age. A hengeyokai child only knows his human form (or animal form), until at some point in his life he makes a connection with his other half. You see, every person has a spirit that they emulate (their animal spirit). It's just the case that emulating it causes a hengeyokai to transform.

Racial Qualities:
-2 Wisdom in human form
Low light vision in human form
Shapechanger subtype (they can end the effect of a polymorph spell or other transmutation by consciously transforming into one of their two natural forms)
Animal form: A hengeyokai has an animal alternate form, usually of a creature of small or tiny size. This alternate form provides the physical ability scores of a creature of that race, and any special qualities or special attacks that it possesses. Some animal forms may cause a hengeyokai to receive a level adjustment (such as a bear, or other more powerful forms).

Where wisdom comes into it: I assume you mean, conventional wisdom and not the ability score. Since members of a group of hengeyokai will be incredibly diverse, hengeyokai are at peace with eachother and themselves (where there isn't a natural incompatibility such as in lions and hyenas).
Their ability to attain an animal natural form inclines them to respect nature and reflect upon it to solve their problems.

Xefas
2009-10-09, 05:06 PM
How about something like this for stats?

------

Brahmin
Medium Humanoid
Speed 30 feet

+2 Wisdom, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma
The Brahmin have minds developed towards spiritual enlightenment and general practical understanding, so much so that they may have trouble grasping mundane logic or knowledge. In addition, they are inherently meek; their mind is not designed to impose its will on others, but to instead let its words stand on their own merit.

+2 Concentration, +2 Listen
Brahmin have a natural inner calm that stabilizes their thoughts, allowing them to better concentrate and to stay attentive to their surroundings.

Warrior Training: Brahmin choose one light weapon at character creation to be their favored weapon. With this weapon, they may substitute their Wisdom modifier in place of their Strength modifier for determining their bonus to attack and damage, and for the opposed check on Trip attempts.

Epiphany: Once per day, a Brahmin can enter a state of extraordinary mental clarity that allows them to better understand everything about their surroundings. They gain a +4 Perfection bonus to Wisdom, and all of their ability modifiers are treated as being equal to their Wisdom modifier if it would be higher. This state lasts for 1 minute plus an additional minute for every 4 character levels the Brahmin has.

boomwolf
2009-10-09, 10:33 PM
Chrono22-Favored Class=Monk. of course I meant the ability score too.

Xefas-Interesting.

The name gives me cow-like thoughts, yet not minotaur, but more like a bipedal cow with human-like hands.

A humanoid cow people who focus on inner peace, Epiphany might be a bit powerful, but negated by -2 ability score total.

Warrior Training is, while nice, not very peaceful in nature.
However, it does give me ideas for more "peaceful" combat bonuses. (Wisdom modifier bonus to trip, grapple and other non-damaging tactical moves.)

Xefas
2009-10-09, 10:46 PM
Warrior Training is, while nice, not very peaceful in nature.
However, it does give me ideas for more "peaceful" combat bonuses. (Wisdom modifier bonus to trip, grapple and other non-damaging tactical moves.)

Well, since their favored class is monk, I figured I'd help them out by reducing some of their multiple ability score dependency. Unarmed Strikes are light weapons, so a Brahmin Monk wouldn't need to worry about Strength if they chose their fists for their Warrior Training (though they'd still need to worry about Dex, Con, Wis and a little Int, as other monks do).

boomwolf
2009-10-10, 09:03 AM
Well, I think I got it done now. thanks alot. here is my variation of the Brahmin.

Brahmin
Medium Humanoid
Speed 30 feet

+2 Wisdom, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma
The Brahmin have minds developed towards spiritual enlightenment and general practical understanding, so much so that they may have trouble grasping mundane logic or knowledge. In addition, they are inherently meek; their mind is not designed to impose its will on others, but to instead let its words stand on their own merit.

+2 Concentration, +2 Listen
Brahmin have a natural inner calm that stabilizes their thoughts, allowing them to better concentrate and to stay attentive to their surroundings.

Warrior Training: Brahmin gets thier wisdom modifier as a bonus to bull rush strength check, Disarm checks, Grapple Checks, and Trip checks.

Epiphany: Once per day, a Brahmin can enter a state of extraordinary mental clarity that allows them to better understand everything about their surroundings. They gain a +4 Perfection bonus to Wisdom, and a +2 Perfection bonus to Strength, Dexterity and Constitution. This state lasts for 1 minute plus an additional minute for every 4 character levels the Brahmin has.