PDA

View Full Version : The Sun's Gone Out: IC

Pages : [1] 2

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-09, 04:26 PM
There is nothing here because I am tired. There will be something here tomorrow, but for now you will have to live with the despair of not knowing what I'm about to say. Can you handle it?

I hope so, otherwise this will be a very short game for you. Take this time to prepare yourselves for the journey ahead.

But for now I say, Fair Thee Well

K-B

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-11, 05:19 AM
As the teleportation spell ends you find yourselves in large chamber of polished white stone. At another time it may have been a beautiful, but now the stone is cracked, and the room seems to be in a state of serious disrepair. A dozen torches on the walls illuminate the room, and you see others around you, each examining the room in the same way you are, showing that they haven't been here very long either.

Despite the nature of the Summons, nobody appears to greet you.

Toliudar
2009-10-11, 06:23 AM
Amber Shilling

Half a dozen fiends appear in the temple building, standing in a rough circle, and pause as the teleportation completes and they take in their surroundings. The smallest of these are a pair of greenish vulture-like bipeds with massive, leathery wings, standing just over 8 feet tall. Two blue insect-like creatures with long whipping tails, each more than 10 feet tall and clutching a barbed and frost-encrusted spear, glance uneasily at the bird men and at the surroundings. Towering over the others are a pair of massively muscled demons, flames dancing at the edges of their pebbly red skin. Their bat wings flex and furl, as the two snarl their defiance to the others in the room. Each of the last two demons holds a slender, gleaming black sword and a long whip that seems to be made of flame made solid.

The rather dramatic effect of their arrival is, unfortunately, almost immediately cut short when a high-pitched, shrill and excited voice calls out from somewhere in the vicinity: "Gheldar? Is that you? Hey, buddy! Long time no see. Yeah, it's Amber. They drag you into this too, huh?"

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-11, 11:23 AM
Gheldar Clearshoe

Gheldar hates teleporting over great distances, especially across the planes. It always gives him a little headache and makes him dizzy for a while.

"And let there be light!" Gheldar thinks to himself with a smirk as the teleportation ends.

Wholly expecting the purpose of the summons to be exchanging information with regards to the mysterious events leading up to, and following, Pelor's disappearance and establishing a joint effort in restoring planar balance, Gheldar is surprised to find that only five have been summoned.

"Surely this is of interplanar concern," he immediately exclaims with determination, yet questioning, in his voice.

Suddenly a familiar sound rings out in the room.

"I don't know many demons," Gheldar concludes quietly.

"Amber? Amber Shilling? I did not realize this was of concern to the entertainment industry (suppressed chuckle) ... And you brought your trusty pets bodyguards, I see."

Gheldar brushes some imaginary dust off his clothes, as if after a long journey on the road.

For everyone:
Gheldar is, even at a quick glance, obviously human. As short as he is, however, he does not appear unusually short. It is almost as if he is a different type of human. Small, yet much taller than a halfling.

In poor lighting he would appear to have quite a tan. But in this light you can tell that the dark skin is grey, rather than brown.

The bluish-grey hair and camouflage green eyes (also dull in color, except in darkness, when they seem back-lit) add to the otherworldly aura about him.

Anyone with a half decent Knowledge (the planes) check would know that Gheldar is a "Dark Human", native to the Plane of Shadow. Amber already knows this, having met Gheldar previously, and being a good friend of his sister's.

Jallorn
2009-10-11, 12:21 PM
A man appears, his hair and goatee is wild, and his clothes are a dull brown leather. Clearly surprised by the teleport, he looks around, and his face shifts to a more shocked expression as he sees the demons. He starts towards them, clearly about to do something, when Amber's voice rings out. After a second look around, his clothes shift to more regal and silky clothes of blues and greens. Quietly, he says, "You take ever greater risks Amber."

OOC:For fun, you've never seen Jallorn in his human form, okay?

Toliudar
2009-10-11, 03:09 PM
Amber

The voice slowly floats closer to Jallorn, but she seems to be responding first to Gheldan.

"I take the disappearance of the sun extremely personally. How am I supposed to be enjoying the view of the sunset, as seen through the veil of the Blood Waterfall of Giardab, when there's no sun to set? And what convinced you to make the trek from...well, from a place that doesn't get quite so much sun?"

The voice now seems fairly close to Jallorn, although coming from above.

"Taking risks is the only way to get anything done around here. There's...something familiar about your accent, bub, but I can't quite place the face. You ever do any circus work?"

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-11, 03:45 PM
"Well, I have seen the sun more than most (he means, of those on the Plane of Shadow), I suppose. ... What convinced me? I have been tracking this since a fortnight after it happened ... restocked in Sigil a few days ago ... saw Annidar ... such disrepair ..." Gheldar rambles. "Excuse me for a moment." Gheldar starts walking around the room, (opening doors or looking down hallways), looking for other people.

"Hello? Hello?!"

Jallorn
2009-10-11, 03:54 PM
"No, though I am a fan of the big cats," Jallorn says with a smile, "You could say I feel a sort of kindred to them. However, you might recognize this ring..."

Toliudar
2009-10-11, 04:01 PM
Amber

A small asexual imp-figure, with tufts of hair looking like flames against a jet-black skin, materializes about ten feet in front of and above Jallorn. It's grinning like a maniac, and zips up in the air before descending to more or less his eye level.

"Hi-LAR-ious! Jallorn. Jallorn, this is Gheldar. Gheldar, Jallorn. I - I dunno who those two guys are."

She glances over at the man with the cane and the winged elf.

Jallorn
2009-10-11, 04:25 PM
"Nice to meet you Gheldar," Jallorn calls down the hall, "I'm afraid I don't know either of you either."

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-11, 04:48 PM
"What is this place?" Gheldar mumbles to himself.

Not trained in any of these, so "common knowledge" only:
[roll0]
[roll1]

"Greetings, Jallorn!"

Jallorn
2009-10-11, 04:58 PM
Knowledge (History) [roll0]
Knowledge (Local) [roll1]
Knowledge (Nob+Roy) [roll2]

The_Snark
2009-10-11, 06:36 PM
The fellow with the cane coughs slightly. He is not much more impressive from the front than the back: thin, average height, black hair just starting to turn grey. His clothes are just a little too expensive-looking for most people to afford, but considerably plainer than most nobles would wear, unless attending a funeral. A set of glass spectacles frames his eyes as he peers at the others.

Oh yes, the horse: brown, sturdy but not especially fast, and still quite nervous at suddenly finding itself in an enclosed space with large fiery beings. It is only thanks to its owner's attention that it has reached even this dubiously calm state; no wonder he hasn't had time to introduce himself yet.

"A pleasure to make your acquaintance," he replies in a pleasantly melodious voice, bowing slightly. He raises his eyes, glancing up at the ceiling and then around the deserted room. "It seems our hosts aren't here to greet us. I wonder why?"

Jallorn
2009-10-11, 07:07 PM
"No name? I'm afraid that leaves you with the advantage."

Elistan
2009-10-11, 08:56 PM
Talon Nerkas

Nerkas stands in the room, glancing around curiously. He stares at the demons for a moment, seeming to wage some internal struggle, but eventually he relaxes. He turns to the others and bows. His wings rustle as he moves, and he grins in a fatherly way, "Greetings, my friends. It seems we are all in the same situation, with little knowledge, and much curiosity. Allow me to introduce myself; I am Talon Nerkas, Master of the High Mountain, High Father of the Monastery of the Soaring Star. May Crovas smile upon you."

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-11, 09:55 PM
OOC question:
You say it is a "large chamber of polished white stone" ...
Are there windows? Furniture? Doors? Hallways? Approximately how big of a chamber are we talking?

If this is of absolutely no mechanical importance at all (e.g. someone is coming to get us shortly), then you can ignore the question. But, if we are trying to "figure something out", then we need the info.

Just an aside ...

Toliudar
2009-10-11, 11:48 PM
Amber completes an upward spiral as she listens to the dialogue.

"Funny. We get called on to find the sun, and the Pelorites are just as gone as their god. Oh. Amber Shilling, traveller. Nice to meet you both."

One of the flame-spouting demons spreads its wings and soars once around the room before settling in the middle. The strange imp-creature vanishes again.

Know Religion [roll0], to note any religious significance to the architecture of the room, and to know who the heck Crovas is.

The Balor is covering the room with a quick spin, in order to confirm that there's nothing hiding here. True Seeing in effect. Spot [roll1] Listen [roll2]

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-12, 05:18 AM
(( - No knowledge checks work. It's just a room.
- Balor finds nothing of interest.))

There is indeed nothing else in the room besides torches and your own good selves. A you stand there a portal opens on the side of the room closest to The Gentleman, green energy swirling outward to form a circle 8ft high through which a well furnished room can be seen. Through the portal steps a man in expensive looking courtier's garb. He bows slightly before jumping back (apparently he just noticed the pack of Demons).

"Um, you are requested to err...come through to meet the king. But err, could you wait for a moment."

Bowing again he dashes back through the portal and mumbles something before returning.

"Those um, things, are apparently expected. They may come through as well."

The_Snark
2009-10-12, 05:34 AM
The elderly fellow beams sunnily at Jallorn. "Well spotted!"

This is not actually an answer.

As the king's messenger bids them enter, he moves towards the portal, walking with a pronounced limp. Apparently, the cane is more than an affectation. The horse (a precaution in case they should have to travel anywhere without teleportation) follows reluctantly, not happy about being led through a glowing object but willing to do so if it means being further away from the demons.

On the other side, he executes a bow before moving aside to let the others through.

Toliudar
2009-10-12, 08:29 AM
One of the blue spear-carrying creatures and a vulture man lift off and reach the doorway first. They pause, looking around inside, until the man and his horse are well inside. Then the other four fiends lift off and join them, forming a loose semi-circle, and the strange entourage moves through and in together. It's very difficult to read the expressions on the inhuman, distorted faces, but it's safe to say: they are not particular happy to be here.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-12, 09:34 AM
Gheldar Clearshoe

(Gheldar will wait to enter the room last. But, when he does so ...)

Gheldar walks through the portal and bows gracefully and courteously, behaving in a matter far different from his humble wardrobe. Clearly, he has had the occasion to meet with dignitaries in the past.

"Your Highness!"

Jallorn
2009-10-12, 10:36 AM
Jallorn moves rapidly towards the portal, but acts quite humble and quiet once on the other side. He is clearly out of his comfort zone, but knows how to deal with such discomfort.

Elistan
2009-10-12, 03:35 PM
Talon Nerkas

Nerkas strides towards the portal confidently, stepping through and dropping into another deep bow, his horns brushing the ground. He straightens, "Greetings, Highness. We stand at your service."

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-12, 04:03 PM
The room is a lavish affair about 20ft square, thick red carpet with thin gold patterns cover every inch of the floor. The portal you came through reaches from the floor to the ceiling. Various tapestries and paintings adorn the polished wooden walls, and a large oak double door is to your left and a relatively small, silled window to your right, outside of which it seems dim, beyond sunset but not quite night yet. Unusually the room seems to warp and stretch around the Balors and other Demons.

On the wall directly opposite you there is a potent fireplace, and in front of it there sit three men in plush chairs, each wearing expensive looking garments. Between them sits King Orgos, complete in royal attire with his hand resting on the top of his longsword handle beside his chair.

The woman immediately to the king's left raised her hand once you are all through and the portal shrinks back to a point before disappearing in a little burst of green sparks.

When the king speaks his voice is deep and obviously used to issuing commands. "Glad to hear it Nerkas. It is a pleasure to finally meet all of you, my assistants have told me much about you, hence why you are here. In a moment Fi will explain why specifically you have been brought here, but first I would be a poor host if I didn't offer you a seat. Lya."

Once again the woman to his left raises her hand, and a quintet of equally luxurious chairs appear opposite the fireplace for you. The king speaks again.

"Any preliminary questions? And Amber I have no real problem with your compatriats would you keep them to one corner and out of the way, the room will appease their size."

Toliudar
2009-10-12, 04:24 PM
Almost the moment that the king speaks, a white haired gnome woman appears; she is perched in one of the new chairs, the one closest to the fire. She is dressed in a flowing silver robe, her hair tied back in a neat bun.

"Not worry, Majesty. The servants shouldn't be any trouble. If you'd prefer, they can wait outside. And...I think I'll save my questions until you see fit to tell us what you think we should know."

Jallorn
2009-10-12, 04:38 PM
Silently, Jallorn sits down in one of the chairs. He does, however give Amber a quizzical look before shrugging and turning his attention back to the king.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-12, 04:43 PM
Gheldar stands up and bows before he speaks up with a friendly and respectful tone, although without hiding a portion of frustration on his part.

Normally, Gheldar does not speak too frankly and openly. He does, however, make an exception on occasions like this, well aware that the tone is already pleasant and friendly.

[roll0]

"Your Highness, I am not a man blessed with a silky tongue or smooth voice; yet hear me on this occasion. As you are aware, I have been tracking much of the activities following The Sun's (meaning, Pelor's) disappearance. I was expecting this gathering to be a formal exchange of information, to which I responded willingly, albeit reluctantly. Without disrespect, Your Highness, I am anxious to hear the reasons for the summons, as I will need to either return to my sworn duties, or make arrangements for someone to cover in my absence. That said, the Shadow Defense Guild bids you the warmest of greetings, and I have been sent with an assurance that you have our full strength at your disposal. should the matters affect the citizens of the Plane of Shadow."

Gheldar bows again and sits back down.

The_Snark
2009-10-12, 04:54 PM
The Gentleman takes a seat gratefully, resting his cane against the side of the chair. His eyes flick to the gnome woman as she appears, and he nods slightly, the pieces of a puzzle falling into place. An imp named Amber commanding the allegiance of several larger demons had not struck him as likely.

"I can't think of any question more pressing than the one you mentioned, your majesty," he adds on the heels of the grey man. "I think we're all eager to hear why we're here."

Elistan
2009-10-12, 06:44 PM
Talon Nerkas

"Indeed," Nerkas states, "I believe we are all most interested in hearing why we have been called here. I should like to return to my students with all haste, if only to assign an interim replacement for my absence." He sits in one of the chairs and looks expectantly at the king.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-13, 12:58 AM
Gheldar Clearshoe

Gheldar leans over to Nerkas and quietly remarks: "Actually, I'd like to know why The Sun is gone ..." *shrugs*

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-13, 05:01 AM
"Very well, Fi if you would explain."

To the kings right a man wearing white robes stands, the Face of Pelor across his chest. However it is merely a dull brass symbol, not the shining, almost molten metal that he once wore (for those who had seen him before). Despite being a Human only in his 40's he looks tired, like he could pass on at any moment.

"I will be frank. As you know the faithful of Pelor throughout the world have found themselves without a patron. Because of this the Sun as a literal celestial body is weakening, and this in turn is causing those who live in The Underdark to risk more frequent raids upon the surface."

He breathes heavily before continuing.

"This however is not why you are here, there are others being summoned together to deal with such minor problems. You however are some of the most powerful beings in the Multiverse who would heed such a call. And thus you have been called here to help us with the most important mission in mortal history; you must return Pelor to the world."

He waits for a moment to let those words sink in, placing his right hand across his dulled emblem.

"Pelor is a keystone in the worlds structure, that is how he maintained power comparable to Correllon and Moradin without having an entire race absolutely devoted to him, the same goes for The Archmage or The Reaper." He bows again. "Without Pelor the Multiverse has fallen out of balance, and thus the problems arise, first on the Material Plane, but eventually his loss will be felt everywhere, and inevitabley if he cannot be restored the Multiverse will collapse in upon itself. Ehlohna, Heironious, Glitergold, they are powerful, but are too busied within their own Portfolios to cope with the strain of Pelor's duties forever."

The king speaks up again. "This is your one chance to decline, if you stay here you contract yourself to this task until it is complete."

Toliudar
2009-10-13, 08:02 AM
Amber seems to entirely disregard the King's offer to turn back. The five had all accepted the summons, and it seemed unlikely that they'd be turning back now. Instead, she leaned forward on her chair towards the priest.

"Hey, it's good to hear that the other gods are pitching in. I hoping their servants have as well. Even if Pelor's disappearance has cut off your holy mojo, maybe some of the other priests here have been helpful in connecting with some of Pelor's servants? Communing, pulling in an Archon dedicated to Pelor - might go a long way to finding out what happened to him. Or do you already know what happened to him?"

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-13, 09:24 AM
Gheldar Clearshoe

"The shockwaves of Pelor's disappearance were felt on the Plane of Shadow as well. Although Pelor's importance as a deity is somewhat diminished in the shadows ... The fact that we did sense his disappearance, stresses the importance of the task set before us! You have my swords!"

Gheldar stands up and remains standing.

Elistan
2009-10-13, 11:01 AM
Talon Nerkas

"Indeed, even we of the High Mountain have felt the disturbance. I will readily admit that we are little concerned with the affairs of the world, and as Brother Gheldar states, the fact that we did sense the disturbance alludes to its importance." Nerkas adds, "The Balance must be maintained at all costs." He nods decisively, "I will aid in whatever way I may."

Jallorn
2009-10-13, 03:53 PM
"I would be a fool to back out, I live in the same world as everyone else," Jallorn replies with a little more force than one would normally expect, "That you would expect me to decline, is surprising... to say the least."

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-13, 03:59 PM
Gheldar nudges Jallorn. "We all decline with age, dear Jallorn," he says in jest.

Realizing that he is still standing, Gheldar sits back down again.

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-13, 04:37 PM
((I'm going to assume Snark also doesn't back out. If I'm wrong then I'll obviously edit))

"Glad to hear it." A smile briefly crosses the King's mouth briefly."

"Indeed we do believe we know what has happened to my Patron. And now that we have ascertained your determination I shall administer your mission brief.

Pelor, like the rest of the Pantheon was made up of two different parts. The first is it's form, which like all Outsiders is the combination of their Body and their Soul. The second is the Divine Spark; that which gives the Gods their supreme power, measured crudely by mortal scholars in "Divine Ranks". The more worship a Deity garners, the more Ranks it has. We believe that through phenomenally powerful means, Pelor's Divine Spark has been seperated from him.

Your job is to locate both of these parts, and liaise with the four of us with the goal of finding a way of reuniting the two, and restoring Pelor to his rightful place."

After giving you a moment to assimilate all of that he continues. He seems very militaristic for a Cleric of Pelor, more like an army General than a devoted healer.

"Pelor; meaning the Outsider that remains of him, is somewhere in the Multiverse but we have no idea where. True Divinity is hard to obtain, but impossible to lose completely. Meaning he still retains his immortality and all the defences that go with it, hence why we can't find him. Finding him is essential, without him regaining the Divine Spark is pointless because we don't have it's owner to return it to, and you'll understand why I disprove of the idea of simply allowing someone else to replace him, if that is even possible.

You must also locate the Divine Spark. But for this we have some aid, namely The Allseeing Eye; an Artifact that will supposedly locate anything the bearer desires and take him to it. However it only works once, so we've delayed using it until now. Any questions thus far?"

He sits down again, he looks exhausted from his speech.

Toliudar
2009-10-13, 05:09 PM
Amber

Amber leans forward, her elbows on her knees. Her voice is small and quick.

"Questions? Absolutely! When and where was Pelor last seen? Was he alone when he vanished? Have any divinations been made in the place where he disappeared? If something split up the divine and the corporeal, it'd be good to start at the place where the division would have occurred, since the use of that much energy would be sure to leave some kind of trace."

She pauses to breathe.

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-13, 05:14 PM
It's the King who replies. "All Divinations thus far have failed. The Eye is the only Artifact we possess, nothing else is powerful enough to discern the Divine energies involved. Although as to where the division occurred, we estimate it was somewhere in Elysium, Pelor's home Plane."

Jallorn
2009-10-13, 05:21 PM
"This scenario suggests the involvement of other gods, probably Pelor's enemies. The only thing worse than Pelor being gone, is a war between the gods. That could destroy the entire cosmos. Worse, if Pelor isn't still... alive, then that suggests a war already in progress."

The_Snark
2009-10-13, 05:34 PM
The Gentleman shakes his head minutely. "I think it would have been easier to acquire information if there were a war in progress already. It seems more likely that some faction or individual either wanted Pelor out of the way—perhaps to start a war—or simply wanted the divine power he held. But we have no way of knowing for certain; I suggest we hold our speculation for now."

He turns back to the king. "I cannot help but notice that the artifact will work for a bearer, singular. What of the rest of us? Does the artifact actually transport the user, leaving no time to plan or relay the information to anyone else, or does it simply point the way?"

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-13, 05:39 PM
"Indeed I am relatively certain a war between the Pantheon would be noticeable. And as far as we know the Eye will activate immediately, but it will allow multiple teleports by physical contact, allowing you all to move with it."

Toliudar
2009-10-13, 06:49 PM
Amber

The gnome leans back in her chair. Her lips purse in thought.

"Well, if the Eye is usable only once, it would seem to me to be a last resort. What if we were to start up in Elysium. We let them know that we're working on behalf of Pelor's worshippers here, maybe even bring some kind of letter from the Face..."

She gestures to Fi, with a respectful nod.

"If we think things are going crazy down here, think about how frantic they got to be up in Elysium. Maybe we can make a friendly contact there, find out some more details from those who were close to him."

She breaks into a lopsided smile, and looks around at the other four who had been gathered for this task.

"Look, really, I get that this isn't some two-silver crime story, but sometimes, going back to the basics will turn up something interesting. And especially since a side trip to Elysium won't take more than a few hours..."

She shrugs.

Elistan
2009-10-13, 09:04 PM
Talon Nerkas

Nerkas gestures at Amber, "Calm yourself, my daughter. I am sure that his majesty did not mean to imply that the Eye was our only option. A calm head and a soft word are never out of place."

He turns to the King, "But I agree with her, liege. We may find the use of the Eye to be unnecessary, if we explore all options."

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-14, 02:23 AM
"Of course the Eye is not the only choice, we are merely working with the idea of expediency in the forefront of our minds. If you wish to follow a different path then do so."

Toliudar
2009-10-14, 08:52 AM
Amber spreads her hands wide.

"Hey, all I'm saying is that we've got one shot at using this eye thingy. Why not do a bit of poking around elsewise first, and see if there's anything we can come up with that way?"

She turns back to the Face of Pelor with a child-like smile.

"Whataya say, Fi? Write us a letter of recommendation for the angels? I'll even leave the entourage here while we visit."

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-15, 06:00 AM
"I'm sure you think you are being funny, but let me make myself very clear you diminutive Demon-wrangler, you are not."

The Cleric's outburst is completely unexpected. His voice is exasperated and he is breathing heavily. He seems genuinely angry at you.

A look of concern briefly crosses the faces of the other's in line with him. It is Lya who speaks next.

"If you have decided to traverse Elysium then I will transport you, free of charge of course."

Toliudar
2009-10-15, 08:38 AM
Amber's brow furrows. She was funny...she knew she was funny...but this was no joking matter. She holds up her palms, as if to fend off his outburst.

"Hey, step down, Father!"

She pauses, turning to Talon.

"Not you, Father. This Father."

She turns her attention back to Fi.

"I get how hard this has got to be for you. I figured, you've got a reputation here, right? So everything goes smoother up there if we go with your blessing. I figured you would WANT that, right? I mean, if there's some reason you think we shouldn't be going, then I want to hear that. You got other ideas on where we should start, I want to hear that too."

She exhales slowly. These flighty humans - so touchy and emotional.

Elistan
2009-10-15, 11:14 AM
Nerkas speaks quietly, "Calm yourself, Fi. She meant no offense. She is merely stating her opinion, and there is no reason to grow angry over that."

He looks thoughtful for a moment, "And I am also curious as to why you are so offended by her suggestion. It was a valid idea, and one that I support, and I see no reason that you should be. Would you care to explain?"

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-15, 11:46 AM
Gheldar has been quietly watching and listening.

Sense Motive (+5 normally, +7 against undead, +9 against arcane casters/invokers) [roll0]

"Clearly, emotions are running high. That is understandable." He gestures at both Fi and Amber. "We have been recruited for a task of grave importance. A task at the feet of which the very existence of the multiverse lies. If we are to carry out this task, we request and expect your fullest support." He gestures towards "the four". "This is a sensitive issue for the church of Pelor -- we get that! But we need to know that we can carry out this task as we best see fit. In any case -- we are all on the same side here!"

Diplomacy, in an attempt at coming across as being neutral and unbiased. I want to earn trust. [roll1]

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-15, 02:33 PM
"It as not her suggestion, but the manner in which she phrased it. I am suffering grief the likes of which none of you shall ever be able to comprehend, the loss of everyone you have ever known all at once would not even come close to the pain and powerlessness that I live with every day now. And this whelp sits there and makes jokes. I'll not have it."

There is real anger in his words.

Toliudar
2009-10-15, 02:39 PM
Nothing she said seemed to be helping, so Amber struggled mightily and said nothing at all. Her eyebrows rocketing skyward as she glanced around at the others, however, told a great deal of what she thought about the priest's demeanour.

The_Snark
2009-10-15, 05:16 PM
The Gentleman clears his throat in the silence. "While Miss Shilling may have been somewhat tactless, the fact that she is here and willing to help says something for her, yes? I think the suggestion is a good one; the more information we have before we employ the Eye, the better our chances will be. Perhaps Pelor's servants and associates in the Upper Planes have uncovered no more than you have, but it's worthwhile to check."

He levers himself to his feet, picking up his cane. "Will you be accompanying us, ma'am," he addresses the king's mage, "or will we need to find some way to signal you when we wish to return?"

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-15, 06:24 PM
Gheldar taps The Gentleman's arm. "I made a list," he whispers and hands over a piece of paper.

Before we go:
- Let's eat! (I missed breakfast this morning)

For our journey:
- Motion sickness pillsi.e. Potion of Cure Minor Wounds ... purely as a RP item- Letter of recommendation
- Scroll of Plane Shift
- Soap, 1 lb ×5

After Gheldar sits back down, he uses The Gentleman as a distraction to allow himself to be unnoticed.
Hide in Plain Sight, Hide [roll0]
I will then use Spot to observe the cleric, trying to get an idea of whether the cleric is up to something. Gheldar has become suspicious of the cleric.
Spot [roll1]

Jallorn
2009-10-15, 11:21 PM
Jallorn stands, his face grave. He studies the Priest for a moment, before turning and walking a short distance away, his back to the group.

Sense Motive: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

Toliudar
2009-10-16, 01:02 AM
Amber smiles at the Gentleman.

"Oh, getting there and back is no big problem. Figuring out what to do once we get there...that's the interesting bit."

Elistan
2009-10-17, 12:14 PM
Talon Nerkas

Nerkas also glances at the priest curiously, but he knows the connection between god and petitioner, and is sympathetic. If Crovas were ever to disappear, he would be devastated. But the cleric was still acting strangely, and it made Nerkas a bit suspicious.

Spot: [roll0]
Sense Motive: [roll1]

Toliudar
2009-10-18, 06:01 PM
Amber

Sensing that her initial point had somehow been ignored by the easy-to-enrage priest, Amber tries the direct approach, and speaks, slowly and unsmilingly, to Fi.

"We would like to investigate further by going to Pelor's own domain. To do that, I'd like a letter of introduction to show the angels there. Will you write it?"

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-19, 02:51 PM
"Yes I'll write the letter. Apologies, ever since The Dark Day I've been affected. I can't explain it."

The king's face has relaxed. "Well now that that's decided it's time that I be off. As you can probably testify (looking at The Gentleman) power inevitably leads to danger, especially in these times. We'll depart as soon as your letter is written."

As King Orgos stands so do the other three, and the semi armoured man to the Cleric's right moved to the King's side. Fi moves to a desk by the window, carefully aiming his gaze away from Amber's Demons. Drawing the various inks and a wax melting plate he began writing.

BOOM!!!

With almost beautiful irony considering the king's previous statement, the wall with the window in it explodes inwards in a burst of black light, vaporising the wooden wall and launching the Cleric, desk and the carpet towards you all. A chill wind rushes inwards, replacing the heat from the fireplace. The instant the explosion occurs the armoured man and Lya react with near surgical precision, him grabbing Orgos bodyguard style and Lya casting the quickest teleportation spell you've ever seen (at least it would be if you didn't have debris in your eyes) and the three of them are gone.

------------------------
Initiative and a Reflex Save apiece please.

Jallorn
2009-10-19, 03:00 PM
Init: [roll0]
Ref: [roll1]

Toliudar
2009-10-19, 03:05 PM
Amber

Would that it were as simple as one roll:

Initiatives:
Amber: [roll0]
Balor 1: [roll1]
Balor 2: [roll2]
Gelugon 1: [roll3]
Gelugon 2: [roll4]
Vrock 1: [roll5]
Vrock 2: [roll6]

Reflex saves:
Amber: [roll7]
Balor 1: [roll8]
Balor 2: [roll9]
Gelugon 1: [roll10]
Gelugon 2: [roll11]
Vrock 1: [roll12]
Vrock 2: [roll13]

Elistan
2009-10-19, 03:21 PM
Reflex Save: [roll0]

Initiative: [roll1]

Talon Nerkas

Nerkas calmly looks at the hole in the wall, waiting to see what should come through.

The_Snark
2009-10-19, 03:59 PM
The Gentleman nods placid agreement, resting both hands on his cane, and then fate punctuates the king's assertion with its typical unsubtle irony.

Initiative [roll0]

Reflex [roll1]

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-19, 04:50 PM
Gheldar remains hidden (as per earlier result rolled DC33 in OOC), eagerly peering into the hole...

[roll0]
[roll1]

Edit: And I have evasion, if that matters.
Also, if it matters, in addition to darkvision I have superior low-light, which means I can see four times as far in dim conditions.

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-20, 07:00 AM
Reflex Saves:
Jallorn and Vrock 2 take [roll0] damage from debris. Everyone without Evasion or Improved Evasion dakes half that.
Initiative:
Gheldar - 30
Amber + Demons – 28
Talon – 25
Enemy 3 – 25
Gent – 24
Enemy 2 – 19
Drow – 18
Jallorn – 10

Identifying enemies 2+3 requires a Knowledge (Religion) DC20 each. A further DC20 check will tell you some details about the Drow.

Looking outside the window you can see the one who caused the explosion, an 8.5ft tall Drow woman astride a Huge spider, it's hairy legs bet ready to pounce. To her right stood a 20ft tall humanoid creature, jet black and obviously malevolent. To her left a winged creature similar to the one on her other side is perched on laughably small legs, but each of its wings is almost twice the length of the Drow.

She bellows in a course tongue, every word sounds rough, like unfinished wood.

Undercommon speakers only:
"I am the envoy of Lolth, and I tell you, you need not die this night. Surrender and the Spider-Queen shall make you ornaments in her domain."

Jallorn
2009-10-20, 07:59 AM
Knowledge (Religion): [roll0]
What's the other check religion? If so: [roll1]

Actually, those are for nemies 2 and 3 respectively, I'll get my last check later.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-20, 08:55 AM
Three knowledge checks:

Drow: [roll0]
Humanoid: [roll1]
Winged: [roll2]

Add +4 for Religion.

Edit: Would have helped if I would've read the spoiler :smallredface:

Jallorn
2009-10-20, 08:59 AM
Knowledge (Religion?): [roll0]

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-20, 09:00 AM
((Drow is indeed Religion))

Toliudar
2009-10-20, 09:44 AM
Amber

Amber doesn't understand the words, but she knows a "screw-you" comment when she hears it. Dealing with demons teaches you a lot about insults. She vanishes from view.

One of the balors, Wastrel, smiles and sends a telepathic message to the spider-rider:

"You serve Lolth, do you? Well see you in the abyss in a few days, then! We'll see how proud you are then, little soul."

Wastrel flies out the hole and way up into the air. A chunk of beam lifts out of the pile and hurls itself towards the drow. His companion, Gangrel, flies over and past the attackers. Another chunk of wall also flies towards the elf.

The two blue devils float out of the room and up, cackling like demented children. They point their frost-encrusted spears at the attackers and unleash blasts of cold that engulf the four creatures,

Both Vrocks abruptly split into many versions of themselves, and flap up and out through the hole. One flies up and over the three attackers, while the other flies straight towards them. Both end up right next to both one of the strange winged creatures, and the spider-rider. With a slight nod, both puff out clouds of tiny object that settle on everything next to them and then dissipate.

Ooh, ooh! Evasion for me too! And does Damage Reduction do anything against the debris?

Knowledge Religion [roll0]
Knowledge Religion [roll1]

The balors have true seeing active, so if there are magically hidden/invisible things, they (and Amber) will know.

Amber activates her ring of invisibility and flies out through the tunnel we entered back just inside the big room we first appeared in.

Wastrel casts a targeted Greater Dispel Magic on the Drow. Dispel checks as needed [roll2] [roll3][roll4][roll5][roll6][roll7][roll8]. He then flies 20' away from the wall, outside (I'm assuming that the drow is outside, and not in another room?) and 50' up. He uses his quickened Telekinesis to pick up a heavy beam from the pile of rubble that the drow woman has just created, and clobbers her with it. Attack roll [roll9]. Damage (assuming a 300 pound beam, but could be up to 375) - [roll10] bludgeoning.

Gangrel hits the spider with Dominate Monster (will DC 27 to negate), and flies up and out, levelling off at a 20' height, 40' behind the attackers. He also uses his quickened Telekinesis to pick up a heavy beam from the pile of rubble that the drow woman has just created, and clobbers her with it. Attack roll [roll11]. Damage (assuming a 300 pound beam, but could be up to 375) - [roll12] bludgeoning.

If the spider is successfully dominated, Gangrel orders it to bite the woman riding it.

The gelugons fly out the hole made by the explosion and separate. They position themselves to be at least 10' off the ground, at least 10' apart and able to hit all four attackers (at least, the four that they can see), but not hit Gheldar (unless they don't know where he is - Spot checks Gelugons [roll13] [roll14] Balors [roll15] [roll16]. Thanks to telepathy, if one knows where he is, they all know. Reflex save for half DC 20, damage: [roll17] [roll18]

The vrocks are positioning to be directly adjacent, front and back to both the spider/drop and one of the winged creatures. Vrock 1 (going around to the far side) will take attacks of opportunity as needed in order to reach this position. Both then release spores that automatically do untyped damage:
To drow [roll19] [roll20]
To spider [roll21] [roll22]
To winged thing [roll23] [roll24]

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-20, 10:51 AM
Gheldar

In Undercommon:
Serving Lolth, are we? I have dealt with the likes of you before. It is you who need to surrender, or you will taste my blades!

OOC:
Anyway ... how far away and apart are they? Assuming I can reach the spider rider in 35 feet ...

Gheldar rushes forward, scimitars drawn ... As you see him approach the drow on the spider, he starts to spin, almost as if in a blur.

Activating A Thousand Cuts, allowing me to double my attacks for one round. Using Dervish Dance which allows me to move full speed and attack. Also activating my Skirmisher boots to give me one extra attack at my highest bonus.

Moving clockwise around the spider and its rider, tumbling at full speed (Tumble check: 43), moving 5ft between each set of attacks (Pri1a, Pri1b, Pri1c counts as a set).

If I can reach the drow, I'll attack her, otherwise I will attack the spider. If an enemy drops, I have Great Cleave.

All attacks ignore 5 points of DR or hardness this round. Next round, the weapons transmute to overcome the DR as needed.

Dervish Dance (scimitar, 15-20 crit threat, S damage, ignores 5 DR/hardness)
[roll0] [roll1] + [roll2] skirmish
[roll3] [roll4] + [roll5] skirmish
[roll6] [roll7] + [roll8] skirmish
[roll9] [roll10] + [roll11] skirmish
[roll12] [roll13] + [roll14] skirmish
[roll15] [roll16] + [roll17] skirmish
[roll18] [roll19] + [roll20] skirmish
[roll21] [roll22] + [roll23] skirmish
[roll24] [roll25] + [roll26] skirmish
[roll27] [roll28] + [roll29] skirmish
[roll30] [roll31] + [roll32] skirmish
[roll33] [roll34] + [roll35] skirmish
[roll36] [roll37] + [roll38] skirmish
[roll39] [roll40] + [roll41] skirmish
[roll42] [roll43] + [roll44] skirmish

Crit Confirmations

[roll45] [roll46]
[roll47] [roll48]
[roll49] [roll50]
[roll51] [roll52]
[roll53] [roll54]
[roll55] [roll56]
[roll57] [roll58]
[roll59] [roll60]
[roll61] [roll62]
[roll63] [roll64]
[roll65] [roll66]
[roll67] [roll68]
[roll69] [roll70]
[roll71] [roll72]
[roll73] [roll74]

Probably pointless, but I will try to hide again (-20 penalty included) :smalltongue:

[roll75]

Edit: If the target of my attacks is an arcanist (can cast arcane spells or use invocations), I gain a +4 bonus to each successful attack (+8 on critical hits). If the target is not an arcanist, but instead undead, I gain +2 and +4 respectively. My favored enemies are also vulnerable to the skirmish damage, even if they normally would not be.

Elistan
2009-10-20, 11:59 AM
Nerkas zips out the hole in the wall, flying faster than what seems possible, rising into the air. He performs a sharp turn and plummets on the drow woman, pointing his hands like spears.

Flurry on the Drow. Not sure if I get a bonus from being above her. Just add that in, if I do. Changing my Unarmed Strikes to Piercing damage as a free action, via Versatile Unarmed Strike (PHB II), resulting in double damage. Also Power Attacking for -5 AC and +5 Damage via Shock Trooper (CWar.).

Attack 1: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] + [roll2]
Attack 2: [roll3] Damage: [roll4] + [roll5]
Attack 3: [roll6] Damage: [roll7] + [roll8]

Jallorn
2009-10-20, 05:31 PM
Shifting quickly, Jallorn's shape change, enlarging, even as his clothes shift. By the end, he has become a fearsome looking creature. Speaking in undercommon, he says, "You have made a mistake, you have only one chance to run."

Standard action to change to hybrid form, 2 quick actions to alter clothes, and to activate Deflection field for 5 rounds for 5 PPs.

Also: what did my knowledge check tell me about the drow?

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-22, 06:04 AM
OOC:
DR does weaken the debris damage

Gheldar is almost a blur as his blades tear into the Spider-mounted Drow, a sick smile crosses her face as purple blood splashes across he both of you. However more of your attacks are deflected than you would like, some clang off metal, some she deflects with her shield, and some just simply refuse to connect.

The Balors combined efforts prove fruitless, the Spider easily throws off it's mental assault, and the Demons attempts to avoid Gheldar give it enough time to move it's mistress out of harms way.

As the Gelugons unleash their waves of ice Gheldar spins behind the Spider protecting himself just as the Drow raises her shield to deflect some of the blast from her and her mount as well. The two creatures don't even seem to feel the blast.

The Vrocks attempt to unleash their spores, but as they approach their targets they are repulsed by a rippling blue field of energy surrounding the Drow.

As Talon rises through the air he touches his fingertips together to form lethal spines. Wheeling around he dives at the Drow, only to be knocked back by a similar barrier to the Vrock's, this one a variety of green hues.

As the Monk is deflected the winged creature lets out a deafening screech and launches itself at Gheldar, unleashing a blast of energy as it did so. ((Will Save please))

Gentleman's turn.

The_Snark
2009-10-22, 07:16 AM
His suit now sprinkled with a light dusting of masonry, the Gentleman raps his cane sharply on the floor. In an instant, the cane is gone, and in its place is an elegant rapier, curving slightly at the end to create an edge as well as a point.

He surveys the battle, which is quite complex even without being able to see the flows of magic. With them, it is almost incomprehensible; intricate patterns like fine calligraphy extend around all of his allies and most of his enemies. The apparent leader of the assault is all but invisible under it, and several large rings of flowing script radiate out from her, gently circling through the walls as they ebb and flow in reaction to the magic being thrown back and forth through them.

It was a pity, the Gentleman reflected as he walked over to the edge of the floor, that the resemblance to calligraphy was purely superficial. As any scribe knew, it was the simplest thing in the world to spoil even the finest lettering—any idiot with an inkpot could do it. Magic, on the other hand, was very difficult to spoil. One had to locate and strike the weak points with great precision... like so.

The Gentleman pauses some ten feet from the drow and her spider, leans out over the edge of the building, and executes a series of neat jabs... apparently into thin air.

Activating Boots of Haste as a free action, and moving to somewhere within 15 feet of the drow woman—I imagine the Gentleman doesn't have to leave the upper story yet to do so, but it's not a problem if he does. Employing Sorcerer-Slaying Prowess with a full attack, in an attempt to dispel the area effects centered on her.

These are, essentially, dispel checks, calculated by taking his attack bonus and subtracting 10. He'll begin with the strongest-looking aura (that is, the highest-level spells) and move down from there. Note that he can't try again if he fails, so each attack is directed against a different one regardless of success or failure.

[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll]120+17
[roll3]

After this, he'll switch from Dancing Blade Form to Spell-Shattering Blade Stance as a swift action. He'll also use Robilar's Gambit and Karmic Strike; his AC is only 19 and all enemies get +4 to attacks and damage against him, but he can reply to attacks in a variety of ways. He also has a 20% miss chance—and let me know if he's targeted by a spell that allows spell resistance, as he can react to that too.

Toliudar
2009-10-22, 05:18 PM
Amber

Replacement action for Amber: activate ring, hide behind now-blown-across-room desk. Hide check [roll0]

Also, can you clarify what the spider did in "moving the Drow" in avoiding the telekinetic attacks? And was there something that blocked the greater dispel magic? Were there simply no spells to dispel? Was her caster level such that none of the dispels worked? The third result was a 20, so I'm REALLY hoping not the latter?

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-22, 05:32 PM
Amber

Replacement action for Amber: activate ring, hide behind now-blown-across-room desk. Hide check [roll0]

Also, can you clarify what the spider did in "moving the Drow" in avoiding the telekinetic attacks? And was there something that blocked the greater dispel magic? Were there simply no spells to dispel? Was her caster level such that none of the dispels worked? The third result was a 20, so I'm REALLY hoping not the latter?

((1. Moving was fluff for the attacks missing.
2. Dispels may have worked, they may have not, there may have been a mix. You just don't know.
And damn I'm tired now. I'll post first thing. Sorry y'all.))

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-23, 11:21 AM
The majority of The Gentleman's attacks strike true, only two miss their mark within all the magical chaos.

The Drow looks extremely angry, the hate for you written on her face would stop the hearts of lesser mortals. Although as much as she hated the lot of you, the vines growing beneath her flawless dark skin were the true subject of her loathing. With a single movement she sent a pair of beams towards the Vrocks, each one determined to remove the bastard creatures from existance. ((DC28 Will Save apiece please Toliudar.))

The Spider beneath her itself then struck out, it's fangs piercing Gheldar's skin. ((18 damage and a DC 28 Fort Save or [roll0] Str damage before DR etc.))

With movements like shadows themselves the tall Humanoid creature then set upon it's target. Shifting next to the Gentleman it slammed into him with both of it's darkened fists. ((50 damage before DR etc.))

Watching the scene unfold Jallorn summoned his savage side to bear, his features becoming wild and cat-like.

Gheldar's turn.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-23, 12:57 PM
Gheldar Clearshoe

Refusing to be discouraged by the apparent bad luck from his first attacks, Gheldar continues to unleash a whirlwind of blades against the drow.

If the drow failed to spot me, these are against her flat-footed AC. Otherwise, just normal.

Again, make DC43 Tumble check, moving 20 feet clock-wise around the drow before the first attack, moving 5 feet between each subsequent attack. I will utilize the 65 feet of movement so as to not be inbetween the drow and one of her allies on the flanks (if possible).

Activating skirmisher boots again (swift).

Dervish Dance (scimitar, 15-20 crit threat, transmuted to overcome DR)
[roll21] [roll22] + [roll23] skirmish

Crit Confirmations

[roll24] [roll25]
[roll26] [roll27]
[roll28] [roll29]
[roll30] [roll31]
[roll32] [roll33]
[roll34] [roll35]
[roll36] [roll37]
[roll38] [roll39]

Again, trying to hide at the end of all this. [roll40]

Edit: Favored enemy bonus damage again, if applicable. If the drow drops, I would prefer to continue towards the non-winged creature, if possible.

Elistan
2009-10-23, 03:00 PM
Talon Nerkas

Nerkas merely grunts as his attacks are repelled. He balls his hands into fists, and lashes out at the drow woman.

Full attack on the drow. If she falls, he will transfer the rest of his attacks to the spider. Still Power Attacking for -5 AC/+5 Damage. Also switching to Bludgeoning damage.

Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
Attack: [roll2] Damage: [roll3]
Attack: [roll4] Damage: [roll5]
Attack: [roll6] Damage: [roll7]
Attack: [roll8] Damage: [roll9]
Attack: [roll10] Damage: [roll11]

Toliudar
2009-10-25, 01:21 AM
Amber

Vrock saves:
Round 2 damage from vines: [roll2] 1d4

Annoyed at the attacks against her sometime bodyguards/rides, Amber brings forth a pair of ungainly, massive lizards to harass the winged figure that attacked Gheldar.

Gangrel arches an eyebrow at the drow woman, and flies straight up. Wastrel clicks a long, forked tongue, and flies away from the battle, scanning for other enemies.

The two ice devils dive down behind the drow woman, stabbing down at her.

Amber casts SM VIII to bring in a pair of Fiendish Tyrannosaurs, placed so as to flank the winged creature. She is using her Ring of Mighty Summons while doing so. Bluff checks, opposed by their Sense Motive, which would normally be +2: [roll3] [roll4]

The tyrannosaurs are HP 315/AC 14, SR 23.

Both try to bite the winged creature, with the intent to grapple:
T1 attack, damage, opposed grapple: [roll5] [roll6] [roll7]
T2 attack, damage, opposed grapple: [roll8] [roll9] [roll10]

Gangrel once again casts greater dispel magic on the drow: (Opposed checks: [roll11] [roll12] [roll13] [roll14] [roll15] [roll16] [roll17] [roll18] [roll19] [roll20] [roll21] [roll22] [roll23]). It then flies up to 90' straight up.

Wastrel once again tries to dominate the spider. Will DC 27 to negate. It then moves 90' away from exploded wall.

Gelugon 1 moves so as to end 5' above and 10 to the left of the drow. Charging attack, damage: [roll24] [roll25]
Gelugon 2 moves so as to end 5' above and 10 to the right of the drow. Charging attack, damage: [roll26] [roll27]

If either devil's spear hits, the drow makes a DC 25 fort save or is slowed for [roll28] rounds.

I'll do a second post if either Vrock is still around.

Toliudar
2009-10-25, 01:23 AM
Screwed up damage roll for second vrock's vines: [roll0] to drow and spider.

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-28, 03:27 AM
Infuriatingly only a single blow gets through this time from Gheldar's blades. The Drow woman looks at you with contempt and laughs as strike after strike is deflected. However when the one that passes through her flesh hits, Gheldar's weapon warps and gains a golden light to it's edge, the blade cutting her cleanly.

As the almost mercurial beams surround the Vrocks they let out a screech of defiance each, before the silver light engulfs them entirely. They are gone.

As the two Ice Demons launch themselves at her the Drow lets out a scream and swings a a large Flail (the mace end being Lolth's holy symbol; a Spider with a human head) of black metal around her head, expertly deflecting the spear heads away from her as her mount moves with her, clearly still under her dominion.

Whilst both the Tyrannosaurs teeth sink into the winged creature, the first actually passes through it and loses it's grip. The second however manages to cling on, but just barely, it's teeth drawing what you suppose could be considered blood (though it's more like black ooze).

To begin with no matter how hard Nerkas tries his fists cannot find there target. The rippling green barrier is just too strong. However his last few strikes do find purchase, the Diamond quality of his soul piercing whatever defence she held against him.

The dinosaur teeth clingling to it's wings leech an unholy scream of agony from the winged monstrosity, and it unleashes a bolt of black energy at it's captor ((Will Save from T-Rex 2 please)).

Gentleman's Turn

Toliudar
2009-10-29, 10:24 AM
T-Rex saves: [roll0] [roll1]

The_Snark
2009-10-29, 08:28 PM
The Gentleman shifts expertly as his enemy strikes, and fists that could reduce an armored to paste merely knock him aside as he moves out of the blows' main path. Though staggered, the Gentleman's composure remains unbruised. His eyes watch the huge shadow-man's wide motions keenly, and his blade never remains still, darting first this way and then that in movements almost too fast to see. Each one is a feint, but there is no time for the enemy to think and realize this—it reacts instinctively, sometimes ignoring the blade, sometimes moving to knock it aside, and sometimes drawing back without meaning to.

And the Gentleman's unblinking eyes catalogue every flinch, every sign of weakness.

Full attack, with Raging Mongoose thrown in! All attacks are at +16, thanks to forgoing the attacks of opportunity from the last round (see the Stormguard Warrior feat, Tome of Battle). All attacks are touch attacks, dealing no damage but setting up more damage for the next round (again, see Stormguard Warrior)

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]

Also: the Gentleman will designate the big humanoid as his Dodge target, meaning that he ignores extra damage from Power Attack (Elusive Target). He also moves so that he's being flanked by the spider and the big humanoid—completely by accident, of course, but do make sure to list the damage from the humanoid's attacks separately next round...

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-01, 03:26 PM
((I assume they were all aimed at the Big enemy.))

Suffering The Gentleman's assault the creature moves in again to crush the man.
((2 Slam attacks, each dealing 23 damage before DR etc. 10ft away at first attack. 15ft reach.))

With that the Drow turns her attention to Nerkas, grasping his arm and unleashing a colossal blast of Negative Energy throughout his system. ((Will Save Please.))

Jallorn's turn.
Everybody else who's before the Winged Creature's turn too.

GalaGalaxia
2009-11-01, 05:45 PM
Gheldar

This drow is a stubborn one, he thinks to himself. One more go at it, before dealing with her minions.

Swift action to activate Brute Gauntlets, gaining a +2 morale bonus to melee damage. Continuing the attacks against the drow, despite her AC apparently being in the upper 40s. Any hint at all as to why the attacks aren't effective? Moving 20 feet before the first attack, at least 5 feet between each attack, and utilizing as much of the 65 ft movement I have to end in a position not flanked by the drow and a minion, preferably close to the tall enemy. DC 43 tumble check to move at full speed without provoking AoO.

Dervish Dance (scimitar, 15-20 crit threat, S damage, ignores 5 DR/hardness)

Crit Confirmations

[roll21] [roll22]
[roll23] [roll24]
[roll25] [roll26]
[roll27] [roll28]
[roll29] [roll30]
[roll31] [roll32]
[roll33] [roll34]

+4 damage (8 on crit) against arcanists
+2 damage (4 on crit) against undead

If the drow failed to spot me last round, these attacks are against her flat-footed AC.

Trying to hide again after the attacks:
[roll35]

Edit: Wth?? Rolling 9 or lower for 7 attacks? That bites ... royally. Even though my modifier is high, I can't hit ACs in the 40s with that.

Elistan
2009-11-01, 05:54 PM
Nerkas turns and soars into the air, turning and plummeting again towards the priestess. He points his fingers forward like daggers and strikes for her face and throat.

Will Save: [roll0]

Flying up a couple feet, turning and activating Belt of Battle for another charge and and making a Dive attack, changing to Piercing Damage on my Unarmed Attack. Power Attack for -5 AC +5 damage.

Attack: [roll1] Damage: [roll2] + [roll3]
Attack: [roll4] Damage: [roll5] + [roll6]
Attack: [roll7] Damage: [roll8] + [roll9]

Jallorn
2009-11-01, 07:38 PM
Moving backwards, Jallorn raises his hand and an arc of lightning shots from his palm towards the Drow.

Move action to move 30 feet away from enemies. Standard action and 14 PPs to cast an electric energy ray. Electric provides +3 to the attack roll if the drow is wearing metal armor, and +2 to overcome power resistance. Ranged touch attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] Pass on swift action (I really need to get quicken power)

Toliudar
2009-11-01, 09:23 PM
Amber

The balors swooped down towards the large humanoid, hovering above the ground front and back of it and slashing out with their swords.

Amber floats out and looks down at the assorted whizzing and blasting and slashing. Delightful! What a colourful group of gentlemen she was becoming affiliated with! They all moved with such speed and clarity, but perhaps she could help further.

The insectile devils stab out - one at the drow woman, and one at the spider on which the drow is riding - the frost of their spears brushing against them with surprising delicacy.

The second T-rex continue to chomp at the winged creature. The first reaches over to try to tear a morsel of it out of the other's mouth.

The balors both charge the large shadowy humanoid. They make charging attacks with vorpal swords, count as magic and evil, 10 points of power attack.
Wastrel: Attack Confirm [roll1] Damage [2d6+23
Gangrel: Attack Confirm [roll3] Damage [2d6+23

Amber is moving to the far wall, using either the remnants of the wall or the remnants of the floor, as needed, as cover. She is casting Haste, meant to affect all six fiendish creatures, herself and her companions below.

Gelugon 1 full attack on Spider:
Spear 1 Attack [roll4] Crit x3 confirm [roll5] Damage [roll6], Fort DC 25 or slowed [roll7] rounds
Spear Haste Attack [roll8] Crit x3 confirm [roll9] Damage [roll10], Fort DC 25 or slowed [roll11] rounds
Spear 2 Attack [roll12] Crit x3 confirm [roll13] Damage [roll14], Fort DC 25 or slowed [roll15] rounds
Spear 3 Attack [roll16] Crit x3 confirm [roll17] Damage [roll18], Fort DC 25 or slowed [roll19] rounds
Bite Attack [roll20] Crit confirm [roll21] Damage [roll22]
Tail Attack [roll23] Crit confirm [roll24] Damage [roll25], Fort DC 25 or slowed [roll26] rounds

Gelugon 2 full attack on Drow:
Spear 1 Attack [roll27] Crit x3 confirm [roll28] Damage [roll29], Fort DC 25 or slowed [roll30] rounds
Spear Haste Attack [roll31] Crit x3 confirm [roll32] Damage [roll33], Fort DC 25 or slowed [roll34] rounds
Spear 2 Attack [roll35] Crit x3 confirm [roll36] Damage [roll37], Fort DC 25 or slowed [roll38] rounds
Spear 3 Attack [roll39] Crit x3 confirm [roll40] Damage [roll41], Fort DC 25 or slowed [roll42] rounds
Bite Attack [roll43] Crit confirm [roll44] Damage [roll45]
Tail Attack [roll46] Crit confirm [roll47] Damage [roll48], Fort DC 25 or slowed [roll49] rounds

T-Rex 1: Bites twice at the winged creature, which will be denied dex to AC. It is seeking to join the grapple:
Attack 1: [roll50] Crit confirm [roll51] Damage [roll52] Opposed Grapple: [roll53]
Attack 2: [roll54] Crit confirm [roll55] Damage [roll56] Opposed Grapple: [roll57]

T-Rex 2: 2 opposed grapple checks to inflict bite damage. Amber is telling the T-Rex NOT to swallow the creature.
Opposed grapple 1: [roll58] Damage [roll59]
Opposed grapple 2: [roll60] Damage [roll61]

Toliudar
2009-11-01, 09:27 PM
Wastrel's attack is a definite miss, but Gangrel's might have hit. Fixing the damage roll for him: [roll0]

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-02, 05:29 AM
Shifted for battle Jallorn unleashes his thunderbolt, the electric energy running up the woman's metal armour with ease, leaching a scream from her.((Need A SR roll from you to be sure this hits.))
--
The Drow's variety of defences, both magical and mundane make Ghledar loose his cool for the briefest of moments, and in that instant his whirling blades of Death pass by her unnoticed, not one of them making contact with her flesh below.
--
The Humanoid creature's form effortlessly absorbs Wastrel's attack, but Gangrel's manages to find purchase in the pitch darkness.

Invoking her arcane power Amber's spell floods almost liquid waves of purple energy across battlefield. For her allies and servants time seems to slow down by a fraction of a second, everything becomes easer to see and do.

Despite their new speed, the flurry of activity surrounding the drow is just too much for the Ice Demons too handle, only a single attack finding purchase amongst the spells and strikes.

This time both T-Rex's find solid purchase with the winged creature, the unholy razors that hey call teeth spilling copious amounts of oily blood from it.
--
As the life draining energy passes through you, your devout training allows you the fortitude to throw off the worst of it and launch yourself skyward for another assault. Although the energy wasn't completely effective it did however throw off your focus, only one of your attacks passing through the green ripples that appear for your other two strikes. ((75 points of Negative Energy Damage before resistances etc. You also get another attack because of Amber's Haste Spell.))

Pinned at both sides the winged creature lets out a screech and tries to flee the battle, hopefully taking it's attackers with it. ((Will Save both T-Rex's please.))

Gentleman's turn.

The_Snark
2009-11-02, 06:29 AM
One of the disadvantages of being three times the size of your enemy is that you telegraph your every move in advance. The Gentleman neatly sidesteps out of the path of the shadowy being's first blow, which smashes firmly into the giant spider's leg immediately behind him. It's a little more cautious with its second, but nonetheless fails to reduce the elderly fellow to the paste any mere human rightfully should be when struck by such a being.

The distraction afforded by the demons is timely. As the huge shadow-man turns its attention upwards, the Gentleman steps inwards, bringing its leg into striking reach. In a deceptively casual motion, he slashes the tip of his blade precisely across the back of said leg, right where an important tendon would have been on a human. It is a blow designed to bring it to its knees, making the battle a little more level.

But the Gentleman doesn't stop moving; now that he has the measure of his foe, there is no reason to prolong this little skirmish any longer. The same motion extends into a skewering thrust to the other leg; a neat little flick tears the blade out of the creature's shadowy flesh with a tearing sound. That in turn flows into a skewering blow to the thigh, and so on. As the creature's injuries force it to its knees, more of it becomes vulnerable, and the Gentleman takes full advantage, striking higher and higher on its body. Kneecap. Gut. Palm. Elbow. Torso. Neck. Eye. His blade is not blindingly fast, but it never stops moving, and his every blow is aimed precisely at the shadowy being's most vulnerable parts.

Firstly, the shadow-guy's first attack gets directed at the giant spider, thanks to Elusive Target. The Gent takes 23 damage, and the spider takes however much damage is appropriate (provided the attack hits).

And then Time Stands Still! All attacks are directed at the shadowy guy. All 3 attacks of opportunity are forgone using Channel the Storm (Stormguard Warrior feat), resulting in a +12 to attack and damage; thanks to last round's buildup with Combat Rhythm (Stormguard Warrior again), all attacks against that enemy gain 55 to damage this round.

These attacks are with the point; they deal piercing damage.
[roll0], damage [roll1]
[roll2], damage [roll3]
[roll4], damage [roll5]
[roll6], damage [roll7]
[roll8], damage [roll9]
[roll10], damage [roll11]
[roll12], damage [roll13]
[roll14], damage [roll15]
[roll16], damage [roll17]
[roll18], damage [roll19]

These attacks are made with the rapier's edge, and deal slashing damage. They also ignore miss chance from illusions, although I don't think that matters here.
[roll20], damage [roll21]
[roll22], damage [roll23]
[roll24], damage [roll25]
[roll26], damage [roll27]

If the target dies, let me know how many attacks it took—I have another action that keys off its death...

Toliudar
2009-11-02, 09:27 AM
Pinned at both sides the winged creature lets out a screech and tries to flee the battle, hopefully taking it's attackers with it. ((Will Save both T-Rex's please.))

Will saves for the T-Rexes: [roll0] [roll1]

Opposed grapple checks, if the flying creature is trying to get away: [roll2] [roll3]

Also, I forgot that the Vine infestation on the drow and spider keep going, even after they're gone. Damage from this past round:
Spider: [roll4]
Drow: [roll5]

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-03, 05:00 AM
With a flash of violet light the Winged creature and the t-rex's are gone. Amber knows they are no longer on the Material Plane.

Though the Gentleman keeps striking just to be sure (you can never really tell with these things), he's pretty sure that it didn't take more than three hits to bring about it's demise.

Seeing her bodyguards gone the Drow lets out a rash prayer and in a flash of white light her wounds seem to seal up. She then swings her Lolth-ended mace at Gheldar, hoping to crush him beneath its weight. ((49 damage before DR and a pair of Fort Saves Please))

Her Spider mount then unleashed a sticky mass at the Gentleman, the web hardening and entrapping him. ((Escape Artist or Break The Webs to get out.))

Jallorn's turn.
Evertybory else's turn as well I guess.

GalaGalaxia
2009-11-03, 05:37 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]

GalaGalaxia
2009-11-03, 05:43 AM
Gheldar

Finding strength and encouragement from seeing the drow's minions disappear, Gheldar launches yet another round of vicious attacks against the drow!

Rinse and repeat!

Again, swift action to activate Brute Gauntlets, gaining a +2 morale bonus to melee damage. Moving 20 feet before the first attack, at least 5 feet between each attack, utilizing my full 65 ft movement. DC 43 tumble check to move at full speed without provoking AoO. Since I move at least 40 feet, my AC (including touch and flat-footed) goes up by 6, as usual.

Dervish Dance (scimitar, 15-20 crit threat, S damage, overcomes DR)

Crit Confirmations

[roll21] [roll22]
[roll23] [roll24]
[roll25] [roll26]
[roll27] [roll28]
[roll29] [roll30]
[roll31] [roll32]
[roll33] [roll34]

+4 damage (8 on crit) against arcanists
+2 damage (4 on crit) against undead

If the drow failed to spot me last round, these attacks are again against her flat-footed AC.

Trying to hide again after the attacks:
[roll35]

Elistan
2009-11-03, 11:50 AM
Nerkas

A small sigh escapes Nerkas as his attacks are resisted yet again. He soars into the air again, turning in the air and plummeting towards the elf, striking her several times before he even stops moving.

Same tactic. Fly up, activate Belt of Battle (last charge!), and make a Dive Attack at the drow. Power Attacking for 5. I also forgot about the higher ground thing last time, so I will include that in my attack rolls this time, since I am pretty much stopping right above her.

Attack: [roll0] Damage:[roll1] + [roll2]
Attack: [roll3] Damage:[roll4] + [roll5]
Attack: [roll6] Damage:[roll7] + [roll8]

Jallorn
2009-11-04, 08:05 PM
With a sound like a bark, Jallorn unleashes another lightning bolt, this one brighter than the last.

Just using energy bolt, 17 PPs. Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] Spellcaster check: [roll2]
Made a mistake, +1 to attack, -1 from Spellcaster check

Toliudar
2009-11-05, 12:38 AM
Amber

Amber grimaces as she sees the spider glob up the Gentleman. That seems unfortunate. He's such an agile mover. That spider is really annoying me.

She points at the spider, abruptly becoming visible again as she crouches against the floor. As a precaution, she then drifts back behind the desk again.

The gelugons lunge forward in more forlorn efforts to strike back at the drow woman.

Wastrel and Gangrel unload a full array of nastiness on the drow.

Somewhere, on another plane, the T-Rexes continue to try to make a Nightwing Value Meal.

Amber casts Maze on the spider, and flies back behind the desk.

Gelugon 1:
Spear 1 Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] and Fort DC 25 or be slowed for [roll2] rounds.
Spear Haste attack: [roll3] Damage: [roll4] and Fort DC 25 or be slowed for [roll5] rounds.
Spear 2 Attack: [roll6] Damage: [roll7] and Fort DC 25 or be slowed for [roll8] rounds.
Spear 3 Attack: [roll9] Damage: [roll10] and Fort DC 25 or be slowed for [roll11] rounds.
Bite: [roll12] Damage: [roll13].
Tail: [roll14] Damage: [roll15] and Fort DC 25 or be slowed for [roll16] rounds.

Gelugon 2:
Spear 1 Attack: [roll17] Damage: [roll18] and Fort DC 25 or be slowed for [roll19] rounds.
Spear Haste attack: [roll20] Damage: [roll21] and Fort DC 25 or be slowed for [roll22] rounds.
Spear 2 Attack: [roll23] Damage: [roll24] and Fort DC 25 or be slowed for [roll25] rounds.
Spear 3 Attack: [roll26] Damage: [roll27] and Fort DC 25 or be slowed for [roll28] rounds.
Bite: [roll29] Damage: [roll30].
Tail: [roll31] Damage: [roll32] and Fort DC 25 or be slowed for [roll33] rounds.

Gangrel full attack on Drow:
Vorpal Sword Attack [roll34] Damage [roll35]
Vorpal Sword Attack [roll36] Damage [roll37]
Vorpal Sword Attack [roll38] Damage [roll39]
Vorpal Sword Attack [roll40] Damage [roll41]
Vorpal Sword Attack [roll42] Damage [roll43]
Flaming Whip Attack [roll44] Damage [roll45] Fire [roll46] Opposed Strength check [roll47] or be dragged against the balor's body for an additional [roll48] fire damage
Flaming Whip Attack [roll49] Damage [roll50] Fire [roll51] Opposed Strength check [roll52] or be dragged against the balor's body for an additional [roll53] fire damage

Wastrel full attack on Drow:
Vorpal Sword Attack [roll54] Damage [roll55]
Vorpal Sword Attack [roll56] Damage [roll57]
Vorpal Sword Attack [roll58] Damage [roll59]
Vorpal Sword Attack [roll60] Damage [roll61]
Vorpal Sword Attack [roll62] Damage [roll63]
Flaming Whip Attack [roll64] Damage [roll65] Fire [roll66] Opposed Strength check [roll67] or be dragged against the balor's body for an additional [roll68] fire damage
Flaming Whip Attack [roll69] Damage [roll70] Fire [roll71] Opposed Strength check [roll72] or be dragged against the balor's body for an additional [roll73] fire damage

T-Rex opposed grapples, in case they become relevant:
T-Rex 1
Opposed grapple [roll74] Damage [roll75]
Opposed grapple [roll76] Damage [roll77]

T-Rex 2
Opposed grapple [roll78] Damage [roll79]
Opposed grapple [roll80] Damage [roll81]

Toliudar
2009-11-05, 12:49 AM
Critical confirmations:

Gelugon 1, 1st spear attack on drow rolled a 20: [roll0], Extra damage [roll1]

Gelugon 2, bite attack: [roll2], extra damage [roll3]

If both Wastrel and Gangrel are successful in dragging the drow woman up against them, they will take 5' steps as needed in order to accomplish this.

Toliudar
2009-11-05, 12:50 AM
And I keep forgetting this, but ongoing vine damage from the Vrocks:
Drow: [roll0]
Spider: [roll1]

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-05, 04:27 AM
Jallorn's bolt strikes true, the white light illuminating the everything in an eerie glow for a moment before searing through the Drow's armour.

Fighting off the unholy poison within the Drow's Mace, Gheldar unleashes another round of slashes, the light of Jallorn's Power making a very cool strobe effect, just as his most lethal strike cuts clean into her back.

As the Demon swarm assaults her, their various blades, spears, teeth and whips cutting into her once perfect, jet black skin to ribbons, the woman let out a cry in Common.

Spider Queen, I beseech thee. Smite Down These Heathens with Your Almighty Power!!

As Nerkas dives through the flurry of Fire, Ice and Darkness, the Royal Blue light of Absolute Law shone from his empowered fists, and with a strike that punched clean through her armour he took from her the last of her strength.

However all of your who can see, see no fear in her eyes, only acceptance. That and perhaps some sort of insane satisfaction. It takes a moment for you to realise that her body is glowing with black light, darker than the night surrounding you, yet at the same time too bright to look at.

With a final high pitched scream the Drow woman is torn apart, and a flash of pure blackness explodes out throughout the area. the structure you came from is turned to dust, the ground beneath you gives way, and the very air seems to be wretched with agony.

You yourselves take the full brunt of the strike, which is unlike anything you've ever felt before. It feels like the Drow is actually crushing you in vengeance for what you did to her, the hate that flows into your mind almost as intolerable as the explosion itself. No amount of defences can stop the pain that wracks your bodies. ((95 damage each, no way to resist/block it))

When the inky flash subsides you are in a 60ft crater in the ground, the house that formerly stood behind you is long gone.

Toliudar
2009-11-05, 05:00 AM
A insectile devil slides, insensate, to the bottom of the crater. The skin of a prone balor catches fire again, and it rises up onto its elbows. With a sound somewhere between a whimper and a sigh, a very small gnome pulls herself out from under some rubble.

Sitting up, Amber reaches back smoothly into her pack, pulls out a small stick, and taps her very, very sore shoulder with it.

"Ow. Owowow. She had...absolutely no sense of humour."

The gnome vanishes. Chanting is heard from the air nearby, and a unicorn appears. More chanting, and a second unicorn. The unicorns begin to nuzzle the unconscious men.

Gangrel spirals up in order to get a better look around.

The_Snark
2009-11-05, 05:22 AM
As the spider spits forth a mass of webbing, the Gentleman... is no longer there, having seen it coming a few seconds beforehand and moved neatly behind one of the spider's own legs.

The explosion, by contrast, takes him utterly off guard. The patterns behind this magic are thin, black, and too tightly wound together for his blade to find any weak spot: the handiwork of a malevolent goddess. In the moment before it overwhelms him, he almost fancies he can make out a cruelly smiling face woven in the tapestry of the spell...

A moment (seconds? Minutes? Hours?), the blackness recedes from his eyes. A tap restores his sword to a cane once again, which he uses to lever himself upright. His eyes flick about the battlefield, searching for threats. Finding none, he leans heavily on his cane, looking much the worse for wear.

Elistan
2009-11-05, 11:01 AM
Talon Nerkas

As the blackness envelopes him, Nerkas closes his eyes, preparing himself to finally meet his god face to face. The pain sears through him, but he merely smiles in anticipation. His mind becomes fuzzy and distant, and his body grows weak. He tumbles to the ground, and slips into the void....

...He is awakened by a Unicorn tapping his back with its horn. He feels the healing energies surge through his broken body and he strokes the mane of the magnificent creature, whispering in its ear, "Many thanks, brother. You are truly a wondrous friend!"

He turns to the others, "That was a bit close, was it not, friends? Perhaps the next time we enter into combat we will be a bit wiser."

Toliudar
2009-11-05, 12:23 PM
Amber

Amber's voice drifts by Talon.

"You bet your ass she is. Here. Maybe she can ease the pain."

The unicorn delicately nudges Talon with its horn a few times. The other does the same with the Gentleman, unless he seems to object.

"I wouldn't say that we so much entered combat as had it enter us. Ow ow ow."

Healing for Talon: [roll0], [roll1] and [roll2] = 24
Healing for the Gentleman: [roll3], [roll4] and [roll5] = 41

Anyone poisoned?

GalaGalaxia
2009-11-05, 01:24 PM
Gheldar

When the woman bursts into a million pieces, Gheldar gets knocked unconscious. As he sees life fading before him, he manages to draw a last little bit of strength from the last hit on the drow woman. Had he not been able to connect, he knows he would have been dead. Even as Gheldar falls to the ground, there is a smile on his face, knowing that the wretched woman has been defeated.

After being revived by the unicorns, Gheldar nods towards Amber with gratitude.

"That ... hurt!" He dusts dirt and debris off. "Any casualties among us?"

Gheldar looks around to see where the heck we are.

Toliudar
2009-11-05, 02:29 PM
Amber

Seeing that this may be an even more elaborate process than she'd thought, Amber brings in another unicorn, this one seeming to gleam with even more purity and brilliance than the others. It starts poking at Gheldar.

"Casualties? Well, the Vrocks du jour went away, but I doubt that you care much about them."

Casting Summon Nature's Ally 9 to bring in the Celestial Charger unicorn.

To speed things along...it will cast cure critical wounds on Gheldar [roll0], then CCW on Jallorn in case he needs reviving [roll1], then return to do a pair of CSW on Gheldar [roll2] before Amber floats over to it so that it can heal her with a cure critical wounds and two cure moderate wounds [roll3]. So if Gheldar started at -8, he's now at 65.

Elistan
2009-11-05, 02:59 PM
Talon Nerkas

Nerkas meditates for a moment, focusing on the pain in his body. His wounds begin to knit themselves together, and the pain is relieved somewhat.

He opens his eyes and looks about him at the destruction, "Perhaps we should find a place to rest, and we should attempt to find his Highness and make sure he is uninjured."

Using Wholeness of Body to heal 34 HP. That puts me at 50 HP.

GalaGalaxia
2009-11-05, 05:18 PM
"Yes, I did notice the vrocks were gone ... and the rexes. But it seems as though the rest of us are alive, although not necessarily kickin'."

Toliudar
2009-11-05, 05:46 PM
The gnome's voice drifts closer to Gheldar.

"Ah! 'Vrocks' and 'Rexes.' You sound like a connoisseur, sir. Are you a summoner yourself?"

GalaGalaxia
2009-11-05, 06:30 PM
Gheldar

"Unless drawing my trusty blades counts ..." He wipes the blades clean and checks for dings. "But I've heard more of you, Amber, than you perhaps realize. Many stories from Annidar. And I have had the fortune -- misfortune? -- of encountering many creatures in my days. Ask me their names, but not what they can do. I generally hold the blade that cuts their throat, not have them do my bidding."

He pauses for a moment.

"That came off harsh. But you know what I mean ..."

GalaGalaxia
2009-11-05, 06:37 PM
Gheldar

Gheldar looks around. "Well, I know where we are ... just not where we are."

"My grandfather had a second sense for direction. He knew his way around, wherever he went. Had he been here, I'm sure he would've been able to tell us where to go next. Unfortunately, he took much of that knowledge to the grave ... All I know is that we're far from what I normally call home." ... "Or Amber, for that matter ..."

Jallorn
2009-11-05, 08:15 PM
As the darkness envelops him, Jallorn retains consciousness through a sheer force of will. As it dissipates, he collapses to the ground, panting heavily. After a few moments, his body seems to shine with a soft light that falls on everyone within 20 ft. Standing, he looks around and says, "I am as lost as the rest of you, but I have little need for such knowledge most times. I live where I am."

Mend Wounds, 17 PPs to heal everyone within 20 ft by 65 points.

Toliudar
2009-11-05, 09:39 PM
Amber

As Jallorn's pale light fades, Amber sighs with relief. The unicorn wanders around to help take care of any remaining wounds.

GalaGalaxia
2009-11-05, 09:59 PM
Gheldar

"Well we can't just sit here. If the drow and her minions knew we were coming, you can be sure others do as well. Let's head out!"

Gheldar looks around for a suitable route. He scopes the surrounding area for a safe place to rest.

"Once we are in safety, we can better plan our next move. But being out in the open like this makes me uneasy."

Survival check to find a suitable "safe" place within walking distance, preferably hills or mountains. [roll0]

If you need a Knowledge(nature) check for me to actually know/find such a place: [roll1]

Gheldar starts walking whithersoever his knowledge directs him.

Toliudar
2009-11-05, 10:39 PM
Amber

"Does that mean that you don't want to follow up on Pelor's whereabouts?"

Amber watches Gheldar head off. The unicorn finishes up by expending the rest of its healings on the two balors, who have now settled back to earth.

GalaGalaxia
2009-11-05, 10:54 PM
Gheldar

Gheldar halts himself briefly.

"Well, of course I do! I mean, that's why we all came, isn't it? But right now we are vulnerable. We are out in the open. The building we were just in has been blown to pieces. Our presence here was known. Sure, there might be others out there with a good lead into Pelor's disappearance. But we may also be the only ones tasked to do something about it. If we have been compromised, that means we need to ensure safety first. I would rather not sit in the open if someone else returns to finish the job this drow was sent to carry out."

He pauses for a moment.

"The letter we were supposed to get ... well, that's lost now. The transportation we were supposed to be given ... that's also not a current option. We assume His Highness made it out safely. But we don't know that for sure. We won't go far, in case he returns. But we must go, before we are attacked again."

He looks at the others.

"Unless someone else has a better idea, I suggest that we find a safe place to rest and plan our next move."

The_Snark
2009-11-06, 12:09 AM
The Gentleman nods gratefully to the unicorn as it closes the worst of his wounds, and hobbles over to join the others as they discuss where to go next. "Actually, I believe that Miss..." He halts, searching for the name. "Amber, I believe? Do forgive my memory—I'm afraid this little affair has rather overshadowed our introductions. In any case: unless I am very much mistaken she is a conjurer of considerable skill, more than capable of transporting us to Elysium."

"We would not have the letter of recommendation the high priest promised us, of course, but I'm sure we could make do. There aren't many better places we could take refuge from the sorts of creature that attacked us, I think."

GalaGalaxia
2009-11-06, 12:26 AM
Gheldar

Gheldar nods towards the Gentleman. "You are not mistaken, good sir. She has more than a few surprises up her sleeve. If that is the will of the rest, I will happily go along with that, assuming miss Amber herself is on board with the idea." He looks at Amber.

"Now, where on the plane we should seek to arrive is a completely different question ... Any wisdom on that matter?"

Toliudar
2009-11-06, 01:42 AM
Amber

Amber pops back into visibility, once again looking like a wingless imp.

"I think I can make this chat easier, guys. I haven't made too too many trips to Elysium. My spell is attuned to the entry level. With a little guidance and perhaps some legwork, we can proceed from there, but we've got to get there first and sort of ask for directions. Which is why I was hoping for that letter. But we'd manage."

GalaGalaxia
2009-11-06, 03:06 AM
Gheldar

"Very well! Let's finish up here, make sure we are not leaving anything behind."

[roll0]

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-06, 04:16 AM
With everyone healed up the Balor reports in to Amber.

You are in a forest. To the North, East and West you are entirely surrounded by trees for at least 20 miles. After about 2 minutes the Southern woodland falls in favour of grassland, hilly but for the most part unadorned. It has seen a settlement in both directions, a small town 10 miles to the South, and a tiny settlement (most likely a camp of some kind) about 5 miles to the North-East, amongst the trees.

This is definitely the material Plane, though where exactly is unknown. There is a Mountain range available in the Western distance, but it's too far away to identify.

Toliudar
2009-11-06, 10:10 AM
Amber

Amber looks around. The imp-face scrunches up as she looks around at the woods.

"The trees and sunlight would be characteristic of the Southlands, so we're at least on the right area of the continent. But this is some weird siht. The king and his closest advisors bring us in to meet with them, and they teleport us to a weird magical building in the middle of nowhere. Then the ambush shows up and they leave, without so much as a word to us. Suggests either like this was a trap, or they didn't trust us enough to take us home to meet the folks.

If we're going to Elysium, I'll leave the boys here to fend for themselves, and come back when we're done. But we could also teleport to Teldar and try for a second audience with King Orgos. Making sure, for instance, that it really was King Orgos who we met with earlier. It's been a few years since I've seen the royal palace, but I can get us there."

The imp shrugs.

"What do you all think?"

Knowledge Geography to know what region we might be in (mostly, just care whether it's in Menrana, or even on the same world as Menrana) [roll0]

Elistan
2009-11-06, 02:42 PM
Talon Nerkas

Nerkas flutters up into the air, glancing out over the sea of trees that surrounds them. He returns to the ground and speaks to Gheldar, "I think that perhaps our best choice would be to approach the camp to the North-East. Even if they turn out to be hostile, there will only be a few of them that way, and we should be able to subdue them with little or no violence. That is the goal here, after all. I think there has been quite enough bloodshed for a single day, no?"

Jallorn
2009-11-06, 08:18 PM
Jallorn, having since returned to human form, silently turns towards the settlement, surveying it for any useful information.

Spot:[roll0]

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-07, 02:50 PM
((Jallorn: There is about 5 miles of forest between you and the camp. The forest is not exactly sparce, but nor is it so dense that you'd need to weave between trees. There does seem to be an unusually high number of spiders within, but that could just be a coincidence.))

Toliudar
2009-11-09, 01:05 PM
Amber

The Amber-imp's face creases in confusion. She points at the mountain range in the distance.

"Look, guys. That's the Expanse on the other side of those mountains, which means that we're pretty far north. I know you boys can move fast - you just proved that - but it'd take us weeks to get to the capital overland. With three teleportations, I can get us all there, and you can ask after the king there."

She shrugs.

"Your call."

Jallorn
2009-11-09, 03:21 PM
"No," Jallorn shakes his head, "Either the king was the target and he'll now be inaccessible, or we're the target and we'll put the king in danger. Either way, he won't see us. We should continue on. As far as I can tell that camp may be where the drow came from, I think we should investigate."

GalaGalaxia
2009-11-09, 04:41 PM
Gheldar

"If that's where the drow and her minions really came from, I can easily find out! One moment." Gheldar starts walking around the crater, closely examining the ground.

Search check to find tracks: [roll0]
Survival check to find where they lead: [roll1] (+4 against arcanists, +2 against undead)

Elistan
2009-11-09, 04:52 PM
Talon Nerkas

Talon speaks up, "I am afraid I must agree with Master Jallorn. I do not think that we can, in good conscious, endanger His Majesty more than we absolutely must. This includes seeking an audience with him."

He watches Gheldar for a moment, thinking, "But we still need a way to get to Elysium, and a way to find our way about once we are there. I do not believe that I know anyone who would be able to help us, but surely there must someone that would be willing to assist us in this endeavor, even if we must pay for their services."

Toliudar
2009-11-09, 04:57 PM
Amber

Amber shrugs.

"Oh, I can get us to Elysium. But if you want to start out at this encampment...we can do that too."

The imp disappears again, and all four fiends stand, ready to head out above the treeline. Amber's voice comes from some where slightly further up.

"Anybody need help flying - not you, Father Talon, you got that in the bag - or would you rather walk?"

GalaGalaxia
2009-11-09, 05:14 PM
Gheldar

Without looking up, Gheldar replies: "I can walk faster than I can fly ... although, I can fly if the need would arise."

GalaGalaxia
2009-11-10, 02:28 PM
Gheldar

"There are some footprints over here ... looks as though they could have been made by the spider, or at least a spider. But no tracks from the drow herself, nor her minions. The spider tracks lead into the forest, though I cannot tell how far unless I follow them."

Jallorn
2009-11-10, 02:48 PM
"Her minions wouldn't leave tracks, they were shadows. And she may not have stepped off her spider. I think it's worth investigating."

GalaGalaxia
2009-11-10, 03:55 PM
Gheldar

Gheldar chuckles. "I'm a shadow, too!" He walks around without leaving as much as a trace on the ground.

Trackless Step + Hide in Plain Sight ... not going to roll to hide. Merely proving a point.

"Well, since I've been able to find their tracks ... Let's see where they lead."

Survival [roll0]

Toliudar
2009-11-10, 04:07 PM
Amber

Gentleman:Amber's voice "pings" into your head softly. "Sorry for the intrusion, bud, but I noticed that your horse didn't seem to make it. Long as you don't mind one of the blue bugs touching you now and then, you can fly there in style. Lot more comfy than walking, anyway. Whataya say?"

Jallorn
2009-11-10, 11:29 PM
"I never said a lack of tracks means you're a shadow, just that shadows don't leave tracks."

GalaGalaxia
2009-11-10, 11:44 PM
"But ... I really am shadowy ..." :smallconfused:

@Jallorn
Gheldar has the Dark template and is native to the Plane of Shadow ... The Hide in Plain Sight feature is due to being "shadowy".

The_Snark
2009-11-11, 02:55 PM
Amber:"If we're going overland, I would be most grateful. My leg really isn't what it used to be."

Elistan
2009-11-11, 03:58 PM
Talon Nerkas

Talon flutters his wings, "It sounds as if we have decided, then."

He turns to Gheldar, "Lead on, good sir! Let us see where these tracks shall lead us."

Toliudar
2009-11-11, 04:40 PM
One of the gelugon's swoops down and, with one hand, scoops the Gentleman gently up into the air. After a few seconds, the Gelugon lets go, continuing to fly on after Gheldar. The gentleman remains floating in the air, moving forward on his own.

Amber's voice drifts to the others as they get underway.

"Wastrel's butt-ugly, but he's got a heck of a touch with magical defenses. Protects you from mind-control, helps shunt weapons away from you and fortifies you against magic. If you don't think too much about where the power's coming from, it's a mighty handy thing. Who's up for it?"

Jallorn
2009-11-11, 07:15 PM
With a grunt, Jallorn shifts into full panther form, shifting his clothes with him. Impatiently, he makes his way towards the camp, looking for some trees to travel through.

GalaGalaxia
2009-11-14, 02:43 AM
Gheldar

Closely examining the tracks, Gheldar picks up a trail that leads into the forest. "Hey, guys. This is a good one to follow!"

Leading the group along, Gheldar follows the tracks for about a mile into the forest. Up ahead there is a small clearing.

"Hmm, it looks like the creature staued here for a while. The small button-shaped tracks are all over the place! There are also a couple humanoid footprints!" Pointing to some of the humanoid tracks, Gheldar turns to his comrades. "Does anyone recognize these?"

I assume a Knowledge(local) can help them identify the tracks?

Jallorn
2009-11-14, 12:05 PM
Jallorn sniffs around, trying to pick up any kind of recognizable scent.

survival check to track DC 10 [roll0]

Toliudar
2009-11-14, 03:55 PM
Amber

Amber's voice drifts from above.

"Sorry, I'm usually making tracks, not looking at them."

GalaGalaxia
2009-11-14, 05:47 PM
Gheldar

"Hmm, this looks a little peculiar." Gheldar takes a closer look at the area.

Search check to find additional information about the tracks and/or notice any other "strange" things in the area showing signs of what the creature(s) did here.

Search [roll0]

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-19, 08:25 AM
This was definately where the Drow came from, Jallorn picks up her scent easily, along with those of a dozen different alchemeical reagents.

Gheldar finds a small pile of about 20 broken Lolthian holy symbols, made of what seems to be spiderweb they were snapped in half. A DC27 Spellcraft from anyone will tell you that each one was enchanted with a single usage of Persistent Spell, which was probably how she was able to sustain so many defensive spells at once.

There doesn't appear to be anything else in the clearing, nor are there any further tracks, meaning they most likely warped in somehow. You are a bit off course, but have been heading in the general direction of the camp, it's about another couple of miles off.

Toliudar
2009-11-19, 03:12 PM
Amber drifts down to examine the strange devices.

"Huh. Clever. Sure explains how that spindly girl got so big and tough."

Spellcraft [roll0] Should be automatic, but just to be sure.

GalaGalaxia
2009-11-20, 12:57 AM
Gheldar

"Yes, that does explain things ..." He pauses. "Shall we continue on? The encampment is still ahead!"

Toliudar
2009-11-20, 01:13 AM
Amber's voice drifts upward again.

"Asssss youuuuuuuu wishhhhhhh."

Elistan
2009-11-20, 01:18 PM
Talon Nerkas

Nerkas nods decisively, "Indeed, let us continue on!"

He flutters a dozen feet off the ground and heads off towards the encampment.

Jallorn
2009-11-20, 03:13 PM
Jallorn says nothing, not being able to, and simply nods his head.

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-23, 01:40 PM
Nothing occurs on the way to the encampment. (Assumed) scout reports show that it consists of 12 tents, one much larger tent, plus one large canvas covered area where people are cooking. A large fire is at the centre of the encampment, and most of the other inhabitants are around it. to the side of it there is a large stock of firewood, chopped and ready.

The tents and cooking area are simple brown canvas, but the larger tent is red and has these (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Chinese_Temple_Roof_2.jpg) at the corners of it's roof (minus the dragons).

The people are eating some kind of meat and what looks like a thick grass, and though they each have a weapon within reach, they are unarmoured, except for two who patrol the perimeter.

Toliudar
2009-11-23, 02:15 PM
Amber

"Why don't you gentlemen head into the camp. It might be easier if we stayed out here. Cause less of a ruckus, anyway."

Amber and the fiend brigade angle back down into the woods short of the encampment.

Gentleman:
Amber's voice comes into his head:

"Think really hard at me if you want us to come running. It really doesn't look like there's anything to be worried about here, though."

The_Snark
2009-11-30, 02:39 AM
The Gentleman nods absently as he floats to the ground, alighting carefully so as not to strain his bad leg. "Perhaps they ought to see me first? I imagine that they will be wary of anything strange, as well they should be in the wilderness. In that sense I am less, mmm, threatening."

Either taking assent for granted or just to make up for his slow pace, he starts for the camp at once, making no effort to hide himself.

Jallorn
2009-11-30, 02:51 AM
Jallorn settles down on the ground, relaxing, though he keeps his eyes on the camp.

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-30, 07:25 AM
The rustling caused by passing through the trees stirs the residents, the two armoured men ready to kill, and most of the others trading their plates for a variety of swords and axes.

Seeing the Gentleman and his two companions they seem to untense ever so slightly, but not enough to lower their weapons. One of the armoured men speaks first.

"You shouldn't sneak through the woods, many a man's ended up dead that way. Who are you, and what do you want?"

Though he's keeping his blade pointed at you, his words don't seem to be a threat.

The_Snark
2009-11-30, 06:21 PM
The Gentleman raises his free hand, showing that he is unarmed. (The other hand stays on his cane, which is of course a weapon. But they don't know that.)

"Travelers, of course, and I believe we were hoping for information. We are new to the area, you see, and were rather surprised to be set upon by a group of strange beasts earlier today. Perhaps you could tell us if this sort of thing is normal around here?"

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-01, 12:48 PM
"Depends how strange you mean. Some of the freakier things from The Great Wood make it through occasionally, but beyond that the odd Dire Boar is the worst we get."

He lowers his sword, apparently satisfied that you aren't about to pillage them senseless.

"You eaten yet tonight? If you take a split of the patrols into the forest later you can have a fair share of ours."

Elistan
2009-12-01, 01:38 PM
Talon Nerkas

Nerkas glances at his companions before he replies, "Indeed we have not, kind sir, and I would gladly take part in the patrols this evening, though I cannot speak for my friends." He bows deeply, his wings fluttering behind him as he straightens.

GalaGalaxia
2009-12-01, 03:21 PM
Gheldar

"If I may say so myself, I am an expert tracker and able patrolman, especially under cover of darkness. I will gladly assist in exchange for a meal." He bows and nods greetingly to everyone in view. "I am Gheldar ... Far from home, but not even close to the farthest I have traveled in my past."

Toliudar
2009-12-01, 03:40 PM
Amber

The imp-gnome fidgets as she waits for the three to return from camp.

"How long could this possibly take. 'Hey, seen a black-skinned elf riding a huge spider anywhere around here? No? Thanks, then, we'll be on our way.' Or 'Yeah? Which way'd she come from? Great!'"

She releases a breath, slowly, and turns over to Jallorn.

"So, where were you when this crazy summons found you?"

Jallorn
2009-12-01, 04:43 PM
Jallorn however had fallen asleep, his head resting on his paws.

Toliudar
2009-12-01, 08:05 PM
Amber

Amber notices that Jallorn has nodded off. Invisibly, she grimaces.

"Aw, crap! I'd forgotten about the kid's 'cat naps.'"

The_Snark
2009-12-02, 06:32 PM
The Gentleman coughs, looking slightly... embarrassed? Irritated? Hard to tell. "A fair offer, but I'm afraid we must decline. We are in something of a hurry, you see, and have more travelling to do before we stop for the night."

"Thank you for the information." He bows and turns to leave, walking slowly. Because of his leg, of course, but it conveniently also gives him time to make sure the other two are following.

GalaGalaxia
2009-12-03, 06:00 AM
Gheldar

"Alas! He speaks wisely ..." Gheldar halts himself in the middle of his acceptance of the meal invitation. "We really need to be on our way ..." He winks and turns to follow the Gent.

Elistan
2009-12-03, 12:38 PM
Talon Nerkas

Nerkas sighs, "I am terribly sorry for the rudeness of my companions. I hope that you shall forgive us." With that he bows a final time, and follows the others out of the campsite, fluttering a few inches of the ground.

GalaGalaxia
2009-12-04, 03:17 PM
Gheldar

Back with the rest of the group — "They do not know anything ... Well, I am sure they do know certain things; but they do not know anything of value to us. ... Actually, they do know a few things that might be valuable; but not what we came looking for. ... Unless you guys want food ... they have that ..."

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-04, 03:41 PM
As Gheldar steps forward towards Amber and the sleeping Jallorn they feel the ground beneath him give way, and the three of them fall through a hole in the ground, about a foot of dirt and detritus comes down with them, though they only fall about 10 ft before hitting the ground below.

((1d6 falling damage if you can't fly/tumble etc. it away))

Those with Darkvision (but not lowlight, the tree canopy prevents starlight reaching this far down) see they are in a "room" approximately 10ft in diameter. It is solid compacted earth, with occasional tree roots popping through

A large mirror is leaning against one "wall", opposite it on the other side there a rotten wooden table bearing a full bottle, as well as a pair of empty ones and half a broken one with shards of glass around it, a leather bag that would just fit in a human hand, and a large sword in a scabbard.

Beneath the table is a padlocked chest.

Toliudar
2009-12-04, 04:11 PM
Amber

As Amber drifts down to be able to look at the contents of the room, she taps one of the rocks that have fallen into the room from above. It begins glowing with a slightly pulsating, cheerful yellow warmth.

She floats back up to hang above where the ceiling of the room had been. She murmurs another enchantment, and looks around again.

Amber is casting light on a rock on the floor. She then casts detect magic and scans the room. She mentally instructs Wastrel to look around using True Seeing and report if there is anything hidden or altered in or near the room.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-04, 04:19 PM
((Now everyone can see in the room.))

Toliudar
2009-12-04, 07:01 PM
Amber's voice drifts down into the room.

Let's see. That sword's got some decent mojo going on, but I can't make out details. The locked chest has got some kind of powerful protection aura around it...can't make out too much more there. One of those shards of glass is enchanted with something - transmutation magic of some kind. The bottle's got some kind of potion in it, maybe.

And that mirror...it might be of some use to us right away, if I'm guessing correctly.

Amber drifts downward, and caresses the frame of the mirror. Her voice takes on a less playful and more authoritarian edge.

"Show me Pelor's Palace in Elysium."

If relevant, a Use Magic Device check to activate the mirror [roll0]

GalaGalaxia
2009-12-05, 03:07 PM
Gheldar

Gheldar carefully approaches the chest to inspect it. "Hmm, what have we here?"

Search check to look for traps: [roll0]
If a trap is found, Disable Device check to disable the trap: [roll1]
Then, an Open Lock check on the padlock: [roll2]

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-05, 03:24 PM
Amber is greeted by the view of an Angel, gold wings curve down it's back, and it is beautiful beyond all comprehension, even if you are unsure if it's male or female.

It raises a white square from in front of it, and runs it's finger across it. It then holds up the square and turns it round. Silver ink runs across it, spelling the words:

LOL NO!!

Apparently, while you have figured out a function of the mirror, showing the actual home of a God, even a missing one, is to much for it to do.

Toliudar
2009-12-05, 03:39 PM
Amber shrugs. Well, she'd guessed right on the mirror, anyway. She turns visible in a version of her own own form, smiles and waves at the angel. Any archon that has a sense of humour...them, she could talk with. And might yet, given the chance. Amber carefully examines the area where the angel is standing.

"Okay, guys. We found where the weird elf-girl hung out. Happy? Can we go to heaven now?"

Elistan
2009-12-05, 10:30 PM
Talon Nerkas

Nerkas glances at Amber and raises a single eyebrow, "Patience, daughter Amber. I do not believe time is quite as short as that. It may be in our best interest to examine the drow's resting place, and perhaps to find a reason for the attack itself."

He turns to Gheldar, "Can you decipher anything from the chest, my son? Do you think that you can open it?"

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-06, 12:42 PM
Gheldar finds a pressure plate under the chest, and swiftly disables it. He also manages to disengage a rune on the top of the box by scratching though one of the lines ((@Amber: the magical aura disappears from around it)). He also successfully picks the lock.

Opening the chest he finds.....(PM incoming)

The angel in the mirror is backed by a faint gold light, nothing is visible.

Toliudar
2009-12-06, 01:10 PM
Amber glances over at Nerkas but opts not to comment. She becomes invisible once again, and the mirror blacks out and disappears into her packsack.

"Well, at least we know it wasn't us she was after, unless she could foretell the future. If she was set up here, then she somehow knew that the king and his cronies were at the weird magic exploding building."

GalaGalaxia
2009-12-07, 12:31 AM
Gheldar

"Payday, my dear comrades! Looks to be about 2000 platinum pieces in here. What say ye -- do you want your share now, or ... should I just carry this chest around until a more convenient place and location?"

Jallorn
2009-12-07, 01:05 AM
Awakening, Jallorn stretches and yawns in cat-like fashion, takes a peek in the hole, then loses interest and moves off into the forest to hunt.

Survival check to scare up some food: [roll0]

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-07, 09:46 AM
Awakening, Jallorn stretches and yawns in cat-like fashion, takes a peek in the hole, then loses interest and moves off into the forest to hunt.

Survival check to scare up some food: [roll0]

((Technically Jallorn fell in the hole with Gheldar and Nerkas, but it's cool))

GalaGalaxia
2009-12-07, 12:25 PM
Gheldar

Gheldar moves to examine the sword.

Toliudar
2009-12-07, 03:17 PM
Amber

This would come as soon as Jallorn started to leave, so he'd hear.

Amber glances around at her colleagues, who are getting distracted by thoughts of food and money.

"Hello? What are guys doing? Don't we have to, you know, save the world?"

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-07, 03:23 PM
The sword is a Bastard Sword, the handle and and scabbard are rich oak, engrained with gold. A symbol of the sun is engraved into the hilt on both sides.

It glows slightly as Gheldar approaches.

GalaGalaxia
2009-12-07, 06:11 PM
Gheldar

"Amber ... Saving the world is not as easy as you make it sound. Without money and provisions, we will not make it far. I intend to take my share, for I have earned it. I also intend to use it to further the task at hand. If you do not wish to share in food, nurishment, money, or even rest when needed — that is up to you. The way to save the world is not with brash action. Rather, it comes with thoughtful care and methodical planning. I will rather move a step too slow than two in the wrong direction."

Toliudar
2009-12-07, 06:25 PM
Amber

Amber's voice comes down from above, slow and taunting.

"As easy as I make sound? Who said it was easy? I'm saying it's bloody difficult, and we should get at it. Provisions? I'm talking about a few hours. Money? What good will your money do in Elysium, shadow-boy?

"I tell you what, Gheldar. You can have my share of the money...IF we can leave now. Or do you have a better idea?"

GalaGalaxia
2009-12-07, 08:01 PM
Gheldar

"'Leave now'? My dear Amber — we already left! That is how we ended up in this hole! I am already on my way ... That way just happened to lead to this hole first. Now, why don't you ask that mirror where the drow woman came from. We need to know if we shall expect more of her kind or not. ... As far as the transportation goes — I know you can get us 'there' in a jiffy. But can you get us away from there equally fast if things are worse than we expect?"

Toliudar
2009-12-08, 11:53 AM
Amber

"I didn't ask the mirror that because it doesn't work that way. And yes, I can get us back to this world in a jiffy. And are you really expecting an ambush from a priestess of Lolth in Elysium, or are you just stalling because you don't want to go, but can't think of a good reason not to?"

GalaGalaxia
2009-12-08, 01:11 PM
Gheldar

"Just like being prepared, is all ..." Gheldar puts the chest in his pack and straps it to his back along with other gear he was carrying. He picks up the sword and silently offers it to the group. "No takers?" He looks around and then plants the sword at his side, hand still on the hilt. Then he turns to Amber. "Well, I'm ready whenever you are ... Let's make some heads roll!"

Toliudar
2009-12-08, 03:57 PM
There is a jingling sound as Amber pulls something out of her pack.
KB:
Amber is leaving instructions for the four fiends:
"Go back to the site of the explosion, and wait for us there. If anyone tries to harm you, you can teleport away from them until they leave the area, but don't counterattack. Don't talk to anyone you haven't already met. If the King or any of the others you saw with us today show up, tell them we've gone to try to find Pelor's home."

The four fiends grunt and vanish. Amber appears, in the gnome form she had appeared in when speaking with the King, and settles to the floor of the underground room. She picks up the shard, staring at it for a moment before slipping it into her slender backpack. She is holding up a forked silver rod, on a ring of other rods of various sizes, shapes and colours.

Amber then hums contentedly for 19 minutes, until Jallorn returns from his hunt.

"Right then. We'll be getting to the "entrance" layer to Elysium, and we'll have to ask for directions once we get there. Pops already kind of looks like an angel - should be no problem. Everyone ready to go? Hold hands."

Once everyone's ready, she casts Plane Shift.

Jallorn
2009-12-08, 04:57 PM
Jallorn returns dragging a killed and somewhat gnawed on deer. Dropping the deer, Jallorn shifts into human form, and says, "So, what'd you guys find? Help yourselves by the way," he adds, gesturing to the deer.

Toliudar
2009-12-08, 05:33 PM
Amber

Amber sighs.

Gheldan found a sword and a bunch of platinum. You saw the mirror."

She stares up at Jallorn, and down at the deer carcass. Waiting for him to eat it, presumably.

Jallorn
2009-12-08, 05:36 PM
"Nice, when are we going?"

Toliudar
2009-12-08, 05:39 PM
Amber

"Soon as you're done eating, I guess. If no one else objects."

Jallorn
2009-12-08, 05:49 PM
"I did eat."

Elistan
2009-12-08, 05:53 PM
Talon Nerkas

Nerkas gags slightly as Jallorn drops the carcass on the floor. He takes a shallow breath, then turns to Amber, "Very well, I believe we are ready. Let us go and see what comes about."

Toliudar
2009-12-09, 10:13 AM
Amber

Stepping back from the gnawed-on carcass, Amber raises gestures for the others to form a circle with their hands. Focusing her energies on planar travel, and with fond memories of a very long chess match with a certain Ursinal who traded information and travel tips for material-plane honey, she transports the group to Elysium.

Let's make that Greater Plane Shift, to get to the putatively safe and friendly entry point that she reached the last time she came here.

GalaGalaxia
2009-12-09, 02:26 PM
Gheldar

"Ugh! Dizzy again ..." He looks around. "Now, here is a place I have not visited for a long time!"

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-09, 02:49 PM
As the dark night warps, pale light erupts around you. As you look around you are standing in what is essentially a meadow. Grassy fields all around, a single oak tree with golden leaves is to your right, and a road runs along beside you. Those with sharp eyes ((minimum +10 Spot Mod)) can see a wooden walled village about a mile away along the road.

The temperature is extremely pleasant, bright sunlight with a few thin white clouds moving slowly. There is a slight warm breeze.

A trio of winged creatures fly overhead, one of which is humanoid.

Toliudar
2009-12-09, 02:59 PM
Amber

Amber looks around, squinting in the daylight.

"Ah. Right. Well, at least there's still sun here."

She breathes deeply, enjoying the simplicity and cheerfulness of the surroundings. Glancing at the road, she grimaces.

"Ah. Yes. Walking. It's been a while. Mind if I take a few minutes to bring up a ride?"

Not really waiting for an answer, she begins chanting.

Casting Phantom Steed.

GalaGalaxia
2009-12-09, 03:34 PM
Gheldar

Gheldar puts on his sundark goggles. "Hey, I might even get a tan!" he jokingly remarks. "Well, there is a village ahead ..." He points in its direction. "Perhaps we should start there? It would be nice to know exactly where on this plane we are ... unless you know, Amber?" He looks up to see the creatures flying overhead. "Ahoy!" he shouts.

Due to tongues they should be able to understand Gheldar, assuming they can hear him ...
Also, just in case: Knowledge (the planes) to know where in Elysium we are: [roll0]

After looking around for a bit, a smile comes across Gheldar's face. "At least I know you took us to the right place, Amber" he says with a friendly nudge. "Amoria! That means Pelor's palace is around here somewhere."

Jallorn
2009-12-09, 04:20 PM
"Well then, we should probably head that way, no?"

Elistan
2009-12-09, 07:21 PM
Talon Nerkas

Nerkas grins as the sun shines on his face. He glances about the beautiful meadow, and at the village in the distance. As the others speak, he flutters up into the air, turning in a slow circle. He glances up at the beings flying above, and is just preparing to shout out to them, when Gheldar does, and he quickly shuts his mouth.

He drifts back to the ground and speaks quietly, "Is it not grand to feel the warmth of the sun on your skin? But, unfortunately, we have little time to enjoy this small pleasure. We must travel onward. Gheldar, it seems that perhaps you know where the palace is located?"

Toliudar
2009-12-10, 11:21 AM
Amber

After a few minutes, Amber completes her spell, and a horse-like shape that seems to be composed entirely of white smoke appears. Amber somehow grabs onto the smoke and pulls herself onto the creature's back.

"We're in Amoria, at a kind of...cosmic vestibule, I guess. That town is Aethlyn. Sort of a gathering place for undead-haters of no specific faith.

"There was this one place I visited here that you'd like, Nerkas. No floors. A whole area, far as the eye can see, with just cloud platforms, angels and dead folks zipping around. Pretty good music, too, considering that, let's face it, the best bards end up somewhere else. After, I mean.

"If I recall correctly, Pelor's place is just over that ridge, a little past Aethlyn. You won't be able to see it until we're there - I guess if you're the sun god, you get to play with light all you want - but if we walk straight there, we should find it no problem.

"Last time I was here, a trio of avorals flew in to say hello and check me out. Those up there might be something similar. If we head towards Aethlyn, they might come down to say hi."

GalaGalaxia
2009-12-11, 07:19 PM
Gheldar

"I believe you are mistaken about Aethlyn, my dear Amber. Nevertheless, Pelor's palace is that way ..." He points in agreement in the direction Amber previously indicated. "Let us be off!"

Jallorn
2009-12-11, 07:29 PM
"Yeah, I'm cool with whatever. I've never actually been here, though I've read a lot about it, so it's all pretty new to me."

Toliudar
2009-12-13, 03:05 PM
Amber

Amber launches the steed into the air, the better to get a view of the area as they head over the ridge.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-15, 04:57 PM
There is nothing but fields for miles around, trees and occasional animals (all of them shiny and metallic of course) and that's it.

Your walk is uneventful, it's almost a novelty not having everything with teeth in a mile radius want you dead. When you reach the area where Pelor's palace should be, you find nothing but more fields (invisible and all). Though it's definitey the right place, the aura of Good is almost to thick to walk through.

GalaGalaxia
2009-12-17, 07:41 AM
Gheldar

"Well, this is ... strange!" He eyes his companions. "... Don't you think?" Gheldar examines the area in an attempt at finding some form of clue.

Spot, to find/notice anomalies: [roll0]
Search, to examine the ground: [roll1] *
Survival, to identify tracks, if found: [roll2] *

* If related to "arcanists", add +4; if related to undead (doubt it), add +2.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-17, 08:55 AM
Spot:
The air seems to bend every now and again, like you're looking through poorly made glass.

Search:
You see nothing unusual, except that a glint of gold catches your eye. If you go towards it it is a simple golden key, with Pelor's symbol engraved upon it.

GalaGalaxia
2009-12-18, 05:14 AM
Gheldar

"Whoa, the after effects of the plane shift are much worse this time than usual. The air is all ... bendy! I really need something to counteract the motion sickness that haunts me." Gheldar notices something on the ground. "Hmm! Shiny!" He picks something up and puts it in his pocket. "A key! A Pelorean key!"

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-19, 10:19 AM
Picking up the key seems to trigger something, because the slightly bendy air ripples and a circular golden walled city of stone begins to appear before you; The Fortress of the Sun. The walls stand 20t high, a guard post every 10ft along it, inside the tops of various buildings can be seen, many of them rumbling or otherwise broken. Smoke seems to be rising from within.

The main gate is slightly to your left, blasted and bent, but still intact. In front of it there is a wall of flame blocking the entrance. There is no other obvious way in.

Toliudar
2009-12-20, 12:35 AM
Amber

Amber spirals up and up, avoiding the main gate, to peer down on the remnants of the palace from above. She is in particular looking for remains - living or dead - of the many archons she had known to be resident here.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-20, 06:39 AM
Amber sees what looks like a city after a bombing run. Most of the buildings are mostly intact, but the roofs, roads, everything around is shattered and burning.

There are plenty of bodies around, all of them either undead or fiendish in nature. There are no dead Angelic beings in sight. ((You auto-succeed on a Know (Planes) check: The lack of angelic beings is because they were Outsiders who died on their home plane, they have already been reabsorbed by Elysium. The fiendish creatures died on an opposite plane to their own, Deific magic is most likely preventing them from being returned.))

Inside the main wall is a labyrinth of broken buildings which leads to a second defensive wall, though this one has been almost completely razed.

Toliudar
2009-12-20, 10:32 PM
Amber

Amber swoops back down to her colleagues.

"It's nasty - near total devastation. A veritable army of undead and fiends unleashed on the city. Seems like the defenders have already been absorbed back into the energy of the planes. We might learn something about who we face by looking at who they use as servants. Also, there's a second wall further in, also pretty much destroyed. My guess is that if we're going to find answers, it'll be in the heart of Pelor's realm.

"Um, Nerkas, any chance you can ferry the others over the wall? I suspect that my teleportation works just fine here, but I'd rather not take any chances if I don't have to."

GalaGalaxia
2009-12-21, 12:47 AM
Gheldar

"I can probably clear it with a good jump ..."

How about a long jump with the apex centered on the wall.
[roll0]

Gheldar has 65ft/×4 movement.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-21, 04:36 AM
Gheldar does indeed clear the wall, only to be blasted back by a flash of light that hits him like a cannon ball (though somewhat softer than it should be), rolling to land safely down back where he started.

((Gheldar is N/G right? Otherwise there will be other consequences.))

Elistan
2009-12-21, 12:52 PM
Talon Nerkas

Talon bows with a slight smile, "Of course, daughter Amber. But it appears that Gheldar has things well in hand," A chuckle escapes him as Gheldar is blown back from the wall.

He flutters up to the top of the wall, glancing around inside before tentatively attempting to cross into the palace.

Toliudar
2009-12-21, 03:37 PM
Amber

Amber suppresses a giggle.

"I wonder where all that firepower was when the actual enemies came to the gates. Maybe someone is minding the shop for Pelor. Which would be good news, since then that gives us someone to talk to."

Amber drifts over the wall again, giving it lots of leeway.

UMD to emulate Neutral Good, as necessary: [roll0]

GalaGalaxia
2009-12-25, 09:04 PM
Gheldar

Gheldar stands up and brushes the dust off his clothes. "Well, at least we know I can jump across that wall ... Not that I think I will attempt it again." Gheldar limps slightly.

Yes, Gheldar is NG.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-26, 05:11 AM
((Does UMD work that way? I thought the Emulate Alignment could only be used to activate items. Regardless of whether it would work or not, you failed to Emulate N/G.))

As Amber attempts to cross over the wall she is hit with a similar feeling of being punched in the stomach, though hers is accompanied with a brief flash of white light ((29 damage, no reductions)), before she is knocked down just as Gheldar was.

((Since you said you were giving the 20ft wall a lot of leeway I'll say you were 30ft up. Tumble can reduce falling damage as normal, your spells are unable to help you reduce it.))

Toliudar
2009-12-26, 11:56 AM
Amber

"Ouch."

Amber grunts, and summons another unicorn, which nuzzles her a few times, and the burns from the flare and fall fade. She turns to the others.

"Well, not the first time I've been thrown out of heaven. Who knew that dropping off an avoral drunk after three days in Sigil would be taken as anything other than a friendly act? Meantime...I got three or four more tricks up my sleeve that might bypass this wall, but forcing our way into Pelor's home when we're not welcome might not be the best strategy. What do you think?"

Unicorn should be able to cover the blast and the falling damage.

Jallorn
2009-12-26, 03:13 PM
"Perhaps we can find someone to aid us somewhere nearby." Jallorn looks around, trying to decide the best direction to head off in.

Knowledge (The Planes) check to determine where the nearest place is that is most likely to have someone who can help: [roll0]

"Maybe we should try Aethlyn, that way."

Toliudar
2009-12-31, 07:24 PM
Amber nods resignedly.

"I guess we don't have a lot of options. Hopefully, Aethlyn was able to defend itself from these fiendish invaders."

Amber directs her steed upwards, to provide an aerial advance warning of what the palisaded town might contain. She glances back and, when the others are ready to proceed, darts forward.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-03, 12:56 PM
Your journey back to Aethlyn is as uneventful as your journey from it.

Once you get there the town seems to be pristine, if there was any conflict there it doesn't show.

Toliudar
2010-01-03, 01:17 PM
Assuming the gates are open, Amber will wait for the others and then head in, looking for someone to ask about news of the invasion next door.

KB, would it be possible to get some details about what the place is like? Is it like a material-plane town/city, or inhabited by spirits/archons?

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-03, 01:34 PM
((The town is inhabited by mortal petitioners to Elsium, specifically those who dedicated themselves to the eradication of undead in life, but didn't have a tangible connection to Pelor when they did so (so not Clerics, Favoured Souls, Paladins etc). It looks like a normal town; brick buildings, paved roads, except everything has a weird pale golden glow.))

There are a few people around, but not many. They seem to be more "on alert" than you might expect, but they don't seem to be in battle mode.

Toliudar
2010-01-03, 01:57 PM
Thanks - that helps!

Approaching one of the petitioners, Amber ducks her head in respect.

"Scuse me. We're from the mortal realm, sent to investigate the disappearance of Pelor. What can you tell us about the invasion?"

Toliudar
2010-01-06, 09:34 PM
Amber appeals mentally to all of the gods: "Please, don't let this universe wink out on us! We'd miss it terribly."

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-07, 06:34 AM
A man with a pair of scimitars across his back, and a Celesial Panther at his heels is the one who answers you.

"Not much, the armies of the dark invaded, we fought them as best we could, but in the end the Solar Supreme ordered us out. And when he gives an order, you damn well follow it. So those of us that were left returned to Aethlyn, and now we just wait. We have someone trying to bend the fire out the way of the gate just in case, but so far they're not having much luck."

Toliudar
2010-01-07, 10:16 AM
Amber nods and smiles. A holy man who said damn at the gates of heaven - a rare and wondrous treasure indeed.

"Huh. 'Not much,' you say. Well, you showed great courage in facing down such hordes. A few more questions, if you'll indulge me.

"When did this invasion take place?

"Can you describe the, ah, army of the dark a bit more? Primarily demons or devils? Both working together? A scattered mass, or an organized army? Did you see any leaders? What were they like?

"What did you do with the mortal casualties of the battle?

"Did the protective ring of fire go up before the invasion? If so, how did the invaders get through it, and how did you get out safely? If it went up after the invasion, who might have put it up?

"Who has been trying to bend the fire away from the gate? Where might we find them?"

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-07, 12:37 PM
"We were ordered out just over a month ago so I believe, we'd been fighting for 6 months before that. Gotta love not getting tired any more.

The army was the biggest I've ever seen, flying monstrosities big enough to eclipse the Great Wood right down to Kobold skeletons. We was fighting the undead mostly, given that that's our speciality.

Can't say I knew of any mortals within.

The fire was put up by the Solar Supreme as a way of stopping the more eager combatants from getting back in. Obviously it blocks any straggling enemies from getting in either. Turns blue when one of them touches it.

He's some guy with a thing about fire, refused to leave until he figured it out. Don't think he realises most of his powers vanished when he died. Poor bugger."

He strokes the silver ear of his Panther Companion before speaking again.

"So who are you lot, and why are you interested anyway?"

Toliudar
2010-01-07, 02:43 PM
Amber's smile widens, and she places a hand theatrically to her chest.

"I am Amber Shilling, late of the Shilling Family Circus, early of everywhere else."

She turns and introduces each of her strangely silent colleagues.

"We were appointed by a king on one of the material worlds to investigate the disappearance of Pelor, which is leading to the disappearance of the sun on our world. It seems likely that the one we should really be pestering is this Solar Supreme person. But in the meantime, perhaps we should start with this fire-bugger - if you'll pardon the expression. Any idea where we'd find him? We're new in town."

Elistan
2010-01-12, 12:30 PM
Talon Nerkas

Nerkas bows to the man with the scimitars, "I am Nerkas, High Father of the Temple of the High Mountain, and Most Revered Talon of the Order of Crovas. It is my great pleasure to meet you, though I believe that the circumstances of our meeting could be better, no?

"But as the small one stated, we have little enough time. Do you think that you could direct us to this 'fire-bugger', perhaps?"

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-14, 09:16 AM
"He should be down by the gate still. Can't think he'd have anywhere else to go, not like he needs to take a leak anymore."

Toliudar
2010-01-18, 08:51 PM
Amber sighs.

"And if we wanted to try to contact the Solars - do you have any way to do that from here?"

Jallorn
2010-01-18, 09:42 PM
"It would take a being of great power to bring all those various fiends together, perhaps he is responsible for Pelor's dea-ssapearance. I can see several ways we could find out who it is.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-20, 03:40 PM
"Afraid not, they hunkered down inside. And indeed it would take significant power, so if you want to go in there be careful."

Toliudar
2010-01-20, 04:41 PM
Amber

Facing another block, Amber turns to Jallorn.

"Well, then. This might be a good time to hear those several ways. Failing that, I can probably get a message in to the solars hiding out in Pelor's Palace."

Jallorn
2010-01-20, 04:52 PM
"Someone here may know, probably one of the solars, or we could storm one of the lower planes. That would be pretty fun," Jallorn adds with a toothy grin.

Toliudar
2010-01-20, 05:13 PM
Amber tilts her head to one side. "Indeed, and it's the solars we're having some difficulty in locating. If we head back to the barrier, I might be able to conjure up an archon that could give advice, and perhaps pierce the barrier to announce our presence."

Jallorn
2010-01-20, 05:46 PM
Knowledge (The Planes): [roll0]
Knowledge (Religion): [roll1]
Both to identify anything about the flame.

Knowledge (History): [roll2]
To find any incidents of this flame in history in the hopes of discerning a bypass.

Elistan
2010-01-20, 09:36 PM
Talon Nerkas

Nerkas shakes his head slightly as Jallorn speaks, before speaking up himself, "I believe that Amber's plan may well be our best bet. Perhaps that should be our next attempt."

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-21, 03:07 AM
Jallorn: Beyond their tendency to liquefy undead, you can't recall anything particularly special about the flames, their basically just fire.

Toliudar
2010-01-21, 03:41 AM
...barring further discussion.

Amber trucks on back to the wall with the others. Once there, she uses Summon Monster VII to bring in a Lantern Archon. Assuming that it arrives properly, Amber gives it the following instructions:

"Hello. I'm...

She quickly introduces the group.

"We've been sent on a mission by Pelor's priesthood to find out what happened to Pelor. Solars have sealed off Pelor's palace. We just want a chance to talk with them, to share what we know and find out what happened here. I think that, as a celestial, you'll be able to pass through their barrier. Please go find an angel inside there, and deliver this message, and our humble request to speak with them - out here if necessary, but preferably inside. Thank you for your help."

Unless the avoral has any questions, she sends it on its way.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-21, 06:05 AM
((Archon or Avoral?))

Toliudar
2010-01-21, 01:27 PM
My bad. Avoral is what I'm summoning. I'd initially thought to bring in a lantern archon, but then realized that they're LG.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-23, 11:50 AM
The Avoral appears looking very annoyed.** It seems smpathetic to your aims however, so listens to your message and flies over the wall, passing through the air with a silver flash.

While you wait for it to return, you hear a voice. From around the wall walks a thin human-looking man, following a couple of feet behind him is what you can only assume is a Fire Elemental; it is almost humanoid, two foot tall and waddles behind him like a toddler finding it's feet. He seems fairly surprised to see you.

"Oh my, haven't seen you before. Have you come to help with unblocking the gate?"

**Celestial Speakers:
Apparently it was in the process of rearranging it's nest (it's home) when you summoned it away.