View Full Version : Arena Tournament, Round 72: Battle Janitor vs. Todd

ArenaManager
2009-10-09, 07:18 PM
Arena Tournament, Round 72: Battle Janitor vs. Todd

Map:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/Kyeudo/CloudArena.jpg

XP Award: 600 XP
GP Award: 600 GP

Hustlertwo-Battle Janitor (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=134373)
Mavian - Todd (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=31584)

All Combatants, please roll initiative and declare final purchases, if any

hustlertwo
2009-10-09, 07:28 PM
Init: [roll0]

No idea what to blow my wad on, so I guess I'll wait and see what, if anything, is bought by my foe.

Mavian
2009-10-09, 07:42 PM
I never buy anything for the most part. But I'll make you the same offer I made to my last opponent. How bout a straight up slug-fest? No hiding, no sneaking around, just a toe to toe beatdown.

@Edit, although looking at your sheet, I see I need to go grab a bludgeon of some sort, gimme a sec to find one.

Init: [roll0]

hustlertwo
2009-10-09, 08:01 PM
Normally, it's an offer I jump on. Even now I feel the temptation to do so. But last round was my first against someone using those maneuvers, and they're quite nasty. I don't know much about them, which makes me too wary to simply dash right in. Heck, I don't even know what your weapon is. I have no intention of skulking in the clouds the whole match, if that's your concern. But I'm not inclined to dash right into the fray either with a largely unknown unknown.

Oh, and I think I'll take a page from Kyeudo's book and buy a nice +1 Chain Shirt. It's most of my money, but still leaves me enough for the basic consumables of battle.

Mavian
2009-10-09, 08:16 PM
My weapon is just a really big axe with reach. Although I'll grab a goliath greathammer to go along with it.

Then spend the 5 minutes to switch my EWP from Poleaxe to Greathammer.

hustlertwo
2009-10-09, 08:25 PM
A feat you can switch mid-round? Interesting.

Mavian
2009-10-09, 08:34 PM
It's a class feature, I can switch any feat that is weapon specific. Ie. EWP

hustlertwo
2009-10-09, 09:24 PM
OK. Well, you're up. Although I think I'll also slip in an Alchemist's Fire to round out my buys.

Mavian
2009-10-09, 09:31 PM
Todd - Round 1

Starting in M25, wielding the Greathammer in both hands.
Swift: Enter Punishing Stance
Move Action: M25 to M21
Standard Action: Burn away the mist in M20, M19 with a blast of fire breath
Breath: [roll0]

End of Turn

Stats for Refs:

Hp: 32/32
Ac: 13
Pos: M21
Breath: 1 Round
Maneuvers: Charging Minotaur, Moment of Perfect Clarity, Sapphire Nightmare Blade,

hustlertwo
2009-10-09, 11:26 PM
B.J. Round 1

Start with my shield and a javelin in hand in N-2. Move to P-9, ready action to throw the javelin if my opponent comes within 30 feet and does not have concealment, or ends his turn within LoS (or with me having pinpointed his location, just in case) regardless of concealment.

Done.

Stats:

HP:20
AC: 22
Equipped: Javelin and shield

Trobby
2009-10-09, 11:48 PM
Refs:

I'm counting the use of fire breath as "battle", so Battle Janitor should automatically hear Todd. BJ, on the other hand, should make an MS check to avoid being heard. I'll roll it for him, as well as Todd's listen check. He's not moving at half speed, so the usual -5 penalty applies.

Move Silently: [roll0]

Listen: [roll1]

Future Refs take note: The Cloud Cover in squares M19 and M20 have been destroyed by fire.

Battle Janitor:

No LoS. You hear a sound like a roaring fire off to the East.

Todd:

No LoS.

Mavian
2009-10-10, 08:16 AM
Todd - Round 2

Double Move Action: M21 to M13

End of Turn

Stats:

Hp: 32/32
Pos: M23
Breath: Recharged
Maneuvers: Charging Minotaur, Moment of Perfect Clarity, Sapphire Nightmare Blade,

Trobby
2009-10-10, 10:06 AM
All Refs Monitoring This Match Take Note

This is what the arena currently looks like.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b244/Introbulus/Currentclouds.png

We now return you to your regularly scheduled LoS check. And it seems we need some spot checks here. If I understand the rules correctly, Battle Janitor is in plain sight for Todd, but needs to make a spot check to see him in turn.

Let's do that right now.

Todd's Hide(with -5 penalty): [roll0]
BJ's Spot: [roll1]

Also, Move Silently and Listen checks.

Todd's MS w/ Penalty: [roll2]
BJ's Listen: [roll3]

Todd:

At the end of your turn, you establish LoS with Battle Janitor. He's in square P9.

Battle Janitor:

No LoS, but you know that you hear someone moving in the clouds to the Northeast.

Incidentally, neither of you have your armor check penalties listed for the relevant skills in your character sheets. It makes no difference in this case, but it could have. That's 90% of the entire reason you get a misc. column under skill points. In the future, please mark down the penalties where appropriate.

Mavian
2009-10-10, 11:37 AM
What would you need my armor check penalty for? I never hide or move silently so its a moot point.

hustlertwo
2009-10-10, 12:09 PM
Yeah, they have set DCs for people who aren't moving silently, I think, so our armor mods won't matter. Given that he's in heavy armor, I guess he'd be either a 0 or -5, depending on how fast he was going (since it lists a DC of 5 for someone in medium armor going 10 feet per round, no idea if there's a more specific list or not). And then the modifiers for distance (none of the others apply here, I guess, since there's no features like walls or doors here), and then you either give general info, specific if it's a win by 10 or more, and exact locations if it's 20 over the DC. I'm not sure about any of this (I never am when it comes to LoS check stuff), but it's how I read the Listen rules. But I did add 'em in, to keep things simple.

B.J.

Move to Y-10, and ready an action to throw my javelin if LoS is established and my enemy is not in concealment, or I pinpoint his location.

Done.

Stats:

HP: 20
Equipped: Javelin and shield
Position: Y-10.

Mavian
2009-10-10, 12:34 PM
Hold up a sec, I think there is a problem here. According to the refs I had LoS to you. You should've had LoS to me since like I said, I never hide, but your movement makes it seems like you didn't.

hustlertwo
2009-10-10, 12:52 PM
Um, no. I didn't have LoS, just a general listen check result of in the clouds, northeast. I thought you could see five feet into the clouds, so I figured this meant you were further back in. If that's the case, there's no way you should be able to see me, though. Or maybe I misread the 5 feet thing with Obscuring Mist.

Mavian
2009-10-10, 01:02 PM
I'm in M13, which means you should've been able to see me. Something stange went on with the Reffing.

hustlertwo
2009-10-10, 02:02 PM
Eh, it's the clouds. I don't know how they work either. But OK, we'll go on the assumption I can see you, but in M-13 you'd still be in the clouds and thus have concealment. In any case, it triggers my ready action, and I throw a javelin at your face.

[roll0] (I think I'm still within the first range increment, if not knock 2 off.

[roll1]

Concealment miss chance, 17-20. [roll2]

hustlertwo
2009-10-10, 02:15 PM
Well, it's not much, but it's a start. I'm sorry, I do feel bad about denying you (and myself) the big knockdown brawl. But just as you would not willingly reduce the HP advantage you have, so too am I unwilling to give up the fact that I can move faster in one action than you can in two. I had been saying in another thread that move speed is a large portion of the battle in PvP, at least at our low levels. I suppose now we'll find out.

My next turn, redone:

I move south into the clouds, breaking LoS as I go past R-9. I draw my sling as I go, loaded with a normal bullet, stopping in W-9. I then fire it into M-13, with a -2 penalty for range and having to roll a 50% miss chance.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2] with a miss being 1.

Mavian
2009-10-10, 04:31 PM
The first one was a miss due to concealment. And actually, a ref should roll the total concealment one, because you have no idea if it hits or not.

hustlertwo
2009-10-10, 09:22 PM
The first one was a hit, 17-20 was the miss range. Second one was a miss, unless you're in your Punishing Stance (finally tracked down warblade info, an old preview section on Wizards website, you have some nasty stuff with the ability to make me flat-footed and deny me AoOs). But the ref can roll them if you'd prefer.

In any case, it's your turn.

Oh, and I was going to ask what Moment of Perfect Clarity was; I saw a Moment of Perfect Mind, and a Stance of Clarity, but that was it.

Mavian
2009-10-11, 03:57 PM
Ah, your bizarre dice rolling method had me confused, but I think I will roll them, since I'm supposed to anyway according to RAW.

For refs and me

First: [roll0] >20 misses
Second: [roll1] >50 misses.

And yeah, Clarity should be Mind. It's not likely to matter in this round anyway, since you don't throw anything that needs a will save.

Mike - Round 3

Five foot step to N14
Standard Action: Ready an action to move if BJ attacks.

End of Turn

Stats:

Hp: 15/32
Pos: N14
Maneuvers: Charging Minotaur, Moment of Perfect Mind, Sapphire Nightmare Blade,

hustlertwo
2009-10-11, 05:23 PM
I am quite aware that probability laws state that ultimately, there's no correlation between previous rolls and current ones. If I rolled three 20's, the odds of a fourth are still 5%, same as they were before. But I had a hunch from my other rolls that concealment one would come up low, and I've seen people do different fail ranges, so I played a hunch. Logic or no, I can't quell my superstitious side. I did see the post about defender rolls in the Waiting Room, so I guess that's the way we have to play it for all the ones that come up after these two, since they've already been rolled and I specifically avoided Murky-Eyes for my people because I do not intend to have to roll miss chances twice (I understand you want them done again because that can only benefit you, but I can't accept that, given that I was doing everything right by Arena precedent, and you would certainly not be pushing for rerolls if one or both had been a big whiff). Also, weird that never was noticed before. Speaking of, did they ever fix up the problem with Murky-Eyed that was mentioned? Logically it means the defender should roll twice, but strict RAW would mean that Murky-Eyed was the least damning of all the flaws, as it does nothing whatsoever.

Anyhow, my next turn:

Move action to reload sling with a normal bullet, ready action to fire if LoS is established or I pinpoint his location through other means.

Stats:

Equipped: loaded sling and shield
HP- 20
AC- 22

Mavian
2009-10-12, 12:37 PM
Kyeudo made a ruling on it in the waiting room.

Todd - Round 4

Standard Action: Ready an action to move if LoS is established or BJ attacks.

End of Turn

Stats:

hustlertwo
2009-10-12, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I saw, he said he didn't care whether attackers or defenders rolled the miss chances, and he also wasn't going to let a typo allow people to have a free feat. Good to have the ambiguity removed. You can roll the ones that may come after, though, since that is RAW.

My turn:

Move to X-16, ready action to attack if LoS is established or I pinpoint his location through other means.

Done. I guess I'll get LoS.

Stats:

Equipped: Sling and shield (loaded with normal bullet)
Position: X-16

Sallera
2009-10-12, 03:27 PM
Refs:Listen for Todd: [roll0]

Todd:No LoS.

BJ:No LoS.

Mavian
2009-10-13, 11:55 AM
Todd - Round 5

End of Turn

Stats:

hustlertwo
2009-10-13, 12:34 PM
B.J.

Hmmm...thought he'd stay aggressive, but even he could have gotten here by now, LoS got lost like two turns ago. No listen check results, so I guess he's moving silently after all, odds are against me not hearing anything twice in a row when he's in heavy armor.

Long story short...

Move action to re-holster my loaded sling, second move to head on over to V-24, drawing another javelin on the way.

Done.

Stats:

Position: V-24
Equipped: javelin and shield

Sallera
2009-10-13, 12:49 PM

Todd:You hear movement to the southeast.

hustlertwo
2009-10-14, 10:32 AM
Reminder for Mav to take his turn if he's around.

Mavian
2009-10-14, 01:23 PM
Todd - Round 6

End of Turn

Stats:

hustlertwo
2009-10-14, 01:33 PM
Move to L-24, same ready action as last turn.

Done.

Stats:
Equipped: javelin and shield
Position: L-24

Lubirio
2009-10-14, 02:00 PM
Refs:
Todd Listen: [roll0]

Battle Jan:
No LoS.

Todd:
You hear movement to your East.

Mavian
2009-10-15, 03:28 PM
Todd - Round 7

End of Turn

Stats:

hustlertwo
2009-10-16, 09:30 AM
Ref questions: Do I need to Hide in order to catch him flat-footed, or does it happen automatically since he can't see me? Also, can Alchemist's Fire burn away cloud cover? I'm assuming his breath can, since I heard him shooting it off on round 1 when he couldn't have been trying to attack me, don't know if AF works that way or not. Last, if I hit him with a ranged attack, do I get any kind of audible confirmation of this?

Turn: No Listen check info means he's still in M-13 or the surrounding area, says I. He didn't have move enough to get away with Move Silently, which he can't do effectively anyhow with like a -5 mod. Move action to stow my javelin, second move to pull my loaded sling. 5-foot step to M-23. Next turn, we start playing Battleship.

Done.

Stats:

Equipped: sling and shield
Position: M-23

Tanaric
2009-10-16, 10:16 AM
Hustler:If you have concealment (standing in a square with clouds, with no other clouds between your space and your opponent's) then you can hide, and if your hide check beats his spot check, he doesn't see you. Attacking him in this way does catch him flatfooted, unless he has uncanny dodge or the equivalent. If you don't hide, then all you gain from the clouds in this case is concealment.

The clouds seem to cause a lot of confusion, so... any questions on that? I probably could have explained it better.

hustlertwo
2009-10-16, 11:16 AM
Tan

Well, I'm at full concealment from hm, because I know there's almost certainly more than one square of cloud between us (if I'm reading the rules correctly). So he can't really see me, no matter what I do (again, as far as I know). It seems like this would grant flat-footed on any attack I do, since he can't see it coming due to not seeing me. If he beats my hide, he still won't see me, after all. Also, if I do this, does he get to know where the attack came from?

Tanaric
2009-10-16, 01:17 PM
Hustler:Ah, right. That's what I get for not reading. If you're playing battleship, then yeah, he'd be flatfooted. Refs also need to roll the total concealment check for that, since you don't get to know whether you missed because of concealment or because he just wasn't there.

As far as I know, D&D doesn't allow for the idea of directional attacks. If you hit him, he just would know that he got slapped by a sling stone, and that's it.

Mavian
2009-10-17, 12:30 PM
Todd - Round 8

End of Turn

Stats:

hustlertwo
2009-10-17, 01:41 PM
OK refs, it's time for Battleship. I'll need your help to play, of course, since you have to roll total concealment miss chances for me. We'll start with M-13, in case he hasn't moved at all since I last attacked him. A distinct possibility, given the lack of listen love. As far as I know, I'm going up against his flatfooted AC here, since he presumably isn't somewhere he can see me, or I'd be seeing him. Only a difference of 1, I think, but every little bit helps.

Standard: Fire sling at M-13
[roll0]
[roll1]

Move: Reload sling with normal bullet. Refs, go ahead and roll a miss chance for me while you do LoS.

Done. I'll go get LoS.

Stats:

HP: 20/20
Equipped: Loaded sling and shield

Lubirio
2009-10-17, 04:06 PM
Refs:
Todd it not in M13, so no miss chance roll. :smalltongue:

Todd:
No LoS.

BJ:
No LoS, you do not know if the bullet hit or not.

hustlertwo
2009-10-17, 04:27 PM
Lubirio

Really? Going by the earlier ruling, I did get to know if I had a hit, but if I missed I didn't get to know if I missed because of concealment, or him not being there.

Lubirio
2009-10-17, 04:42 PM
BJ:
Then you would know it's a miss. :smallwink:

hustlertwo
2009-10-17, 05:06 PM
If that's to me, I'm BJ, Mav is Todd.

Lubirio
2009-10-17, 05:10 PM
My bad... will change now. :smalleek:

hustlertwo
2009-10-17, 05:36 PM
No problem. Thanks for the prompt LoS.

Mavian
2009-10-19, 06:29 PM
Sorry bout the lateness, was my anniversary this weekend. I'll have something up in a bit.

Sorry, took longer than I had thought

Todd - Round X

Ready an Action to move if LoS is established or BJ attacks

End of Turn:

Stats:

hustlertwo
2009-10-21, 01:02 PM
BJ, Round whatever

I'll assume M-13 is a miss on the big Battleship board. We'll roll to see which one we attack next. Figuring he's probably within 5-foot step range of M-13, and probably still in the clouds too, he wouldn't have wanted to be out in the open in case I decided to do some hiding.

[roll0]

OK, 1 means we're targeting L-13.

Attack:

[roll1]
[roll2]

Move action to reload with a normal bullet. Refs, miss chance roll time, I guess. If I get his square, keep in mind I'm up against his Flat-footed AC, since he can't see me, and thus can't see the attack coming.

Done.

Stats:

Equipped: Sling and shield

Trobby
2009-10-21, 02:53 PM
Refs:

No concealment checks, because he missed again. I'm wondering why he doesn't just try firing in a straight line.

BJ:

No LoS. You miss.

Todd:

No LoS. However, you do see a bullet fly through the open space into L14 before disappearing into the clouds.

Mavian
2009-10-22, 09:10 PM
Todd - Round X+1

End of Turn:

Stats:

hustlertwo
2009-10-22, 09:29 PM
B.J., Round Blargh

Another miss up on the big board. Let's see where we're going next, shall we? [roll0] Edit: That would be N-14. Standard: Attack with sling [roll1] [roll2] Move: Reload sling w/ normal bullet. Ref notes that attacks are essentially from hidden, since the LoS results tell me there must be clouds in between us. So my attacks catch him flatfooted, and thus use that AC instead of his normal one. Going by prior rulings, I am informed if there's a hit, but if it's a miss, I don't get to know whether it is due to the spot being empty or because the concealment miss chance was against me. Apparently if he gets hit, he does not get to know where it came from, or so I was told.

Done, getting LoS.

Stats:

Sallera
2009-10-22, 09:56 PM
Refs:Concealment:[roll0] - 1 hits

BJ:No LoS, no hit.

Todd:A sling stone bounces off your armour. I believe this triggers your readied action, if you wish to take it.

Mavian
2009-10-23, 01:29 AM
Todd - Round X+2

He can't be in the clouds, because I would've seen him, so that means he has to be just hoping to get lucky. If he is firing blind, I just got lucky and maybe he won't shot here again, so lets run him low on ammo.

Not taking my readied action, and readying another.

End of Turn:

Stats:

hustlertwo
2009-10-23, 05:41 AM
A 10 means I might have missed that solely on low attack. Or I missed because of concealment. Or I missed because he simply isn't there. This game of Battleship sucks.

Usual, attack: [roll0]
[roll1]

Then move to reload sling with a normal bullet.
Looks like we're firing a straight line shot to N-13.[roll2]

Ref notes: Catch him flatfooted, get notice if there's a hit, don't get to know why I miss. Sigh.

Stats:

Mavian
2009-10-24, 05:21 PM
Todd - Round X+3

End of Turn:

Stats:

hustlertwo
2009-10-24, 05:39 PM
I guess we can keep going; I asked for LoS a couple days ago (repeatedly), but there seems to be a dearth of working refs right now.

I guess we'll go somewhere different, then, in the absence of any hit confirmation. Let's try...I dunno, L-14.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Then reload and end turn.

Stats:

Position: M-23. All else same as it was before.

Mavian
2009-10-24, 06:28 PM
Oh, I just didn't wanna push the DQ limit, so we'll just ignore these last two post until we get one.

Sallera
2009-10-24, 06:35 PM

hustlertwo
2009-10-24, 06:36 PM
No, for once you were OK on that front. You can try to get one if you want, might have better luck than me.

hustlertwo
2009-10-25, 03:14 PM
Wow, sneaky LoS. Right as I posted. Mav, you're up.

Mavian
2009-10-25, 04:57 PM
I used my super secret High Ref summoning signal.

Todd - Round X+4

End of Turn:

Stats:

Sallera
2009-10-25, 05:07 PM

hustlertwo
2009-10-25, 06:07 PM
Round XL

Battleship is boring. Target N-14, I guess, [roll0] [roll1], then reload. Add 2 to the damage, got confused as to who I was playing, strength mod here is +6.

Stats:

Sallera
2009-10-25, 06:27 PM
Todd:Sling stone hits you for 8 (A:13), pending concealment: [roll0] - low misses

BJ:Hit.

hustlertwo
2009-10-25, 06:34 PM
Refs

With a 13? Flatfooted would only account for 1 AC, so he must have that stance on, the one that upped damage and lowered armor by 2. Well, the rest of my turn remains unchanged, I'll just leave the sling reload as my move action. I will 5 foot step back to M-24, though.

Mavian
2009-10-27, 12:54 PM
Todd - Round X+5

5-foot step to N15

Ready an Action to move if LoS is established

End of Turn:

Stats:

Hp: 7/32

Sallera
2009-10-27, 01:21 PM
Refs:Listen for BJ: [roll0]

BJ:You hear movement from N15.

hustlertwo
2009-10-27, 01:29 PM
Round Like, a Bunch

I had a feeling he'd go stomping around after I finally got a hit. Kinda surprised I got a pinpoint, but I won't complain.

5-foot step to M-23, Fire sling at N-15, then reload.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Balls. Don't bother with the concealment roll on that one, I guess.

Done.

Stats:

Sallera
2009-10-27, 01:35 PM
Clarification:

BJ:Aren't you already in M23?

hustlertwo
2009-10-27, 02:03 PM
Sallera

After I got hit confirmation last time I hopped back to M-24 in case he pinpointed me, but my stat block didn't reflect this.

Sallera
2009-10-27, 02:35 PM

Todd:Another sling stone misses you, and you hear movement to the east.

Mavian
2009-10-28, 05:51 PM
Todd - Round X+6

5-foot step to M15

End of Turn:

Stats:

Pos: M15

Psionic Dog
2009-10-28, 08:11 PM
Refs
[roll0]
Tod doesn't MS, say... take 5 +1mod +4 distance = DC 10

Battle Janitor
No LoS.
You hear movement west-ish of yourself.

Tod
No LoS

hustlertwo
2009-10-28, 09:18 PM
Round Whatsit

Crap. Had a chance to finish this charade and it slipped through my fingers. How many bullets have I used now, 10? I don't remember if I had 30 or 40 regulars going in, hoping I won't have to stoop to using the masterworks given the low chance of success between Battleship, concealment, and plain old bad rolling. Ought to be enough, but with Mav dragging this match out both in game and out, it'll be a while. Not much info, so I'm assuming it's another 5-foot (if only because if it wasn't, I'm boned on finding him). Dice roll time!

[roll0] OK, we'll try O-15.

[roll1]

[roll2]

Reload sling.

Stats:

Mavian
2009-10-29, 07:39 PM
Todd - Round X+7

End of Turn:

Stats:

Sallera
2009-10-29, 08:26 PM

hustlertwo
2009-10-29, 09:48 PM
Up to you if you want the match to keep going, Mav. I've got ammo enough to take this into severe extra innings, and I can't imagine you'll survive more than two more hits. I would like to fight hand to hand, but I don't trust your maneuvers, not to mention the possibility of a crit from that big hammer. Whereas staying out here makes my win pretty much assured.

Ref question:
Can I take AoOs with an improvised melee weapon?

Round Whozzere?

Rolling on the river...noticed his last confirmed spot was out of the clouds. I think he wants me to see him, though I don't know why, concealment's his best friend if he's going to try and wait out the ****storm. In any case: [roll0] [roll1] [roll2] then reload as usual. Looks like it'll be O-16.

Stats:

HP-20
AC-22

Mavian
2009-10-29, 10:32 PM
Your the one who ran away, I'm perfectly content to just wait out the storm. You've got something like 90 possible squares I can be in, do you really have enough ammo to hit all of them?

Todd - Round X+8

End of Turn:

Stats:

hustlertwo
2009-10-29, 10:49 PM
Just thought I'd ask. But please, 90 squares? I'm not playing real Battleship here. Between your minimal move stat and your heavy armor's large check penalty, I know your vague location. If you move, you simply raise the possibility of me finding your exact one through Listen pinpoints (I'll throw you a freebie and tell you it's already happened once). If you don't, then eventually I'll tag you and bring this one step closer to the end. I could run out of bullets first, but it seems unlikely, even with all the things against me.

We'll try due west rolls this time, perhaps I got more info on that last check than I thought. Zzzzzz. [roll0] 1 for M-14, 2 for M-15, 3 for M-16. [roll1] [roll2] then reload.

Stats:

HP 20
AC 22

Sallera
2009-10-29, 10:59 PM

Todd:Yet another shot bounces harmlessly off. Or just misses due to concealment. Doesn't much matter one way or the other, I suppose.

Mavian
2009-10-30, 12:27 AM
Todd - Round X+9

End of Turn:

Stats:

hustlertwo
2009-10-30, 12:07 PM
I'm really looking forward to going back after the fight is over and trying to figure out how many bullets I used. I may just say I used 'em all and buy more, not like they cost much.

I need to get some actual rolls so I can start eliminating possible spots.

Same parameters, I guess: [roll0] 1 for M-14, 2 for M-15, 3 for M-16 [roll1] [roll2] then reload.

Ref question:

Is there a way to fire a non-direct shot that just hit anything in a square it passes through? Logically it seems like it would work, which is why I assume it won't here. If so, doesn't fix all my problems, but at least it would cut down on the time somewhat, and force him to be more mobile and thus give his spot away. Also, I asked this before but I think it got missed: can I take AoOs with an improvised melee weapon? I may just move out and try to do this face to face if it goes much longer. I've got an effective HP total of 29, and unless he finishes me in the first hit, I'm fairly sure to take him out as soon as I have a melee attack, given his low AC. If he stays in that stance, I could roll a 4 and make contact.

Done.

Stats:

HP 20
AC 22

Sallera
2009-10-30, 12:13 PM
Refs:Figure I should toss some of these in.

BJ:No LoS. I can't seem to find any reason why you wouldn't be able to make AoOs with an improvised weapon, so that should be fine. And no, you can't hit every square in a line, convenient as that might be. :smalltongue:

hustlertwo
2009-10-30, 12:26 PM
Why am I not surprised that the critical shot with max damage would end up not being a hit? My luck in the last few rounds seems to have been waning.

Mavian
2009-10-30, 12:46 PM
Ouch, wasted 20s are just disheartening.

Todd - Round X+Y

End of Turn:

Stats:

hustlertwo
2009-10-30, 12:57 PM
I knew one was coming, after rolls of 1 and 4 and the like. Didn't expect max rolls on all three dice, though.

[roll0] 1 being M-14, 2 being M-15. I guess M-16 is off the list, at least for now. If I come up with nothing, I'll probably go through the row again to make sure I didn't crap out on concealment. To the extent that one can be sure with this messed up game of Battleship. [roll1] [roll2] then reload as always.

Done.

Stats:

HP 20
AC 22
Equipped sling and shield

Sallera
2009-10-30, 12:58 PM
Refs:And now that I've started...

Mavian
2009-10-31, 05:21 AM
Todd - Round X+Y+1

End of Turn:

Stats:

hustlertwo
2009-10-31, 04:02 PM
OK, let's keep going. Another round or two and I'll do an official count of the ammo to make sure I have enough to keep this strategy viable.

[roll0] 1 for M-14, 2 for M-15. [roll1] [roll2] then reload.

Done.

Stats:

Equipped: shield and sling
HP 20
AC 22

Tanaric
2009-10-31, 04:26 PM
Refs:[roll0] Low misses.

Todd:A sling stone whizzes into your square, missing you. No LoS.

Mavian
2009-10-31, 08:56 PM
Todd - Round X+Y+2

End of Turn:

Stats:

hustlertwo
2009-10-31, 09:05 PM
I guess that leaves M-14, then, before I go through the row again.
[roll0] [roll1] then reload.

Done.

Stats: HP 20 AC 22 Position M-23 Equipped sling and shield

Mavian
2009-10-31, 09:29 PM
I'm going to take a wild guess, and assume that there is no LoS,

Todd - Round X+Y+3

End of Turn:

Stats:

hustlertwo
2009-10-31, 10:23 PM
Madness! You make wild predictions with no logical basis!

But yeah, no. You didn't spontaneously decide to walk out into the open and embrace the horror, and I did not decide to trade a long and boring eventual win for a shorter and more interesting potential loss.

hustlertwo
2009-10-31, 10:25 PM
I'll go too, then.

If M-14 is a hit, assume this goes there instead. If not, make it [roll0] with 1 for M-15, 2 for M-16. [roll1] [roll2] then reload.

Stats:

Same old. HP 20 AC 22 Position M-23

Mavian
2009-11-02, 08:43 AM
Waiting on LoS since you've most likely fired of a couple of attacks

Sallera
2009-11-02, 10:30 AM
Refs:Stuff goes here.

Todd:Another attack misses you, concealment-based or otherwise.

hustlertwo
2009-11-02, 11:35 AM
OK, these piss-poor rolls are making it tough to eliminate possible squares. M-15 again, reload after as always. [roll0] [roll1] I'm probably not going to have enough bullets to do the same thing with row N (fairly sure O isn't likely, given the last listen check results). I'll take a couple more shots in the dark, but after that it'll be time to actually make eye contact. The chance at death is almost worth it to not have 50% concealment misses added to everything else.

Lubirio
2009-11-02, 11:39 AM
BJ:
Note that even if you have eye contact, you'd both have 50% concealment if you're still in the clouds. :smallwink:

hustlertwo
2009-11-02, 12:16 PM
Lubirio

Actually, if he's in the clouds and we see each other it's a 20% miss chance, unless he's hiding, which I doubt. A substantial improvement on the situation. Of course, if he's more than five feet in, I won't see him and he won't see me, and if that's the case I've not only been knocking on the wrong door for like ten rounds, but I'm just going to have to play the waiting game, because I'm definitely not going in after him.

What's the deal if we were both on the edge of the clouds and saw each other? Presumably it'd still be 20%, right? Obviously we can see each other so it's not 50%, and I don't think the penalties stack...but I'm less than certain.

Lubirio
2009-11-02, 01:16 PM
BJ:
If you're both in clouds and you beat eachother's hide checks, you can see one another, but there's 50% miss chance. I think that if you're both on the edge of clouds, across a clearing for example, I think there's be at least 20%, and maybe even 50%, definitely 50% if you can't see eachother.

Granted that if you move out into a clearing and you can see him, meaning he'd be at the edge of clouds or even in the clearing as well, there's be no more than 20% miss chance.

Sallera
2009-11-02, 01:22 PM
BJ/Lubirio:Just to make sure this is all clear... it's 20% miss chance if there are no squares of cloud between you. So if you're next to each other in the clouds, or on opposite sides of a gap, both on the edges of the clouds, then 20%. It's only 50% if there's at least one square of cloud between you, i.e. you can't see each other at all.

Lubirio
2009-11-02, 01:29 PM
Refs/BJ:
Then my match with Deathbringer against Oro is wrong, we were clearly standing right next to eachother, it was clearly asked several times if there was 20% or 50% concealment and every time the answer was 50%. :smallannoyed:

But I guess what's done is done, just something to keep in mind for the future...

hustlertwo
2009-11-02, 01:32 PM
Refs/BJ:
Then my match with Deathbringer against Oro is wrong, we were clearly standing right next to eachother, it was clearly asked several times if there was 20% or 50% concealment and every time the answer was 50%. :smallannoyed:

But I guess what's done is done, just something to keep in mind for the future...

Well, weren't you guys hiding from each other? That might have been the difference; Mav and me have not been attempting to hide from each other with the actual Hide skill, just by having clouds in between us. Although I think you did roll one concealment check as 50 that should have just been 20, but I remember that you made it, so it wasn't a problem.

Oh, and while y'all are already in here, LoS if you don't mind. If you aren't around anymore, no big deal, we'll get it in a couple rounds. Odds of either of us actually going anywhere are minimal.

Lubirio
2009-11-02, 01:35 PM
Refs:
It would it if not for miss chance: [roll0] Miss on 1
And it hits!

LoS:

Todd:
No change.

BJ:
No LoS. I forgot the ruling about the fact that you know/do not know if it hits, could you refresh my memory?

Sallera
2009-11-02, 01:40 PM
Not that it was like to make a difference, I'm sure, but it was Todd's turn, not BJ's.

Lubirio
2009-11-02, 01:43 PM
Now that you mention it, it is Todd's turn...

hustlertwo
2009-11-02, 01:44 PM
Oh yeah, too used to going after LoS. Y'all can work that however you want, then.

Mavian
2009-11-03, 10:30 AM
That was a whole lot of ref talk, anything interesting happen?

Todd - Round X+Y+3

End of Turn:

Stats:

hustlertwo
2009-11-03, 12:41 PM
Not really. Probably didn't even need to be spoiled after like the first post, was a discussion about concealment that got sidetracked into talking about a finished match Lubirio had on this map for round 66. He thought it was a 50% miss chance even if you and I could see each other if one of us was in the clouds.

Oh, and refs, just use my out of order turn, unless I got new spot/listen info that might change it (ha ha).

Mavian
2009-11-05, 10:49 AM
So you've taken your turn already?

hustlertwo
2009-11-05, 11:31 AM
Yeah, I took a turn after the last LoS, but it wasn't my go. I'll just leave it there unless we end up rewinding due to LoS info (fat chance). So you can go.

Sallera
2009-11-05, 11:36 AM
Refs:Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Just like this whole match.

Todd:A rock (A:14, D:8) hits you again.

BJ:Hit.

There we go. Continue.

hustlertwo
2009-11-05, 11:46 AM
Boosh! One more and he should be history. At this point, if he takes off, I'm just going after him. I could probably kill him with a shield bash if I have to, which means I can still have a ranged weapon in my hand.

Mavian
2009-11-06, 05:32 PM
That should take me down to -1

hustlertwo
2009-11-06, 06:02 PM
Didn't quite make the one month anniversary. Can't say it was a fun match, but good game nonetheless.

Mavian
2009-11-06, 06:36 PM
Yeah, you stayed on the west side of the map? I thought I got a listen check saying you were to the east, but I'd taken out a hole in the clouds on that side, so I thought we'd have gotten LoS if you were over there.

hustlertwo
2009-11-06, 08:46 PM
Nothing got mentioned about it in the LoS, so I dunno.

Sallera
2009-11-06, 11:35 PM
...so, yes. Mentioning those suspicions earlier might have helped, but eh, it's not my loss. :smalltongue: Ah well, that's what you get for being creative and assaulting the map. So, let's see... rewind to the middle of BJ's turn in round 6. BJ moves to L24, LoS established with Todd in N14, and Todd's readied action triggers.

Tanaric
2009-11-06, 11:41 PM
Looks like you get your one month anniversary after all. Joy!

No, this message contains nothing of worth. At all. No, I'm not sorry, either. Play on.

Edit: Whoops, didn't know that was going onto a new page. See last page for rewind status brought to you by Sallera.

hustlertwo
2009-11-07, 02:33 AM
Wow. Sucks for round 72, then. Waiting on Mav to do his readied, while I wonder how this never came up before.

Mavian
2009-11-07, 05:53 PM
I didn't have the suspicion until know, I mean, the last time I got anything on a LoS check was back in round 6.

But I don't really want to spend the time to go back and figure it all out. Just give hustler the win.

Tanaric
2009-11-07, 06:02 PM
Just to be clear, that's an official concession?

hustlertwo
2009-11-07, 06:14 PM
Really, Mav? I moved around some since then, I guess your Listen checks rolled low. Admittedly, they were just 5 foot steps, but I didn't try to do them quiet or anything.

As for the cloud thing, probably the kind of thing you should keep in your stat block, but at the same time, isn't really your place to keep up with that, refs are theoretically supposed to check for such things when giving LoS. No one take offense, though; I say that having just screwed up a LoS check for round 59 in a similar fashion; I assumed the fellow attacking with his horse was actually riding it. Not so. Boring as it is to go through the whole thread, it can keep things from getting too far gone.

Mavian
2009-11-07, 07:15 PM
I went back through to make sure, and last time I got anything from a LoS check, aside from being hit, was in round 6.

Yeah, I just have no interest in redoing this match, so consider it an official concession.

hustlertwo
2009-11-07, 09:04 PM
I must have been fairly lucky, then. After all, I'm not much quieter than you, thanks to my Bladeproof Skin.

Scorer
2009-11-07, 09:34 PM
Took me a while but

High Ref Scorer

Battle Janitor (Hustlertwo) gets the win and the loot!