PDA

View Full Version : Things you've jokingly tried to get away with

oxinabox
2009-10-10, 08:06 AM
This thread is about things in games wich you've as a joke tried to get away with, in a game.
wether you got away with it (unintentionally or not).

two examples from me:
Me: "If I quicken a spell that lets me make a full attack, as well as casting it normally (as a full round action), can i make two full attacks per turn?"
random DM walking past: "Ha ha good one, you can't quicken fullround action spells."
my DM: " actually, I look at the rules for quicken the other day, and you can quicken anyspells with action of 1 round or less. So yes"*
me, random dm: *Jaws drop,*
my DM: "Nice optimisation there."
me: *facepalm*

I'm actually think he read this wrong: it's not one round or less, it's one fullround or less. sutle differance there.

I really wasn't building for this at all, total accident.
by spell i actually meant spell like ability. It was actually a ELdritch blast, Eldrict glaive invocation, and the DM house rulesd the quicken spell-like ability, so I could apply it to all blast shapes/essances.

Example 2:
Me: "so my ability to improvise anything into a weapon, does that extend to "Tactical Weaponry?"
DM: "By tactical weaponry you mean what?"
Me: "Weapons that give me a tatical advatage."
DM: "such as a nuclear bomb would give me a tactial advantage, in that i could attack from the higher ground, and charge without those pesky buildings getting in the way"
:smallbiggrin::smallcool::smallbiggrin:

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-10, 08:34 AM
"I disbelieve reality."

He actually made us roll a "disbelieve" roll too, but nothing came of it.

boomwolf
2009-10-10, 08:53 AM
2 corridors, party decided to split.

I play a not-very-wise gnoll.

First thing to come into my mind: "I split up."

The DM actually gave me a 5 minute lecture why that is not possible.

DementedFellow
2009-10-10, 09:16 AM
This isn't something I've done, but rather a friend of mine.

She and her husband really enjoyed playing Call of Cthulhu set in the 1920s. She played a character called Katherine Elizabeth West. The Keeper played CoC a little more pulpy than perhaps he should, and Rule of Cool and Rule of Funny trumped any attempt at serious roleplaying. Katherine was responsible for keeping several disasters from happening, and her efforts did not go unnoticed. Nodens appeared before her and gave her an artifact that would allow her to summon Nightgaunts and on rare occassion call Nodens himself.

This wasn't particularly gamebreaking considering the style of play they had. And believe me, I've never had more fun than playing with them.

Some time later, they wanted to play a modern CoC game. Set in 1990, she played a character named Elizabeth Katherine West. The Keeper was giving some exposition at the start of the session and my friend started knocking on the table as if knocking at the door.

Keeper: "What's that?"
Jamie: "Someone's at the door."
Keeper: "Who is it?"
Jamie: (as Katherine) "Hello granddaughter! I thought you might need this Necklace of Nodens. Good bye!"
Keeper: "You can't do that?"
Jamie: "Why not? Katherine never died in our games. And Elizabeth is her granddaughter. It makes sense for her to want to protect her granddaughter."

The Keeper didn't know what to say about it. He ended up allowing it anyway. Rule of Cool and Rule of Funny is law in their games.

Violet Octopus
2009-10-10, 09:16 AM
Our party tried to open a fried chicken franchise exploiting the fact that chickens are only a cp each, where our cooking method was to attack the dead chickens with flaming nunchakus (yes, our party had a monk).

Not only did our DM let us, but we made a substantial profit, (something like 10x what Profession could have gotten us at that level).

Bob790
2009-10-10, 09:18 AM
Wizard: I can't identify this, I'm out of pearls
Ranger: I could use Summon Nature's Ally to get an oyster.
DM: You're in a cave, in a desert. I'm not letting you summon an oyster.
Cleric: I've got create water prepared.
Bard: I've been carrying this bucket around for no reason since the first quest.
DM: ... Fine go ahead.

(I admit I was the DM on that one. I let them do because it was original and inventive ... and the plot would need them to have identified the item fairly soon)

Starscream
2009-10-10, 09:32 AM

Sounds like a nice way to create infinite wealth.

I once actually got away with coating myself with Sovereign Glue, letting myself get swallowed by a dragon, and then going incorporeal (I was a ninja) and escaping, leaving the dragon with a mouth full of glue.

The dragon couldn't speak, bite, use his breath weapon, or cast any spells with verbal components. He quickly surrendered.

To be honest, the DM only let me get away with that because it was abundantly clear that we were going to trounce him anyway, and because it was a creative solution. I'm sure he could have found a RAW way to wiggle his way out of it if he hadn't been amused.

tyckspoon
2009-10-10, 09:36 AM
Sounds like a nice way to create infinite wealth.

Only if your GM isn't paying attention or being excessively generous (in which case you can just start up a quarry or iron mine with Wall spells and sell rights to it, it'll go faster); Summoned creatures and everything that was a part of them disappear when the Summon spell ends.

oxinabox
2009-10-10, 09:37 AM
Bard: I've been carrying this bucket around for no reason since the first quest.

Nice, just nice

Narmoth
2009-10-10, 11:04 AM

(I admit I was the DM on that one. I let them do because it was original and inventive ... and the plot would need them to have identified the item fairly soon)

except maybe one in a hundred would have a pearl...

Jokasti
2009-10-10, 11:13 AM
Still, infinite oysters.

Shpadoinkle
2009-10-10, 11:24 AM

That's creative enough and with the right mix of "it's prefectly logical" and "even if it's logical it's still stupid" that it should work.

Personaly, I'd have let them do it that time, give them 100 XP per level for a creative (and cooperative) solution, then tell the players that no matter how many oysters they summon, none of them will ever have a pearl again.

The point of the game is pretty much to be creative and cooperate with each other, but letting stuff like that happen all the time and work indefinitely is a slippery slope.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-10, 11:38 AM
I fully agree with that. Plus, carrying a random bucket for the odd occasion...it's perfect. I love crazy, kludged together plans that somehow, sorta make sense, and that one does. I woulda let them get away with it too.

Kylarra
2009-10-10, 11:39 AM
except maybe one in a hundred would have a pearl...Conveniently the first one did, and none of the subsequent ones.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-10, 11:45 AM
I'm going to try this in a game with my current 3.5 DM.

*somebody else does something stupid*
"I roll for attack."
"why?"
I don't say anything and roll a d20 and a d4.
"1d4 facepalm damage."

what can I say? that banner is hilarious.

Radar
2009-10-10, 12:06 PM
I'm going to try this in a game with my current 3.5 DM.

*somebody else does something stupid*
"I roll for attack."
"why?"
I don't say anything and roll a d20 and a d4.
"1d4 facepalm damage."

what can I say? that banner is hilarious.
Better yet, try to TWF a facepalm for a combo (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002550)! :smallcool:

gallagher
2009-10-10, 12:47 PM
ok, so we were broken up in a town trying to find information and supplies. our pally, fighter, cleric, and ranger went to the various places for info (fighting guild, churches, town officials, etc) and Me, a bard, went with our wiz and rogue to get supplies and find whatever else we can.

we start this little bit with me looking like, well, a bard. no need to disguise myself. the mage had some really fancy robes so he could pull off an imperial look, and our rogue had a sick disguise check.

Me: i cast glibness
(knock knock knock on a door)
Me: hello, we are the imperial tax collector squad. It seems that you owe a serious back tax, and require it immediately.
(repeat)

Me: i cast glibness
Pally: Where did you get all the funding to buy so many items!
Me: must have been a sale or something, or they didnt know the true value.
Pally: we must go back and pay their full value at once!
Me: Stores are all closed, and if we want to go and complete our mission we need to get out tonight under the cloak of darkness.
Pally: i guess that is true. you must remember the salesman who you bought these from and on our return we shall pay him his fair dues.

the paladin conveniently forgot to do this because he really enjoyed the success our party got thanks to a ring of blink, a few splitting and returning daggers from our rogue, and his new magic sword and armor cuz his was lost when we had to take it off of him thanks to a heat metal spell and when we werent looking it was stolen by one of the sub-bosses. we ended up facing that guy on the way to defeat some ultimate evil, with his constructs that looked similar and behaved similarly to all of us and each wore some things of ours that we had all had stolen from us.

and yes, it shouldnt have worked that well. but it was funny and we were greatly rewarded. it helped that we needed a little extra power because our second caster (who was our primary caster, our wizard took one level of ninja or rogue or something and because a spellwarp sniper to turn all his spells into rays, which gave him touch attacks, thus an extra d6 damage) left the party cuz he was having some home troubles, so our DM tried to even it out with a little extra gear