PDA

View Full Version : First-time GM

Dvil
2009-10-10, 11:17 AM
Okay, so I'm starting up an RPG group among a few friends, but I fear I'll end up GM by default. I'm often the organiser for our other games, and I've GMed the other rpgs we've played (literally 2). I may get the only other person organised/mature enough to GM and share a character with him so we can alternate GMing and bashing zombies. We will be playing Zombie Squad, which has a 7-page ruleset, which is designed to be an easy-to-play game with few rules to complicate things. Any particular advice?

Radar
2009-10-10, 12:13 PM
If you haven't do it yet, read this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76474). It's a very good and helpful read. :smallsmile:

Dvil
2009-10-10, 01:49 PM
Ah, thank you. I probably should have checked the stickied threads first:smallredface:

Evilfeeds
2009-10-10, 02:08 PM
From my own person experience, a few handy general GMing tips (not sure how useful these are for zombie squad, but anyway)

1) Dont be afraid to let the players wreck the story. If, for example, they're on a mission to save the world, and they royally screw up, then let the world be destroyed: put them in the position of apocalypse survivors, rather than heros. Players will generally appreciate the freedom of knowing that their actions actually mean something.

2) On that note, dont plan too much. You'll just regret it when everything goes to pot. Some planning is good: too much planning and you'll end up railroading.

3) Pre-generated lists of names are your friend.

4) Dont take away control of the players characters. Players should be involved, all the time.

5) By that token, try and give everyone something to do. If theres a rogue, put in a lock that only he can bypass. If he goes 3 or 4 adventures without using his skills, he'll begin to feel superfluous to the group.

6) Every player is different. Some players like being railroaded, some like doing back and nothing. Try and find what works for your group.

Dvil
2009-10-10, 02:37 PM
Ah, thanks for that, evilfeeds! Just one more question (for now): could you please expand on no. 3? Are these names of NPCs that may turn up later, or what?

oxybe
2009-10-10, 02:49 PM
well, i think he means that having a list of appropriate fantasy names could be a boon, otherwise your game ends up full of NPC Bobs, Bens, Bills, Barts...

Dvil
2009-10-10, 02:49 PM
Ah. I see. Well, no fear of that, as Zombie Squad is set on Earth, so..

Evilfeeds
2009-10-10, 03:02 PM
Yeah, what Oxybe said.

Even in an earth setting, names like "Eustace Pennyson" gives the pc instantly more flavour and depth than "Bob" for the 20th time.

Dvil
2009-10-10, 03:05 PM
Ah, yes, I see. I'm reasonably good with forenames, but I may have to come up with some names in advance, so I don't run out on the spot. Well, thanks for the advice!