PDA

View Full Version : Paypal: some possibly stupid questions about it

Berserk Monk
2009-10-10, 02:25 PM
What is it, how does it work, and how does one go about getting one?

LonelyTower
2009-10-10, 02:30 PM
You go to www.paypal.com and sign up for an account. Then you enter your credit card information and possibly bank account number. For your account to be verified (if you want to be a seller and receive payment), you need to go through the verification process. Paypal will debut a small amount of money from your credit card (I think) and then try to put it into your bank. When the bank gets the money you have to key in a special number which is part of the transaction.

Paypal is not an online bank. A lot of people are up in arms about the potential danger of having large amount of money in a Paypal account (are they even legal to take and invest the money?). There's no safety concerning the money. Money usually take some time to be sent to your real life bank account.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-11, 04:47 PM
You don't have to have a credit card to use paypal, I just have it straight to my bank account.

Lord Seth
2009-10-11, 04:52 PM
You go to paypal.com and set up an account. Simple enough. You can then add a credit card and/or bank account to the account, which of course is what's used to send or receive money. They do require verification, though. I haven't used it with a bank account yet, but with the credit card they charge a small amount of money (less than $2 I think) to it, then you check the credit card statement. The person it says it's charged to will have a number in it, which you then input in your paypal account to verify you're the owner of the credit card.

Oh, and just for the record, the next time you send money, the small deduction they made will be subtracted from that amount to balance things out. So, if you send $50, you'll only be charged $48 because they earlier charged you $2 for the test. (it's a little less than $2 but it illustrates my point anyway)

A major reason a lot of people use paypal is to be able to send money to someone via credit card without having to give them your credit card number. It's also how most payments on eBay are conducted.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-11, 10:32 PM
Okay, now I have a question.

I am trying to register for DDI, but the thing keeps on asking me for a credit card. There's enough money in there, why does it do that?

Lord Seth
2009-10-12, 01:23 AM
Okay, now I have a question.

I am trying to register for DDI, but the thing keeps on asking me for a credit card. There's enough money in there, why does it do that?Well firstly, it might help if you told us what DDI was. :smallsmile:

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-12, 01:51 AM
D&D Insider subscription.

LonelyTower
2009-10-12, 02:52 AM
Try logging into Paypal first, then purchase the DDI subscription.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-12, 03:23 AM
Nope, doesn't work.

I am wondering if they want credit card for security, but I have never come up with this with Paypal before. Must be Wizards doing.

LonelyTower
2009-10-12, 04:57 AM
It is possible that Wizards enabled Paypal only to take credit cards transactions. Is that on the Wizard of the Coast's site, or on Paypal's site? if it is on Paypal site, you can usually just ignore the CC fields and log in, but it might be possible that Wizards are only using Paypal to process the CC.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-12, 05:00 AM
Wizards directs me to paypal which asks for a credit card number, and there's no going around it.

And even if I am logged in to paypal, I have to log in AGAIN to pay for DDI.

It's as if they don't want my money :smallmad:

BizzaroStormy
2009-10-12, 07:11 AM
Wizards directs me to paypal which asks for a credit card number, and there's no going around it.

And even if I am logged in to paypal, I have to log in AGAIN to pay for DDI.

It's as if they don't want my money :smallmad:

No, they just want to e sure that it is you that is spending your money and not someone else. You'd be suprised how many angry leters they get from aren't daily who's children bought stuff with their credit card.

Myrmex
2009-10-12, 08:33 AM
It's free to use if you are making purchases, but they charge you a small amount if you use it to receive (thank you Firefox, for underlining recieving in red; i before e my ass) money.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-12, 03:59 PM
No answers? I don't have a credit card, so how can I enter it in?

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2009-10-12, 04:55 PM
It's free to use if you are making purchases, but they charge you a small amount if you use it to receive (thank you Firefox, for underlining recieving in red; i before e my ass) money.

Remember, it's "I before E except after C."

... I've been thinking of making a paypal account. Maybe next year.

Douglas
2009-10-12, 05:09 PM
Remember, it's "I before E except after C."

... I've been thinking of making a paypal account. Maybe next year.
I before e except after c, or when sounding like ay as in neighbor or weigh, and on weekends, and holidays, and all throughout May, and you'll always be wrong, no matter what you say! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_before_E_except_after_C#In_popular_culture)

Thajocoth
2009-10-12, 05:32 PM
I before e except after c, or when sounding like ay as in neighbor or weigh, and on weekends, and holidays, and all throughout May, and you'll always be wrong, no matter what you say! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_before_E_except_after_C#In_popular_culture)

I've always done "I before e except after c, or when sounding like ay as in neighbor or weigh or in all the other weird cases in which e comes before i." Because "weird" is one of those weird cases.

As for my thoughts on the Paypal Credit Card thingy for DDI... A Wizards did it.

You said you had a bank account though... Most bank accounts have debit cards and most debit cards can be used like credit cards... So if you don't have a credit card, you should be able to go that route.

I'd ask Wizards customer service though. "Hi, I'm trying to give you money, but your system is in my way" is sure to get top priority for response. Unless you say you're the prince of Nigeria...

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-13, 02:05 AM
I don't have a debit card, I have an ATM card.

Anyway, I have contacted wizards since you guys are such a big help :smallbiggrin:

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-13, 08:51 PM
Update: now they want me to ring them. I am seriously reconsidering now as I don't want to make an overseas call.

Pyrian
2009-10-13, 09:22 PM
Don't they have a toll-free number? Or does that not work overseas?

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-13, 09:30 PM
They have two numbers, one for Canada and US and the other for everyone else.

toasty
2009-10-13, 09:50 PM
They have two numbers, one for Canada and US and the other for everyone else.

Can you skype them? I remember my mom saying 1-800 numbers were skyable. She's skyped Dell from Bangladesh before.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-13, 11:07 PM
Don't have skype :smallannoyed:

Lord Seth
2009-10-14, 12:14 PM
I've always done "I before e except after c, or when sounding like ay as in neighbor or weigh or in all the other weird cases in which e comes before i." Because "weird" is one of those weird cases.You should say "or in other cases that's the height of weird" because height also qualifies.

Science also does, but the way it's pronounced (Sci-ence) makes it pretty clear that it's I-E even though it comes after a C.