PDA

View Full Version : Ways of Getting Fighter Feats...

KellKheraptis
2009-10-10, 05:32 PM
Other than taking levels of fighter, how can you get fighter feats? Specifically, Dragoon-esque ones, like Leap Attack, Shock Trooper, etc. I know heroism gets one, mirror move can get a bunch, with a favorable ruling, and the blank spot is weapon enchants that give feats.

Also, how can I get Swift Hunter appended to something other than Ranger levels on the ranger side? As in, if I take Foe Hunter to qualify using say, Eldritch Knight, is there a way to squeeze more than 13 levels of Skirmish out of that? The ultimate build is a swift hunter with dragoon capability, that also gets 9th level spells (using Ur-Priest, Prestige Paladin, Sword of the Arcane Order, and the nonevil adaptation of UP to roll it together).

AslanCross
2009-10-10, 05:35 PM
The Bloodstorm Blade Prc from Tome of Battle gets Bonus Fighter feats.
The Ordained Champion from Complete Champion has the option to sacrifice his domain granted powers for fighter feats as well.

As for the second question: not that I know of.

KellKheraptis
2009-10-10, 05:44 PM
The Bloodstorm Blade Prc from Tome of Battle gets Bonus Fighter feats.
The Ordained Champion from Complete Champion has the option to sacrifice his domain granted powers for fighter feats as well.

As for the second question: not that I know of.

Hmm...hadn't thought about using divine. What's the casting progression on OC? Though this character REALLY benefits from Travel Devotion, Knowledge Devotion, etc. Free move and free +to hit and damage is nice.

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-10, 05:47 PM
Hmm...hadn't thought about using divine. What's the casting progression on OC? Though this character REALLY benefits from Travel Devotion, Knowledge Devotion, etc. Free move and free +to hit and damage is nice.

3/5ths, 5 level class. Full BAB, really good class features.

Cedrass
2009-10-10, 05:47 PM
I remember a Ranger ACF that gained feats instead of spellcasting. Not sure if their are Fighter Feats though.

KellKheraptis
2009-10-10, 05:50 PM
3/5ths, 5 level class. Full BAB, really good class features.

Hey Sin, you might have seen this little thought exercise on BG. The problem is that Arcane Archer 2 and Scout 3 (minimum needed to abuse AA and still get Swift Hunter) requires 2 too many levels to go straight wizard.

Is there a way to get Imbue Arrow as a feat/item/spell? I.e. firing an AMF with an arrow?

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-10, 06:03 PM
Hey Sin, you might have seen this little thought exercise on BG. The problem is that Arcane Archer 2 and Scout 3 (minimum needed to abuse AA and still get Swift Hunter) requires 2 too many levels to go straight wizard.

Is there a way to get Imbue Arrow as a feat/item/spell? I.e. firing an AMF with an arrow?

The Mystic Ranger variant may be able to enter AA. The spell selection is pretty good.

Adapting AA to Divine casting, and using the PF variant (as much as I dislike PF in general) could also work if you go Cleric/Prestige Ranger (which also qualifies you for Swift Hunter).

I think it would go Scout 4/Cloistered Cleric 4 (Knowledge, Travel, Plant)/Prestige Ranger 5/Adapted PF AA 2/Reflavored Ordained Champion 5 (or P. Ranger 5).

If you want some Arcane spells in there, replace Cloistered Cleric with Archivist.

Edit: As for firing an AMF with an arrow without AA levels, a Legacy Bow can pull that off if you go Custom.

Fax Celestis
2009-10-10, 06:09 PM
You could go Ranger 4/Scout 3 and take the Sword of the Arcane Order (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Sword_of_the_Arcane_Order,CV) feat. Has the added benefit of stacking your Wizard levels with your Ranger levels to determine your casting.

KellKheraptis
2009-10-10, 06:18 PM
The Mystic Ranger variant may be able to enter AA. The spell selection is pretty good.

Adapting AA to Divine casting, and using the PF variant (as much as I dislike PF in general) could also work if you go Cleric/Prestige Ranger (which also qualifies you for Swift Hunter).

I think it would go Scout 4/Cloistered Cleric 4 (Knowledge, Travel, Plant)/Prestige Ranger 5/Adapted PF AA 2/Reflavored Ordained Champion 5 (or P. Ranger 5).

If you want some Arcane spells in there, replace Cloistered Cleric with Archivist.

Edit: As for firing an AMF with an arrow without AA levels, a Legacy Bow can pull that off if you go Custom.

Hmm...Mystic Ranger runs into the problem of either needing trickery to get 9th level spells or needing Sublime Chord. At least 6 levels are needed for 3rd level spells (and we need those feats for both AA and Dragoonery, so Sanctum Spell isn't really an option) to get into SC, and a level of Bard for the rest of the prereq's.

Is there a way to get Skirmish without scout levels, and still qualify for Swift Hunter? The +1 AC part is the only sticking part.

KellKheraptis
2009-10-10, 06:20 PM
You could go Ranger 4/Scout 3 and take the Sword of the Arcane Order (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Sword_of_the_Arcane_Order,CV) feat. Has the added benefit of stacking your Wizard levels with your Ranger levels to determine your casting.

I thought it was only CL. If it indeed does stack "casting" as in casting progression, problem solved. And in a very sick way, as MR is superior in every way to Wizard if it gets 9th level spells from the Sor/Wiz list.

Korivan
2009-10-10, 06:24 PM
You could always be a arcane caster and use the spell Heroics from Spell Compendium. If you manage to use permency, or gain a way to make them last indefinatly or near so, then you can pretty much ditch fighters entiraly. Though you might want to use a combination Enlarge/ironskin or something for defense/haste/tensers transformation with it all. Sure its quite a few spells, but properly equiped you'll make a fighter cry.

KellKheraptis
2009-10-10, 06:35 PM
You could always be a arcane caster and use the spell Heroics from Spell Compendium. If you manage to use permency, or gain a way to make them last indefinatly or near so, then you can pretty much ditch fighters entiraly. Though you might want to use a combination Enlarge/ironskin or something for defense/haste/tensers transformation with it all. Sure its quite a few spells, but properly equiped you'll make a fighter cry.

I'm trying to avoid that, as it still doesn't fulfill the swift hunter arcane archer dragoon goal. Besides, if I want arbitrary feats, I'll kick my familiar 10 feet away every round for a free feat per round instantaneously from DCFS.

KillianHawkeye
2009-10-10, 06:36 PM
If you also have levels in wizard, your wizard caster level is treated as the sum of your wizard, paladin, and ranger class levels.

(emphasis added)

:smallfrown:

Dixieboy
2009-10-10, 07:24 PM
I remember a Ranger ACF that gained feats instead of spellcasting. Not sure if their are Fighter Feats though.

Complete warrior I believe, and yes, it's fighter feats.

Fax Celestis
2009-10-10, 07:27 PM
Complete warrior I believe, and yes, it's fighter feats.

Complete Champion.

Dixieboy
2009-10-10, 07:40 PM
Complete Champion.

Close. :smallredface:

KellKheraptis
2009-10-11, 09:57 AM
Is that one of the variants that doesn't get spells? I.e. trade ranger spells for Fighter bonus feats?

sofawall
2009-10-11, 11:09 AM

I think it was mentioned.

Then it was quoted, enough times so that you have no excuse.

deuxhero
2009-10-11, 11:30 AM

How about an eternal wand?

Korivan
2009-10-11, 11:42 AM
I'm trying to avoid that, as it still doesn't fulfill the swift hunter arcane archer dragoon goal. Besides, if I want arbitrary feats, I'll kick my familiar 10 feet away every round for a free feat per round instantaneously from DCFS.

Whats DCFS?

And yes, eternal wands are nice. But its up to the DM to determine if the wands let you cast Heroics, or Heroics(insert feat name here). The latter a little more limited.

KellKheraptis
2009-10-11, 11:55 AM
Whats DCFS?

And yes, eternal wands are nice. But its up to the DM to determine if the wands let you cast Heroics, or Heroics(insert feat name here). The latter a little more limited.

Um, if it's of the requisite level and spell type, that is NOT DM fiat. Furthermore, DCFS=Dark Chaos Feat Shuffle.

Korivan
2009-10-11, 12:01 PM
Um, if it's of the requisite level and spell type, that is NOT DM fiat.

Everything is up to the DM sadly. Just depends on the DM.

The Glyphstone
2009-10-11, 12:32 PM
There's the Feat Rogue variant.

Thespianus
2009-10-11, 01:08 PM
Other than taking levels of fighter, how can you get fighter feats? Specifically, Dragoon-esque ones, like Leap Attack

Leap Attack isn't a "Fighter Feat", oddly enough. That is, you can't use a fighter bonus feat to take Leap Attack for some impressively odd reason.

It's a fine feat for a Fighter, though.

Another way to get Fighter Bonus Feats is to take a level of Wizard. There's a variant in UA, I believe, that gives you fighter feats instead of wizard feats at 1st, 5th, 10th , 15th and 20th level.

cru121
2009-10-11, 01:12 PM
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2546.0
section Bonus Feats - (selectable)