PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Tell me about your character

Kiero
2009-10-10, 07:09 PM
Simple as that, tell me about your D&D 4th edition characters, though I've got a number of questions to direct things a little.

What is your character concept?

By which I mean what was the idea behind them, and IC who/what are they about? I don't mean what's their race and class. What distinguishes them as a person? What lifts them above being a collection of the things written on your sheet?

What does your character look like, mechanically?

If you've got a Summary from the Character Builder, even better. As much detail as you feel like posting, in a quote block if possible to separate it out. As a side-question here, what level did you start at? Do you have any plans for next level? Was your character built with optimisation in mind?

What is the party your character is part of like?

As in a shorter form of the above, who are the other characters? What races/classes are they? Did you all generate characters together, or did everyone arrive with their own characters pretty much done?

What role does your character perform in the party?

And I don't simply mean what's their Role, I mean what do they do in and out of combat? How are you made to feel useful as a player? What situations do the other players look to you to solve?

What campaign setting do they exist in?

Tell us about the world in which this is taking place.

Indon
2009-10-10, 07:37 PM
I currently play a Juggernaut Demon from another plane of existence, part of an evil army dedicated to turning the plane to Hell On Earth, named Xavier. He towers at nearly eight feet tall, a creature with humanlike arms and massive, elephantine legs, and a thick, rough hide.

Xavier isn't the most quickwitted individual, unless food or violence is involved, but he's always willing to try out new experiences, as experiencing this strange and exotic plane is the reason he came to this new world.

The fellow demons traveling with him number two: One shadow-creature that had stolen the power of a foolish cleric and now serves as an acolyte for the hells themselves, and a more humanoid demon with command of arcane magics. The party demons are accompanied and guided on this plane by two Drow, a scoundrel interested in blood and reward, and a craven, power-seeking artificer.

Xavier stands tall and proud in combat, felling his enemies with his inborn demonic powers and shapeshifting. Out of combat, he is the most curious among his fellow demons, eager to learn of the world about him, particularly if it involves trying a new food. His curiousity has served him well, as he is the only member of the group versed in the angelic language of their most dire adversaries, and his growing knowledge of his new world allows him to help guide the party through treacherous travels.

-Anyway, Xavier is a level 11 Goliath Warden, obviously heavily reflavored, and Chaotic Evil. I made him at level 8, and own no 4E books so while I optimize from level-to-level, I do little planning ahead. Xavier exists in a custom campaign setting based off of the Civ 4 mod Fall from Heaven.

Aron Times
2009-10-10, 08:02 PM

My character is the latest incarnation of Argent Gish, mercenary wizard. The first version of Argent was a neutral evil human diviner in 3E, specifically, in a Neverwinter Nights server.

Argent joined the party at level 9 as a human shielding swordmage. We are now at level 11, and my DM gave me a free rebuild into warlord/wizard/battle captain.

Here is my character sheet:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Argent Gish, level 11
Human, Warlord, Battle Captain
Build: Tactical Warlord
Commanding Presence: Tactical Presence
Arcane Implement Proficiency: Arcane Implement Proficiency (heavy blade group)
Background: Arcane Mercenary (+2 to Diplomacy)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 19, Con 13, Dex 11, Int 21, Wis 9, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 8, Cha 12.

AC: 26 Fort: 23 Reflex: 24 Will: 20
HP: 75 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 19

TRAINED SKILLS
History +15, Intimidate +11, Endurance +10, Diplomacy +13, Athletics +13, Arcana +15

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +4, Bluff +6, Dungeoneering +4, Heal +4, Insight +4, Nature +4, Perception +4, Religion +10, Stealth +4, Streetwise +6, Thievery +4

FEATS
Human: Action Surge
Level 1: Arcane Initiate
Level 2: Arcane Implement Proficiency
Level 4: Novice Power
Level 6: Focused Expertise (Longsword)
Level 8: Acolyte Power
Level 10: Adept Power
Level 11: Combat Commander

POWERS
Arcane Initiate: Scorching Burst
Bonus At-Will Power: Commander's Strike
Warlord at-will 1: Wolf Pack Tactics
Warlord at-will 1: Viper's Strike
Warlord encounter 1: Warlord's Favor
Warlord daily 1: Lead the Attack
Warlord utility 2: Knight's Move
Warlord encounter 3: Steel Monsoon (retrained to Color Spray at Novice Power)
Warlord daily 5: Stand the Fallen
Warlord utility 6: Guileful Switch
Warlord encounter 7: Surprise Attack
Warlord daily 9: Disheartening Flurry (retrained to Wall of Fire at Adept Power)
Warlord utility 10: Rallying Deflection (retrained to Illusory Wall at Acolyte Power)

ITEMS
Cloak of Distortion +2, Wavestrider Boots (heroic tier), Hedge Wizard's Gloves (heroic tier), Eternal Chalk (heroic tier), Belt of Vigor (heroic tier), Reading Spectacles (heroic tier), Adventurer's Kit, Climber's Kit, Travel Papers, Lifeblood Hide Armor +2, Force Longsword +2, Jagged Longsword +3, Light Shield
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

The party Argent was hired to protect is a squad or Royal Guards from <insert country here>:

1. Akarnon, tiefling star warlock/something. He keeps retraining his multiclass feat.

2. Iruel, tiefling balanced cleric.

3. Gallik, goliath TWF ranger.

4. <Female half-orc whose name I can't recall right now>, half-orc ardent paladin. Both Gallik and her are played by the same player, to replace a female paladin whose player was kicked out of the group.

5. Sindiin, human war wizard.

6. Argent Gish, unaligned human tactical warlord/wizard/battle captain.

I am the newest player to join this long-running group, my character having entered the game at level 9. Argent was hired by a yet-to-be-revealed patron to protect the party of Royal Guards with his life.

The party was on its way to confront Akarnon's father, who had recently transformed into a lich. We made our way to Akarnon's family mansion, fighting our way through numerous undead, including his family's former servants, who were now vampire spawn.

Blocking our path towards the upper floors was Akarnon's brother, who was now a vampire lord. We made short work of him, then made our way to the upper levels, where we fought some flesh golems and other creations of Akarnon's family before finally reaching Akarnon's father.

It was at this point that Argent calmly walked towards the lich and knelt before him. It turns out that Argent was hired by the lich to bring his son to him. Everyone rolls for initiative.

Before combat begins, Argent asks the lich how he (the lich) was going to pay him (Argent) for his (Argent ) services, now that Akarnon's brother was dead. He then reveals that the lich promised him the Dark Gift of the Undying (through Akarnon's vampire brother) as payment for bringing the prodigal child, Akarnon to him.

His contract with the lich void, Argent was still bound by his other contract to protect to Royal Guards, so he pulls a triple-cross and backstabs the lich. Either way, he gets compensated for his hard work.

We are now at level 11, and the DM let me rebuild Argent into a warlord/wizard/battle captain. This rebuild comes after the party took out a Clockwork (warforged) concentration camp, using Linked Portal to get them out. We are now planning on starting a rebellion to liberate the Clockworks' organic subjects; basically, I get to play Lelouch of the Rebellion.

Aerith is Prince Nightchilde's homebrew campaign setting. Nightchilde, a.k.a. Buddy, is one of the best DMs I have played with. Maybe I can get him to post more about it in this thread.

Gralamin
2009-10-10, 08:11 PM
Simple as that, tell me about your D&D 4th edition characters, though I've got a number of questions to direct things a little.

By which I mean what was the idea behind them, and IC who/what are they about? I don't mean what's their race and class. What distinguishes them as a person? What lifts them above being a collection of the things written on your sheet?

Small Description:
Parid is an Alchemist from a small village. Father of two children, he lives a quiet peaceful life. Until a magical disaster wipes his home from the land, mutates him, starts hearing someone's voice in his head, and kills almost everyone in the village. He travels with his son for a while, until his son goes crazy from the event, kills some innocents, and goes off somewhere. He is now questing for a way to reverse what happened to his son, as well as to find him.

If you've got a Summary from the Character Builder, even better. As much detail as you feel like posting, in a quote block if possible to separate it out. As a side-question here, what level did you start at? Do you have any plans for next level? Was your character built with optimisation in mind?

He's an Artificer//Vestigelock (Gestalt Artificer Warlock), focused on using Alchemical items. His Vestigelock side represents his mutations, Artificer represents his Alchemical knowledge.

As in a shorter form of the above, who are the other characters? What races/classes are they? Did you all generate characters together, or did everyone arrive with their own characters pretty much done?

A bunch of other weirdos. We have a Deva who made a dark pact before he was reborn. An Assassin who doesn't know what they are. A Giant Bat (Heavily re-flavored character). And A druid more animal then person.

And I don't simply mean what's their Role, I mean what do they do in and out of combat? How are you made to feel useful as a player? What situations do the other players look to you to solve?
Mediator, Tactician, and to a certain extent leader.

Homebrewed one that I don't have much information about on me.

HMS Invincible
2009-10-11, 02:04 AM
I originally built him as a evil lich king bent on destroying the world, but my party is so cliched evil that I had to switch to aristocratic patriotic scholar. As a human wizard, he's not the most lawful of people, but he is good-ish. He cares for his family, country and his research into the arcane arts. He is an adept illusionist and master of the battlefield control. He is definitely a flawed man, since his wisdom score isn't reflected in how he behaves towards others. He isn't very charismatic and all his attempts at subtlety fall flat. He is very arrogant but his actions and spells are always of a cowardly wizard escaping harm. He demands party loyalty to each other, and is ruthless to many of his enemies.

Human, Wizard
Build: Illusionist Wizard
Arcane Implement Mastery: Staff of Defense
Background: Occupation - Scholar, Society - Noble (Arcana class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 15, Dex 14, Int 20, Wis 17, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 15, Dex 14, Int 16, Wis 15, Cha 13.

AC: 25 Fort: 20 Reflex: 23 Will: 23
HP: 61 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 15

TRAINED SKILLS
Insight +13, Arcana +15, History +15, Religion +15, Dungeoneering +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +7, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +6, Endurance +7, Heal +8, Intimidate +6, Nature +8, Perception +8, Stealth +7, Streetwise +6, Thievery +7, Athletics +4

FEATS
Wizard: Ritual Caster
Human: Quick Draw
Level 1: Action Surge
Level 2: Enlarge Spell
Level 4: Human Perseverance
Level 6: Arcane Familiar
Level 8: Phantom Echoes
Level 10: Shielding Familiar

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Chilling Cloud
Wizard at-will 1: Scorching Burst
Wizard at-will 1: Thunderwave
Wizard encounter 1: Grasping Shadows
Wizard daily 1: Sleep
Wizard daily 1 Spellbook: Flaming Sphere
Wizard utility 2: Shield
Wizard utility 2 Spellbook: Feather Fall
Wizard encounter 3: Color Spray
Wizard daily 5: Stinking Cloud
Wizard daily 5 Spellbook: Bigby's Icy Grasp
Wizard utility 6: Wizard's Escape
Wizard utility 6 Spellbook: Levitate
Wizard encounter 7: Enemies Abound
Wizard daily 9: Wall of Fire
Wizard daily 9 Spellbook: Face of Death
Wizard utility 10: Blur
Wizard utility 10 Spellbook: Mass Resistance

ITEMS
Spellbook, Adventurer's Kit, Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing), Staff of the War Mage +1, Potion of Healing (heroic tier) (2), Orb of Insurmountable Force +2, Sunleaf Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +2, Orb of Insurmountable Force +1, Cloak of Distortion +1, Wavestrider Boots (heroic tier), Defensive Staff +1, Residuum (Any) (752), Dagger, Magic Staff +3, Cap of Water Breathing (heroic tier), Phrenic Crown (heroic tier), Potion of Resistance (heroic tier) (9), Magic Orb +2, Gravespawn Potion (heroic tier), Fire Beetle Potion (heroic tier), Potion of Stormshield (heroic tier), Potion of Regeneration (heroic tier), Potion of Vigor (heroic tier)
RITUALS
Animal Messenger, Tenser's Floating Disk, Enchant Magic Item, Speak with Dead, Knock, Silence, Disenchant Magic Item, Scroll of Animal Messenger, Scroll of Silence, Scroll of Tenser's Floating Disk, Scroll of Enchant Magic Item, Scroll of Knock, Scroll of Disenchant Magic Item, Scroll of Speak with Dead, Unseen Servant, Scroll of Unseen Servant, Sending, Scroll of Sending, Raise Dead, Scroll of Raise Dead
I started at level 1 and am now level 10. I have to decide what kind of paragon path I will embark upon. It was built with optimization in mind.

What is the party your character is part of like? Mainly they are a bunch of neutral mercenaries, but we have a couple stand outs. We have a very chaotic evil barbarian who constantly kills himself to make a new character. Next, there is a rogue on a quest of power/revenge for the Desert Wind.
We have a dwarf fighter who hates wizards, with me in particular. There was a lot of collateral damage and friendly fire from me onto him when we were lower level. He still holds a grudge to this day.
I have an extremely neutral human swordmage, human barbarian, and human bard.
The fighter, rogue, and me are the only original characters. Everyone else either died or made new ones as they are unhappy with the old ones.

My role out of combat is pretty inconsequential now. I either bumble a negotiation, which I keep out of. Or I get requests to identify crap for them. In combat, I quietly support the whole party while they bask in the glow of success. I've heard complaints about me not pulling my weight damage-wise, but those are from people who don't understand what being a controller is all about. I really shine in combat though, since me casting a single spell usually ends the encounter heavily in our favor. The DM has to make it so hard, that it almost kills the others to make it a challenge for me.
Pretty much, if there is an army vs us, I will pull us through. If it's a boss fight, I merely in the background debuffing others.

I used to be the party leader, but since I've been gone for so long DMing other groups, I've lost that. Now the rogue and fighter vie for party leadership. Their characters seem to have a problem with my wizard now.

We have this world where a vampire patriarch lord is amasssing an army/empire to take on the Lake of steam area in Faerun/Toril. We always wander around, either betraying or working for the vampire lord looking for those who pay the most. My country is being oppressed and I quietly oppose the vampire lord any way I can. We're in a quiet time right now since the war was put on hold to resupply everyone.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-11, 04:04 AM

This was the first character I created in D&D, and I knew it had to be a Paladin. Had to change it quite a few times so I could bring it to the current campaign.

Did a lot of backstory using a Creative Casting book.

Adannaya, level 1
Half-Elf, Paladin
Build: Protecting Paladin
Background: Waterdeep, Geography - Urban, Ward of the Temple, Occupation - Military (Waterdeep Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 15, Dex 10, Int 12, Wis 11, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 12, Wis 11, Cha 16.

AC: 20 Fort: 13 Reflex: 14 Will: 15
HP: 30 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +6, Intimidate +9, Heal +5, Endurance +3

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics -4, Arcana +1, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +8, Dungeoneering, History +1, Insight +2, Nature, Perception, Stealth -4, Streetwise +4, Thievery -4, Athletics -2

FEATS
Level 1: Group Insight

POWERS
Dilettante: Tide of Iron
Lay on Hands: Lay on Hands
Paladin at-will 1: Valiant Strike
Paladin at-will 1: Ardent Strike
Paladin encounter 1: Valorous Smite
Paladin daily 1: Radiant Delirium

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Magic Longsword +1, Plate Armor, Heavy Shield, Holy Symbol, Dagger, Riding Horse

A motley crew. There's a Gnome wizard, a Tiefling fighter, a dragonborn rogue and there will be an Eladrin swordmage.

I often clash with the rogue, who has no qualms about killing bound prisoners.

Healer and the only person who is willing to do good, I often have to argue how I want to help NPCs. Also, I am the only player at this point to have a backstory link to the campaign.

Forgotten Realms, we are in Cormyr

Kiero
2009-10-11, 05:18 AM

I play Maxim Fryar/"Blend"/Koryk of the White Tiger tribe; yes he has three names. The first he never uses, it's his "real" name if you will, that given to him by his father. Blend was originally a derisive nickname which he's come to own, and Koryk is his barbarian name. All these are relevant because he's a half-barbarian who ran away from home and became an outlaw in and around Luruar for a time. His father was/is an abusive tyrant who took his mother as a captive from her native lands.

I normally come up with all the fluff first, that tends to help guide my character creation, but in this instance I knew from the off what I wanted to play, mechanically. Fortunately in 4E the link between the two is often irrelevant, Blend isn't really "nature dude", he's sneaky former criminal who sticks up for his friends. Chief among whom is the party cleric, who he sees as the model of the kind of person he could be. He's responsible for his alignment changing from Unaligned to Good in the backstory-past.

Blend is a two-weapon Ranger, we started at 7th level so the order of his Feats isn't actually relevant really. I'd never played 4E or even 3.x before this game, but I didn't find there was an appreciable learning curve. 4th edition is very easy to play.

Here's what Blend looks like:

Blend, level 7
Human, Ranger
Fighting Style: Two-Blade Fighting Style
Background: Occupation - Criminal (+2 to Stealth)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 17, Con 14, Dex 15, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 14, Dex 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 10.

AC: 20 Fort: 20 Reflex: 20 Will: 18
HP: 61 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 15

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +12, Nature +10, Endurance +10, Acrobatics +10, Athletics +11, Perception +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +3, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +5, Heal +5, History +3, Insight +5, Intimidate +3, Religion +3, Streetwise +3, Thievery +5

FEATS
Human: Action Surge
Level 1: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 2: Two-Weapon Defense
Level 4: Weapon Focus (Axe)
Level 6: Alertness

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Nimble Strike
Ranger at-will 1: Twin Strike
Ranger at-will 1: Hit and Run
Ranger encounter 1: Fox's Cunning
Ranger daily 1: Jaws of the Wolf
Ranger utility 2: Yield Ground
Ranger encounter 3: Cut and Run
Ranger daily 5: Frenzied Skirmish
Ranger utility 6: Weave Through the Fray
Ranger encounter 7: Sweeping Whirlwind

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Backpack (empty), Arrows (30), Waterskin, Rations, Trail (10), Frost Battleaxe +2, Boots of Striding (heroic tier), Everlasting Provisions (heroic tier), Magic Battleaxe +2*, Magic Leather Armor +2*, Magic Dagger +2*, Magic Longbow +2*, Amulet of Protection +2*

*None of these are actually magic items; in order to give out less gear the GM attaches bonuses to the PCs themselves, any weapon Blend picks up is a +2 weapon for example. But to model that in the CB, I had to make them all magical.

He was built partially with optimisation (choice of Feats and Powers), but also my preferences in mind. Which is why he doesn't have any stats below 10 or heavier armour than leather, for example (it's the regular 22-point buy).

Next level I'll be raising his Strength and Dexterity (which will zing up all his defences bar Will by two with the 1/2 level increase too) and getting Quick Draw. The latter is a nice double effect, his Initiative goes up by a total of four as well as getting the first draw of a weapon as a free action. When to switch weapons can often be a tricky decision in-game because it usually means losing the ability to either attack or move.

I love playing Blend, all I have to do in combat is think about positioning. He stalks about smashing things hard.

We generated characters as a group. While I did arrive with a pretty fixed idea of what I wanted to play, everyone else decided as we talked out the possibilities. We were keen to ensure all the roles were covered. We pretty much always do chargen that way, as a group.

The rest of the group is as follows:
Sunlord Lucius (Human Cleric) - scion of Waterdhavian nobility and a good man.
Sreberko (Genasi Swordmage) - sister of Hafunail, an assault Swordmage I think.
Hafunail (Genasi Wizard) - brother of Sreberko, ice-focused.

Lucius is definitely the lynchpin; without his healing we'd be sunk. Fortunately his player enjoys playing that role, so everyone is happy. He's multiclassing into Warlord next level for even more healing (and Endurance as a trained skill, something that he's been suffering from not having with the extreme cold).

Funny thing is, in spite of being the Ranger class, Blend isn't the best tracker/nature dude in the party. Hafunail is actually slightly better. Though they do tend to look to him to do all that sort of thing. However he is the sharp one who notices things (highest Perception, I tend to roll well on the checks), and the sneaky one who can seemingly vanish. He's also their go-between whenever we deal with the tribes of the tundra, since he's known to them.

When there are disagreements centring around morality (such as how to treat prisoners) he tends to side with Lucius. The two genasi are Unaligned and not terribly empathetic.

In a scrap, he's the best ranged combatant, though he rarely does that for more than the first two rounds or so. In melee he's a demon, he regularly gets the most kills (even when the opponents are minions - Twin Strike is remarkably effective for that, especially at range).

In the last session he beat a Thaneborn Barbarian in single combat, which not only avoided a large battle, but increased his reputation amongst his own tribe too. His grandfather, who hates him, was present and trying to turn the situation violent, but Sreberko's player came up with the idea of a challenge. No one died, and the man trying to turn the Rhegedmen against the Dalesfolk had his agenda set back some.

Forgotten Realms, post-Spellplague. We're in Icewind Dale, we even have the music from the games for background atmosphere. The PCs are the protectors of the Ten Towns.

Hal
2009-10-11, 09:10 AM
Please keep in mind that my character has sort of coalesced as the game as proceeded. I was invited to join the campaign, in progress, at the last minute. I showed up with no books and asked, "So, what do you need in the party yet?" "Um . . . we could really use a healer. How about a cleric?" So, I like to think he's come far from being generic-holy-healy guy.

Well, I'm playing a devout human cleric of Bahamut, Devon Aidendale. If you get that reference, you win a cookie. He's young and idealistic, which has led to some good decisions and some rather unfortunate ones as well. The church of Bahamut sends all young disciples of the church (that is, the ones with combat powers) out into the world to pursue the justice of Bahamut; after a year of travel, they are to report back to the "head office" and their actions, and the consequences of said actions, are to be judged. If they are deemed worthy, they are promoted to the higher ranks of the church (which will probably be reflected by access to a paragon path).

He's a "lazer" cleric. High Wis/Cha scores, lots of healing spells, nothing melee. He's actually a pretty good healbot, but then he has to be; our party ranks swelled to 7 at one point, which meant that he had to work dang hard to keep people alive.

His stat block isn't exactly ideal, but I got some bad advice when I built him (and the DM won't let me redistribute). He's got a 12 in Str, which is worthless for his archetype. But hey, when I roll a 20 on my AoOs, I do 9 damage instead of 8!

Fighter, Paladin, Rogue, Wizard. Our Ranger just rode the plot wagon into a coma, and our Wizard will be following him shortly. The Fighter's a sell-sword, the Paladin is another devotee of Bahamut, although he doesn't talk about it much. Strong, silent type. The Rogue might as well be a kender, which has been a headache at times. The Wizard is an "escort." That is, she escorts caravans, merchants, travelling groups, etc. I think that player really regrets writing that on his character sheet.

A very good question. The fighter acts as the party face. The wizard is the sagely knowledge person. I try to act as the "conscience" of the party, but the DM doesn't really make many opportunities for that, and the few times that he has, it's been more to exploit it as a weakness than anything else.

My character believes strongly in redemption (which clashes quite a bit with the justice-driven Bahamut philosophy). I rescued an orc during a dungeon crawl at one point, and he ended up travelling with us for several levels. The GM only gave him 25% of our XP, so when things started becoming too difficult for him to survive, I sent him off to the chief temple of Bahamut for training. (He swore a life-oath to me, so he feels bound to follow and serve me. I told him that he was free to leave now, but that if he still was content to serve me then he should take my letter of introduction to the temple and follow their instructions.)

I think in the end, my way for the party will be to get them to think before acting, to try to resolve issues without the use of their swords. We'll see how that works out.

Forgotten Realms. My DM passed me a copy of the player's guide to the setting, but I have yet to peruse it deeply. *Shrug*

GoufCustom
2009-10-11, 10:52 AM

An invoker (was a cleric first, before PHB2 came out, but invoker was a better fit to my concept, so my DM let me do a full class-swap) who worships Erathis. He likes law. He likes order. More than he cares about goodness, certainly. He doesn't ever want to leave cities and have to interact with all those... trees, and dirt, and less civilized humanoid races. Ugh. But, due to the world-saving, he has to. He is quite grumpy about it. Since the plot also ends up involving a cult claiming to serve the Raven Queen, he is becoming rather dedicated to their eradication.

Tim, level 7
Human, Invoker
Build: Wrathful Invoker
Divine Covenant: Covenant of Wrath

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 15, Dex 10, Int 14, Wis 21, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 15, Dex 10, Int 14, Wis 19, Cha 14.

AC: 21 Fort: 17 Reflex: 17 Will: 20
HP: 49 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 12

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy +10, Religion +10, Arcana +10, Insight +13, History +10, Dungeoneering +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +4, Bluff +7, Endurance +6, Heal +10, Intimidate +7, Nature +10, Perception +10, Stealth +4, Streetwise +7, Thievery +4, Athletics +4

FEATS
Invoker: Ritual Caster
Human: Improved Initiative
Level 1: Human Perseverance
Level 2: Harmony of Erathis
Level 4: Jack of All Trades
Level 6: Skill Training (Dungeoneering)

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Sun Strike
Invoker at-will 1: Divine Bolts
Invoker at-will 1: Avenging Light
Invoker encounter 1: Astral Terror
Invoker daily 1: Summon Angel of Fire
Invoker utility 2: Emissary of the Gods
Invoker encounter 3: Chains of Carceri
Invoker daily 5: Blade of Vengeance
Invoker utility 6: Demand Justice
Invoker encounter 7: Invoke Obedience

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Magic Quarterstaff +1, Boots of Spider Climbing (heroic tier), Magic Chainmail +2
RITUALS
Tenser's Floating Disk, Hand of Fate

He started out before we had PHB2, at which point he was a cleric as little oriented towards healing as possible. Blasty. Part of the reason for the class switch. I think I need to look over the base stats again, they might've gotten messed up either in the transfer to invoker, transfer to the character creator from paper, or both.

Tiefling Warlock.
Eldarin Wizard.
Human Warlord. Now deceased, and walking around as undead until we get out of this dungeon. It's a long story.
Other Human Warlord.
Dragonborn Fighter.
Another guy I'm forgetting.

We're split into two parties, that converge and reform with different members on occassion. One session focuses on one, the next on the other, and repeat. Tim gets along best with the tiefling. He also technically has control of the dead warlord there.

I'm usually the controller of the party I'm in. I can generally be counted on to blast things, and be our front man when having non-combat encounters with the previously mentioned cult, what with his religious background. In the wild, however, it's best to let someone else do the talking. He's likely to start yelling because of all that damn dirtiness.

[/b]What campaign setting do they exist in?[/b]

It's called Kythrych, custom setting our DM made. The dragons all supposedly died out, but there was a civilization based around them long ago, and the current one carries much of their old things onward (including lack of vowels in proper nouns). We still have to learn a lot of background stuff, but the cult seems to be very interested in bringing dragons back. We've met one live dragon who does not like what they're doing.

Favorite moment with the character?

Yeah, I'm adding one, because I think it's a fun question. My favorite moment has been fighting one of the top agents of the Cult of the Adorners, as they call themselves. Incidentally, it's also our tiefling warlock's sister. She was hovering a little bit above the battlefield, doing her thing. I got enough of a running start and managed a leaping grab, so that I was hanging from her legs. Now, this cult claims to follow the Raven Queen, but keeps bringing things into undeath, AWAY from her domain. So he shouts, "Stop perverting the teachings of the Raven Queen, you bitch!" and shoots a point-blank daily into her face. Well, considering location, probably somewhere else, but you get the idea.

And now that she keeps showing up to antagonize us, he makes joking comments about how she must be into him.

1of3
2009-10-11, 12:12 PM
[QUOTE=Kiero;7096086]What is your character concept?

His parents, probably farmers, definitely human, gave him to an elvish monastry, when he was little. They thought he would have a better life in there. In fact, he was turned into the fantasy equivalent of a super soldier.

Later, abused and jaded, he ran away. He spent some time with a shaman, but as of yet, has not healed. He's a cynic.

Human Pursuing Avenger (MC Shaman)
Background: Grown up with another race (Elf); +2 Perception

Uses a Lifedrinker long spear.

Feats: Combat Medic, MC Shaman, Leather Armor, Melee Training

Started at first level, played to fourth.

A halfing sorcerer from a merchant family. Funny, little man with a taste for treasure.
A dragonborn paladin of Bahamut. She's very... well... paladin.
A (now) Revenant Vestige Warlock, former Half-Elf, who is very devoted to the Raven Queen.

If there is a trap, I find. If there is an artillery monster, it's mine.

Nentir Vale.

Loxagn
2009-10-11, 01:03 PM

Well, Rem is outwardly the stereotypical easygoing bard. He likes to enjoy most of the vices life has to offer, though he comes from an extremely odd background; notably the fact that he was raised to be a military genius and a politician, but left home because he rather didn't like the idea of getting stabbed and shot at for a living. Rem is a damn good liar, and has repeatedly gotten himself out of very sticky situations on words alone.
Due to some bad experiences in his early years, he hates gnomes to the point of irrationality when they are around.

Well, our party was using the 'roll 3d6 for your stats' method, and I seem to have rolled ungodly well. With racial bonuses, at level 1 I ended up with:
STR 12
CON 15
DEX 14
INT 15
WIS 16
CHA 20
He also had a +13 bonus to Bluff and Diplomacy, something I was very happy with. I made him a Prescient Bard, because they had a lot of bow support.

Right now, the party's level 4, and so far I've taken Bardic Knowledge, Friendly Deception, and Weapon Proficiency (Greatbow). I've also taken to enchanting my own stuff, the result being that the Bard of the group is dealing more damage with the bow than the Ranger is. Go figure.

Oh lord. Well, the rest of the party is a bunch of sociopaths, all either unaligned (myself included) with one evil ranger and a chaotic evil druid. The first question that any of us asks when given a quest is almost always 'how does this benefit us?
But I guess this is to be expected. We have the half-elf bard (me), a human rogue, a human fighter with magical prosthetic legs who kicks things very hard, a tiefling star pact warlock who cannot hit anything on account of him somehow managing to always roll below 5, a razorclaw shifter druid who is mentally five, and the eladrin ranger.
Somehow, we used to have a Paladin, but part of the plot involved his god being destroyed, and thus he was killed by the backlash and now cannot be raised.
The party also has a deva Invoker/Paladin that seems to always know where we are.

Well, since our Paladin died, Rem's main purpose is to zip around the battlefield healing and sniping in combat, something he is very good at.
Out of combat, I'm the go-to guy when there's a situation that needs to be resolved by talking, considering my massive bonuses to bluff and diplomacy as compared to everyone else. He also seems to be the source of much comic relief, especially when I badly **** up any sort of physically-based roll.

Well, it's a homebrew campaign. It takes a lot of mythological stuff, for example the Astral dominions have been largely replaced by Yggdrasil, there are a few different gods and goddesses, certain planes have been replaced, and there's some kind of god-killing abomination going around that's nuked Pelor and Tiamat.

Kiero
2009-10-12, 05:16 PM
No one else wants to tell us about their character?

Thajocoth
2009-10-12, 06:08 PM
No one else wants to tell us about their character?

I can summarize and am willing to answer questions, but this thread really asks for more detail than I care to spend time typing out.

That said, I generally read through the different books and some power, skill, ability, or something will strike me as something to create a personality around.

For example, my first character: Monster knowledge checks - Lorendai "Lore" Quelaevin, Eladrin Wizard. He's booksmart and comes off as arrogant unintentially. He retired to study the undead (to aid the side of good against them.)

Daggermaster - Hank L. Biter, Halfling Rogue. The L is for Lucky. We started at Paragon Tier and he took Daggermaster, letting him crit on an 18-20. He's got a +3 Bloodiron dagger in his main hand, a +2 Vicious Dagger in his offhand, Flame Bracers for a bonus 1d10 fire on a crit, two feats, one for a bonus [W] on a crit and the other for a bonus 1d10, a third feat for a free offhand attack whenever he crits, a wondorous gem that gives him a free melee basic 1/encounter when he crits, and the paragon path's level 12 power gives him a 3[w] minor action attack 1/encounter on a crit. Bloodiron deals the bonus crit dice damage again at the start of Hank's next turn. My record with him is 7 crits in 1 turn. The stuff we face, however, is well beyond the recommended numbers for our level. It's a "high power" campaign in which everyone's a bit over-optimized.

Heavy War Pick - Dwarves get bonuses to Axes and Hammers... But aren't Picks a very dwarf weapon? Dwarves mine all the time! So I played Moorale, the drunken dwarf fighter with a large pick. He died in a TPK.

Warforged Artificer - The idea that the character is what they make (a construct that constructs constructs).

Elemental Tempest Paragon Path - Zerp-Hera, Genasi Swordlord (Swordmage|Warlord). She takes ALL racial feats. There are enough of them for her to reach level 30 on them. (Except for Deva Heritage[I like the idea of an elemental + immortal combo, as the gods & primordials were once at war] at level 1 and Hybrid Talent at 2 for the +3 AC) She optimizes her racial benefits and bonuses. Two manifestations at once and able to swap which ones she's in mid-battle a couple different ways... And get bonuses like temphp for using her racial powers. Add onto that. She's not yet being played.

Druid Wild Shape - This druid has been a panther most of her life and is more used to her panther shape than her Elf one. (And her speed is 8.) She's not yet being played.

Changeling shapeshifting - Changeling Dark Fey Pact Warlock (There's a feat to dual-pact) who comes in when another of my characters dies, looking like my old character.

Char Builder Stats (for those in the builder):

This represents changed stats in case Lore is ever played again. He's changed to a summoner build:
Lorendai "Lore" Quelaevin, level 8
Eladrin, Wizard
Arcane Implement Mastery: Tome of Binding

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 16, Dex 13, Int 22, Wis 10, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 11, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 8.

AC: 20 Fort: 17 Reflex: 20 Will: 17
HP: 54 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 13

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +9, Arcana +17, Dungeoneering +11, Religion +17, History +17

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Endurance +7, Heal +4, Insight +4, Intimidate +3, Perception +4, Stealth +5, Streetwise +3, Thievery +5, Athletics +4

FEATS
Wizard: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Careful Summoner
Level 2: Reaper's Touch
Level 4: Arcane Familiar
Level 6: Ghost Touched
Level 8: Shielding Familiar

POWERS
Wizard at-will 1: Illusory Ambush
Wizard at-will 1: Magic Missile
Wizard encounter 1: Force Orb
Wizard daily 1: Summon Fire Warrior
Wizard daily 1 Spellbook: Freezing Cloud
Wizard utility 2: Faith Healing
Wizard utility 2 Spellbook: Shield
Wizard encounter 3: Hypnotic Pattern
Wizard daily 5: Summon Abyssal Maw
Wizard daily 5 Spellbook: Visions of Avarice
Wizard utility 6: Summon Iron Cohort
Wizard utility 6 Spellbook: Insightful Warning
Wizard encounter 7: Tomebound Ooze

ITEMS
Spellbook
RITUALS
Brew Potion, Make Whole, Enchant Magic Item, Transfer Enchantment, Animal Messenger

Hank needed extra cards with his crit details, since his crits are so complicated:
Hank L. Biter, level 16
Halfling, Rogue, Daggermaster
Rogue Tactics: Brutal Scoundrel
Background: Auspicious Birth

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 19, Con 11, Dex 23, Int 9, Wis 11, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 15, Con 10, Dex 17, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 13.

AC: 30 Fort: 25 Reflex: 31 Will: 24
HP: 98 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 26

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +19, Thievery +21, Perception +15, Bluff +16, Acrobatics +21, Athletics +18

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +7, Diplomacy +11, Dungeoneering +8, Endurance +8, Heal +8, History +7, Insight +10, Intimidate +11, Nature +8, Religion +7, Streetwise +11

FEATS
Level 1: Backstabber
Level 2: Nimble Blade
Level 4: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 6: Weapon Expertise (Light Blade)
Level 8: Two-Weapon Defense (retrained to Bleeding Backstab at Level 15)
Level 10: Surprise Knockdown
Level 11: Rogue Weapon Mastery
Level 12: Devastating Critical
Level 14: Two-Weapon Opening
Level 16: Two-Weapon Defense

POWERS
Rogue at-will 1: Deft Strike
Rogue at-will 1: Piercing Strike
Rogue encounter 1: Dazing Strike
Rogue daily 1: Easy Target
Rogue utility 2: Tumble
Rogue encounter 3: Nasty Backswing
Rogue daily 5: Surefooted Retort
Rogue utility 6: Nimble Climb
Rogue encounter 7: Imperiling Strike
Rogue daily 9: Agonizing Shot
Rogue utility 10: Combat Tumbleset
Rogue encounter 13: Toppling Slash (replaces Dazing Strike)
Rogue daily 15: Slaying Strike (replaces Easy Target)
Rogue utility 16: Defensive Roll

ITEMS
Sunleaf Drowmesh +3, Vicious Dagger +2, Bloodiron Dagger +3, Boots of the Fencing Master (heroic tier), Gauntlets of Ogre Power (heroic tier), Diadem of Acuity (heroic tier), Collar of Recovery +3, Belt of Vigor (paragon tier), Adventurer's Kit, Climber's Kit, Rope, hempen (50 ft.) (8), Flare (2), Crowbar, Library Card, Handy Haversack (heroic tier), Everlasting Provisions (heroic tier), Thieves' Tools, Flame Bracers (paragon tier), Solitaire (Aquamarine) (paragon tier), Potion of Vitality (paragon tier), Melee Crit, Ranged Crit, Off Hand Crit

I recieved a custom item from the GM, so I had to play with the builder's "Houserules" stuff to get the powers from it onto cards. It's a +2 Devil Rod that has the powers of Vampiric Embrace 1/day as well as those of an Orb of Crystalline Terror:
Struct, level 8
Warforged, Artificer

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 20, Wis 16, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 10, Dex 10, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 8.

AC: 22 Fort: 17 Reflex: 20 Will: 20
HP: 59 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 14

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +14, Dungeoneering +12, Perception +12, Thievery +9, Heal +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +4, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Endurance +7, History +9, Insight +7, Intimidate +5, Nature +7, Religion +9, Stealth +4, Streetwise +3, Athletics +7

FEATS
Artificer: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Arcane Familiar
Level 2: Shield Proficiency (Light)
Level 4: Improved Warforged Resolve
Level 6: Potent Restorables
Level 8: Weapon Proficiency (Tratnyr)

POWERS
Artificer at-will 1: Thundering Armor
Artificer at-will 1: Magic Weapon
Power User Choice: Vampiric Embrace
Artificer encounter 1: Spike Wire
Artificer daily 1: Life-Tapping Darts
Artificer utility 2: Restorative Infusion
Artificer encounter 3: Altered Luck
Artificer daily 5: Corrosive Sigil
Artificer utility 6: Healing Reserve
Artificer encounter 7: Vampiric Weapons

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Battleforged Shield Light Shield (heroic tier), Magic Rod +2, Healer's Brooch +1, Backpack (empty), Pouch, Belt (empty), Rope, hempen (50 ft.), Thieves' Tools, Climber's Kit, Magic Leather Armor +1, Magic Tratnyr +1, Keoghtom's Ointment (paragon tier), Orb of Crystalline Terror +2, Archery Medal, Right Hand, Arcane Empowerment
RITUALS
Make Whole, Brew Potion, Enchant Magic Item, Disenchant Magic Item, Cure Disease

Zep-Hera, level 4
Genasi, Swordmage|Warlord
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid): Swordmage Aegis
Swordmage Aegis: Aegis of Assault
Hybrid Warlord: Hybrid Warlord Will
Hybrid Talent: Swordmage Warding
Elemental Manifestation: Firesoul
Firepulse: Firepulse Strength
Extra Manifestation: Windsoul
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 19, Con 10, Dex 8, Int 19, Wis 11, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 10, Dex 8, Int 16, Wis 11, Cha 13.

AC: 22 Fort: 17 Reflex: 17 Will: 16
HP: 49 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 13

TRAINED SKILLS
History +11, Athletics +11, Arcana +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +4, Heal +2, Insight +2, Intimidate +3, Nature +4, Perception +2, Religion +6, Stealth +1, Streetwise +3, Thievery +1

FEATS
Level 1: Deva Heritage
Level 2: Hybrid Talent
Level 4: Extra Manifestation

POWERS
Hybrid Swordmage at-will 1: Lightning Lure
Hybrid Warlord at-will 1: Commander's Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Warlord's Favor
Hybrid daily 1: Lead the Attack
Hybrid utility 2: Aid the Injured
Hybrid encounter 3: Dimensional Vortex

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Climber's Kit, Lifedrinker Longsword +1, Stanching Leather Armor +1, Collar of Recovery +1, Crowbar, Belt of Vigor (heroic tier)

"Nyx" Woodstar, level 8
Elf, Druid
Primal Aspect: Primal Predator

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 22, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 14, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 8.

AC: 22 Fort: 17 Reflex: 22 Will: 24
HP: 58 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 14

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +17, Athletics +9, Perception +17, Endurance +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +8, Arcana +4, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +10, Heal +10, History +4, Insight +10, Intimidate +3, Religion +4, Stealth +8, Streetwise +3, Thievery +8

FEATS
Druid: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Elven Precision
Level 2: Wild Elf Luck
Level 4: Enraged Boar Form
Level 6: Primal Fury
Level 8: Implement Expertise (staff)

POWERS
Druid at-will 1: Grasping Claws
Druid at-will 1: Thorn Whip
Druid at-will 1: Savage Rend
Druid encounter 1: Darting Bite
Druid daily 1: Savage Frenzy
Druid utility 2: Fleet Pursuit
Druid encounter 3: Predator's Flurry
Druid daily 5: Summon Stalking Panther
Druid utility 6: Leaf Wall
Druid encounter 7: Latch On

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Defensive Staff +2, Elven Battle Leather Armor +2, Medallion of Death Deferred +2, Adventurer's Kit, Climber's Kit, Bracers of Defense (heroic tier), Longbow, Arrows (30)
RITUALS
Animal Messenger, Purify Water

Moorale died before I got Character Builder.

Mando Knight
2009-10-12, 06:43 PM

He's a Dragonborn Paladin of Bahamut... because the Platinum Dragon is the god of JUSTICE. His blood runs as hot as his glowing, incinerating breath, and he champions Bahamut's order with a vengeance.

I've got several versions of the character, mechanically, based off of what materials I've had available at the time. I could post a couple dozen different builds, starting with the first build I made for him, at level 1...

Here's the most recent build, at level 3.
Dragonborn, Paladin
Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Strength
Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Fire
Background: Dragonborn - Rare Egg, Family Tradition, Dragonborn - Brush with the Past, Scion of an Ancient Bloodline, Occupation - Military, Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 13, Dex 13, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 13, Dex 13, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 12.

AC: 22 Fort: 17 Reflex: 16 Will: 15
HP: 45 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 12

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +5, History +10, Endurance +3, Diplomacy +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics -2, Arcana, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +3, Heal +3, Insight +3, Intimidate +5, Nature +3, Perception +3, Stealth -2, Streetwise +3, Thievery -2, Athletics +1

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Bastard sword)
Level 2: Draconic Challenge

POWERS
Lay on Hands: Lay on Hands
Paladin at-will 1: Valiant Strike
Paladin at-will 1: Ardent Strike
Paladin encounter 1: Divine Pursuit
Paladin daily 1: Blazing Brand
Paladin utility 2: Call of Challenge
Paladin encounter 3: Hold Fast

ITEMS
Inescapable Bastard sword +1, Reinforcing Plate Armor +1, Adventurer's Kit, Shield of the Guardian Heavy Shield (heroic tier), Amulet of Physical Resolve +1

All campaigns he's in have died off, but the most recent one had another Paladin, an Invoker, a couple of Rogues, and a Tactical Warlord.

He defends the rest, mostly by shutting down the most dangerous member of the enemy group. Since I last played him before Divine Power was released, that was pretty much the most effective way I could use him... which was pretty effective, considering that he had a highly accurate attack that dazed and weakened the target so long as he kept a mark on him.

Again, the campaigns he's been in have died off...

WalkingTarget
2009-10-12, 06:53 PM

Gardain - Dwarven Avenger of Kord. The campaign we're playing in involves a world in a spiral towards darkness (i.e. think like 5 years from Ravenloft the way things are going - that's a simplification but I don't want to spell out the whole backstory). In short, our "side" is led by a messianic figure and we're fighting for "The Five" (four Unaligned gods from the core books and a fifth unifying one invented for the campaign). As such we're all operating from a quasi-religious playbook, even if we're not all divine-sourced characters. Gardain was the Executioner of Kord and since unification and the start of the war he has been moved to the front lines as a member of one of the few adventuring groups pushing outwards, fighting evil, and spreading hope and the faith (the PCs are one group, there are two other groups operating in other areas that we haven't really interacted with). Between teleportation rituals and a pair of those bags that share their space so we can pass things back and forth with HQ we have access to the rest of the army if we need it (although we're much higher level than the soldiers, it's only really come up once).

Currently level 19, started at 13. Got the option to change spec a bit after Divine Power came out as I chose to change from Isolating to Unity. I don't really have any optimization stuff in mind (i.e. I don't have an overall plan for the character, just pick whatever seems useful at the moment).

Str 11
Con 14
Dex 16
Int 19
Wis 23
Cha 9

Began play with a Jagged Executioner's Axe (for higher crit chance and big damage to play into the theme of the character), but after a run-in with a mysterious (and presumably recurring) undead paladin-like guy I've switched to his Bloodclaw Mordendrad. My favorite really cheap buy, though, was the Hedge Wizard's Gloves. The mage hand ability has come in really handy several times (we lack a wizard in the group). The Skybound armor I've got currently has come in useful a few times where I needed to jump ("flying" dwarf if humorous for me).

Other members: Dragonborn Fighter, Half-orc Rogue, Human Swordmage, a Deva Shaman, an Invoker that uses a race from a book I haven't read (or maybe from the DDI stuff) an elemental or something, and a Ranger that we've homebrewed a quasi-angelic race for. Our individual characters are our own, but the game world and the mindset I mentioned earlier was known ahead of time and we tend to have a group session up front to discuss what roles people are interested in.

Our group dynamic consists of the fighter accruing a bunch of nearby enemies and using attacks that hit/mark several of them at once and keep them there (or at least nearby). The Ranger has very high move and engages enemies that are in outlying areas. The Swordmage might set up shop a little way away from the fighter to maybe act as a secondary tank, otherwise to take on stragglers and/or help flank stuff. Shaman hangs back and does heals and summons spirits to grant various buffs for everybody. The Rogue sticks fairly close to the fighter group and kills the hell out of them. The Invoker is pretty much built around dazing all the enemies, everywhere (and a few pretty impressive buffs for us).

My job: killing things. Usually one guy at a time, with a vengeance. Well, several of us do that, but my sub-job is to herd enemies towards the tank(s) and away from the more squishy characters (several Avenger of Unity powers have secondary forced movement effects that can be a lot of fun). For all of the "forces of good" stuff I mentioned earlier, I apparently seem to be the only character with more than one ability with the Radiant keyword (and the only one with an At-will that has it), so I'm also kind of the designated undead-smiter. Wiser than I am charismatic, I'm usually not interacting with the important NPCs alongside the Faces of the group, but we've run into a few situations that I managed to bypass combat by thinking through a problem before charging in (or by the only one who speaks Dwarven). I enjoy playing him.

Described it up top. Homebrew setting, but we're given pretty free rein to pick stuff from any of the sourcebooks if we want it.

Nai_Calus
2009-10-13, 11:42 PM

Ephram Theryn: A kind and noble but flawed man who's been damaged by life and seeks redemption for a crime he doesn't know he didn't really commit.

Danien Kesar: A smarmy bastard who's sort of a cross between Indiana Jones, Han Solo and a lecherous jerk.

Ephram Theryn: Shielding Swordmage. Built around nothing in particular except what seemed like a good idea at the time. Probably taking Wandering Swordmage as a PP if he ever gets that far. Currently L1, played him briefly in a game that didn't ever get to combat at L8.

Danien Kesar: Cunning Bard with a multiclass into Rogue for the Thievery skill. Leans more towards bull****ting his way through things than negotiating. L2.

Ephram: Goblin Bard, Human Wizard, Human Paladin(Kord), Human Avenger(Ioun). Reminds me to start some minor character clashing with the Avenger. Ephram is devoted to Corellon and dislikes Ioun for stepping on Corellon's toes as a deity arcanists are devoted to. :smallamused:

Danien: Human Rogue, Human Wizard, and I forget what the last guy is.

Ephram: Sort of the Arcana/History guy. Part of his concept is that he loves magic and history, which works well with him being an Eladrin since they get bonuses to both. Took a background on him to get another +2 to History. He's kind of an investigative type.

Danien: What role, he's there to get everyone else to do the work for him. OK, not really, but.

Ephram: Homebrew, small town.

Danien: Eberron, Sharn.

Atcote
2009-10-13, 11:59 PM

He's an Evil Goblin Paladin of Asmodeus, and, being stronger (technically) than the party minotaur, is convinced of his superiority over that of his entire kindred. He's given a Crown of Azmodeus, which is a metal, featureless (nobody knows what he really looks like) plate scalded onto his face, and allows Azomedus to read his every thought and even communicate with him. As he's a character in a game I'm DMing, provided the party acts as expected (which I hope they don't), he would eventually be turned from Azmodeus into being a Good Paladin, but only due to being driven insane from the the thoughts and threats of Azmodeus bored into his skull constantly (insanity can take you all sorts of places).

He didn't turn out exactly how I originally expected, as he's the best character I've ever rolled, and this changed by point of view in a lot of ways.

An Avenging Paladin, he's slightly taller than the maximum height for Goblins listed in the monster manual (but still not quite so ridiculous as to imagine another Goblin bursting open from giving birth to him). Off the top of my head I believe he's:

STR: 18
DEX: 16
CON: 14
WIS: 11
INT: 10
CHR: 20 (helped by the racial bonus of Goblins)

The party (the PCs) are:
A minotaur Cleric of Bane;
A Gnoll Fighter;
An albino Gnoll Warlord;
A male Changling Rogue.

All are working of a pantheon of Evil Gods as a low level inflitration party. I can't give away more right now, as one of the players may be on the forum by now.

Everyone thought he was going to be the butt monkey; Goblins still have that role in a couple of their worlds. Rather quickly after being rolled however, he became the 'acting commander' of the unit, meaning he barks the orders, and the players decide whether to follow. Let's just say I don't expect things to remain fine between him and the PCs for very long, but until then, he's an NPC character in the party.

It's my general (and currently unnamed) compaigning world, which is on the threshold of steam power, and some places have magic completely outlawed. This takes place in a more rural area where these laws are not in affect, but, hey, it's not like these guys follow any of those laws.

Da'Shain
2009-10-14, 04:17 AM
A half-elf wanderer of uncertain birth, Rohlan Deliann was taken as a squire at a young age by Sir Barton Black, a knight-captain in the Viridian army. After Sir Black's assassination, Rohlan was "adopted" by a shadowy group, who groomed him and trained him to become a prince, telling him he was the son of the Queen, who was known to have a proclivity for Elven lovers. He escaped after eavesdropping on one of his new "parents" and learning that they had no idea who his parents were; he merely looked enough like the queen for them to pass him off as her heir after she was killed. After about a year of wandering, he met a deserter sergeant and joined with him and his friends, as they all seek to avoid the notice of Viridia's nobility.

An Inspiring Warlord. He's designed to simulate his education and skill at arms; trained first to be a knight-captain and then a king, he's now an example to comrades and a target to enemies, always on the front lines of the fight. He wears chain mail and fights with longsword and shield, as he was taught. His Dilettante power is Tide of Iron, and he's taken Mounted Combat, Improved Init and Jack of All Trades. Currently we're only level 5.

There's
- a Human Ranger, who's the veteran sergeant and fights with double scimitars
- a Dwarven Wizard, the sergeant's oldest friend and practitioner of blood magic (fluff-wise)
- a Halfling Rogue, who Rohlan set free from prison and believes nothing is proof against a crossbow bolt in the neck
- a Dragonborn Paladin, sent to retrieve his tribe's holy relic from the thieves of Kairost.

The mechanical leader, and often the face of the party. He shares healing duty with the Paladin, as well as being the backup defender. RP-wise, he's a confident young man that the sergeant finds irritating but useful, the wizard finds amusing, the rogue feels indebted to and friendly towards, and the Paladin finds a worthy comrade in a land of savages. His backstory is currently the most connected to the main plot, although the wizard seems to know far more than he should about events.

What campaign setting do the characters exist in?
A fairly low magic homebrew world, set on a small continent where human and dwarven nations dominate the vast majority of land, but dragonborn tribes own the frozen north and Eladrin rule the Elven forests from their always sunlit city. A major war was fought a few years ago between the two main human nations, Viridia and Kairost, and Kairost's magocracy was destroyed. Its country is nomimally under joint control between Viridia and Eberkstrom, the dwarven nation, but most of it remains lawless in the wake of the war. At the moment, the party has escaped pursuit from Viridian forces by cutting across a large desert and into the unpatrolled regions of defunct Kairost, and is trying to bring down the local bandit lord.

Burley
2009-10-14, 06:59 AM
I'm gonna cheat a bit because the character that stuck in my head right now is one that I made, but never played.
This is my concept short-essay. (I always write at least two pages for any character.) He's just a halfling chaos-sorcerer with legit powers that he can't control. For example, his chaos bolt power will attack allies if it has attacked all enemies in play.
Vernon comes from a small shire not too terribly far from here. It’s a cozy place, with warm burrows and warm friends. Vernon’s family has lived in the shire for all it’s generations.
His mother was a baker, and her mother and mother’s mother were a wet nurses. Her mother-before-her was a seamstress, but her mother-before-her’s mother isn’t spoken in polite conversation. The mothers before that were either dairy maids or house madams.
Vernon’s father is the leader of the shire guard. So, was his father, and his father’s father, and his father’s father’s father. All the way back to the founding patron of Vernon’s family, the first sons of first sons led the shire’s guardsmen, except for the first grandson of the founding patron, who was an artist.
Vernon, however, isn’t a first son. He has little to no aspiration to be a guardsman. Really, he has little to know aspiration, period. Vernon is a lazy sort of man, doing as he pleases when he pleases. Being that his family’s money isn’t based in farming or manual labor, Vernon needs only to appease his mother, father, and brown-nosed older brother Daexter. Vernon spends most of his time in the woods, whittling at sticks into nothing. He knows he isn’t an artist, and doesn’t aspire to be, but he enjoys the way a knife feels sinking into the wood, sliding through the wood fiber and the sharp jerk when he reaches the end and realizes how much energy is used to move the knife.

This evening, Vernon wakes up suddenly, gasping for breath and screaming.
“Are you okay, boy? How are you feeling?” A fanged and scaly face is hanging in front of him. Vernon screams harder, kicking himself away.
“Calm yourself, lad. You’re safe now. Gave us a fright, you did. Thanks Avandra you’re okay.” Vernon chances to turn and look at the voice. The fanged and scaly face is attached to the armed and armored body of a dragonborn. Vernon realizes at that moment that he is very tired.
For the second time this evening, Vernon wakes up suddenly, gasping for breath and screaming.

“Hey!” Vernon is gingerly slapped on the jaw. “You only get one. Calm down, or I’ll rattle your brain addle. How’re you feeling?”
Vernon feels sore and tired, but fine. There is a tightness in his chest that he doesn’t recognize.
“That’d be the slaad embryo you picked up. We’ll have to wait a bit before we can do anything about that. Here, drink this.”
Vernon’s eyes are filling with tears of terror and confusion. If there is an embryo, that means he was at some point attacked by a slaad and survived. He looks down and to see two bright red stripes under the tight bandages on his chest, which are definitely not what he dressed himself in this morning.
“There’ll be some scarring, but the pain will subside soon enough. Herbal remedies are the best I can do right now. Magical healing will just piss of our little buddy in you. Drink this.”
The human man hands a glass to Vernon. The glass is warm and the smell is pungent. Vernon turns to the side and retches.
“What’s going on?” The dragonborn from before marches over. “Jim, does that glass have piss in it?”
“Only a little…”
“This isn’t funny. The boy’s lost his life, can’t you see that? He doesn’t need you to be ****in’ around with his head.”
Vernon doesn’t understand. He lost his life? What does that mean?
“Slaad. Popped up and destroyed your village. Looks like you’re the last survivor. You’ll be fine, though. Just need to drink a potion we have for you. It’ll help you fight off the embryo.”
“Actually, Cap’n. The, uh, potion… He kinda spilled it onto the ground.”
“Jim, did you seriously use our last potion in your stupid practical joke.”
“I told you it was only a little pee.”
Vernon thinks it was a lot of pee, because it smelled horrible.
“Yeah, you live on trail rations for three years and see how your whiz smells.”
“Damnit, Jim. I’m a warlord, not a miracle worker. How the hell am I supposed to treat this kid without the proper medicine?”
“I dunno… Words of Inspiration?”
The dragonborn sighs. “Jim, go get Leida. I’ll need her to help me out hold him down.” As the human trudges off into the dark, the dragonborn takes off his belt. “It’s gonna be a long night, boy. Bite down on this.”

Vernon dreamed that a dragon was breathing fire into his chest. A beautiful woman was holding Vernon down while the dragon did this. The fire went into Vernon’s chest, filling his body with each breath, and frogs would burst out, which a very ugly and smelly man would hit with a club.
Vernon dreamed that he was losing control. He felt a sensation of completion and explosive release and all of the people in the dream screamed and dissolved away.
Then, he dreamed of butter.

Vernon wakes up this morning, shaking and confused. An elf, a dragonborn and a human lay around him on the ground. The bandages on his chest are torn off, the two red lines have healed, but there is a hole between them. Putting on his torn and blood-soaked shirt, Vernon picks up a stray dagger, turns and walks into the woods.

Vernon has never been so far from home.

Originally, he was made with rolled stats. Very good rolled stats. two 20s three 16s and a 12. Did it in the DMs face and he groaned like an angry camel. He's only first level, so, there isn't much to say. He multiclassed into rogue and picked up a rat familiar which is actually a tiny bit of the soul of a former Tinkerer's Guild head.

Oh, man. I think at first there was a hodgepodge of barbarians, wardens, bards and avengers. Large croup, and lots of redundancy.

My character's main role was just doing the striker thing. But, also, he was extremely well versed in the Diplomacy, Bluff and Theivery departments. He filled the missing rogue's trapsmith shoes, as well as being the young kid who doesn't know the ways of the world but is really good at convincing people to explain them.

As far as I remember it was just a plain ol' generic setting. Lots of adventurers apparently, since the eight of us all ended up in the same town's inn to get attacked by ghosts. :smalltongue:

Lost Demiurge
2009-10-14, 02:30 PM
I shall tell you of Aziz the cursed, a shiftless, unlucky miscreant who has gained a servant he was NOT prepared to gain.

Aziz is a former tomb robber, who stumbled upon a magic lamp... And broke it, in a hurried run away from the ghouled guardians of the cave. This freed the Genie inside... But since the lamp was broken, the genie was in dire straits. He has bonded with Aziz, in order to continue dwelling upon this plane. Aziz's entire life has changed since then, as any of his former fellows would now happily murder him in order to collect the djinn. He has taken up heavy drinking.

Still, there are some stranger folk out there who don't mind hiring a "treasure hunter", and find his servitor genie to be quite useful..."

Mechanically, Aziz is a protector spirit shaman with the spirit reskinned into a minor djinn. It is good at healing, and can smack his enemies. He's got two skill training feats to represent his former roguely ways (Dungeoneering and Thievery), and mostly stays in the back during combat and whimpers while the djinn goes and protects his master.

Don't know yet. See below.

Healer, with a side dish of expendable-tank, in the genie's ability to shrug off damage that doesn't pop him.

Well, he was being prepped for one where every nation on the world was busy pursuing conflicting prophecies, but that game's been put on hold. I hope to play him in a few months, once we get a proper start.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-10-14, 04:43 PM
Hey! If you are in Chris B.'s Eberron game, don't read the spoilers!

Short form: Aeriyana is a Half-Elven Barbarian of Valenarian descent.
Longer form:
Aeriyana is the bastard daughter of a Valenarian Warband Leader (mother) and a devil-may-care desert trader (father). She excelled in sports and various other competitions (and was turning out to be quite the looker) but lacked interest/skill in anything involving scimitars or horses - traditional Valenar activities. Eventually, this and the Valenar's highly traditional culture forced Aeriyana's mother to give her over to her father at the age of 16.

Her father was generous, but didn't have much interest in raising her. Instead she spent a lot of time amongst the caravan guards where her athleticism and vigor gained her a lot of respect - almost as much as her chosen weapon, the great-axe.

During the Last War, Aeriyana lost track of her father after the Mourning and took up mercenary work with a particularly fatherly caravan guard. Before leaving on the current adventure (her first solo job) he gifted her with an Executioner's Axe that he had found in the back of an Odds & Ends store.

Personality-wise, she's desperately seeking some stability and order in her life - but not one where she's at the bottom of a hierarchy! So, while she fully respects any formal structure, she is prone to challenging anyone whose "rank" is unclear. This can make her seem combative, but she is perfectly happy to follow lawful orders. Also: LN :smallbiggrin:

As a Half-Elven Thaneborn Barbarian 2, she's pretty straightforward.
STR 16, CON 15, DEX 10, INT 14, WIS 9, CHA 16
- the INT/DEX switch was intentional to let her be un-elfy, and to let me play her as pretty bright. The WIS 9, naturally, is from her hot-tempered side.

Powers: Recuperating Strike, Pressing Strike, Avalanche Strike, Rage Drake's Frenzy, and Tiger Leap.

Trained Skills: Athletics, Endurance, Nature
- pretty much dictated by my backstory; I plan on picking up Diplomacy or Intimidate later.

Weapons & Armor: Executioner Axe, Hide Armor, Javelin +1
Future plans... well, I'd like her to be a smashy-type, but I might pick up MC Warden around Paragon for the tasty Storm PP. She started at LV 1.

As you can see, she's not particularly optimized - nor will she end up as such. Still, I am keeping optimization in mind when thinking about future feat selection and magic item acquisition - it's just not my top priority.

Changeling Psionist
Kalishar Monk
Warforged Wrath Invoker
Warforged Aegis Swordmage
Human Artificer

...yeah, as you can see, she has to play primary Striker and crowd control Defender - not a position she particularly cares for.

At the moment she's trying to coordinate the Warforged into providing her with some toughness and to-hit buffs. Also trying to convince the Psionist that he's not a melee Striker :smallsigh:

Eberron

BTW - Why the survey, OP?

Raz_Fox
2009-10-14, 06:10 PM

Meet Thieran ac Telecontar - noble heir, historian, and divine warrior. Pledged to the gods of war, knowledge and larceny, his eccentric manner and fair appearance belie his warrior's heritage. He attracts attention like honey attracts ants, his black longcoat clashing with his red headband and its jaunty griffin feathers, his smile and deft tongue catching people's hearts.

Moreover, he is one of the few who still respects the heritage of the ancients - specifically, the ancient civilization of the Asurans, who he believes were the forefathers of the Eladrin. He knows enough to fill half a library, if you could catch him and sedate him enough to write that much. But you'd better hurry, because he went off that away and gods know when he'll be back.

But don't underestimate him. If you seek to hurt the innocent, chances are he knows what and who you are the moment he sees you. If you've let him catch up with you, you'll learn that the schiavona he carries isn't just the idle trophy of a jaded noble but almost an extension of his arm. He'll lash at you with graceful strokes, then let a rhyme of the Asurans escape his lips and enhance his swordplay with their ancient power, sword almost glowing green in the sudden wind. And he doesn't give second chances.

What does your character look like, mechanically:

He's a Holy Rogue-Mage Historian, of course! :smalltongue:

Actually, he's a Bard. Constitution-based, but with a higher Int than Con. Yes, I know, it's unoptimized. Like him more that way. Good boosts in combat and an unholy Diplomacy score. +12 at level 1 is nothing to be sniffed at, especially before he breaks out Words of Friendship.

And I have absolutely no clue what PP to take him into. We'll see.

What is the party your character is (currently) part of like?

- Greenhorn Elf Ranger who's obsessed with adventure Flapjack-style. Adventure!
- Veteran Dwarf Ranger who lost most of his skill and talent drowning his sorrows and is clawing himself back into the adventurer's life the hard way. Complains he's "too old for this."
- Blind Eladrin Wizard who "sees" with magic. A hermit whose wanderlust pushed her into something beyond her wildest dreams, and who is probably the only truly wise person in the group.
- ANGST-ridden Half-Elf Fighter who's not accepted in either world, who's been forced into the world of humanity and is experiencing culture shock. Likes to brood about how he could be the prophesied CHOSEN ONE OF PROPHECY.
...Okay, it's better than I make it sound. But still.

What role does your character play in the party?

Leader, both as a role and as a lifestyle choice. You don't mess around when Thieran yells orders at you - though we're going to be playing with an Elf Cleric once the DM gets out of the hospital. Loves being in the thick of the action.

Oh, and SocialMonkey. Bite my +12 Diplomacy and +10 Bluff, suckers! Oh, and did I mention that I can re-roll Bluff after preforming a quick ritual and add +5 to my Diplomacy per encounter? HA!
...Of course, his Insight is in the toilet. But still.

What campaign setting do they exist in (at the moment)?

Purely homebrew.

JMobius
2009-10-14, 06:32 PM

First, a quick explanation of one detail of the setting. After the war with the primordals, before the gods left the world largely to its inhabitants, they made a promise to the Devas: Use your immortality to grow, and gain greater wisdom and perfection. When you are ready, you will be permitted to enter the gates of heaven, and serve more directly by our side.

At the time of the game, my character is one of the few remaining devas in the world, the rest having 'ascended'. His struggle to figure out why this is, having lasted for several lifetimes, has lead to bitterness and grief. He is prone to over the top demonstrations and displays of power, in order to 'prove' to others, the gods, and himself that he is a mighty being that is surely worthy of ascension.

The company of others of his kind lacking, he spends his days in the company of incarnation-long friends, following them on their journey, in the hopes of meeting that last noble challenge that will finally prove his worth.

He's completely missed the point.

Invoker, built with the character builder, but I don't have it on hand. He is a child of Pelor, and so has a strong preference for Fire and Radiant powers. In addition, anything with psychic that has a theme of enhancing Intimidate or general 'presence' is good. Within these constraints, he's moderately optimized.

We were explicitly disallowed from communicating with one another about our characters during creation. I don't like that move, but we ended up with a decent party despite: A cleric, a ranger, a shaman, and a swordmage who was later retconned as a rogue. Of these, my character is generally at odds with the cleric, who tries to approach all situations diplomatically. He's also a frequent tool of the rogue, who regularly tricks the deva into applying the intimidation in ways he finds advantageous. The other two... don't interact with them much.

Our player group kind of lacks significant cohesion, so this unfortunately tends to be something of a crapshoot.

The one the GM made up. Fairly bog standard fare.

There are three major countries: One made up of undead, one by an immortal tyrant who is benevolent but stern, and one as an anarchic host of noble houses secretly puppet mastered by one of them. All three are cast in shades of grey, which gets a bit tiresome when there's no one actually worth supporting...