PDA

View Full Version : Protoss d20

imp_fireball
2009-10-10, 08:08 PM
Protoss Khalai (commoner)
Large Humanoid (light protoss)
Hit Dice 3d8+3 + 1d4+1 (20 hp)
Speed 60ft. (6 large 10ft.x10ft. squares)
Initiative: +0
Armor Class 11; touch 10; flat-footed 11
(Natural Armor +1)
Base Attack/Grapple +2/+8
Attack Standard attack khalai claw +4 (1d4+2, 20/x2)
Full-Attack Full attack khalai claw +4 (1d4+2, 20/x2)
Space 10ft.; Reach 10ft.
Special Attacks Powers
Special Qualities Khala, Telepathy 60ft., Psi Sense, Manifester Levels, Wild Talent, Endurance
Saves Fort +3 Ref +3 Will +5
Abilities Str 14, Dex 10, Con 15, Int 11, Wis 13, Cha 8
Skills Autohypnosis +5, Survival +5, Profession: (insert Khalai occupation here) +5
Feats Iron Will, Narrow Mind
Environment Any, Aiur (jungle) or Shakuras (dry tundra)
Organisation Protoss of Aiur and the Conclave (entire government); usually group that includes higher level Khalai with up to three more levels in commoner (8 - 300+)
Challenge Rating 2
Treasure Standard; typical protoss civilian hardware
Alignment Usually Lawful (any)
Advancement by character class; Favored Class Any Psionic
Level Adjustment +2

Combat

Khalai, like most commoner humanoids, are generally not obliged to fight, however if pressed to do so, they fight with unbridled ferocity while making use of whatever psychic powers their wild talent and manifester levels offer them.

Protoss Khalai represent the entirety of the workforce of the Protoss of Aiur. Protoss in general are long and lithe, with varying skin tones, some scaled and others smooth. Protoss have no facial features - aside from the odd ridges and sometimes bony 'crowns' - except for large luminescent eyes. Protoss cannot speak and do not eat and instead communicate telepathically. The Protoss of Aiur are all interlinked via a psychic network known only as the 'Khala', upon a depth which few other races can imagine or approach (even psychic ones).
In general, all Protoss are stoic, graceful, but practically robotic in mannerisms. Most, if not all, behave in a powerfully logical manner and habitually think ahead - although sometimes they forget to request input from other species and as such are often viewed as arrogant in this sense.

Protoss lead a simple life, less vibrant and varied than what terrans have to offer in art and entertainment and more traditionally immersed. Servants are painfully loyal. Protoss generally range from 7 - 9ft. tall but are very lanky. One of their most distinctive features apart from humans (aside from their mysterious wild talent), are their hands which feature two thumbs and two fingers, as well as their three hearts. Because Protoss do not speak, they begin knowing only their own language which can only be communicated telepathically. Even though they may not understand the languages of others, they are able to communicate via psychic emotions and imagery complex enough that a sapient creature can take instruction, but not those with intelligence of 2 or less (does not function as wild empathy). Protoss do not eat, but sleep and breathe. At GM discretion, a protoss must be immersed in sunlight as often as a human eats and drinks and for as long or they will starve/dehydrate as a human does. Although protoss lack typical facial features such as ears and noses, they can still smell (via some other means) and make listen checks ordinarily (by way of hearing and a combination of psychics via some other means), however they cannot taste.

Light Protoss

Light Protoss have the following racial features:

- +4 STR, +4 CON, +2 WIS, -2 CHA

Not only are Protoss naturally strong, but the combined might of their three hearts offer great vitality. They have a tendency to think ahead and be aware of the state of others and of their minds but their stoic and direct nature leaves something to be desired upon first impressions.

- Protoss sleep and breathe. Going without direct exposure to sunlight will cause them to dehydrate as humans do, with the exception that their dehydration does not vary in accordance to climate.

- Size Large

- Natural Armor +1

- Slight Build - Treat as one size smaller whenever it is beneficial to a Light Protoss.

- Khala (Ex)

The Khala is a great union of all Light Protoss minds. Protoss are always aware of one another up to several miles, provided the participants are willing. If one is not flatfooted towards a creature, none of them are (for player purposes, a GM should never consider a protoss PC flat footed towards one creature except in special situations; ie. a creature that has evaded the minds of every light protoss). Protoss receive a +16 to diplomacy checks when interacting with other Light Protoss. Finally, a Light Protoss can communicate and share vision and hearing with any other Light Protoss within 1000 miles, but must take a standard action to 'single them out' amidst the flurry of other interlinked minds.

- Telepathy 60ft. (Ps)

Protoss can read the minds of any sapient creature (creature with higher than 2 int) as ordinary telepathy. By taking a standard action to concentrate, they also receive a +6 to sense motive checks against a specific creature that is within range of their telepathy, even if the creature can find a way to conceal their thoughts.

A protoss can also make a listen check to pin point the location of a specific creature that they hear via telepathy (as normal rules for pin-pointing location via listen), with no penalties due to range.

- Psi Sense (Ex)

Protoss can sense the presence of psychic emissions and of other psychic creatures up to several miles (Khala range) - they can discern the location of a psychic creature, however they must know something distinctive about that specific creature (such as name or physical appearance). Assuming these requirements are met, a Protoss can know the location of that creature. A Protoss emits 'detect psionics' as a continuous aura that can be activated/de-activated at will (free action on their turn), at a range of 120ft.

- Manifester Levels

Light Protoss are natural psionists whose ancestors have attuned themselves to an entire way of life revolving around this supernatural capability. All protoss are treated as having at least two manifester levels, regardless of HD or class. They may also select powers as if having two levels in a psychic class of their choice (but no other features of the class) upon taking a level in said class.

- Wild Talent

Light Protoss have 'Wild Talent' as the feat descriptor in the D20SRD.

- Endurance

Light Protoss have 'Endurance' as the feat descriptor in the D20SRD.

Protoss rarely tire before others.

- LA +2
-------

Zealot
Templar 'Zealot' Armor
Type: Medium
AC: +5
Special: Plasma Shields, Servos

In order to wear zealot armor, the user must have at least two manifester levels and the wild talent feat (Use Psionic Device DC 25 to mimic requirements each time armor is donned). Zealot armor is typically sized for large bipedal humanoid creatures with two arms and one head.

Plasma Shields grant temporary hp equivalent to the wearer's total hp or their wisdom score (whatever is highest) and recover at a rate of 1 hp/round. Whenever temporary hp granted by shields is greater then 0 and the shield is active, the wearer is treated as a construct, whenever it would be beneficial to them. Sometimes the armor is simply outfitted with a stock of 50 temporary hp for initiate users.

Servos: Despite being medium armor, this armor does not penalize base move speed.
-----

If Wielder takes Armor Focus (Templar 'Zealot' Armor), then they may make a free bullrush attempt that does not provoke attacks of opportunity against any attack that hits but fails to reduce temporary hp granted by their shields to 0. Use wisdom modifier instead of strength modifier for this check. Do not move with the target. If pushed more then 10ft., target must succeed on a balance check of DC 10 + 1/4 damage they dealt to shields or fall prone.

Psi-Blades
Type: Exotic
Size: Light
Dmg(large): 1d8 Fire and Slashing or Fire and Piercing, 19-20/x2
Special: Worn as bracers, Paired, Ignores up to 8 Hardness

Wielder must have at least two manifester levels and wild talent, or the blades do not activate. While worn, blades can be drawn as a free action on wielder's turn. While they count as light weapons, they are worn as bracers and do not occupy the hands. Note that attacking with a bracer that is worn on the same arm as the off-hand counts as attacking with the off-hand, and the same goes for those worn on the main hand.

Sundering the blade means sundering the bracer instead. Disarming the blade means removing the bracer (incur modifiers for such), etc.

Paired: Psi-blades are purchased in twos. Two bracers that can be mentally commanded into two blades, are given at purchase.

Protoss Zealot
Prerequisite: Must be Light Protoss, BAB +3

Zealots are proficient with psi blades and Templar 'Zealot' Armor and nothing more.

BAB: Full
Saves: Good Will and Reflex
HD: d10

1st Level: A zealot acquires two weapon fighting as the feat. Wis modifier adds to touch, flatfooted and total AC.

2nd Level: Choose one psychic warrior power to become at-will. Treat manifester level as levels in psychic warrior for purpose of meeting power prerequisites (level 2 powers require 3 levels in psychic warrior, etc.).

3rd Level: Ambidexterous. Flurry of Blades: Zealot can attack once more at full BAB with both their off-hand and main hand during a full attack action.

4th level: Choose one psychic warrior power to become at-will. Treat manifester level as levels in psychic warrior for purpose of meeting power prerequisites (level 2 powers require 3 levels in psychic warrior, etc.). Bonus feat (from psychic warrior list).

5th level: Psychic Frenzy 1/day - Add wisdom modifier to attack, damage and bonus hp/HD (wisdom modifier times HD, as if it were a constitution bonus); automatically regain psionic focus at beginning of every turn during psychic frenzy; lasts for 5 rounds + Con modifier.

Alternative: Make these feats or variant features of psychic warrior?

imp_fireball
2010-06-21, 06:01 PM
Bump, because this needs PEACHing!

Mystic Muse
2010-07-10, 12:17 AM
Okay, it looks like the post is before Necromancy so here it goes.

1. The blades don't translate well to D&D. They'd bypass hardness entirely.
2. Change telepathy and slight build into class features to to try and remove some of the LA. Make it more playable.
3. Detect Psionics is generally a supernatural ability. If it is you need to say so, and if it isn't, you need to say so.
4. +16 on diplomacy checks in any situation is too powerful. You should probably remove this.
5. The armor is way too strong. Temporary HP equal to your total? If my current guy were a protoss he'd have 150 temporary Hp. How about equal to the lower between HP total and wisdom modifier?
6. The Psy blades as written seem weak. They deal 1d8 damage and that's all? With other swords you at least get your strength modifier.
7. Does the Protoss have 3 hit dice or 4? I can't tell what that 1d4+1 is doing there.

imp_fireball
2010-07-10, 04:12 AM
Okay, it looks like the post is before Necromancy so here it goes.

1. The blades don't translate well to D&D. They'd bypass hardness entirely.
2. Change telepathy and slight build into class features to to try and remove some of the LA. Make it more playable.
3. Detect Psionics is generally a supernatural ability. If it is you need to say so, and if it isn't, you need to say so.
4. +16 on diplomacy checks in any situation is too powerful. You should probably remove this.
5. The armor is way too strong. Temporary HP equal to your total? If my current guy were a protoss he'd have 150 temporary Hp. How about equal to the lower between HP total and wisdom modifier?
6. The Psy blades as written seem weak. They deal 1d8 damage and that's all? With other swords you at least get your strength modifier.
7. Does the Protoss have 3 hit dice or 4? I can't tell what that 1d4+1 is doing there.

1. They're exotic. Plus they are meant to bypass hardness. They are generally for carving up vehicles. Plus, you have to be psionic to use them. Also, sunder rules as written don't really award you for wielding a one handed weapon, so I personally think that's okay.

2. Alternatively, I could convert the entire creature into a monster class, using the methods in those other threads.

3. Fair enough.

4. It's only against others of the same race as them. They aren't really meant to square off against others of their own race. The GM can easily offer them another threat besides another member of their own race. And yes, even those of drastically different alignments can get along. Moral quandaries are pretty much pushed aside. Also, they aren't human. Finally, diplomacy is overrated - it takes 5 minutes to affect the attitude of a creature, and a GM can easily find a way to interrupt this at any time.

5. I guess it could equal total hp up to X (for +1 enhancement), up to Y (for +2 enhancement). Each value would increase the more expensive or 'higher quality' armor you wish to purchase.

How about equal to the lower between HP total and wisdom modifier?

I don't really know what this means, could you expand on your point? If it's just wisdom modifier, then it's not very much temporary hp (+5 max at around ECL 3). Unless you mean wisdom score or total hp, whichever is lower (rather then 'whichever is higher'). Alternatively, I could say it'd be equal to total hp, but only while wearer is psionically focused.

6. Forgot strength modifier. Will add it in.

7. The +1d4 is commoner hit die. The protoss used to have humanoid levels, but I took them away. The protoss in the stat block is a little wonky in that sense - we could assume he maxed out the light protoss monster class, perhaps?
-------

What about PEACHing the zealot? Also, thanks for being the first to respond to this thread in months. :smallannoyed:

Mystic Muse
2010-07-10, 04:28 AM
I don't really know what this means, could you expand on your point? If it's just wisdom modifier, then it's not very much temporary hp (+5 max at around ECL 3). Unless you mean wisdom score or total hp, whichever is lower (rather then 'whichever is higher'). Alternatively, I could say it'd be equal to total hp, but only while wearer is psionically focused. I think I phrased that badly. I meant the lower between your wisdom total and HP total. Not wisdom modifier.

What about PEACHing the zealot? Also, thanks for being the first to respond to this thread in months. :smallannoyed:

Hmm.looking at the class it seems Good. No real complaints. Although, it'd be nice if you could turn it into a table like most other classes.

Does it advance manifester level? that might make it a bit strong.

As for being the first one to comment in months, thank your lucky stars that somebody necroed that "Protoss versus federation" thread or I'd never have come across here. I was reading that thread and thinking "Holy crap these guys are awesome!" and decided to look for homebrew.:smallbiggrin:

And if you want to convert the entire thing into a class that's fine.

imp_fireball
2010-07-10, 04:39 AM
And if you want to convert the entire thing into a class that's fine.

I was actually hoping I wouldn't have to. Protoss zealots have a few unique defining abilities - enough to warrant 5 levels of a PRC maybe, but the rest would be supplemented by existing classes.

As for manifester level progression, maybe 2/3 or 1/2?

Coming up next are also high templar - I'm uncertain about this, it could just be something like an Enigma although I don't if the powers fit right; note that I do plan on creating new powers demonstrated in the starcraft universe. Dark templar might be a minor PRC based off the lurk (mainly they're useful for 'greater invisibility' and proficiency with warp blades).

The 'powers at will' are there since the zealot usually demonstrates only one or two abilities. In SC 2 they demonstrate the psionic lion's charge. Their attack animation involves swiftly jabbing their blades (at least in SC 1), hence why I gave them a boosted number of attacks, etc.

And 'leg augments' upgrade (SC 1; increased zealot move speed) is a cybernetic graft.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-10, 04:58 AM
As for manifester level progression, maybe 2/3 or 1/2?

I'd say 1/2 but maybe somebody else will say differently. I just feel like they get a lot of nice stuff in 5 levels.

imp_fireball
2010-07-10, 05:06 AM
I'd say 1/2 but maybe somebody else will say differently. I just feel like they get a lot of nice stuff in 5 levels.

I always thought psychic warrior powers stunk though. :smalltongue:

Mystic Muse
2010-07-10, 05:08 AM
I always thought psychic warrior powers stunk though. :smalltongue:

Really? I thought that was soul knives. I'm probably wrong though.

Oslecamo
2010-07-11, 04:49 AM
1. They're exotic. Plus they are meant to bypass hardness. They are generally for carving up vehicles. Plus, you have to be psionic to use them. Also, sunder rules as written don't really award you for wielding a one handed weapon, so I personally think that's okay.

Or perhaps zealots aren't anti-tank troops, but are rather anti-infantry troops meant to slice up enemy infantry, while the heavy artillery like the dragoons and stalkers take care of enemy vehicles. In the original game, they actualy do reduced damage against enemies larger than themselves. In SC2 they don't gain any bonus against vehicles.

4. It's only against others of the same race as them. They aren't really meant to square off against others of their own race. The GM can easily offer them another threat besides another member of their own race. And yes, even those of drastically different alignments can get along. Moral quandaries are pretty much pushed aside. Also, they aren't human.
Go play the SC campaign. There's plenty of inner protoss conflict. Heck, at one point the protoss are willing to ally with the zergs to fight other protosses!

Finally, diplomacy is overrated - it takes 5 minutes to affect the attitude of a creature, and a GM can easily find a way to interrupt this at any time.

You can do it as a fullround action by taking a penalty.

5. I guess it could equal total hp up to X (for +1 enhancement), up to Y (for +2 enhancement). Each value would increase the more expensive or 'higher quality' armor you wish to purchase.

Do notice that protoss shields are stronger depending on the will of the user. Zealots actualy have less shield than HP. Plus the shields are suposed to regenerate fast. As it stands there's no way for you to recover the temporary HP of the armor.

Well honestly it doesn't seem very good in my opinion. No table and no skill points for starters. You offer no real advantages to two weapon fighting in the begginning and then the last levels make it kinda of a two trick pony.

Did I mention that protosses are actualy larger than humans yet you give them shligt build? Or that they don't actualy need to eat or breath? They don't even have mouths or noses!

Basically, I love the protoss and they happen to have a caste system and other important details you leave out in this work. Here's the wiki for plenty of details. (http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Protoss) Mind you I've been planning to do D&D protoss for plenty of time now and this thread may give me the push for finally puting something out, if I can find time from my monster thread tough.

I always thought psychic warrior powers stunk though.

Well if you want to pretend to be a controler wizard then yes they suck.

If you want to be a melee dude they rock hard. Psychic warriors are one of if not the strongest melee class in all of D&D except in terms of durability as they burn trough PP rather fast if they want to use their full power.

imp_fireball
2010-07-11, 05:02 AM
Go play the SC campaign. There's plenty of inner protoss conflict. Heck, at one point the protoss are willing to ally with the zergs to fight other protosses!

Granted, this is at a time of crisis where the entire planet is in jeopardy from the zerg (also much of that was because of kerrigan feigning innocence and then tricking them all - when they fought each other, they didn't have much time to talk and Aldaris was never given a chance to speak before dyin' from kerrigan's lurkers). Also, you may be referring to the distrust between them and the dark protoss (dark protoss don't have khala connection).

In the lore, the protoss didn't war for over 1000 years or so (all because of the khala and it was only until the dark protoss began cutting their nerve cords that disarray started anew). That's a pretty darn long time, something which no human alliance could ever achieve.

Or perhaps zealots aren't anti-tank troops, but are rather anti-infantry troops meant to slice up enemy infantry, while the heavy artillery like the dragoons and stalkers take care of enemy vehicles. In the original game, they actualy do reduced damage against enemies larger than themselves. In SC2 they don't gain any bonus against vehicles.

Vehicles in the SC universe generally have more than 8 hardness. Plus, dragoons and stalkers do a lot of damage - infantry have an easier time making reflex saves since they are on their feet (for vehicles, it'd be like avoiding a hazard). Zealots can do away vehicles in seconds when in groups.

Protoss don't eat or breathe

I think it's safe to assume that they breathe unless the wiki specifically says otherwise. Also, they don't eat, but they do require sunlight or they'll dehydrate (which I've already listed).

Did I mention that protosses are actualy larger than humans yet you give them shligt build?

Justified. Protoss are tall and limber. They have all the advantages of being large and then some (without slight build, they'd feel clumsier, what with the size penalty to AC, escape artist, and hide (dark templar need to be stealthy), etc.).

and other important details you leave out in this work.

Do tell what. This is hardly finished anyway.

Plus the shields are suposed to regenerate fast. As it stands there's no way for you to recover the temporary HP of the armor.

I said 1/round. Shield recovery is quite slow in-game. You're confusing this with Halo where shields recover quite quickly when not being shot at.