PDA

View Full Version : [2E]Fave characters

Froogleyboy
2009-10-10, 08:48 PM
What are your favorite Second edition AD&D characters you've ever played?

Matthew
2009-10-10, 09:27 PM
As in particular characters, or race/class/kit combinations? Assuming the former, I have fond memories of four surviving player characters:

1) Quintas, 9th Level Elf Magician in Greyhawk.
2) Darius, 6th Level Human Paladin in the Forgotten Realms.
3) Rovin, 6th Level Halfling Thief in Mystara.
4) Baelthos "The Brick", 6th Level Dwarf Fighter in Ravenloft.

Quintas was slightly unusual in that we prevailed upon the game master to allow him to use sword and bow without being a fighter/thief, not that he ever managed to contribute much by means of them. His fellow adventurers were a gang of ne'er-do-wells, and he was no better, really, being chaotic neutral. He started a cult in the city of Greyhawk to see if he could "create" a deity by the power of belief, which seemed to succeed. Of course, he was deceived, as an actual deity (possibly Iuz, my memory fails me) or one of his servants subverted the cult by posing as its "created" divinity, and Quintas lost control of the situation.

Probably my favourite moment was when the party was charged with obtaining certain papers from a heavily fortified dungeon, and he bypassed the whole adventure by polymorphing everybody into fleas and riding an orc (possibly charmed) to the desired location. The game master was none too pleased, and we had to fight our way out, but that was a great moment for my early teen self. I believe he built himself a stronghold in the vicinity of the free city and still resides there now. I am considering making him an NPC patron in my Castle Zagyg campaign.

Too late in the evening to go on about the others, might have some time tomorrow!

Remmirath
2009-10-11, 01:05 AM
Well, I never played second edition specifically, but I played a sort of mixed first/second edition for a long time (we had mismatched manuals, so... yeah). I'm going to say it counts.
The world we played in was a bit odd. All these characters were in same mostly continuous campaign, though they were at different times. (Nerone, Nedla and Richter were in more or less the same campaign, Lothill was significantly after them, and Tajnoshi was mostly removed from the others.)

1: Nerone, level 10 kalonian thief.
2: Nedla, level 7 human cleric.
3: Lothill, level 7 elf magic-user.
4: Richter, level 6 kalonian paladin.
5: Tajnoshi, level 8/7 (maybe?) Rakshasa cleric/illusionist.

Nerone was probably the first character I really fleshed out from the beginning, and so I'll always remember him fondly. He was mostly a rather selfish chaotic neutral, but he had some occasional noble impulses. He had delusions that he could actually fight beyond backstabbing, but he couldn't. This often got him into trouble.
When last seen, he had become the King of a strange underwater city after assassinating the old King and talking them into accepting him as their new ruler instead of killing him. He also had an enmity with Juiblex which had not yet caught up to him when we stopped playing the game.

Nedla was the first character I ever made, who I originally wanted to be a paladin but her stats weren't good enough. It turned out to be just as well, though, as she became increasingly un-paladin-like as I developed her character. She was good, but far from lawful. She was really not a very good cleric and probably died the most of any of my characters, but I liked her.
When last seen she had escaped the destruction of her home continent and was living in a fortress on a distant island with her magic-user friend Retikeer.

Lothill was a bit bumbling at times. One time he accidentally killed all the prisoners we were trying to save by throwing a fireball into a room that the other party magic-user had already cast web on, and the DM ruled that it caught the web on fire and burned them all in their chains. Despite such things, he was very good intentioned.
He eventually died at the hands of a snake cult after accidentally surprising them into fighting them when we were supposed to be negotiating with them. They attempted to resurrect him, but he failed his system shock.

Richter... had an unfortunate end. He was easily the most effective character I ever made in first/second edition, and was a fairly good paladin (if a bit withdrawn and taciturn). He died when the party magic-user decided it would be a great idea to summon a water elemental to speed up the travel time on the ocean, and then she lost control of the elemental and it sunk the boat. He didn't manage to swim in his full plate mail, and thus drowned. Probably one of the more ignominious character deaths I've had, at least that I can remember. :smallbiggrin:

Tajnoshi was a character created specifically for an all-Rakshasa campaign. I don't recall why any more, as it was a rather long time ago, but he was an interesting character to play. He was a cleric of Ravanna, I believe, but he made more use of his illusions. The campaign he was in ended with a battle between Ravanna and one other god (forget which one at the moment). They ended up being locked in an eternal struggle, and ... I really should remember for sure what happened after that, but I don't. I think he ended up going on a quest for an item that would help Ravanna win, but I'm pretty fuzzy on the details now. :smallsigh:

Those are the ones that stand out. I'm sure if I thought about it more I could come up with a couple more, but those would be the top favourites anyhow.