PDA

View Full Version : Feats to increase my bluff

Berserk Monk
2009-10-11, 12:51 AM
As the title says, I'm looking for feats that will give me pluses to bluff. I've already taken three: two in the PHB (skill focus bluff and I think the other ones called persuasive, not entirely sure though) and one from Song and Silence (I think it's called charlatan), but I need my bluff to be insanely high.

Milskidasith
2009-10-11, 12:53 AM
Feats aren't the way to go for high bluff.

Buy items instead.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-11, 12:57 AM
Feats aren't the way to go for high bluff.

Buy items instead.

My character's not in a town and doesn't have access to buying magical items. Besides, I'm looking for feats as the thread says.

Grushvak
2009-10-11, 01:03 AM
I'm certain you already considered investing in UMD for scrolls of Glibness, so I'll move on to something else.

I remember making a mostly social skillmonkey quite a while back with high Diplomacy and Bluff. I took a PrC from BoVD, I think it was Disciple of Baalzebul, that added your int modifier to bluff. I can't be sure because it's been two years at least.

Also, the Mindbender PrC can boost your bluff skill, though I don't remember if it allows you to exceed the maximum ranks in a skill.

That's all I can think of right now. Sorry, I can't verify anything, my books aren't here.

EDIT: I know that these aren't feats, but I thought they might be worth looking into anyway. Can't help you as far as feats go, sorry.

Mordokai
2009-10-11, 01:13 AM
I remember making a mostly social skillmonkey quite a while back with high Diplomacy and Bluff. I took a PrC from BoVD, I think it was Disciple of Baalzebul, that added your int modifier to bluff. I can't be sure because it's been two years at least.

I'll pipe in just long enough to confirm that this is, in fact, true. Disciple of Baalzebul lets you add your INT and CHA modifiers to Bluff. I just checked.

sofawall
2009-10-11, 01:30 AM
My character's not in a town and doesn't have access to buying magical items. Besides, I'm looking for feats as the thread says.

Even you did say feat were what you were looking for, classes do it very well as well.

Hmm, people are posting classes and items, not feats. I suspect there aren't many feats.

Sliver
2009-10-11, 02:22 AM
Not a feat, but there is a trait that gives you bluff in exchange for diplomacy..

Krazddndfreek
2009-10-11, 02:30 AM
There's also that one skillmonkey PrC. Where all you do is focus on a select few skills and gain mad bonuses on them. Its called... *Checks in CAd* Exemplar. Although for some reason it has 6 ranks in diplomacy as a prereq. Though it also requires 13 in any other skill as well as Skill Focus. It also (sorta) benefits from a decent Int score.

Temet Nosce
2009-10-11, 02:33 AM
The feat Rapscallion, from Dragon Magazine 315 lets you add Int to Bluff.

Edit: Also, Cosmopolitan from Players Guide to Faerun grants a +2.

Grushvak
2009-10-11, 02:38 AM
Makes me wonder what's the highest bluff modifier one could get. Depending on DM's interpretation of the skill text, one could probably get away with ANYTHING at the cost of a +20 DC modifier. Glibness alone gives you 10 more than that: no way anybody's going to succeed at a sense motive check against a character with optimized bluff.

It's no Diplomancy overpowered, but it's pretty easy to abuse nonetheless.

Temet Nosce
2009-10-11, 02:41 AM
Makes me wonder what's the highest bluff modifier one could get. Depending on DM's interpretation of the skill text, one could probably get away with ANYTHING at the cost of a +20 DC modifier. Glibness alone gives you 10 more than that: no way anybody's going to succeed at a sense motive check against a character with optimized bluff.

It's no Diplomancy overpowered, but it's pretty easy to abuse nonetheless.

Yeah, Glibness is beautiful and that's before we start with the custom item of +30 to bluff. I ran a Beguiler like that once, drove my DM nuts. The level I got Glibness I managed to convince a kingdom that I was heir to a title, land, and my own castle.

Grushvak
2009-10-11, 02:45 AM
Yeah, Glibness is beautiful and that's before we start with the custom item of +30 to bluff. I ran a Beguiler like that once, drove my DM nuts. The level I got Glibness I managed to convince a kingdom that I was heir to a title, land, and my own castle.

I'd go with sillier stuff. Like, for instance, explaining to a kobold that platinum will rain from the sky if they stab their neighbor. Or, even better, convincing people at a merchant's league gathering that the floor is lava (you all played this game when you were kids, admit it).

Berserk Monk
2009-10-11, 04:09 AM
Just found another feat in Book of Exalted Deeds: Nymph's Kiss, +2 to all cha related checks, not to mention some other good stuff. Oh, and Rapscallion, what else does it do? I don't have that issue of Dragon so could you please describe all the awesome stuff feat gives you (is it basically int to bluff like you said, or is there exact wording I should about the feat description and what are the requirements).

Toliudar
2009-10-11, 04:50 AM
Assuming you're playing a spellcaster, but not a bard, check on your DM's interpretation of the "Extra Spell" feat. If they'll allow you to take Glibness off of the bard (or beguiler) spell list, you're set.

daggaz
2009-10-11, 05:01 AM
Technically you can buy a mundane master work item for 50gp that gives a +2 circumstance bonus to a specific skill check. An easy DM will just let you ride the mechanical wave and write down "MW item to bluff check, +2".. a lot of other DMs will require you to find some feasably acceptable item which induces all kinds of limitations in the case of something like bluff.

Still, cant hurt to ask. Maybe its a "slick hat of style" or if its more specific, "a medal or other insignia" which gives the bonus only when dealing with citizens of one or another kingdom, etc..

Temet Nosce
2009-10-11, 11:37 AM
Just found another feat in Book of Exalted Deeds: Nymph's Kiss, +2 to all cha related checks, not to mention some other good stuff. Oh, and Rapscallion, what else does it do? I don't have that issue of Dragon so could you please describe all the awesome stuff feat gives you (is it basically int to bluff like you said, or is there exact wording I should about the feat description and what are the requirements).

It has an Int 13 requirement (and it's a regional feat - so that may be a problem if your DM doesn't skip that stuff). The wording is "In addition to your Charisma modifier, add your Intelligence modifier on all Bluff checks."

Zaq
2009-10-11, 01:28 PM
Incarnum makes everything better.

Shape Soulmeld: Silvertongue Mask will give you a +2 insight bonus to Bluff (and Diplomacy), and if you can get more Essentia (via more Incarnum feats, levels in meldshaping classes, your race, or certain spells) you'll gain another +2 per essentia you put into it.

BenTheJester
2009-10-11, 01:36 PM

{Scrubbed}

sofawall
2009-10-11, 01:52 PM
The guy seems to already be in a campaign, so he probably can't take Nymph's Kiss, it being a lvl 1 only feat.

Umm, he is the guy in question.

BenTheJester
2009-10-11, 02:02 PM
ouch :smalltongue:

sorry.

nargbop
2009-10-11, 03:49 PM
Magic items are the best and easiest ways of getting a higher bluff check. You get +30 untyped from drinking a potion of Glibness, and can have a crafter make an item of up to +30 competence bonus. This costs your character only money and patience, uses nothing except the rules found in the DMG.

Feats don't get you far with increasing the raw number on your Bluff check. You can do more fun stuff with the Bluff check you've already got using skill tricks and circumstantial feats - see Complete Souncrel and Player's Handbook II for these.

Several classes give bonusses to your social skills, including Spymaster and Mindbender.

The (evil) Disciple of Baalzebul PrC from Book of Vile Darkness grants INT as well as CHA to your Bluff checks.
The Factotum class from Dungeonscape allows you to add your class level to any skill check - this is probably not an option for your established character, but is worth looking into for a future character.
The Marshal class from Miniatures Handbook gives you auras to help every ally (including yourself) on certain checks. The relavant one adds your CHA bonus (again) to your Bluff check. It's a little silly fluff-wise to use it for Bluffing, but hey, it's a silly game.

In general, when looking to optimize a particular skill, Google is an excellent resource.

Thurbane
2009-10-11, 08:44 PM
Leadership? Get a cohort who can cast Eagle's Splendor, and also "aid another" on bluff checks.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-11, 09:24 PM
Well, I was kind of hoping for feats. I know there are a lot of other ways to up the bluff and I plan to use them, but the character I'm making is going to be nothing but a lying machine that can convince you of anything so I'm just wondering what feats will help me do this.

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-11, 09:24 PM
Leadership? Get a cohort who can cast Eagle's Splendor, and also "aid another" on bluff checks.

Marshal/Bard cohort. Get his Cha and spells to your Bluff.