PDA

View Full Version : Other Archomentals?

Cyanidesoul
2009-10-11, 01:43 AM
So there's Imix, Olhydra, Yan-c-bin, Ogremoch, and Cryonax (Dragon #347). But what about ooze, magma, or even quasi elemental archomentals? I think it would be interesting to see some of the various para/quasi elemental planes get a being not unlike the 5 main princes of elemental evil. I remember hearing somewhere that some of the planes also have mephit "lords" of some degree of power... Has anyone ever developed and statted out any other archomental powers (not on the scale of Gods, of course)?

Zaydos
2009-10-11, 01:47 AM
I started too once, gave up and never continued. I'd like to see them though.

Also in a later issue Dragon showed the good archomentals for the primary elements but didn't even have an ice one.

arguskos
2009-10-11, 04:08 AM
There are several archomentals whom are named. Stats are never given however.

The "Evil" Ones: Imix, Olhydra, Yan-C-Bin, and Ogremoch are the four classical elements. Cyronax is also given as an evil prince of ice.

The "Good" Ones: Zaaman-Rul, Ben Hadar, Chan, and Entemoch/Sunnis (prince and princess) are their good counterparts, respectively.

The unaligned prices are Bwimb (prince of ooze), Chlimbia (prince of magma) and Ehkahk (prince of smoke). These three are from the 2nd Ed Manuel of the Planes.

I also believe that the folks over at Planeswalker.com might have done something about statting out a few archo's, but no guarantees, it's been awhile since I've looked. :smallwink:

Innis Cabal
2009-10-11, 04:11 AM
Dragon Mag had all the evil ones stated up. Forget the number, but I own it

arguskos
2009-10-11, 04:16 AM
Really? Damn, I need to find it. I loooove the archomentals as an idea, but they just aren't fleshed out enough for me. :smallamused:

Zaydos
2009-10-11, 04:27 AM

It's in the OP; Dragon #347. They did the same for good archomentals I forget when. The evil ones were also in the original Fiend Folio (AD&D) and good and evil were in the Planescape Monstrous Compendium III (2e)

The unaligned prices are Bwimb (prince of ooze), Chlimbia (prince of magma) and Ehkahk (prince of smoke). These three are from the 2nd Ed Manuel of the Planes.

I thought these were only self-proclaimed elemental lords who lacked the power of a true archomental and at least some were mephits (and completely forgot magma). Might be wrong, I had the 2e Planeswalker's Guidebook but looked at it in half a dozen years. I'd love to see flavor and stats for them though.

Innis Cabal
2009-10-11, 04:28 AM
I'll search for the issue when i've had some sleep and post it up :smallwink:

arguskos
2009-10-11, 04:30 AM
I thought these were only self-proclaimed elemental lords who lacked the power of a true archomental and at least some were mephits (and completely forgot magma). Might be wrong, I had the 2e Planeswalker's Guidebook but looked at it in half a dozen years. I'd love to see flavor and stats for them though.
IIRC, those three call themselves archomentals, and no one really has managed to disprove that so far. They seem powerful and scary enough, with amazing amounts of power in their realms. Then again, there is little to nothing known about them really, so it's up in the air. They appeared in the Manuel of the Planes, as I recall.

Zaydos
2009-10-11, 04:37 AM
IIRC, those three call themselves archomentals, and no one really has managed to disprove that so far. They seem powerful and scary enough, with amazing amounts of power in their realms. Then again, there is little to nothing known about them really, so it's up in the air. They appeared in the Manuel of the Planes, as I recall.

Neat, I just had three of the monster compendiums, the basic box, and the planeswalker's guide. I one time saw the Planes of Law on Amazon for 2 bucks, wish I'd gotten it now (archons yay). Oh yes and the Blood War box. I liked Planescape, it was an interesting setting but I never got to play it.

arguskos
2009-10-11, 04:53 AM
Neat, I just had three of the monster compendiums, the basic box, and the planeswalker's guide. I one time saw the Planes of Law on Amazon for 2 bucks, wish I'd gotten it now (archons yay). Oh yes and the Blood War box. I liked Planescape, it was an interesting setting but I never got to play it.
My apologies, I did some digging, and according to the planewalker.com Denizens of the Inner Planes supplement (third party, yes, but they seem to have their facts straightish; also, great supplement, go get it :smallwink:) those other three are detailed as follows (also, it gives a TEMPLATE to make archomentals with!!):
-Chlimbia is a magma mephit, who learned torture from a pit fiend, and thus gained power.
-Ehkahk is a smoke mephit.
-Bwimb is dead, slain by Orcus when he became Tenebrous for a short period of time. Bwimb II, the original's daughter, gained power when her father was killed. The current guess is that she's not just a mephit, but no one really knows for sure.

Also, in the description of the quasi-elementals, the supplement makes mention of several other elemental rulers (the only source given is for the elementals themselves, the Planescape Monstrous Compendium 3; I have no idea if these are legit or just made up, but they're damn cool):
-Alu Kang Sang, the Wind of Destruction, is a dust quasi-elemental warlord.
-Gazra, the Shifting Emperor, is the king of the ash quasi-elementals, and it is said he is close to becoming a true archomental.
-Crystalle of the mineral quasi-elementals, who is said to be an archomental true.

Zaydos
2009-10-11, 05:06 AM
My apologies, I did some digging, and according to the planewalker.com Denizens of the Inner Planes supplement (third party, yes, but they seem to have their facts straightish; also, great supplement, go get it :smallwink:) those other three are detailed as follows (also, it gives a TEMPLATE to make archomentals with!!):
-Chlimbia is a magma mephit, who learned torture from a pit fiend, and thus gained power.
-Ehkahk is a smoke mephit.
-Bwimb is dead, slain by Orcus when he became Tenebrous for a short period of time. Bwimb II, the original's daughter, gained power when her father was killed. The current guess is that she's not just a mephit, but no one really knows for sure.

Also, in the description of the quasi-elementals, the supplement makes mention of several other elemental rulers (the only source given is for the elementals themselves, the Planescape Monstrous Compendium 3; I have no idea if these are legit or just made up, but they're damn cool):
-Alu Kang Sang, the Wind of Destruction, is a dust quasi-elemental warlord.
-Gazra, the Shifting Emperor, is the king of the ash quasi-elementals, and it is said he is close to becoming a true archomental.
-Crystalle of the mineral quasi-elementals, who is said to be an archomental true.

I think they were, but I don't have my planescape books with me. I miss the quasi-elemental planes.

To OP: as for making archomentals the Dragon Magazine ones ranged from CR 20 (Zaaman-Rul, good, fire) to 24(?) IIRC with Ogremoch (you seem to know the article so I guess you know that much). As Zaaman-Rul was the weakest one recognized as an archomental and Ogremoch the strongest that should be some guideline for what CR to look for if you want them to work with the Dragon magazine ones. Also one of those two issues had paraelemental monoliths and paraelemental creatures which might be nice.

P.S.: I did get a chance to test Zaamon-Rul in combat he was a tad on the weak side if I recall correctly (him and minions vs Level 20 party and cohorts).

Cyanidesoul
2009-10-11, 06:02 AM
I think they were, but I don't have my planescape books with me. I miss the quasi-elemental planes.

To OP: as for making archomentals the Dragon Magazine ones ranged from CR 20 (Zaaman-Rul, good, fire) to 24(?) IIRC with Ogremoch (you seem to know the article so I guess you know that much). As Zaaman-Rul was the weakest one recognized as an archomental and Ogremoch the strongest that should be some guideline for what CR to look for if you want them to work with the Dragon magazine ones. Also one of those two issues had paraelemental monoliths and paraelemental creatures which might be nice.

P.S.: I did get a chance to test Zaamon-Rul in combat he was a tad on the weak side if I recall correctly (him and minions vs Level 20 party and cohorts).

Hmm... thanks. I always thought apart from the plane of fire (City of Brass), the elemental planes were not really fleshed out. Y'know in terms of places and locations and signifcant power players? (instead of the relatively low intelligence standard elementals) However, I did some reading and each of the elemental princes of evil have a nifty sounding lair. Ogremoch has "Stonemire" for instance, a massive mesa where he has buried his foes.

Cyanidesoul
2009-10-11, 10:00 PM
The Princes of Elemental Evil as presented in dragon #347 all have CRs of 22. In my mind I always pictured them as stronger -something like a quasi-deity in terms of power with a divine/cosmic rank of 0.