PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) New spell: Prognostication

Shpadoinkle
2009-10-11, 01:59 AM
Probably something like this already exists, but here's my stab at it anyway.

Prognostication
Divination
Sor/wiz 0, Clr 0, Drd 0, Brd 1
Range: Touch
Duration: One minute or until expended
SR: Yes (harmless)
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)

The caster either glimpses into the immediate future, or grants that ability to the affected creature. A character under the effect of Prognostication gains a +2 competence bonus on his next single d20 roll that can be retried the next round (Jump, Climb, and Open Lock checks, attack rolls, etc., but skills like Knowledge or Use Magic Device, hit die rolls, and saving throws do not qualify).

The spell is expended after the first roll is made after it is cast, regardless of whether the result of the roll was successful or not.

Krazddndfreek
2009-10-11, 02:16 AM
Well... as a zero level spell, that seems a bit overpowered IMO. Make it a first level spell. Well, I'm not sure... It seems a little bit strong for a zero level spell, but definitely too weak for a 1st level spell...

That aside, I think there's a spell called precognition, which basically does that for attack, AC and reflex for a couple of minutes. and I think it was in PHB2:smalltongue:

sonofzeal
2009-10-11, 02:31 AM
+2 on your next skillcheck? Well, skillchecks are powerful things these days. Could be a nice boost to all sorts of semi-broken skill usages. Still, eh, I could see it.

Now, +2 to the next ability check, that sounds entirely reasonable.

Krazddndfreek
2009-10-11, 02:44 AM
really? There's a second level spell (1st for bards) that grants TWO people +2 ALL skill checks for the duration of the spell called Share Talents (also in PHB2). So actually, that spell isn't so outrageous. I guess its quite balanced for a zero level spell. Or Share Talents is extremely rigged.

sonofzeal
2009-10-11, 02:54 AM
really? There's a second level spell (1st for bards) that grants TWO people +2 ALL skill checks for the duration of the spell called Share Talents (also in PHB2). So actually, that spell isn't so outrageous. I guess its quite balanced for a zero level spell. Or Share Talents is extremely rigged.
Well, 0th level spells are usually massively underwhelming, to the point of irrelevance. I mean, there's a couple that are classically useful (Detect Maqic, Light, etc), but.... Resistance? Virtue? Cure Minor? The gap between 0th level and 1st level is huge, more so than the gap between 1st and 2nd, or even 1st and 3rd in many cases.

Krazddndfreek
2009-10-11, 03:16 AM
Point taken.

Set
2009-10-11, 06:43 PM
Guidance gives +1 to the next attack, save or skill check in the next minute, so this, affecting only the next skill check in the next minute, giving a +2 bonus, seems balanced.

FirebirdFlying
2009-10-11, 09:22 PM
…Why Bard 1? :smallconfused:

Iferus
2009-10-12, 04:35 AM
For some reason, I keep reading "New spell: Procrastination"...

mikeejimbo
2009-10-12, 06:38 PM
For some reason, I keep reading "New spell: Procrastination"...

Oh, I'll stat up that one.

Tomorrow.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-10-12, 08:25 PM
Oh, I'll stat up that one.

Tomorrow.

No need, I'll stat it for you.

Procrastination
Divination
Level: Sor/Wiz 0
Range: Personal
Target: You