PDA

View Full Version : Obvious feat cribbed from GURPS

Melamoto
2009-10-11, 05:30 AM
Common Sense [General]

Benefit
Any time you start to do something the DM feels is STUPID, he will roll a wisdom check of DC 10. A successful roll means he must warn you: "Hadn't you better think about that?"

Didn't put it in the homebrew section because I thought it would be better here, plus it was almost word for word stolen from the GURPS rulebook.

Would you use it?

stenver
2009-10-11, 05:32 AM
no. If player is stupid, then hes stupid.

Melamoto
2009-10-11, 05:41 AM
He can slowly learn from his mistakes at the cost of a feat. And depending on their Wisdom they could have a less than 50/50 chance. Think of the stupid people for once!

Myou
2009-10-11, 05:58 AM
The would be like the Investigate feat - the DM will do this anyway.

Ichneumon
2009-10-11, 06:15 AM
I wouldn't use it as the benefit of a feat shouldn't depend on the player acting foolish. The less stupid the player is, the more it feels like having wasted a feat. It also feels rather lame, not giving satisfaction when the DM has to warn you like that.

Domigorgon
2009-10-11, 06:40 AM
I regularly ask my PCs to roll Int and Wis checks when they're stumped or are about to do something very stupid at key points in the game. If they figure stuff out by themselves, I award extra xp, and if I have to help them, I don't.

Melamoto
2009-10-11, 06:52 AM
I wouldn't use it as the benefit of a feat shouldn't depend on the player acting foolish. The less stupid the player is, the more it feels like having wasted a feat. It also feels rather lame, not giving satisfaction when the DM has to warn you like that.

It's for people who are stupid or impulsive, and so to whom it won't be a waste of a feat. And it's better to have the DM warn you than to end up going through with it. Just let the people who aren't very good be able to play with the people who are without causing a TPK every time they get an idea.

kamikasei
2009-10-11, 07:21 AM
It's for people who are stupid or impulsive, and so to whom it won't be a waste of a feat. And it's better to have the DM warn you than to end up going through with it. Just let the people who aren't very good be able to play with the people who are without causing a TPK every time they get an idea.

Why would you make them spend a feat on this? Why wouldn't you just do it anyway whether they have a feat or not? Never mind that feats are bloody expensive in D&D compared to a point-buy system.

KillianHawkeye
2009-10-11, 07:25 AM
Waste of a feat.

Melamoto
2009-10-11, 07:52 AM
Well, alternatively it could be a passive Skill Trick.

kamikasei
2009-10-11, 07:58 AM
Why should it require the player to spend any character-building resources at all?

Conceptually: so it's a check that tests your "common sense". And it's modeled as a Wisdom check. So characters with high Wisdom have more common sense, and those with low have less. I see no need to do other than just introduce the checks themselves as a houserule, and let the characters' existing stats do the rest.

KillianHawkeye
2009-10-11, 08:20 AM
Why should it require the player to spend any character-building resources at all?

Conceptually: so it's a check that tests your "common sense". And it's modeled as a Wisdom check. So characters with high Wisdom have more common sense, and those with low have less. I see no need to do other than just introduce the checks themselves as a houserule, and let the characters' existing stats do the rest.

I agree. Every DM I have ever known will just drop a hint if they feel you're about to do something incredibly foolish. The feat just punishes the character for something that is a problem with the player.

Ichneumon
2009-10-11, 09:02 AM
I agree. Every DM I have ever known will just drop a hint if they feel you're about to do something incredibly foolish. The feat just punishes the character for something that is a problem with the player.

Agreed, that's what I tried to say, but you said it better.