PDA

View Full Version : Belkar will die in comic 694!

Ichneumon
2009-10-11, 08:18 AM
It is a fact. It was predicted he would die within a year on page 329. A year is 365 days long and 329+365=694! It must be true.:smalltongue:

FoE
2009-10-11, 08:24 AM
This makes perfect sense.

Ichneumon, have you by any chance been communicating online with the Old Ones (http://wilwheaton.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c59aa53ef0120a5999d84970b-pi)?

Lvl45DM!
2009-10-11, 08:25 AM
Except the last 15 strips have occured in one or at most 2 days
V's little rampage lasted 20 minutes and covered a load of strips...
and then Haley waited for over a week in Greysky City in between two strips

Lvl45DM!
2009-10-11, 08:26 AM
O wait didnt catch the sarcasm in the OP...i feel embarrassed

daggaz
2009-10-11, 09:28 AM
O wait didnt catch the sarcasm in the OP...i feel embarrassed

There's always the delete button. Maybe you can catch it before anybody notices... oh wait.. :smallamused:

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-11, 10:21 AM
It is a fact. It was predicted he would die within a year on page 329. A year is 365 days long and 329+365=694! It must be true.:smalltongue:

Is it bad that his line of logic appeals to me, and I hope it comes true (even though it never will now even if it would have done once).

Mastikator
2009-10-11, 10:44 AM
Um...

Since when is a strip (on average) a day?

Olorin Maia
2009-10-11, 12:15 PM
That would be the sarcasm that had been previously referred to.

Silverraptor
2009-10-11, 12:18 PM
However much sarcasm went into this thread, I can't help but thinking it to be plausable to say the least.

the_tick_rules
2009-10-11, 12:31 PM
Odds are low.

Ichneumon
2009-10-11, 12:51 PM
Odds are low.

Actually, I'd say odds are quite high, given the fact that Belkar has been getting more and more spot light and character development.

ThisIsNotDan
2009-10-11, 01:03 PM
Assuming Belkar dies before strip 800, I'd say the odds are about 1 to 113 at this point. That's pretty good considering there are close to 700 strips in this whole comic so far O.o

King of Nowhere
2009-10-11, 02:18 PM
Actually, the comic is 685 strips until now, and the adventure of oots lasted a couple years, so it is more or less an average of a day (in comic time) per strip. So that prediction may come true.

And I eat a lot, therefore I'm increasing the average food consumption pro capite on heart, and thanks to me people in the third world are, on average, eating more. That's the same principle!

Niknokitueu
2009-10-12, 03:27 AM
Assuming Belkar dies before strip 800, I'd say the odds are about 1 to 113 at this point. That's pretty good considering there are close to 700 strips in this whole comic so far O.o
Aye, but if he were to die before strip 900, that about doubles your odds to 1:213... :smallbiggrin:

He will die when he dies. Probably near the culmination of the plot. Very probably, given he is a part of the main line-up.

Then again, I have been wrong before...

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

Dallas-Dakota
2009-10-12, 03:31 AM
He will die when he dies.
This.:smallbiggrin:

TehSheen
2009-10-12, 11:08 AM
Belkar will die near the end of OOTS. Why? Because that'll give us closure, that's why!

Ichneumon
2009-10-12, 11:11 AM
Woudn't it be possible if Belkar was killed by a random NPC during a random encounter? I mean, it's very counter-intuitive, so very much like mr Burlew.

CrimsonAngel
2009-10-12, 11:23 AM
YOU'RE A GENIOUS! :smalleek: *warship*

Comeone, warship her, all the cool kids are doing it.

Dreganastra
2009-10-12, 11:30 AM
Is it too much to hope that for some inexplicable reason Belkar doesn't die?

Maybe he could just stop breathing for the rest of his life...

Or change his name?

CrimsonAngel
2009-10-12, 11:34 AM
Belkar Bitterleaf is going to die. But Belkar Greenhilt will soon be born...

Dreganastra
2009-10-12, 11:36 AM
There is no way Belkar would take his last name. We all know he'd establish dominance right away.

Don't go furry, he's in a hurry.

Fluffles
2009-10-12, 11:40 AM
Yay! Belkar gets to gain the (Undead) type soon!

Kish
2009-10-12, 11:57 AM
Is it too much to hope that for some inexplicable reason Belkar doesn't die?

Yes, it is.

Maybe he could just stop breathing for the rest of his life...

Or change his name?
And move to another world, permanently!

Except, frankly, the question is, why would Rich go one inch out of his way to save Belkar? Durkon's being alive at the end of the story is easy (it involves him dying, going home, then being resurrected), and still it will only happen if Rich considers it better for the story than him actually dying and staying dead. Belkar never eating cake again, not needing his IRA, not breathing ever again, not being in the world--no one has come up with a way to make it all fit and keep Belkar in the story, and the only purpose doing so would serve would be to please a certain faction of readers while aggravating another faction.

Dreganastra
2009-10-12, 12:03 PM
Honestly the reason I don't want Belkar to die is because then I'd have to accept the comic will be coming to an end.

I hope the Giant makes something else to consume my time when he does finish this up though.

Also you said some hurtful things. I like this planet. :smallfrown:

Alteran
2009-10-12, 12:33 PM
Belkar never eating cake again, not needing his IRA, not breathing ever again, not being in the world--no one has come up with a way to make it all fit and keep Belkar in the story, and the only purpose doing so would serve would be to please a certain faction of readers while aggravating another faction.

He could be an undead and move to the Abyss? He wouldn't breathe again, he wouldn't be able to taste (see: Xykon, SoD), he wouldn't be in this world, and money wouldn't matter (see: the goddamn Abyss).

Personally, I believe that Belkar will just die and not be brought back. However, alternative possibilities do exist.

Edit: Oh, "keep Belkar in the story". This doesn't really do that.

Ichneumon
2009-10-12, 01:14 PM
I only hope this website doesn't end when the comic does...

Ironwolf172
2009-10-12, 03:09 PM

He may die, but he won't leave the comic strip.

LuisDantas
2009-10-12, 03:18 PM
Belkar is in no way needed for the strip to continue.

And some people, including me, would rather not have any more of the psycho halfling.

derfenrirwolv
2009-10-12, 03:20 PM
Belkar Bitterleaf is going to die. But Belkar Greenhilt will soon be born...

You SO owe me a bottle of brain bleech

Ichneumon
2009-10-12, 03:23 PM

And some people, including me, would rather not have any more of the psycho halfling.

Indeed, although he made some improvement, he's one of the least interesting characters.

JT Jag
2009-10-12, 03:24 PM
It is a fact. It was predicted he would die within a year on page 329. A year is 365 days long and 329+365=694! It must be true.:smalltongue:Flawed assumption. It was outright stated in comic #666 that there were seven weeks left until Belkar died. That's 49 comics, by this thread's logic. We have until comic 715.

Makensha
2009-10-12, 03:32 PM
Another note was that the kobold said he'd best savor his next birthday cake, implying he won't live to see two birthdays. Unless there is somewhere I don't know about, we don't know when his birthday is. He could live anywhere from his next birthday from that point on to 729 (I think) from then.

Also, where does the original reference to seven weeks come from? Is it 666, or is it mentioned earlier?

Ichneumon
2009-10-12, 03:36 PM
Flawed assumption. It was outright stated in comic #666 that there were seven weeks left until Belkar died. That's 49 comics, by this thread's logic. We have until comic 715.

Wait, maybe this shows us that Rich changed plans and wanted to delay Belkar's death!

Skeppio
2009-10-12, 05:07 PM
Except the last 15 strips have occured in one or at most 2 days
V's little rampage lasted 20 minutes and covered a load of strips...
and then Haley waited for over a week in Greysky City in between two strips

See, it evens itself out :smallbiggrin:

veti
2009-10-12, 05:14 PM

I'm afraid you're doomed to disappointment, then. Because Belkar's death isn't going to end his involvement in the strip, any more than Roy's death ended his.

LuisDantas
2009-10-12, 05:16 PM
Actually, that is not true. The Oracle did not predict anything about Roy's last breath ever.

Darth Spoon
2009-10-12, 05:18 PM
Flawed assumption. It was outright stated in comic #666 that there were seven weeks left until Belkar died. That's 49 comics, by this thread's logic. We have until comic 715.

If you reread the comic you are referencing, you'll notice that Roy does NOT say Belkar is going to die, but is actually referring to their plan to stop Xykon.

BatRobin
2009-10-12, 05:18 PM
Another note was that the kobold said he'd best savor his next birthday cake, implying he won't live to see two birthdays. Unless there is somewhere I don't know about, we don't know when his birthday is. He could live anywhere from his next birthday from that point on to 729 (I think) from then.

Also, where does the original reference to seven weeks come from? Is it 666, or is it mentioned earlier?

Pretty sure it's 666.

Wait...

Does anyone like Belkar enough to MAKE him a cake?

Darth Spoon
2009-10-12, 05:20 PM
Actually, that is not true. The Oracle did not predict anything about Roy's last breath ever.

I don't think veti was implying that the Oracle had predicted Roy's death, just that Roy's death didn't end Roy's involvement in the comic.

veti
2009-10-12, 05:22 PM

Look: Roy was dead for over 200 strips, and he still appeared in approximately 50 of them.

Without drawing breath.

Hell, even Shojo got a return appearance after his death. If you really think Belkar is just going to be forgotten, then I've got $80 million in embezzled Nigerian funds for you.

Kish
2009-10-12, 05:34 PM
I believe Luis is saying--correctly--that Belkar will not appear in the world at any point after he dies. Whether we see him in the afterlife, well, that could go either way. But he won't be resurrected, and when the comic ends, Roy will probably be alive and Belkar will definitely be dead.

Harr
2009-10-12, 05:44 PM
It's gonna be interesting to see the forums after the death happens and it becomes clear whether or not he will continue to appear in the comic even in death (Roy style) or is wiped out entirely (Miko style)... as either way the opposing faction is bound to flare up over it.

I wonder which side is bigger though... the people who want him to be scrubbed out of the comic entirely, or the people who are hoping he will continue to be a part of the story? Too bad there's no polling in these forums =/

btw I think it's equally likely that it will go either way, although I think it would be clever to have a tour of the evil afterlife featuring the Belkster similar to the one of the good afterlife we had with Roy.

LuisDantas
2009-10-12, 06:20 PM
It's gonna be interesting to see the forums after the death happens and it becomes clear whether or not he will continue to appear in the comic even in death (Roy style) or is wiped out entirely (Miko style)... as either way the opposing faction is bound to flare up over it.

Maybe so. But probably not. After all, most people who can't stand Belkar's presence are supposed to have given up on the strip altogether by now. It is not like he's rarely on the spotlight, after all.

I wonder which side is bigger though... the people who want him to be scrubbed out of the comic entirely, or the people who are hoping he will continue to be a part of the story? Too bad there's no polling in these forums =/

I can only assume most people want him to keep appearing, if the forum threads are any indication.

btw I think it's equally likely that it will go either way, although I think it would be clever to have a tour of the evil afterlife featuring the Belkster similar to the one of the good afterlife we had with Roy.

Come to think of it, it would be even funnier to have Belkar find Miko in some sort of TN/CN afterlife and see both blush in shame for failing to miss each other... :smalltongue:

And Veti, Kish is correct. Roy is breathing now, but the Oracle never predicted a timeframe for Roy's last breath ever, while he did so for Belkar. Ergo, Belkar is rather unlikely to be ressurrected.

Thajocoth
2009-10-12, 06:24 PM
Technically, there's another world through that giant rift... Blackwing saw it... I'm not saying I think Belkar will wind up there. I'm saying I'm surprised no one has proposed that particular theory.

LuisDantas
2009-10-12, 06:26 PM
Ending up there would change nothing about his need to breathe, now would it?

Nimrod's Son
2009-10-12, 11:15 PM
Flawed assumption. It was outright stated in comic #666 that there were seven weeks left until Belkar died.
No, there were seven weeks till the end of the year. Belkar could die at any point during that time.

Technically, there's another world through that giant rift... Blackwing saw it... I'm not saying I think Belkar will wind up there. I'm saying I'm surprised no one has proposed that particular theory.
...In this thread, perhaps, but plenty of people have mentioned it before.

Harr
2009-10-12, 11:26 PM
Come to think of it, it would be even funnier to have Belkar find Miko in some sort of TN/CN afterlife and see both blush in shame for failing to miss each other... :smalltongue:

Ha! That would truly be the ultimate irony :smallbiggrin: can't believe I never thought of that myself (even as obviously unlikely as it is).

Itous
2009-10-13, 12:12 PM
do you think belkar will die in operation liberation or what ever it is, what everyone is doing to free up Azure city, there comming by sea maybe belkar will find the psylactery and destroy it some how or maybe even kill Xykon with his last breath?

veti
2009-10-13, 02:41 PM
do you think belkar will die in operation liberation or what ever it is,

Unlikely - they're on a different continent and heading in the opposite direction at the moment - they'd have to move pretty sharp to finish the main quest and make it all the way back to Azure City within seven weeks.

maybe belkar will find the psylactery and destroy it some how

Well, anything's possible, I guess. But that looks - pretty unlikely. On a scale of 1 to Dead Certain, that's about a minus twenty.

or maybe even kill Xykon with his last breath?

I don't believe Belkar has bad breath. It wouldn't be in keeping with his gourmet halfling characterisation...

Hardcore
2009-10-13, 02:59 PM
Absolutely wrong! Evil is more interesting than good. Our interest in belkar echoes our interest in all things ugly, ill, gory, sick and weird.

That aside, my prediction for Belkars death is:
Strip #700!

or maybe 800, considering we are so close to 700. If he dies it will take a few pages to set the stage and have the fight etc.

calar
2009-10-15, 10:34 PM
Do note that the prophecy said within a year, not in a year proper.