PDA

View Full Version : LA Buyoff Strategy

Curmudgeon
2009-10-11, 03:52 PM
Level Adjustment buyoff (detailed here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm)) has some fairly stringent rules about when you're allowed to buy off your LAs.

With no racial HD, a LA +1 race/inherited template costs 3,000 XP to buy off, which must be done at class level 3. If you've got LA +2 the cost is 7,000 + 9,000 = 16,000 to buy off, and this must be done at class levels 6 and 9.

It seems to me that you can leverage this system a bit to allow for buying off more level adjustments, if you do it in the right order. Buying off LA +1 at class level 3, then acquiring LA +2 template(s) between levels 3 and 6 allows for 3 LA buyoff total in the same levels you would normally only be allowed 2.

So I'm looking for the best combinations of LA +1 to start, from either race or inherited template (with no racial HD, please). Then a way to add +2 LA between class levels 3 and 6 with acquired template(s) that synergize with the original LA +1 choice.

One possibility: Catfolk (LA +1, from Races of the Wild) with 40' base speed and favored class Ranger. Add Dark Creature Template (Tome of Magic, page 161) (not sure how, but it says it's either inherited or acquired) and then Mineral Warrior template (Underdark, page 97) via the Mineralize Warrior spell. For class levels take 3 of Scout, 2 of Monk, and the rest Ranger. Add the Swift Hunter feat to get skirmish damage from Ranger+Scout levels. Train with a Sparring Dummy of the Master to make 10' adjustments in place of 5' steps, so you can get full round attacks with skirmish damage. You've now got 60' movement on land (40' Catfolk + 10' Dark Creature + 10' Scout fast movement), and half that (30') as your burrow speed.

I'm sure you Playgrounders can suggest some interesting ways to benefit from this wrinkle in the LA buyoff rules.