PDA

View Full Version : [4] Defender Avenger

Tak
2009-10-11, 07:58 PM
Think it's possible? The class got some nice power. Any tip? I'm playing in Forgotten Realms.

Sir Homeslice
2009-10-11, 08:00 PM
Your post makes no bloody sense at all.

Tak
2009-10-11, 08:01 PM
Ment to wtite avenger, not adept. Also, I mean by that, behing able to take teh spot of a defender/tanking class

Sir Homeslice
2009-10-11, 08:06 PM
Ment to wtite avenger, not adept. Also, I mean by that, behing able to take teh spot of a defender/tanking class

In short: No.

Long story: You can make an attempt to, but you can't provide any real incentive, unless you pull funny shenanigans, one of which would be hybrid.

Not Five
2009-10-11, 08:12 PM
It might be possible, with a lot of shenanigans, but it hardly seems like the optimal choice. A hybrid assault-swordmage|strength-paladin would get you to the same place conceptually, I think, as might a simpler multiclassed paladin/swordmage.

Nightson
2009-10-11, 08:38 PM
No.

You can make your avenger tough and tank like. But you need to provide an incentive for the enemy to attack you instead of squishier people to be a defender.

nightwyrm
2009-10-11, 09:12 PM
It's not totally impossible, depending on your definition of tanking. A number of avenger powers isolates an enemy and punishes him for leaving the avenger's side. It's not tanking in the fighter/paladin sense where the enemy is punished for not attacking the tank. It's more of a "the avenger and the enemy go off somewhere by themselves and play with each other while the rest of the party deal with the rest of the enemies" type of tanking.

Meek
2009-10-11, 09:17 PM
You can do a sort of single-target control that works kind of like defending, but it is limited. If someone outside of your very limited sphere of influence needs protection, you can't rush to effective aid as easily as a real defender could.