PDA

View Full Version : 4e Dragonborn fighter help

Samuel Sturm
2009-10-11, 09:28 PM
I recently got "conned" into playing 4e DnD.
I know I want to play a Dragonborn fighter, optimised for survival.
However, never having played 4e DnD before, I have no way of going about this.
My stats are 17, 16, 14, 14, 11, 8, in no particular order.

I'm thinking 17, 14, 16, 14, 11, 8.

What would the mighty minds of the Playground recommend as a build?

I really don't like raging, so that's out.
I also hate playing "stupid" characters. (low int)
There's a Swashbuckler and a Beastmaster Ranger so far, and I think a druid. We may get a few others, not sure.

Thanks!

P.S. I tried to get the DM to run 3.5e. No luck there.

Meek
2009-10-11, 09:32 PM
P.S. I tried to get the DM to run 3.5e. No luck there.

Judging by your attitude, you should probably just not play.

Anyway, depending on what material is available to you, Great Weapon Fighter is pretty hot right now. Str and Con, and get a Mordenkrad (Adventurer's Vault) and use the new Great Weapon Fighter powers from Dragon 379. You'll be adding constitution to damage a lot, and you can get Hammer Rhythm.

Wreckingrocc
2009-10-11, 09:42 PM
4e truly is a strange system. It's all about optimization, since, if you don't, there are even worse reprecussions than in 3.5. The good part? Optimization is easy. Just be sure to get a really, really high Strength, and a decent second ability score based on what moves you'll be taking, then have at least one of the defense values for each defense at ~12-14.

Build doesn't look too bad, but Int honestly does nothing for you- I'd swap it with Wis (for AoOs) if you really want to keep it decent, but, you really can just roleplay it higher. Wisdom does more for you in Will and in AoOs.

Otherwise, looks good. I'd try a great weapons fighter, as they've always done well for me in the past. Executioner's Axes are always fun.

Samuel Sturm
2009-10-11, 09:43 PM
Judging by your attitude, you should probably just not play.

Anyway, depending on what material is available to you, Great Weapon Fighter is pretty hot right now. Str and Con, and get a Mordenkrad (Adventurer's Vault) and use the new Great Weapon Fighter powers from Dragon 379. You'll be adding constitution to damage a lot, and you can get Hammer Rhythm.

Gaming is pretty rare around here, and the DM and players are good friends of mine. I may not like the system that much, but it's better than sitting at home with the blue glow by far.

Ok, looks good. Thanks. Brutal weapon property is aptly named.

But what powers and such? Any advice there?

Kylarra
2009-10-11, 09:43 PM
If you switch to dwarf, battlerager vigor isn't too bad as far as survival goes, you'll have THP pretty much constantly. Dragonborn isn't too bad, but that +cha is kind of wasted.

Meek
2009-10-11, 09:47 PM
What level are you starting as? Also, your survival goal could be accomplished in two appropriately defendery ways – kill things fast or tank things hard. You DON'T want any power that has a -2 penalty to attack rolls built in. However, you DO want Warding Steel, and things like Brutal Advance and Murderous Assault that grant you free charges are really awesome for mobility, as well as Leaping Assault.

Kylarra
2009-10-11, 09:50 PM
I know you wanted high-int, but really it doesn't synergize that well. I left it at dex 14 so you could get scale spec at paragon, but eh, if you just want plate you can go ahead and put that 14 elsewhere.

Powers selected for dual synergy of +con damage and invigorating.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
THPs D00d, level 1
Dragonborn, Fighter
Fighter Talents: Battlerager Vigor
Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Strength
Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Cold

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 19, Con 16, Dex 14, Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 17, Con 16, Dex 14, Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 8.

AC: 17 Fort: 16 Reflex: 12 Will: 12
HP: 31 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
Heal +7, Endurance +8, Athletics +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +2, Arcana, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering +2, History +2, Insight +2, Intimidate +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion, Stealth +2, Streetwise, Thievery +2

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Mordenkrad)

POWERS
Fighter at-will 1: Crushing Surge
Fighter at-will 1: Brash Strike
Fighter encounter 1: Bell Ringer
Fighter daily 1: Knee Breaker

ITEMS
Mordenkrad, Scale Armor
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Mando Knight
2009-10-11, 09:52 PM
11 Intelligence is by no means stupid (in fact, 8 is only slightly thick-headed, and should be less noticeable if the character has decent Wisdom and Charisma). Since you're unlikely to need to use Intelligence, put the 11 there, and the 8 in Charisma, which will be bumped up to 10.

Put the 17 into Strength to get 19 after the racial modifier, and the 16 into your choice of Constitution or Dexterity. Constitution will work better with your Dragon Breath, axes, and hammers, while Dexterity helps your Reflex defense, heavy blade builds, and AC for a Tempest fighter (Martial Power). 14 goes into Wisdom, since it'll help with your Opportunity Attacks and Will defense, but is otherwise less useful unless you want to go with spear/polearm fighting.

For your Breath's element, most will suggest not taking fire, but I say that you should pick whatever you want... because fire is friggin' FIRE, and BURNiNATES things.

Mostly, it'll depend on what kind of fighter you want to be:

Big weapon? Grab an axe or hammer (Mordenkrad from the Adventurer's Vault is the best, statistically) and buff your Consitution.
Sword & Board? Grab a Longsword or Bastard Sword (they're good this time around, honest!) and a heavy shield, and put some points into Dexterity.
Polearm? Grab a Greatspear if you've got Adventurer's Vault, or your choice of Military polearms otherwise.
Two weapons? Double Sword or Double Axe if you have access to Adventurer's Vault, twin Short Swords otherwise.

pasko77
2009-10-12, 07:34 AM
I'd rather play a SwordMage.
He is a "fighter" (that is, has the same role), and is based upon INT.

Guinea Anubis
2009-10-12, 08:20 AM
If your looking to be a meat shield that can dish out some ok damage the fighter build that Mando Knight gave you is good.

I my seld if I am going for damage like the twf ranger. But from what I have seen the sword mage may be up your ally. Its a fighter that can dish out a lot of damage and is not stupid at all. Only down side is a sword mage can not really take a hit.