PDA

View Full Version : Blackwing

Lvl45DM!
2009-10-11, 11:07 PM
Is obviously of pure heart cos he saw into the gate does that mean he has a Good alignment?

Hurkyl
2009-10-11, 11:14 PM
Gate? What gate?

Hurkyl
2009-10-11, 11:17 PM
Besides, sigils warding against those who weren't pure of heart was Dorukan's schtick: none of that was present in Azure City. (Not even back before Miko destroyed the gate)

Lvl45DM!
2009-10-11, 11:19 PM
Oh....so Dorukan was good? i always thought of him as TN *shrugs* whatever trevor

Optimystik
2009-10-11, 11:44 PM
Gate? What gate?

This was my question as well. Blackwing looked into a rift, not a Gate.

fangthane
2009-10-12, 12:02 AM
1. As noted by others, it was a "natural*" rift rather than an artificial gate.
2. The "pure heart" stuff (as Hurkyl mentions) was exclusively attached to the runes in Dorukan's Dungeon (those attached to Nale's target for certain, and though it's implied that the main gate's destruct rune is similarly tuned even that isn't necessarily absolute) and hasn't been seen since. It's probably fair to say it's a concept which has run its course and won't be seen again.
3. Animal alignment is neutral; V's alignment is (despite argument, generally accepted to be) probably neutral and certainly under no circumstances is it good**, so there's no justification for believing Blackwing would diverge significantly.

*Such as terms like "natural" could be applied to the existence of a god-slaying entity created as the side-product of a prior existence.
**Unholy Blight effectiveness (which is generally considered to be an aberration) notwithstanding

Optimystik
2009-10-12, 07:02 AM
**Unholy Blight effectiveness (which is generally considered to be an aberration) notwithstanding

It doesn't have to be an "aberration." Alignment isn't static, after all.

David Argall
2009-10-12, 02:47 PM
It doesn't have to be an "aberration." Alignment isn't static, after all.
True, and in some respects alignment drift would be superior for the story. However the writer's posts suggest that this was author error rather than intentional.
Of course, I do not retreat from my opinion that V can be placed in CG

CrimsonAngel
2009-10-12, 03:58 PM
Wowzers another thread about alignments... this time about a bird, can birds even have alignments?

Starbuck_II
2009-10-12, 04:23 PM
Wowzers another thread about alignments... this time about a bird, can birds even have alignments?

Magical beasts = familiars.
Animal companions = animals.
Animal can only be neutral.
Blackwing isn't as animal companion. Therefore, it can have an alignment.

Ancalagon
2009-10-12, 04:31 PM
Note: even "animal = neutral" is an aligment. ;)