PDA

View Full Version : Problematic

Loxagn
2009-10-11, 11:58 PM
How do you deal with a powergamer when the DMs and most of the rest of the part value plot over random fighting, without asking the powergamer to leave?:smallfrown:

Kylarra
2009-10-11, 11:59 PM
Talk to them OOC?

sonofzeal
2009-10-12, 12:06 AM
It's very important to ask what type of "powergamer" you have here. Is he cheating and/or bending the rules to do horribly ridiculous things? Or is he in the game to accrue the maximum possible power? Or is he someone who makes very effective characters that overshadow everyone else, but who plays them normally? Or is he just doing something specific that your group finds distasteful (like massively multiclassing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127219))?

Answering this will help us help you help him.

Temet Nosce
2009-10-12, 12:06 AM
To be clear - you're asking what to do about someone uninterested in the plot and/or RPing?

A bit more information on the situation might let us give you better advice.

Loxagn
2009-10-12, 12:18 AM
Okay. This person really gets into the combat aspect, he's not an optimizer but he basically wants to go from one to thirty as fast as humanly possible.

Unfortunately, lately there have been some very plot-heavy sessions and he gets very quickly bored and a little agitated when there's not xp to be gained from something.

He'll do rping, but he seems to prefer it to take as much form of in-combat banter as he can fit it.

Kylarra
2009-10-12, 12:22 AM
You could talk to the DM about awarding RP experience, so that the power gamer may become at least interested in RPing for exp's sake.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-10-12, 12:23 AM
If that's the case, I recommend just having a polite OOC chat between the players and the GM. The best bet would be finding a middle ground, where the plot happens during the combat. Hopefully the DM can avoid some of the more obvious issues. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TalkingIsAFreeAction)

Ideally, this will get the player more interested in the rest of the game, instead of just the fightan'.

sonofzeal
2009-10-12, 12:27 AM
This is not something we can help with, it's a fundamental difference of gaming styles. He enjoys one style of play, you appear to enjoy another. This is not something you can "fix" in him, because it isn't broken, just as your approach isn't broken either.

This is something you need to talk to the DM about. He's the one who's not fulfilling his job of keeping the various players entertained. D&D usually involves a mix of RP and combat, and it's the DM's job to maintain that balance to keep all the players satisfied.

Hyooz
2009-10-12, 12:27 AM
If he really likes levelling up a lot, give XP incentives to get into the roleplay. Offer skill use moments, or even moments in roleplay where he can take advantage of his character's combat prowess (maybe dramatically pinning someone against a wall or something similar.)

taltamir
2009-10-12, 12:43 AM
so he will RP, he just enjoys combat more? different people enjoy different things.
Is he somehow being disruptive?

valadil
2009-10-12, 12:44 AM
I think the best thing to do is to explain to hit that you and he have different needs from the game. He clearly thrives on combat. You thrive on roleplay and story. When he pushes for combat he's depriving you from roleplay. You need to take turns. It's not fair for him to take away your part of the game, but you should also put up with combat when fights happen.

This is basic kindergarten level stuff.

Ravens_cry
2009-10-12, 12:52 AM
There should be points where all players get a chance to shine. The DM should do his best to situations where the player can do what they enjoy best. I disagree with 'XP for RP', at least as the only solution. If he isn't having fun himself, giving him points for doing things he doesn't like isn't going to change that. There's a danger the player might start making their own fun, attacking guards and other NPC's just to get some sword swinging action, and possibly ruining the fun for everyone. There is a definite group incompatibility here, but, with some work ,I think the situation can be salvaged so fun can be had by all. That is the only real goal for RPG's, having fun.

Temet Nosce
2009-10-12, 12:52 AM
Okay. This person really gets into the combat aspect, he's not an optimizer but he basically wants to go from one to thirty as fast as humanly possible.

Unfortunately, lately there have been some very plot-heavy sessions and he gets very quickly bored and a little agitated when there's not xp to be gained from something.

He'll do rping, but he seems to prefer it to take as much form of in-combat banter as he can fit it.

Work with the DM to find things that will give the player incentive to be interested in the plot both IC and OOC. As others have mentioned, for OOC a good method is providing reward incentives for RP related challenges (or just for RPing). IC, try to link some of the plot with his character so that he's an important part of it rather than just trying to wait for combat.

sofawall
2009-10-12, 01:46 PM
How do you deal with a powergamer when the DMs and most of the rest of the part value plot over random fighting, without asking the powergamer to leave?:smallfrown:

Uh-oh. Apparently it's gotten around that everyone who prefers combat to roleplay is a powergamer. This worries me, especially as I am one of those who prefers Combat.

I mean, I am also a Powergamer, but at least three members of my group will pick feats and classes because "They're cool", yet they much prefer combat.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-12, 01:59 PM
If he were really a "power"gamer, he'd be jumping over RP. Nothing like some good old diplomacy (and I don't just mean the broken 3.5 rules, I mean diplomacy in general) to expand your power. United we stand.

Actually on-topic, I would suggest trying to find arrangements for another group. You're doing this for his benefit, right? He's not annoying you insofar as your playstyle is boring him. If you can find a group that won't bore him as much, and handle the transition with tact, you have a chance to win-win.

That's a really optimistic scenario, though, and has many places it can go wrong. Sit down with him and have a chat using the suggestions put forth in this thread. Maybe you can hook him on some character spotlight. Maybe he'll be appeased by RP XP. Maybe your group can tolerate more combat.