PDA

View Full Version : Secret Girlfriend

Fawkes
2009-10-12, 12:23 AM
Comedy Central has this new show, Secret Girlfriend, where the main character is you, the viewer. It's like a TV show in first person: All the characters in the show directly address the camera as if they're speaking to the main character.

I watched it the other day, and something bothered me about it, but I couldn't quite place it. I just figured it out.

It's exactly like the parlor TV 'families' in Fahrenheit 451, which is pretty creepy.

kpenguin
2009-10-12, 12:25 AM
Depends. How many TV Walls are required to watch it?

Fawkes
2009-10-12, 12:32 AM
Just one, as far as I know.

Plus, it creeps me out the way the characters stare at me. Like they can see me. It doesn't help that one of them is bat-sh*t insane and two others are pretty creepy already.

Rogue 7
2009-10-12, 12:58 AM
If I want to go the silent protagonist route, I'll go play an RPG.

The J Pizzel
2009-10-12, 08:33 AM
The two friends were stupid. They really weren't even funny, even though they tried so hard to be. The ex-girlfriend whose bat**** crazy is actually kinda funny. She was the only one who could actually make me laugh. The "secret girlfriend" is extremely hot and extremely cool and I thought it ended with a cool note with her running out of the strip club with all the wings, just shows how cool she is.

Lastly, I didn't like how downright perverted/sexy the POV is. Apparently I (the viewer) am some sort of damn sexy beast, cause all the chicks are constantly staring at me. Apparently, I'm also the worlds biggest pervert, cause all I do is star at chicks asses all day.

All in all, some parts were funny, some were stupid. I'll probably watch a few more episodes before canning it.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-12, 08:39 AM
It's exactly like the parlor TV 'families' in Fahrenheit 451, which is pretty creepy.

This scares me... scares me so much....

xPANCAKEx
2009-10-12, 09:30 AM
you should check out a UK programme called Peepshow (onto its 5th or 6th series now?) - lots of that has first person camera shots with internal dialogue

One of the best things to happen to comedy in a long time

loopy
2009-10-12, 10:28 AM
If you want to get more involved in the show, take a note from Squall and print out a speech bubble with:

"..."

In it.

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-12, 12:06 PM
There is no way I could watch that, it would annoy me. But thanks for mentioning Fahrenheit 451, I'd forgotten that I hadn't memorised a book yet. Damn you Mechafox!! :smalltongue:

Illiterate Scribe
2009-10-12, 12:14 PM

You're a man of few words, aren't you, Dr Freeman.

Ravens_cry
2009-10-12, 12:20 PM
Or Myst. for that matter

chiasaur11
2009-10-12, 12:32 PM
You're a man of few words, aren't you, Dr Freeman.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-13, 03:55 PM
There is no way I could watch that, it would annoy me. But thanks for mentioning Fahrenheit 451, I'd forgotten that I hadn't memorised a book yet. Damn you Mechafox!! :smalltongue:

That's ok, they had ways to make you remember it, even if you only read it once.

Jamin
2009-10-13, 04:01 PM
It sounds different at least. I always liked how in Warcraft 2 and Starcraft you are the main character. That is the only thing I missed in Warcraft 3. But I am unsure how that could work on a TV show where you don't do anything.

Moff Chumley
2009-10-13, 07:47 PM
Eh, it was moderately funny. The two 'friends' are poorly acted and executed, and while funny, the ex was pretty frightening. The 'secret girlfriend', as previously mentioned, is quite really damn hot, though. :smallbiggrin:

UglyPanda
2009-10-13, 08:16 PM
Maybe the purpose of the show isn't to entertain.

Maybe they want a viewing audience of lonely shut-ins.

SurlySeraph
2009-10-13, 10:25 PM
What do you mean, "maybe"? A first-person show about having a girlfriend in which the camera is constantly focusing on women's bodies is absolutely targeted to lonely shut-ins.

Sneak
2009-10-17, 08:55 PM
I tried watching the pilot of this show, and I just couldn't get through it. Not funny, unnecessarily pervy (and technically implying that I as viewer am unnecessarily pervy), and just generally a waste of time when there's so much good TV out there.

And while the whole "the viewer is the main character" gimmick is interesting, I think it's a little hard to make something like that actually work out well. I mean, the main character can't even speak. That's a bit of a problem.

FoE
2009-10-19, 01:17 AM
This show ... it nailed my character so perfectly.

Like me, the protagonist:

1) constantly stares at women's asses,
2) is bad at sports,
3) hangs out with a group of complete losers,
4) can only get laid by women who have a severe mental illness,
5) peeps in people's windows,
6) never has anything interesting to say
7) and has no personality whatsoever.

It was like looking into a mirror ...

Berserk Monk
2009-10-19, 01:35 AM
Like all Comedy Central created shows that aren't South Park, the Daily Show, or Colbert Report, I predict this show being canceled after season 1 or 2.

Freshmeat
2009-10-19, 06:44 AM
On the one hand, it provides ample fanservice. On the other hand, it's not really all that funny (Mandy is just boring and the two loser friends show the kind of 'wacky' zaniness one might expect from Ctrl-Alt-Del). The acting is kind of cheesy and the dialogue (or rather: repeated monologues) gets cringeworthy really fast.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-19, 10:34 AM
On the one hand, it provides ample fanservice.

That should be enough reason to dislike it.

Moff Chumley
2009-10-20, 08:05 PM
On the one hand, it provides ample fanservice. On the other hand, it's not really all that funny (Mandy is just boring and the two loser friends show the kind of 'wacky' zaniness one might expect from Ctrl-Alt-Del). The acting is kind of cheesy and the dialogue (or rather: repeated monologues) gets cringeworthy really fast.

Ctrl-Alt-Del. You're right, Secret Girlfriend is like the TV equivalent...

zeratul
2009-10-20, 08:19 PM
Ctrl-Alt-Del. You're right, Secret Girlfriend is like the TV equivalent...

If that's so I need to check this show out asap :smalltongue:

chiasaur11
2009-10-20, 08:37 PM
That should be enough reason to dislike it.

I'm not quite sure. I mean, Girl Genius has fanservicy moments, and it's good.

I mean, this show seems like an atrocity on its own merits, so the point is moot, but...

Fawkes
2009-10-20, 08:49 PM
Yeah, fanservice alone can't really turn a good show bad.

Unless it's really bad fanservice. Which this isn't.

It's a bad show, though.