PDA

View Full Version : Punny and Descriptive Character Names

Eldan
2009-10-12, 05:43 AM
So, have you in your games ever had character names that were also puns, stolen or just descriptive of what the character did? I'm asking because I just remembered an old character a friend had. The character was a space pilot, apparently of half-german, half-italian origin, named Hans Olo. The worst thing? It took me an entire session of three hours to get it.
Of course, the same guy also had a gnomish fire sorcerer named Wolfram Asbestos Tungsten.
And then there was the time when he tried to make a female barbarian named Barbara Ryan. I intervened on that one.

random11
2009-10-12, 05:46 AM
"Iron Nick" is one of my favorites.
So is "Dee Andy"

golentan
2009-10-12, 06:00 AM
I changed around the letters in the final version of my insane robot, but his original code was DV-A9T.

If you're wondering, the 9 is pronounced like an N.

Hal
2009-10-12, 06:07 AM
My DM threw an NPC at us once who had vital plot information. His name?

Huon Stuno.

The_Werebear
2009-10-12, 06:31 AM
A player concept I vetoed once was a dual-wielding, half fiend barbarian who had taken several feats to boost speed and agility. The character's name was to be "Meany Maude, the Demonic Barbarian with Fleet Feet"

I played a CE character named "Kerrul", pronounced "Kuh-rool" (A play on "Cruel")

Curmudgeon
2009-10-12, 07:15 AM
Led Robster, famous seaside thief. Later got caught in a petrification trap trying to break into an inn, and was clad in metal to become the Lead Robster.

Dogmantra
2009-10-12, 07:25 AM
I have a very slightly insane character who is more often happy than... well, anything really. He's called Joe Veeal.

I also had a master of disguise named Jay Nerrikman.

Eldan
2009-10-12, 07:56 AM
Oh, I forgot:

A play on a famous literary figure in an Eberron game:

Grey d'Orien.

BooNL
2009-10-12, 08:10 AM
And then there was the time when he tried to make a female barbarian named Barbara Ryan. I intervened on that one.

That one is pretty funny actually :smallbiggrin:.

Optimystik
2009-10-12, 08:17 AM

Huon Stuno.

That one made me grin :smallbiggrin:

Led Robster, famous seaside thief. Later got caught in a petrification trap trying to break into an inn, and was clad in metal to become the Lead Robster.

And that one made me groan. :smallyuk:

I had few actually punny ones, but I do have a habit of naming bat familiars "Sanguine." (If you don't quite get it, look up both "sanguine" and "sanguinary.")

AslanCross
2009-10-12, 08:35 AM
My current Red Hand of Doom group. Argh.

The dwarf crusader is a member of the Magroen clan. His name is Holden Magroen. His adopted warforged scout brother is Loven Magroen. His father's name is Spotson Magroen. I think he has a sister or cousin named Carressen.

The Kalashtar psion's name is Kikkeni Yurashtai. Kicking your ass. :P The original name was much more obvious, but I suggested that we make the pun a bit less obvious.

Since I said that the players might need to create backup characters in case of PC death, another player created Kikkeni's brother, named Shavadaph.

Sometimes I wonder why I tolerate these names. :smalleek:

Revlid
2009-10-12, 08:41 AM
Changeling: The Lost characters in my group -
Talinka "Tinker" Belle, a Wizened mechanic.

Jackie Nimble, candle-themed Elemental.

Marlo Dent, an Ogre gristlegrinder (nasty teeth, powerful bite).

Dino Rajav, a lizard-themed electrical Elemental.

Huey Dunnit, faceless mirrorskin Darkling.

Geist: Sin Eater characters -
Mortimer Graves, fairly obviously.

Charles Hadron, two letters away from a double portmanteau.

evisiron
2009-10-12, 08:43 AM
Not as good as the ones above, but I currently play Flint Locke - who of course, in a fit of teenage rebellion, learned to use the bow. :smallbiggrin:

Daefos
2009-10-12, 08:43 AM
A bard named Jack, from the small village of Altrades.

AslanCross
2009-10-12, 08:47 AM
A bard named Jack, from the small village of Altrades.

Is he the master of an obscure self-invented instrument called a "Nunn"?

Shadowbane
2009-10-12, 09:07 AM
Elvis Priestly the Elven cleric.

WalkingTarget
2009-10-12, 09:22 AM
Nobody's actually used it for their own character, and I don't know if they got it from somewhere else, but my gaming group has a running gag of sorts involving the legendary dwarven hero Bendbar Liftgates.

About the closest I've gotten was in Exalted where I had a monk named Words of Wisdom (a name chosen ironically by his old master given that he didn't speak often - I actually managed to play a the first session, and about half of the second, silently before everybody caught on - he tended to talk a bit more post-Exaltation, the not-quite-a-vow of silence being a tool on the path to enlightenment and he treated Exaltation as attaining it).

DiscipleofBob
2009-10-12, 09:39 AM
The closest I've had to punny names were a couple of NPC's:

Bistro owned a well-to-do restaurant in the town, and he hired kids from his wife, Delhi's, orphanage next door. Of course, Bistro was really the head of the local thieves guild and trained the little scamps as pickpockets.

Oh, and for a plant-themed monster encounter, I'm going to have a swarm of Fruit Flies, made of actual fruit.

jiriku
2009-10-12, 10:06 AM

The dwarf crusader is a member of the Magroen clan. His name is Holden Magroen. His adopted warforged scout brother is Loven Magroen. His father's name is Spotson Magroen. I think he has a sister or cousin named Carressen.

Oh god, I laughed so hard my coworkers are looking at me funny.

My favorite is an actual historical figure, a Roman officer named Spurius Furius.

pasko77
2009-10-12, 10:07 AM
A beastman (Bestial appearance: Panda) of nurgle (God of Disease) named Pandemic.

The Glyphstone
2009-10-12, 10:19 AM
I have a long list of on-the-spot names given to NPCs that my party decides to interact with spontaneously, such as:

Neil Patrick Cartman
Nelly Padma Campbell
Nelson Pascal Carver
Nancy Paula Calhoun

And said group has decided to take as their mercenary group moniker, the 'Peacemaker's Company'.

Cyrion
2009-10-12, 10:19 AM
A couple of my favorites aren't punny, but are distinctly stolen. One was a halfling rogue named Muckle John; that's the name of the last (or as lastest as I can trace) court jester of England, under Charles II. The other is Narwhal Skipfrag, a gnome illusionist named for a minor character in a Barbara Hambley book.

Alavar
2009-10-12, 10:53 AM
One of my friends has an obsession with the last name Oxbig. He has to use it for every character, every log-in name, etc. So we get random name Oxbig the fighter, random name Oxbig the wizard,random name Oxbig the Monk. Its horrible.

If you can't see why its bad, understand that all his first names end in K.

Eldariel
2009-10-12, 10:54 AM
This should be named "Puny and descriptive character names"

woodenbandman
2009-10-12, 11:18 AM
Well it's not really punny but I had an NPC called Alestorm Ironfire Hammerfall. Guess what he did.

NEO|Phyte
2009-10-12, 11:26 AM
My warforged tend to have descriptive names.

Like Fisto, the unarmed swordsage with a Battlefist.

Or Shank, the 4e Fighter//Rogue.

Artanis
2009-10-12, 11:33 AM
In one Exalted game, we ran into a Sidereal Chosen of Battles named Vahl, but who told us her name was Kyrie.

Edwin
2009-10-12, 12:07 PM
Never actually seen it in a game, but I dare one of you to make a character with a name punning the sentence All out of gum.

Of course, being a big sweating brute would be mandatory. With a chain-gun.

If you don't get it, you are not hardcore. :smallbiggrin:

Lapak
2009-10-12, 12:24 PM
Never actually seen it in a game, but I dare one of you to make a character with a name punning the sentence All out of gum.

Of course, being a big sweating brute would be mandatory. With a chain-gun.

If you don't get it, you are not hardcore. :smallbiggrin:?
The original source of that quote involved a shotgun, not a chain-gun.

Edwin
2009-10-12, 12:29 PM
?
The original source of that quote involved a shotgun, not a chain-gun.

Ahhh, the infamous nitpicker! :smallwink:

I believe that the chain-gun is more synonymous with our dear Duke than his shotgun, even though he used it readily.

But hey, kudos for correcting me.

Jayabalard
2009-10-12, 12:32 PM
Ahhh, the infamous nitpicker! :smallwink:

I believe that the chain-gun is more synonymous with our dear Duke than his shotgun, even though he used it readily.

But hey, kudos for correcting me.The quote doesn't originate with Duke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OImKPh6N_Lw)...

Telonius
2009-10-12, 12:36 PM
Running Shackled City. My players have a Druid with a giant frog animal companion. They recently defeated a group of Goblins. During the fight, the frog Swallowed Whole several of the goblins, leaving only one left. He surrendered, and the group asked for his name.

Fans of the Goblins comic will understand why I named this little gobbo "Spared By Frog." :smallbiggrin:

Edwin
2009-10-12, 12:39 PM
The quote doesn't originate with Duke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OImKPh6N_Lw)...

Hm, didn't know that. Awesome!

Probably shouldn't derail the thread anymore with Duke discussions, though.

Godskook
2009-10-12, 12:40 PM
I had one character named Allen Nesmith for an plane-hopping D&D game. In the game, we were required to take on code-names. Mine was "Commander Taggart". My familiar's name was DeMarco. I was classed as an Illusionist, and my backstory was as an actor. Only wizard I've ever made with ranks in Perform.

Da Pwnzlord
2009-10-12, 01:01 PM
We once ran into a Astral Deva who we promptly dubbed "Dave".

Moriato
2009-10-12, 01:18 PM
Right now I'm playing a fighter who specializes in pistols, named "Flint Locke"

Edit: Although I never actually done it, there's a couple of Vampire: The masquerade characters I've always wanted to make. One is a Tzimitce named James Carlisle, or "Jimmy C" to his friends, and the other is Samuel DeCaide, or "Sammy D", a Samedi.

Piedmon_Sama
2009-10-12, 01:30 PM
I have important NPCs already introduced or going to be introduced named Nero Caesar, Britannicus, Claudius Caesar, Trymalchio, a feminine form of Nodens (Nodine), Accons, and Dumnorix. All names familiar if you know your classical history, and pretty big clues as to the role each plays.

Eldan
2009-10-12, 01:44 PM

I tried three or four versions of pronouncing that last name, but I don't think I get it. Care to explain for the stupid?

Jayabalard
2009-10-12, 01:46 PM
I tried three or four versions of pronouncing that last name, but I don't think I get it. Care to explain for the stupid?My Groin

Extra text so that I can reply.

nightwyrm
2009-10-12, 01:50 PM
I once made a ray focused sorcerer named Ray Gunn.

Choco
2009-10-12, 02:04 PM
I had a one-eyed swashbuckler named William Rika. 2 puns in 1!

Cespenar
2009-10-12, 02:09 PM
I have a d20 Modern character ready, Justin Case. :smalltongue:

Dogmantra
2009-10-12, 02:13 PM
I have a d20 Modern character ready, Justin Case. :smalltongue:

I've always wanted to play his cousin: Justin Time.

J.Gellert
2009-10-12, 02:19 PM
Dunge Onmaster. :smallamused:

Thajocoth
2009-10-12, 02:34 PM
Lorendai "Lore" Quelaevin, Eladrin Wizard. The shortened version of his name ("Lore") also hints at the fact that he had insane modifiers for every knowledge skill. Status: Retired to study undead. Used as a frail nerd type NPC in a game I'm running.

Hank L. Biter, Halfling Rogue. The L stands for Lucky. He's short even for a Halfling. If anyone doesn't get it... "Ankle Biter". Status: Saving a village of Halflings.

Moorale, Dwarven Fighter. Drunker than most dwarves, ale is the only motivation he needs for anything. Status: Dead

Struct, Warforged Artificer. He's a construct that constructs constructs. Also, he constructed Relic, his Canine Construct (familiar). Status: Serving a party of adventurers for his own ego.

Cespenar
2009-10-12, 02:34 PM
I've always wanted to play his cousin: Justin Time.

Yeah, as opposed to his cousin's careful planning, mastermind-like nature, this one lives on adrenaline and specializes in last minute saves.

mabriss lethe
2009-10-12, 02:53 PM
Two characters I've played in a the same campaign

1. The Baron Manfred von Schadenfreude: A goblin circus performer turned lancer mounted on red clad wardogs (multiple puns) I wound up retiring him once we had a better party lineup for the next character

2. Charles Akilingwerd: Warlock/Chameleon/Mobile gun emplacement that somehow doubles as the only competent caster in the party's history...... with access to only second level spells and a handful of invocations, when we've had full druids and full clerics at the table. That should tell you the caliber of casters we've had.

Revlid
2009-10-12, 03:08 PM
Yeah, as opposed to his cousin's careful planning, mastermind-like nature, this one lives on adrenaline and specializes in last minute saves.

Or their Exalted counterpart - Justin Credible.

Or their sceptical Hunter: The Vigil counterpart, a member of Nox Mysteris - Justin Credulous.

Thajocoth
2009-10-12, 03:24 PM

Huon Stuno.

I don't get it. There are a few others I don't get too, but for those posters have explicitly said they're based on famous people or known Eberron NPCs.

Jayabalard
2009-10-12, 03:28 PM
I don't get it. There are a few others I don't get too, but for those posters have explicitly said they're based on famous people or known Eberron NPCs.Translation: who wants to know?

Eldan
2009-10-12, 03:31 PM
By Eberron based you mean Grey D'Orien?
Well, Orien is a noble house in Eberron, d' is the traditional title of a member.
Dorian Grey, which sounds similar, is a literary figure.

FerhagoRosewood
2009-10-12, 03:35 PM
I gave the party their own Deckard Cain to give info on the strange world they live in.

His name? Lon Gexposition.

Kurald Galain
2009-10-12, 03:41 PM
Struct, Warforged Artificer. He's a construct that constructs constructs. Also, he constructed Relic, his Canine Construct (familiar). Status: Serving a party of adventurers for his own ego.

I would totally have called him Von Neumann :smallbiggrin:

Say, anyone remember Maynard Q. Plotdevice?

AslanCross
2009-10-12, 05:50 PM
I tried three or four versions of pronouncing that last name, but I don't think I get it. Care to explain for the stupid?

"Holding My Groin, Loving My Groin, Spots on My Groin, Carressing My Groin"

This would lead to situations like "Are you Holden Magroen?" "Damn right ye are!"
:smallsigh:

Ormur
2009-10-12, 06:50 PM
I had a very hard time figuring out a suitable fantasy name for my first D&D character, an elven wizard, so I just named him Thelonius Monk. I don't think my DM recognized the name anyway.

As a DM I named the petty thugs in one town descriptively, Žorpar, Gerpar etc. which translates roughly as Thug-y and Creep-y.

ondonaflash
2009-10-12, 07:32 PM

And since he was petrified and turned to stone, he was also a Rock Robster

kjones
2009-10-12, 09:11 PM
Or their Exalted counterpart - Justin Credible.

Or their sceptical Hunter: The Vigil counterpart, a member of Nox Mysteris - Justin Credulous.

Justin is a good name for a time-traveling Irishman... Justin, the Mick of Time.

(Apologies to Spider Robinson.)

Aron Times
2009-10-12, 09:22 PM
My 4E character is Argent Gish, former shielding swordmage rebuilt into a warlord/wizard. A cooke for whoever figures it out.:smallsmile:

drengnikrafe
2009-10-12, 11:29 PM
Mine aren't exactly funny, but they are descriptive.

Lute Shadowbane, the rogue/bard.
Thogsmash the half-orc barbarian.
Actually, that's it.

Belobog
2009-10-12, 11:54 PM
Most of my names are supposed to describe some facet of the character (I.E. an ambitious merchant named Vincent Edith, "Victor over Happiness"), but lately, I've fallen out of that. I still stick to names that I know are actual names, though.

Then again, Gnarl Axnhed can fit quite a few different concepts very well...

Zaq
2009-10-12, 11:59 PM
My current character's name is so obscure it hardly even counts as a pun.

His first name is Sanden. He's based, loosely, on the 18th-century kibyōshi "Grilled and Basted Edo-Born Playboy" by Santō Kyōden.

(What? Stop looking at me like that. Edo period literature is awesome. Especially satire. What?)

It wasn't D&D, but a friend of mine once came up with the name Basil, the Sage of Time.

NeoVid
2009-10-13, 03:56 PM
Oh man, have I ever. I'll post some of the ones I've done for RPG campaigns later, but for now, there was my old Blood Bowl team, the E. Ville Spirits:

Hugh Jorgan
Mike Lit
Phill McCracken
Hugh Jaywhole
Pat Maenads
Richard Weed
Mike Rotch
Harry Balzac
Hugh G Rection
Richard Hertz
Harry Pitts

And their head coach, "Swingin'" Richard Head.

Many of my opponents refused to use my players' names.

Dogmantra
2009-10-13, 03:59 PM
It wasn't D&D, but a friend of mine once came up with the name Basil, the Sage of Time.

Tell your friend he is a genius from me. I love this name so much.

T.G. Oskar
2009-10-13, 05:45 PM
One of the last games in the short 4-6 month sessions of games we had involved Escape to Castle Ravenloft. We decided to work in some new characters, new ideas which we hadn't played. So, we ended up with two monks in the party (I was one of them).

One was a pretty straightforward Warforged Monk with an enchanted battlefist. He decided to call his character "Bruiser Lee".

Mine was a bit more complex: Githzerai Monk, dabbling a bit into psionics in order to get into Zerth Cenobite (with the purpose of getting close enough to a single power that would have destroyed the entire game). Although he didn't had the feat (...yet), I decided to go with the "punny" names and gave him the unthinkable name of "Cho'kk Borris". Hyphenated for the alien feel.

In another game we had, the Bard that followed us, was our treasurer, and somehow our anchor to common sense had a particular name, and followed a bunch of similarly themed names: Molto Crescendo Hammer. He was well into giving honor to his name, soon to become a Sublime Chord with "sick" dancing moves.

GnomeNinja
2009-10-13, 05:56 PM
Francis Tankard "Tank" MacGuffin, Esquire, a Dwarf Fighter.
Why "Esquire?"
Because he's that good at defending people!

Jade_Tarem
2009-10-13, 06:00 PM

Shouldn't that be Basil, the Sage of Thyme? Although maybe your friend didn't want to be that obvious...

Quirinus_Obsidian
2009-10-13, 06:02 PM
Playing in a Star Wars Saga game, we have a scoundrel with the name... Tyer O'Diss

Kallisti
2009-10-13, 06:18 PM
In one game I played, we had a ranger named Clint Westwood. He was from, obviously, the village of Westwood over by the West Wood. What?

Zaq
2009-10-13, 11:19 PM
Shouldn't that be Basil, the Sage of Thyme? Although maybe your friend didn't want to be that obvious...

Precisely. You're right on both counts.