PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Creating an Adeptus Sororitas character

Grumman
2009-10-12, 07:15 AM
I'm unlikely to use the idea any time in the near future, but I was thinking of how you would best create this character in D&D. For those unfamiliar with Warhammer 40,000, the character would be a human soldier in a religious army, wearing really good armour and carrying weapons like flamethrowers, chainsaw swords or guns that are more or less small, automatic rocket launchers. They can draw on their faith to do minor things like do more damage or shrug off attacks, but anything explicitly magical is out.

I'm thinking the build would start off with Ranger 4 with a lot of ACFs (Urban Ranger, Distracting Shot, Champion of the Wild, Favoured Enemy: Arcanists). Armour would probably be a glassteel Tumbler's Breastplate. I'm unsure of how you would best represent a flamethrower or bolter.

Thoughts?

hamishspence
2009-10-12, 07:18 AM
Quick-loading Crossbow (Magic Item Compendium) with Exploding Bolts (Complete Warrior) might be one way of doing a bolter.

100 shot magazine, loads as a free action, allowing you to use your full attack.

If Exploding Bolts don't fit perfectly, there are probably other types of ammo that fit better.

Class? Maybe crusader.

Johel
2009-10-12, 07:50 AM
Flamethrower :
Custom magic item
Command word : "Burn the Heretics !!"
Burning Hands, CL5, SL1
That's 1.800 x 5 x 1 = 9.000 gp for a cone dealing 5d4 fire damage. unlimited use, 1 standard action to use.

Bolter :
Masterwork Heavy Crossbow, Repeating
550 gp
Special bolts :
Bolts +1 (Flaming), repeating crossbow (50)
8.310 gp
Bolts +1 (Distance), repeating crossbow (50)
8.310 gp
Bolts +1 (Holy), repeating crossbow (50)
18.310 gp
Bolts +1 (Axiomatic), repeating crossbow (50)
18.310 gp

If you want to go for only one type of bolts, you better make the Heavy Crossbow a "magical Heavy Crossbow", as it will be a lot cheaper in the long run.

Crusader Bolter :
Magical Heavy Crossbow +1, Repeating, (Flaming, Holy)
32.550 gp
Inferno Bolter :
Magical Heavy Crossbow +1, Repeating, (Flaming)
8.550 gp
Retribution Bolter :
Magical Heavy Crossbow +1, Repeating, (Holy)
18.550 gp

If you want to go the "strictly non-magical way" :
Flamethrower :
1.000 gp
Effect :
Each use produces a 10 feet cone attack that deals 1d4+1 fire damage.
A DC 15 Reflex Save halves the damages.
Ammunition : flasks of alchemist’s Fire
The flask must be changed every 5 uses.
Changing a flask is a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity.
Misfire :
Each time he used the flamethrower, the user must test for misfire.
Roll 1d20.
On a 1, the flames just die because of some odd alchemical reaction.
On a 20, the flamethrower explodes.
Bolter :
Masterwork Heavy Crossbow, Repeating
Bolts :
Explosive Bolts.

Grumman
2009-10-16, 04:24 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'd probably go for the Splitting enhancement, too. That gives her 10 bolts with Improved Rapid Shot instead of just 5 with a repeating crossbow. And rather than paying for a Holy bolter, it would be cheaper to just use a Fiendslayer crystal (3,000 gp instead of +2).

Class? Maybe crusader.
The theme certainly fits, but how effective is ToB for ranged characters? Aren't a lot of maneuvers melee only?

arguskos
2009-10-16, 04:27 AM
The theme certainly fits, but how effective is ToB for ranged characters? Aren't a lot of maneuvers melee only?
Ironically, Eldarial did a run down of this in another thread just now. The consensus is that there's a number of specific maneuvers that are choice with ranged, and everything else just blows for it. Here you are, halfway through that post. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7132724&postcount=8)

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-16, 07:13 AM
Clockwork Armor (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070212a)

Master_Rahl22
2009-10-16, 09:58 AM
That's cool that we've managed to replicate a Bolter and Power Armor. You know, now I'm inspired to recreate a Necron Lord. I'm thinking some kind of Warforged caster to get all the cool time slows down, fear, lightning, etc. abilities. :smallbiggrin:

hamishspence
2009-10-16, 10:13 AM
Possibilities (since the Sisters have three types of bolt weapon with the same Str and AP, but different rates of fire.)

Bolt pistol is Quick Loading Hand Crossbow that fires Exploding Bolts (maybe with the Quick Loading property upgraded to Self-Loading, since you still need a hand free to load as a free action)

Two of these and you have a Seraphim.

Bolter is Quick Loading Light Crossbow that fires Exploding Bolts

Storm bolter- to get the extra rate of fire, is Self-Loading Splitting Light Crossbow that fires Exploding Bolts (since you can blaze away with it, and assault, with a weapon in the other hand).

I think Complete Adventurer or Complete Scoundrel might have rules for bayonets that fit to crossbows.

Self Loading is basically Quick Loading upgraded to not require hand free, and is my homebrew variant.

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-16, 10:33 AM
If you want a flamethrower, don't use a magic item. Get a Warforged Scout (MM3) Dragonfire Adept and carry him under your arm. Unlimited ammo, and efficient! Oh, and if fire isn't working, acid/cold/electricity/force will. Make him Dragonborn to have a hovering Flame Thrower!