PDA

View Full Version : Help with a character [3.5]

Myrmex
2009-10-12, 09:01 AM
Wow I typed a lot.
I'll spoiler the junk.

I need a hobgoblin "paladin" that's basically a DMM cleric.

Books available:
3.0 core
3.0 tome & blood, masters of the wild, defenders of the faith, song & silence
3.0 Player's Guide to Kalamar
3.0 BoED, BoVD, Something about Planes, Epic Handbook
3.5 Complete Adventurer, Mage, Arcane, Divine, Warrior, maybe psionic
3.5 Draconomicon, XPH, Libris Mortis, Lords of Madness, Spell Compendium

In the spoiler: rambling & some pertinent houserules.

I really like monstrous races, but due to the elf-fapism inherent in D&D, they almost universally suck. My first character was a half-orc barbarian with awesome stats, and was buckets of fun to play.

Anyway, I play in a 3.0 core + 3.5 supplements game with no errata (weird, I know), and found that the Hobgoblin is LA +0 with pretty sweet abilities. It's a little more powerful than a dwarf, really. It's also a brutal, cunning, martial creature.

So I want to play a hobgoblin, but I'm not sure exactly what build. I'm having difficulty deciding on a concept to play.

First I was thinking a gish, then a paladin, then a cleric.

Basically I want to wield a big sword, wear sweet armor, cast spells, be confident in my abilities (powerful, ie, full caster), and eventually lead the goblins to greatness. Sort of like Thrall from Warcraft, except less lame. More like Ogrimm Doomhammer or one of the badass Orcs that came through the Dark Portal in the First War.

Right now I'm basically looking at a CoDzilla with a cloistered cleric base.

I'm thinking lawful neutral worshipper of the Kalamar's Heironeous analogue that has a Greatsword as his favored weapon and the war domain. Since we're starting at level 1, the +1 to hit & 2d6 damage will be nice. However, this means I have to follow a LG deity. Not sure if I can handle a stick up the bottom, and if I want to get the Mysticism PRESTIGE domain (charisma to saving throws), I need to be either evil or good.

Also, Undeath will be off limits, which is free persisting spells.

Cloistered cleric also lacks armor proficiency, which I would like to have & use.

Alternatively, going into the Hexer PrC (masters of the wild) looks really attractive. Get to add wizard spells to my divine list, sweet gaze attacks, full casting, full BAB, and two good saves. Decent HD, too. Problem: need to cast lightning bolt as a divine spell. Only the adept can do that (no access to archivist class). If I could go into Hexer, I'd play a witch-sort that wielded a quarterstaff with Spikes cast on it. Very shamanistic.

So- a build for a crusading, religious zealot who wishes to rally his people and build a culture to rival that of humans & elves

And a build for a shamanistic, wandering fellow (who goes into Hexer) that seeks to bring about a unification of his (or her) people in a less kick-in-the-door fashion.

I was thinking wraithstrike + powerattacking 3.0 using gish, but it just doesn't feel "religious" enough for me. If I'm really such a faithful fanatic, why don't I cast divine spells?

Ok Playground, let's see what your fertile imaginations and talented optimization prowess can do!

A few things to note:
As written, I can get DMM: Persist with only one feat; Divine Metamagic. No need for the planning domain, or the actual metamagic feats.

We start at level 1, treasure is by roll. DM's rather old school with loot. I can't plan on getting any old thing when I want.

The game will run mostly on rails. Hiding in a MMM all day and teleporting out to solo a couple monsters won't work. Being able to slaughter large numbers of humanoid shaped creatures is valuable. Great Cleave & fireball actually work out quite nicely.

3.0 Holy Word, etc are kinda bad except vs. very weak things. Harm is awesome. Divine Power just boosts your strength to 18 with an enhancement bonus.

3.0 Haste is unbelievable. The earlier I can get access to it, THE BETTER.