PDA

View Full Version : Demon's Souls

SuperMuldoon
2009-10-12, 09:54 AM
Surprised I haven't seen a thread on this game yet! For those of you not in the know, Demon's Souls is a 3rd person action/adventure style game that is BRUTALLY HARD. In todays game environment of frequent checkpoints, regenerating health and crazy powerups, Demon's Souls does away with all that and just pummels you with huge bosses and regular enemies that can kill you in one hit if you aren't careful. And death is a big deal because when you die you lose all your souls - which is the currency for this game. Souls buy you level ups, equipment and magic spells. If you die you have a chance to get them back if you can touch your 'bloodstain', which is where you were killed - but now every enemy is back and you have to go through the whole level again. It can be frustrating at times - but the gameplay is so good and so fun that it is all worth it when you finally beat that boss thats been killing you for the past 2 hours. There's a lot more to the game too, but the info is all over the web so check it out!

I guess the main point of this thread is to see if anybody else is playing this game - or is on the fence about getting it (I reccommend it!) :smallbiggrin:

Eakin
2009-10-13, 12:07 AM
Well it's on my gamefly Q so I'm sure I'll get to it in a couple of months, but nothing about it really screamed "must buy" to me. I guess I'll have to see if it's hard but fair or just cheap difficulty

Lord of Rapture
2009-10-13, 04:20 AM
Well, it's by Atlus. I've heard nothing but good things about their Persona games, and having very much enjoyed Yggdra Union, I might check it out if I have the time and money.

Oregano
2009-10-13, 06:25 AM
Well, it's by Atlus. I've heard nothing but good things about their Persona games, and having very much enjoyed Yggdra Union, I might check it out if I have the time and money.

It's not actually developed by Atlus, they're just publishing it in America. It was developed by From Software who are responsible for Armoured Core and Tenchu IIRC.

JabberwockySupafly
2009-10-13, 06:34 AM
It's not actually developed by Atlus, they're just publishing it in America. It was developed by From Software who are responsible for Armoured Core and Tenchu IIRC.

And more importantly, the King's Field series, which is one of the best series of RPGs out there. I've been playing D.S. off and on for the past 6 or so months. The Asian version came fully voiced & translated into English, so I imported it forever ago. It is a great deal of fun, especially if you're a fan of challenging games. Challing meaning not arbitrarily, or "Ninja Gaiden stupid" hard where it takes luck to suceed, but "Monster Hunter" hard, where it comes down to skill and patience when fighting your enemies. Definitely one of my top five games for the PS3.

Oregano
2009-10-13, 07:08 AM
...but "Monster Hunter" hard, where it comes down to skill and patience when fighting your enemies. Definitely one of my top five games for the PS3.

From what I've seen it looks very much like Monster Hunter.

SuperMuldoon
2009-10-13, 09:01 AM
I have never played the Monster Hunter series but I have been told it plays similar. In regards to the difficulty, the game is really hard but not cheap - it's a level of difficulty where you can learn and adapt to beat.

valadil
2009-10-13, 09:05 AM
It looks cool. Is there a plot or is it pure hack and slash?

Typewriter
2009-10-13, 09:48 AM
Theres a plot, and while it isn't super deep or anything it's a lot of fun. I really love the game, just completed my first play-through.

As far as difficulty - the game is very, very challenging, but every time you die, it's your fault. You can win the hardest fights in the game at 'Level' 1 if you take the time to learn it, but you can also die to the weakest enemy in the game at level 700 if you're not paying close attention. It's a very realistic, fair, mideival combat experience.

My only complaint with the game is that you can get invaded by other players, and you don't have a say in it. It wouldn't be such a big deal for me if not for the fact that my PS3 has had issues since the day I got it and the controller desyncs constantly, so all of a sudden I have to resync my controller in the middle of a fight with someone who attacks me I'm more than likely just going to reset the console so that I don't have to bother with the difficulties of dying, which is rather annoying.

Great game. A+++, tons of replay value.