PDA

View Full Version : Perpetual fear

Ichneumon
2009-10-12, 01:25 PM
I just realised that we always live in fear, every second of our lives. Fear of dying, fear of living. Fear of never attaining what we want, fear of losing what we have. Fear of being wrong, fear of being right. Fear of being alone, fear of meeting certain people. Fear for others, fear in behalf of others. It seems we have learned to deal with this kind of perpetual fear in our daily lives, as most people don't see it as abnormal or that much of a hinder, but it is interesting though that we are ALWAYS afraid of something, isn't it? Most of all, I think, it is uncertainty.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-12, 01:28 PM
I just realised that we always live in fear, every second of our lives. Fear of dying, fear of living. Fear of never attaining what we want, fear of losing what we have. Fear of being wrong, fear of being right. Fear of being alone, fear of meeting certain people. Fear for others, fear in behalf of others. It seems we have learned to deal with this kind of perpetual fear in our daily lives, as most people don't see it as abnormal or that much of a hinder, but it is interesting though that we are ALWAYS afraid of something, isn't it? Most of all, I think, it is uncertainty.

Fear is one of the most powerful motivators in life. I do my best not to be afraid of things I don't need to fear, and to adapt to those I still fear anyway.

Nameless
2009-10-12, 01:30 PM
I'm not afraid of everything, I'm just cautious or wary of them. but yes, I see what you mean.
For example, I'm not scared of my knives, but I'm cautious as to not accidentally cut myself, so I handle it carefully.

Quincunx
2009-10-12, 01:30 PM
We?

I had a fearless past; I will have a fearless future.
[EDIT: I could have a fearless present, but I like sex too much.]

Keld Denar
2009-10-12, 01:32 PM
Eh, I'm actually extremely thankful that I've always been kinda a happy go lucky kinda guy. I know there is stuff to be afraid of. I sometimes do feel afraid when there are certain stimulii present. For the most part though, I accept that there is either nothing I can do or no point in getting upset. Its worked out pretty well for me so far!

Ichneumon
2009-10-12, 01:36 PM
I just wanted to add that I am an idealist and have a very optimistic demeanor. Just thought I'd say that, before people start thinking I am suicidal again...

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-12, 01:41 PM
We?

I had a fearless past; I will have a fearless future.
[EDIT: I could have a fearless present, but I like sex too much.]

*snuggles and giggles*...I love you. =3

And Ichy, it was the whole "suffering is more powerful than joy" thing that made people think that. But it's ok. *huggles too*

Telonius
2009-10-12, 01:50 PM
Fear is there to serve you, very much like pain. A life totally free of either of them would be very difficult and run a high risk of ending abruptly.

Icewalker
2009-10-12, 01:54 PM
Nameless put it well: I feel that I don't really act based on fear, but on caution. It's similar, but I am not actively afraid of things, really.

Trog
2009-10-12, 01:55 PM
Fear sucks. Live in the now. :smallsmile: Wish I could more. *sigh*

Ichneumon
2009-10-12, 01:59 PM
Fear sucks. Live in the now. :smallsmile: Wish I could more. *sigh*

To live your life happy you need to live completely in the present, not thinking about what is gone or what will/could be. Yet to have a life of meaning, whatever the exact definition of that would be, you need to think about the past and obsess about the future.

EDIT: wow, I just used tv series philosophy, that was almost a complete quote from Heroes. It's almost as bad as saying "with great powers comes great responsibility".

Mando Knight
2009-10-12, 02:18 PM
It's almost as bad as saying "with great powers comes great responsibility".

Yes, because everyone knows that with great power comes great time derivative of energy. :smalltongue:

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-12, 02:18 PM
Yes, because everyone knows that with great power comes great time derivative of energy. :smalltongue:

...watt? >.>

Trog
2009-10-12, 02:21 PM
To live your life happy you need to live completely in the present, not thinking about what is gone or what will/could be. Yet to have a life of meaning, whatever the exact definition of that would be, you need to think about the past and obsess about the future.

EDIT: wow, I just used tv series philosophy, that was almost a complete quote from Heroes. It's almost as bad as saying "with great powers comes great responsibility".
Yes, yes. I already know all that. But knowing the path and walking the path are very different things. :smallwink:

bosssmiley
2009-10-12, 03:06 PM

Speak for yourself. And stop reading Sartre. He was a Frog and therefore wanted to spread the pain of his filthy, garlic-reeking quasi-existence as broadly as possible, like some vile French clap of the mind.

Go read some Kipling, Alistair MacLean or David Gemmell until your cowering soul once again smells of freshly cut grass, leather and walnut, damp spaniels and a recently discharged shotgun.

Fear keeps us cowering in darkness and ignorance when we could be putting men on Mars and fixing the problems the 20th century left us with.

Fear is the mindkiller. So f*** fear! :smallamused:

MCerberus
2009-10-12, 03:11 PM
Nameless put it well: I feel that I don't really act based on fear, but on caution. It's similar, but I am not actively afraid of things, really.

Caution is the fear of what may happen. It's a tiny minor fear but one that's been with humanity forever.

Anyway, nobody's done it yet so I'll be the first.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Ichneumon
2009-10-12, 03:14 PM
I'm all in favor of facing your fears and overcoming them. We need to go to mars! But you can't deny that the fears are reals and a constant presence, even if we ignore and try to overcome them.

Spiryt
2009-10-12, 03:29 PM
But you can't deny that the fears are reals and a constant presence, even if we ignore and try to overcome them.

Well, maybe I'm not following, but fear is indeed constantly present.

So is anger, joy, disgust, and other emotions that allow us to react properly.

And even with all changes than civilization brought, they still work pretty well. So they're going to stay, probably.

Thajocoth
2009-10-12, 03:49 PM

Those are not things I fear.

"Fear of never attaining what we want" - I've already attained everything I want. Now I just want more of it, better of it, and to enjoy it.

"fear of losing what we have" - I have backup plans, theories and contingencies. If somehow every last one of them fails, I can still be an organ donor. (It would take many many years and many many natural ones to crash that hard.)

"Fear of dying" - I do not fear death. When I achieved the majority of my life's goals, I decided that I no longer mind the concept, but will not rush it along either. When it comes, it comes.

"fear of living" - I don't fear living... But sometimes I do need an invitation. I'd never have started D&D or Snowboarding in the past year if friends hadn't asked me to, and I enjoy them both. Something smaller I'll do alone, like go to a movie, but riding down a mountain wouldn't really be the same without a few friends to talk to about it when I reach the bottom.

"Fear of being wrong" - I'm never wrong. Sometimes misinformed, but given only the information I have, my conclusions are correct.

"fear of being right" - This makes no sense.

"Fear of being alone" - Being alone is fun sometimes. It's good to have a mix of both.

"fear of meeting certain people" - I guess I wouldn't want to meet somebody who'd want to torture me... But the probability is just so low that I don't worry about it.

"Fear for others" - Is that fear? I think it's hope. "I hope they get out of that bad situation." Well, for me at least...

"fear in behalf of others" - How is this different from "Fear for others"?

-----

I'm not saying I have NO fears... Those just aren't the things I fear.

When I see somebody take out a Tupperware container or paper bag... Or I hear the sounds of the buttons on the microwave... I get a jolt of fear. What am I about to smell? Am I going to have to leave because of it? What are the consequences of leaving right now? One time I left work only a few hours into it because of this. Wandered around Manhattan for a while... Came back hours later with a Febreeze contraption. I just can't function if my throat's closing up, burning, my brain's in panic mode... And most food smells have those sorts of effects. (Supposed to only happen when you smell something vile and rancid, like a rotting corpse, but all of my senses are stronger than average, so it can happen on less strong odors for me than for most people.)

The next thing I fear is needles, even though I know they're not THAT bad. And damage to my hands... I have to play video games regularly, for both personal and professional reasons. Though, one of my backup plans/contingencies is specifically for if my hands become too damaged and prosthetics are somehow not an option.

CrimsonAngel
2009-10-12, 03:52 PM
I'm afraid of the dark and being alone in a quiet environment. I'll totaly go into a pitchblack room with friends though.

^: Oh, you can be afraid of being right.

'Me'Hah, the principle is such a jerk... She's standing right behind me, isn't she?

'friend' *nod*

Kneenibble
2009-10-12, 04:56 PM
I'm with bosssmiley, man. It's one thing to live a life embodied in an organism and obliged by a public life that give rise to different kinds of conditioned fears, but it's another thing to live a life in fear. The litany against fear is powerful because it acknowledges fear but does not allow it to limit possibilities for action. One fruit of wisdom is choosing one's master wisely, and fear is at best a low-ranking advisor at the round table of consciousness.

snoopy13a
2009-10-12, 05:45 PM
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself"
-Jedi Master Yoda

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering."
-Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Or is it the other way around :smalltongue:

Thatguyoverther
2009-10-12, 05:55 PM
Speak for yourself. And stop reading Sartre. He was a Frog and therefore wanted to spread the pain of his filthy, garlic-reeking quasi-existence as broadly as possible, like some vile French clap of the mind.

This made me giggle. Although I have to disagree with the French thing Descartes was French, and I happen to like Descartes. Of course he was Pre-Napolean French...

The trick to conquering fear is not caring about he outcome. Stop giving a ****. It's very Zen.

Keld Denar
2009-10-12, 06:05 PM
...watt? >.>

Awww, poor Cobra is a little slow today. Linked for your viewing pleasure...

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/ohm.png

Solaris
2009-10-12, 06:10 PM
The trick to conquering fear is not caring about he outcome. Stop giving a ****. It's very Zen.

Alternatively, clear minefields with your boots. Gives you a wonderful perspective on things.

Thajocoth
2009-10-12, 06:13 PM
Awww, poor Cobra is a little slow today. Linked for your viewing pleasure...

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/ohm.png

You realize... He said "watt?" and watt is a unit of power, right? I was pretty sure he was going for a pun there, which I found to be mildly humorous.

Thatguyoverther
2009-10-12, 06:20 PM
Alternatively, clear minefields with your boots. Gives you a wonderful perspective on things.

I like to walk into traffic, with my eyes closed. Or decide to drive on the wrong side of the road at high speeds.

Once you can do it without getting a buzz. You've gotten over the whole fear thing, or developed severe mental problems, depending on who you ask.

Solaris
2009-10-12, 06:22 PM
You realize... He said "watt?" and watt is a unit of power, right? I was pretty sure he was going for a pun there, which I found to be mildly humorous.

As far as puns go, it was hilarious.

I like to walk into traffic, with my eyes closed. Or decide to drive on the wrong side of the road at high speeds.

Once you can do it without getting a buzz. You've gotten over the whole fear thing, or developed severe mental problems, depending on who you ask.

See, I do my crazy because I'm ordered to do it. Your crazy actually puts others at risk. Civilians, noncombatants. That's bad juju.

Xyk
2009-10-12, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Yoda

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

Yoda can't be wrong. Therefor either we are all on the path to the dark side or you have some logical errors.

Solaris
2009-10-12, 06:26 PM
Yoda can't be wrong. Therefor either we are all on the path to the dark side or you have some logical errors.

At least we have cookies.

KnightDisciple
2009-10-12, 07:09 PM

You might live every second with fear. Myself, not as much.

Fear of dying - not really, no.

Fear of living - nope.

Fear of never attaining what I want - sure, sometimes.

Fear of losing what I have - sometimes.

Fear of being wrong - not really.

Fear of being right - uh, not really, no.

Fear of being alone - I like being alone sometimes.

Fear of meeting certain people - If "certain people" means "serial killers", sure.

Fear for others / in behalf of others - only if given reason to.

I think you overestimate the presence of fear in people's lives. :smallwink:

Thatguyoverther
2009-10-12, 07:24 PM
See, I do my crazy because I'm ordered to do it. Your crazy actually puts others at risk. Civilians, noncombatants. That's bad juju.

But isn't that the point? Liberating yourself from attachments to object persons and ideas is the only way to end pain and fear.

Not that pain and fear is necessarily a bad thing.

Solaris
2009-10-12, 07:30 PM
But isn't that the point? Liberating yourself from attachments to object persons and ideas is the only way to end pain and fear.

Not that pain and fear is necessarily a bad thing.

No, not so much. See, my detachment's by necessity. Yours is a blatant disregard for others' lives. There's a difference between not being afraid and being wantonly dangerous.

Icewalker
2009-10-13, 12:14 AM
Oh! I realized there is ONE thing I am currently terribly paranoid about: the chance of rain in Tilden park in Berkeley on the 20th of February in the late afternoon.

Yarram
2009-10-13, 01:52 AM
I think that some of us are forgetting that while fear is a negative emotion, it is not necessarily a bad thing. Fear of the consequences of putting other people in danger is a very good thing.
Fear is useful both to moderate those without understanding of something to performing an action regarding it, and to protect us from unanticipated consequence though caution.
I see caution as any action thats presence reduces fear, like looking above you when you enter the dungeon. If you don't look above yourself, you aren't afraid, so you aren't using caution, and if you do, you must be somewhat afraid (even minimally) of something being above you or else you wouldn't look. Otherwise, why look at all, if not for curiosities sake.

I'm not afraid of death, or of living (I don't really understand what's meant by that though), but I am afraid of pain. Why? Because it hurts.
This doesn't mean I take irrational steps to avoid pain, because a lot of the time, desire for fun mitigates fear of pain, but I will never do something that will hurt me on purpose, even if it is perceived as fun, unless I've done it before accidentally, so I know the pain is minimal.

kpenguin
2009-10-13, 01:58 AM
I just wanted to add that I am an idealist and have a very optimistic demeanor. Just thought I'd say that, before people start thinking I am suicidal again...

People have thought you're suicidal before?

golentan
2009-10-13, 03:59 AM
I'm afraid of not accomplishing something before I die, and of losing people I care about, but other than that I'd say I'm not really afraid.

I've got this little shutoff for things like fear and sympathy and all the other stuff. I feel it, I acknowledge it, and if it's big enough to hinder I just... Stop listening. If something is hopeless, it's not worth worrying about whether you'll fail so just make everyone know you tried or enjoy your last moments as much as you can depending on the situation. To quote Schlock: "It's the end of the world. We don't run. WE CHARGE!" If someone has broken their leg, quit empathizing with them, shove a stick in their teeth and set that bone. You can empathize after they're alright, but never let your feelings keep you from posing a solution to why you feel that way, ya know?

I agree with Yarram that fear isn't usually as bad as people make it out to be.

And @Thatguyoverthere: Seriously, WTF. There are better ways of thrill/deathseeking. Ones that don't risk others. Try bungie, all of the thrill, none of the danger. Alternatively, find some potentially lethal activity you can undertake by yourself. Please?

Eldan
2009-10-13, 04:14 AM
Heck, yes. I'm constantly afraid of pretty much everything. I can't sit on a chair without constantly thinking that it might break and I might fall over backward and then bang my head on the wall and break my skull and then the ambulance might arrive late, or there might be a traffic problem and they couldn't get me to the hospital, and if they did, the surgeon could screw up, or I could get a hospital disease, and they'd have to amputate my leg and then the wound would fester and then...

And so on. It's rather annoying and I try to ignore it as much as possible. And no, psychiatrists didn't help.

Toastkart
2009-10-13, 06:02 AM
I agree. As a general rule we live in fear so profoundly deep that we don't even acknowledge its existence. We act to avoid the existential anxieties: fear of death, fear of freedom, and fear of responsibility, along with a few others.

I'm also sure it doesn't help that our economics and politics are built on fear, too.

SilverSheriff
2009-10-13, 08:26 AM
I'm never wrong the way I look at it. There are Infinite universes and I've got to be right in at least a few of them.

now all I have to do is work on my Arachnophobia....:smallbiggrin:

Zincorium
2009-10-13, 08:49 AM
This is gonna be one of those things that just doesn't make sense.

For me, 'Fear' doesn't exist in some nebulous, all encompassing thing like the OP seems to be saying. It's very specific, very immediate, and very rare.

If someone is playing with gas and lighters, I am at that time in fear of being lit on fire. I don't fear being on fire right this second, because I don't see it happening. But that's probably the only thing I'm phobic of (did I mention I've been through three house fires?).

I don't fear the future- it's an interesting thing that I want to see. Death will be a big old jump, whether to anywhere or not is a question I want to see answered.

Ilena
2009-10-13, 09:02 AM
I hold much fear myself, just this morning i heard a noise leaving for work this morning at like 5 am and locked my car door as soon as i got in, i had a dream, well a nightmare of someone coming after me while i was in my car, its alot more complex then that but ya, and so for a week i practicly ran to my car and locked it as soon as i could, its the irrational fears that get me, like walking in a forest alone i felt as if wolves would jump out and eat me, though i know it wasnt true, wolves wouldnt hurt me but ya ... normal fear can be controlled, irrational fear is what gets you :P

Tar Palantir
2009-10-13, 01:08 PM
Fear is the belief that things will turn out worse than we want them to. I have no fear because I know how things are going to turn out: I will die, sooner or later. When I can overcome that little hurdle, I'll have plenty of time to be afraid of things.

Durp
2009-10-13, 02:41 PM
The only thing i'm afraid of is The Amazonian Candiru. Look it up.

That and dust mites. Bastards get you in your sleep.

loopy
2009-10-13, 02:49 PM
I'm not so much afraid as paranoid about everything.

I always think everyone is thinking the absolute worst about me. Not a good thing, I've had to keep it under control else it manifests as insane clingy-ness.

Dracomorph
2009-10-13, 09:43 PM
Man, I took the "fear leads to anger" step a long time ago; fear isn't usually an issue anymore. The Dark Side is delicious!

Conclusion:
Don't run from your troubles, let them flee your wrath.

Lappy9000
2009-10-13, 10:05 PM
My patron deity stands with me. And with my patron deity on my side, what have I to fear?

Conclusion:
Don't run from your troubles, let them flee your wrath.I can just see this on a "So You Want to Join the Dark Side" pamphlet :smallbiggrin:

NerfTW
2009-10-13, 10:07 PM

You "just realized" this, or did you mean to say that you just got that interview transcript in Batman Arkham Asylum? :smallconfused:

alchemyprime
2009-10-13, 10:55 PM
See, most things I'm cautious of. Those I can't be, I'm hopeful I never run into.

So... thing's I'm cautious of:

Getting into fights
Insulting girls I like
Being a jerk
Being right
Being wrong
Getting dowsed in gamma radiation then becoming angry

And thing's I hope I never run into:

Live squids
Natural 1's that I roll
Zombie plagues/trioxin/The Hunger/Black Lanterns
Ex-girlfriends besides my first one (she's still okay)
Drunk people on the road :smalleek:

Sadly... I really am afraid of all those...

But just you wait til I get a TARDIS or a GL/BL ring... hehehe...

EDIT: And yeah, I know my patron will protect me until its my time... but man, sometimes his lessons are harsh! I've had friends who are saints get messed up, and friends who are... mean... end up fine from the same scenarios! I'm just saying... Book of Job...

Recaiden
2009-10-13, 11:03 PM
I deny that fear is constant. Sure, there are times when I'm afraid. But it's nowhere near all the time.
The things you could worry about aren't in your control, so why care about them? Life's too much fun.