PDA

View Full Version : Keep on the Shadowfell -- IC

Pages : [1] 2

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-12, 05:45 PM
{table=head]Player|Character|Race|Class|Role
Hashmir|Aeran (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=159639)|Elf|Ranger (Archery)|Striker
Robek|Sadir (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=159627)|Genasi (Watersoul)|Warlord (Tactical)|Leader
Rettu Skcollob|Nosse-meoi (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=159658)|Shifter (Razorclaw)|Druid (Predator)|Controller
Jesse Drake|Glick Rifesoul (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=159681)|Doppelganger|Swordma ge (Shielding)|Defender
MCerberus|Rhivshar (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=159707)|Dragonborn (Cold)|Fighter (Greatweapon)|Defender
DnDrake|Shyla Kothar (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=169869)|Tiefling|Bard (Valorous)|Leader[/table]

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-12, 06:17 PM
For Hashmir:
You have heard rumors about a goblin tribe pestering the area around Fallcrest.

For Robek:
Douven, a lone explorer, traveled through Fallcrest some time ago. Rumor has it Douven was carrying a map revealing a dragon's tomb. No one has heard from Douven since.

For Jesse Drake:
While paying your respects to Ioun at the local temple, you overheard a hushed conversation about some terrible cult. Unfortunately, you were unable to catch a glimps of the man and woman who were talking.

MCerberus
2009-10-12, 07:30 PM
Rhivshar

Rhivshar moves silently through the streets of Fallcrest, largely ignoring the reaction the locals would have towards him. One of the straps usually securing his axe had gotten worn recently, so he carries it in his hand, holding it by the haft near the large crescent head. Unfortunately, his purse had gotten gradually lighter over the past weeks. Until some work could be found, he'd have to carry it.

Human towns always made Rhivshar a little less social. Many of them were insufferable to work for. Many others completely racist. At least they usually payed decently.

Even though the need for gold was immediate, even more immediate was getting something to eat other than trail rations. Pausing for a moment, Rhiv looks around the streets observing the moving of the citizens. The heaviest traffic usually involves booze, which sounds like a good idea right now.

Streetwise to find a tavern perhaps?
[roll0]

Jesse Drake
2009-10-12, 11:50 PM
Glick Rifesoul

Glick smiles. His current form is a blue haired, athletic young man, with a small goatee. The rumors of a cult... sounds interesting. Adventure calls him.

He discreetly attempts to find the man, but to his dismay, he's no where to be found. But perhaps, just maybe, he could find something more on this cult.

Streetwise, I guess. [roll0]

Hashmir
2009-10-13, 01:31 AM
Aeran:

Aeran crept through the forest, almost silently -- no easy feat for someone carrying a longbow and two blades. He had followed the rumors of goblins to this area, and his tracking had led him to the edge of Fallcrest. He supposed he might be able to simply continue tracking the wretched beasts to their home and slaughter them, but right now it was probably a better idea to check the town itself first.

Aeran sighed. He already knew the answer, but he still had to check the veracity of the rumors. As much as he hated the things, the fact remained that some of them were perfectly happy to live at peace with the more ... civilized ... races. It wouldn't do to go massacring on a whim, and that meant asking around. An honestly, he could go for some food that hadn't taken a few hours of stalking and cooking.

As he entered Fallcrest, Aeran looked around. He needed food and information: he needed a tavern.

Streetwise: [roll0] to find a tavern if you want us to roll for that, or to ask about the goblins at said tavern if you don't.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-13, 02:29 AM
My apologies to everyone for creating some confusion earlier ... now, let's start for real. First, an introduction to Fallcrest, and then adding on to some clues.

The various clues and hooks that have been given may result in one or more quests. How many quests you can get out of these clues is entirely up to you. Work together and expect potential skill challenges.

[hr]

Fallcrest is a surprisingly busy for its size. On an average market day, it can nearly double in size. Fallcrest is also an important stop for both travelers and adventurers. In addition to the many roads that pass through the town, the nearby river also brings many visitors.

It is not surprising that your travels have taken you here. After all, wherever you are heading next, Fallcrest would be a stop on the way during your journey.

[hr]

Aeran:
No need to roll to find a tavern ... you find one. It is quite busy, as can be expected. When you enter the tavern, you notice some townsfolk and also some people who are obviously not from around here.

Glick:
You must have been the only one who overheard the conversation. No one else seems to have a clue what you're talking about.

Nosse:
Upon entering Fallcrest you realize that finding adventurers here will be easy. As you stroll through town, you spot an elf who appears somewhat lost. He is heading for the nearest tavern.

Rhivshar:
No need to roll to find a tavern ... you find one. As you are enjoying the brew, you have been able to watch people come and go. Some townsfolk, but also out-of-towners. As you take the last swallow, an elf enters the tavern.

Sadir:
Armed with nothing but a rumor you find yourself finally in the town of Fallcrest. Certainly seems like a busy day today!

[hr]

Three of you are now in the same tavern. Sadir and Glick, feel free to meet up at the same place. Share however much/little you want about what has drawn you to Fallcrest, and what you are looking for.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-13, 04:26 AM
[I assume the Elf is Aeran]

Nosse uneasily wandered throughout Fallcrest. Small as it was, this was most likely the largest settlement he'd ever been in, and he felt out of place, uncomfortable. He longed to return to the forest and take a form that suited him more. His eyes dart to and fro, searching. A passing child asked him why he was wearing a wolf's head, pointing at his headgear, fashioned from pelt of a wolf from it's upper jaw and head, before a concerned parent whisked her away. He felt a few people staring at him, and felt a sudden need to find somewhere inside. He spots the Elf and his brow raises. A bow, and two sharp swords? No peasant carried that kind of gear. Surely, he must be an adventurer. Nosse makes his way through the crowd quickly, following the Elf as he enters the tavern. Perhaps he would be able to find an adventuring company here, finally.

Jesse Drake
2009-10-13, 09:27 AM
Glick

After a moment, Glick scratches his head (with oddly long fingers, just for a moment though), then looks around. Nothing. His mind must be playing tricks on him. Well, at least, he'd deserve it if it was. How many peoples minds has he played tricks on?

At any rate, he also deserved a drink. Why? For no other reason than he felt like it. Ras, his trusty longsword, strapped to his side, he makes his way to the tavern. On the way, he gives himself a scar on his cheek, and grins a wicked grin as he pulls out an eye-patch. Then shades his facial hair a bit more, and walks in. Sitting down right away, he orders a drink. Normal ale, nothing special.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-13, 09:40 AM
For Aeran, Nosse, and Rhivshar:
The tavern is its usual busy. The mood is generally happy, if not cheerful today. Each of you, give me a Perception check.

For Glick:
You can attempt another Streetwise check. Just know that if it fails, it will count as one failed check for a skill challenge (I disregarded the first one). If it succeeds, however, it will count as two successes. (But I've got to warn you that the DC is high, since you have no further information at this point.) Since you are now at the tavern as well, give me a Perception check.

For Sadir:
I assume you intend to find more information regarding the rumor? If you end up at the tavern too, give me a Perception check.

For everyone:
May I suggest assembling at the tavern first, since three of you are already there, form the group, and then attempt each rumor as a group? You will need more successes, but the DCs will be lower.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-13, 09:49 AM
Perception: [roll0]

Nosse's ear twitches slightly as he takes in the tavern, still feeling awkward. He takes a seat at a free table, and ponders his next move, watching the Elf. He wondered if he realised he was following him, he looked like an alert sort. If not, he had best approach him somehow.

[OOC: Natural 20 on my first roll, yeaaaaaaaaah. Good omen.]

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-13, 10:04 AM
Nosse:
Nice roll!

The elf is definitely an out-of-towner; new arrival it seems. It appears you are not the only one watching him, however. A dragonborn at the bar appears to have noticed him enter as well.

Thanks to your excellent Perception check, you also notice what seems to be a local guard at a table in the corner. He seems tired and has a grim look on his face.

Glick's awesome Perception (made in OOC thread):
This is a tavern. :smalltongue: Busy with local townsfolk as well as a few travelers. Nothing strikes you as out of the ordinary. A few people stare or nod as you enter.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-13, 10:20 AM
Damn, I was hoping I'd overhear some useful rumour or conversation or something. Oh well, guess you can't win every time :P

The shifter decides to act quickly: Confidence is key. He gives the Elf a wave, indicating the empty seat beside him. {"Shaelysti; [Welcome - Peaceable. Geographical Dialect: Wood Elves] you look like a new arrival, Vaerthol. [Acquaintance - Respected]}" He says, in clear Elven.

I like to sometimes use words that don't directly-translate into common easily, to give other languages a more exotic feel. Titles and such are best for this. The [Brackets] I use to give a translation, of sorts. Let me know if that's alright.

Jesse Drake
2009-10-13, 10:28 AM
Glick

"Ah, the tavern is a wonderful place to clear ones head." Comments Glick to the bar tender. "So, how's life? The weather? Here of any mysterious cults rising up?" He asks so bluntly cause this image he portrays is of no consequence to himself. Assuming the barkeep himself doesn't know, he will go on to question the more colorful patrons.

[roll0] Another Streetwise, taking the aforementioned penalty. By the dice gods, this better be a good roll. Yay! Nat 20!

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-13, 10:29 AM
Don't disregard what info you were given. Sensitive information may not always be discussed openly inside a tavern.

And, adding flavor and language to the conversations -- me likes!

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-13, 10:40 AM
Glick

"Ah, the tavern is a wonderful place to clear ones head." Comments Glick to the bar tender. "So, how's life? The weather? Here of any mysterious cults rising up?" He asks so bluntly cause this image he portrays is of no consequence to himself. Assuming the barkeep himself doesn't know, he will go on to question the more colorful patrons.

[roll0] Another Streetwise, taking the aforementioned penalty. By the dice gods, this better be a good roll. Yay! Nat 20!

Oh my word, what a roll!

The bartender gets a serious look on his face. "One canna' help bu' tah hear all sor's a' thin's in ma line o' work." He leans forward. "But wha'sit tah you, stran'er? I wan' nah trouble in here."

Despite your incredibly low passive Perception, you cannot help but seeing a local guard in the corner perk up in an uncomfortable fashion as he hears you ask about "cults".

Two successes towards this quest hook!

For those of you in the tavern ... You hear this conversation as well and cannot help but noticing the guard in the corner perk up, whether you had previously noticed him or not.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-13, 10:48 AM
Nosses keen ears register the Doppelganger's words, though he pays them little heed. He does, however, notice the guards reaction out of the corner of his eye. He covertly glances at the guard, sizing him up.

Insight: [roll0]

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-13, 10:54 AM
Let's pause here for a moment until I know whether Sadir has joined everyone in the tavern or not.

Still, feel free to react to the conversation and the guard's reaction. I'll address it all after Sadir has posted.

MCerberus
2009-10-13, 10:59 AM
Rhivshar

Eating and drinking silently, due to as much lack of company as desire, Rhivshar keeps an eye on the armed men seemingly pouring into the establishment. To most this would seem like danger, to him it was opportunity, or at least things would get interesting. Rhiv moves over to the bartender that's being chatted up by the longsword carrying human... with blue hair? Before leaning over the bar to chat with the bartender, he gives a small nod to the armed man and slides a gold coin towards the purveyor.

"I'm looking for work. The more dangerous the better. You hear about anything?"

[roll0]

Jesse Drake
2009-10-13, 11:03 AM
Glick

Glick smiles at the bar keep. "I never cause trouble. But seeing as you don't know me, I can forgive that. I won't bother you much though." After speaking with him, Glick wanders over to the guard. He takes a seat. Then smiles. With a whispered tone, an odd discretion being taken up, most likely to appease the guard and amuse himself, he asks "So, do you know anything about mysterious cults?" Realizing asking about cults may seem a bit strange, he adds for assurance "I guarantee you I mean no trouble. I'm just a passing warrior who abhors the misuse of magic. I'd like to help out a bit." Those words spoken with true discretion. [sorry, pausing now, as I have been trying to type this for about twenty minutes now, just been distracted.]

Hashmir
2009-10-13, 11:26 AM
Aeran perked up at the sound of his native language.

{You speak the tongue of the wood elves?} He stopped, his ears perking up at the sound of a rather odd conversation to his right -- someone's asking about cults? As he glanced over, he saw a guard start uncomfortably, and apparently so did the inquirer. Aeran watched him make his way over to the guard and whisper something.

Perception check: [roll0]

Oh hell yes. Come on, info. :smallbiggrin:

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-13, 12:00 PM
Nosse nods, pleased that his guess that speaking in the Elven tongue would intrigue the man. An odd question, though. {"I do. I am here looking for adventurers to ally with, I seek the trade of the Shahadi". [Wandering blade]}

Hashmir
2009-10-13, 12:16 PM
Aeran turned back to his partner in conversation.

{You may be in luck. I had heard Fallcrest was suffering from goblin attacks, and I thought I might lend my bow. If the lead rings true, you are free to join me -- though I would not expect much in the way of payment. Honestly, I do it for the sport as much as anything. Although...}

Narrowing his eyes, Aeran threw a sidelong glance at the man speaking with the guard. {...It would appear that there is more in this place than mere goblins.}

Robek
2009-10-13, 02:29 PM
Sadir, a tall flourescent blue genasi, barges into the tavern, as though he were in a great hurry. He is covered in chain mail, and has a sword in one hand and a shield in the other. He asks the entirety of the tavern, "Has anyone seen Douven? Explorer type? Came here to look at some dragon bones?"

Perception:[roll0] Sorry for being late on posting, but I've picked up the flu.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-13, 03:10 PM
@Rhivshar:
The bartender raises an eyebrow. "Well, lad, we inna hir'en ri'nnow," he says with a smirk. "Ya wants tah talk tah him Faren Markelhay, dar town Lord Warden. Canna' miss da building! Always looken' for hands." He grabs a mug of ale and starts walking towards the guard.

The guard raises his hand to halt the bartender in his footsteps ...

@Glick:
As you approach the guardsman, he suddenly stands up and gestures towards the bar. He makes a sign with his hand, as to say "not here".

@Aeran:
You notice that an elf previously seated at a table near the door has suddenly left, as if in a hurry. Unfortunately there is not much more info to gain here at the tavern, but I have made note of your superb Perception check and will count it as a very beneficial bonus regarding this elf "later".

@Aeran and Nosse:
In the middle of your conversation, the guard walks up to the bar. He grabs the mug of ale and nods with gratitude towards Rhivshar. He then addresses all of you, albeit in a quiet tone: "If you seek work, I can arrange for you to meet with the Lord Warden. He will know more about the things which you speak of. But ..."

@Sadir:
The guard stops himself in the middle of a sentence. "Douven?" he asks. "I have heard many names, but that is not one of them. I am afraid I do not know of any dragon bones either, not in these parts."
Many explorers pass through these parts. It would be impossible for anyone in Fallcrest to casually remember his name. Unless you can find someone he specifically interacted with, chances of finding someone who recognizes the name might be best saved for a later time.
The entire tavern grows silent for a brief moment. Some shrug their shoulders or shake their heads. Others give you looks of bewilderment. You are certain you hear some snickering as well.

@Everyone:
"Moonstone Keep, at noon?" He nods invitingly towards all of you, and then leaves the tavern.

MCerberus
2009-10-13, 03:32 PM
Rhivshar

A small dagger-toothed grin comes across Riv's face as he nods towards the exiting lead. A member of the militia recruiting armed men surrounded by alcohol... sounds fun. Gold and glory you know.

Settling his bill with the bartender, Rhiv prepares to leave. As he grasps his axe again, he turns towards the blue-haired man closest to him. "I hope you can keep up in a fight." The dragonkin then leaves the bar, thinking in the back of his mind, almost like he was expecting someone like me to show up.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-13, 03:35 PM
Assuming all of you accept the invitation to meet with the Lord Warden of Fallcrest ...

[hr]

The seat of Lord Warden Faren Markelhay, Moonstone Keep is an old castle that sits atop a steep-sided hill overlooking the town. The outer bailey includes barracks housing up to sixty Fallcrest guards. At any given time about twenty or so are off-duty. Other buildings in the courtyard include a stable, an armory, a chapel, a smithy, and several storehouses. The keep is a large D-shaped building at the north end of the castle.

Although you arrive promptly at the set time, you find yourselves waiting for what seems to be an eternity. After over an hour of waiting, a set of large double doors open and a clerk gestures for you to enter. "Lord Warden Faren Markelhay is ready to see you now."

Faren Markelhay himself is a balding, middle-aged human with a keen mind and a dry wit.

"Mewrik Timmelen told me you wished to speak with me?" he inquires. "The guard at the tavern ..." he adds, realizing from your puzzled looks at the sound of the guard's name that it was not familiar to you.

[hr]

And, we now have a skill challenge! Key skills are: Diplomacy and Insight. Other skills may be usable as well.

There are no direct penalties for failure (i.e. you cannot fail the challenge based on number of failures). However, failing a skill check will result in a penalty to the next skill check. The number of success you achieve, while retaining Faren's attention (he is a busy man) will determine how many quests you will successfully gain.

I will indicate when you have achieved the needed successes for a given quest along with a summary, as well as indicate when the skill challenge is completed.

You can speak freely with the Lord Warden. However, if you wish to attempt a skill check, indicate which skill and what you say/do to influence the outcome of said check.

Good luck! :smallsmile:

[hr]

If you are not familiar with skill challenges:
A skill challenge is a series of skill checks that combined will determine success or failure. Normally you defeat the challenge by achieving X successful skill checks before Y failures. Once you fail a skill challenge, you cannot attempt it again.

Sometimes I, as the DM, will initiate a skill challenge. However, you can initiate one yourself. For example, if you wish to solve a fight with diplomatic means, a skill challenge might be required. Successfully tracking someone through an area might be another.

I will list key skills that can alone lead to success. However, don't let this stop your creativity! Feel free to attempt any skill you feel appropriate for the situation. In addition to the key skills identified, I keep a number of secondary skills secret. Some of them can be used to gain multiple successes. Others can only be used once. If you use one I have not thought of, but which can be justified through your actions, I will award the creativity.

But, beware, occasionally there will also be skills that result in automatic failure if attempted!

All other skills have no bearing on the outcome of a given challenge, whether attempted or not.

Robek
2009-10-13, 05:02 PM
Sadir wanders the streets of Fallcrest, asking anyone and everyone if they've seen Douven recently.
Take 20 on a streetwise check to locate to learn anything about Douven and his whereabouts.

Jesse Drake
2009-10-13, 05:27 PM
Glick

Glick gladly takes the opportunity. As a responsible arcane practitioner it was his duty to investigate the misuse of magic. And as a sturdy and intuitive fighter, it was within his power to do so. Approaching Lord Markelhay, he says straight out "I'm not gonna dance around the subject sir, I have heard whispers of cultist activity in this region, and would like to know if there's any merit to these rumors."

Okay, here's an attempt at an insight check. [roll0]

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-13, 08:01 PM
[Too bad Sadir isn't here, he's the only trained Diplomancer...]

He would have liked to hang back rather than try to get information out of the official, but only one of his companions seemed willing to talk so far, and he suspected they might learn little otherwise. "Ah, yes. If there are any troubles in the region that we can help with, please don't hesitate to ask."

Rolling Insight to gauge the truth of his words and intent
Insight: [roll0]

Hashmir
2009-10-13, 08:29 PM
Aeran was surprised at the boldness of the swordsman. Still, he seemed like the intelligent sort -- something about his eyes. Perhaps he knew what he was doing.

Perception check to look around the room:

Probably gives nothing, but hey. I'm a twitchy orphaned Wood Elf. It's kind of what I do.

In any case, Aeran elected to put his goblin questions on hold for a minute. This "cult" business was much more interesting, and sounded like much more of a ... challenge.

Insight for the hell of it on Markelhay's reaction -- ignore if irrelevant: [roll]1d20+4

MCerberus
2009-10-14, 02:39 AM
Rhivshar

Entering the room holding the 'lord', Rhiv lets out a quiet snort as he appraises, and then nods at his potential meal ticket. Not usually willing to be disarmed, he keeps his weapon close at hand but lets it rest on the floor while the group talks. Rhivshar waits patiently while the others make their points before approaching Faren.

"It seems you have need of people with the ability to take action. Tell us, on what do you want our blades to fall on."

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-15, 11:19 AM
@Sadir:
20 hours later!! "Taking 20" is actually not possible in 4e without DM houserule/permission. In this case, I would imagine you walking to each inn and asking his name.
After wandering the streets of Fallcrest for quite some time, you run across an inn where Douven had stayed while in town. The innkeeper does not know exactly where Douven was heading, but thinks he might have taken the King's Road out of town.

@Glick:
"Cultist activities? That is an unusual topic for a visit! But, yes, I am afraid the rumors are true. Marla, a priestess of Pelor, believes that a death cult is operating in the area near Winterhaven."
Your Insight gives no clues as to the Lord Warden's attitude or truthfulness. The Insight check failed, giving a -2 penalty to the next check carried out.

@Nosse:
Your Insight tells you that the Lord Warden seems somewhat hesitant to discuss the topic of the death cult. You have a feeling you need to earn his trust somehow. Success, despite the penalty!
"Most of the trouble in Fallcrest is handled by my very able guards. However, some of the outlying cities are less equipped at taking care of themselves. The mayor of Winterhaven has recently been requesting my aid ... Perhaps I could send you as an answer to his requests?"
Your Insight also tells you that the Lord Warden is trying to gauge your trustworthiness and ability to carry out the tasks.

@Aeran:
The Perception check, despite being good, did not reveal any new information. I'm sorry.The Insight check failed. Penalty to the next check again.

@Rhivshar:
"Eagerness to help. I like that! Tell me, however, what is your motiviation? And why do you feel you are equipped to do the task?" The Lord Warden is going to expect an answer to both questions.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-15, 12:03 PM
Everyone, give me active Perception and Insight checks (these are unrelated to the skill challenge, but might help you determine what to do).

If your roll fails to meet the listed DC, you may use your passive check.

Open the spoiler for any DC you meet or beat.

Perception DC20 or higher:
On the Lord Warden's desk you spot a letter bearing an official insignia. The insignia is different from that of Fallcrest.
Perception DC25 or higher:
You can make out the word "Winterhaven" on the paper.

Insight DC15 or higher:
Fallcrest is the largest town in the area. Outlying towns would request help from the Lord Warden with tasks they cannot handle themselves.
Insight DC20 or higher:
You have to earn the Lord Warden's trust.
Insight DC25 or higher:
The roads in the area are frequently traveled, drawing attention from bandits.

Jesse Drake
2009-10-15, 12:29 PM
Glick

"Perhaps I can be of use." Began Glick. "I'm well versed in the arts of arcane studies, and unfortunately, I've encountered cult activity before, once back home. It was a travesty of magical misuse, I can assure you, if you have any cult members in your town, you want them gone. I'd like to know as much as possible so that I could possibly rid you of these pests, with their squandered powers."

[roll0], Arcana check, factoring in the penalty. I hope this works, what I'm going for is to assure him that despite my bold words, I'm aware of what I'm doing and mean only to help.

Edit- *Sniff* That was terrible. I'm sorry guys, I rolled a two!

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-15, 12:57 PM
The Lord Warden looks at Glick. "I am certain your arcane knowledge serves you well. But, to be honest ..." He pauses for a moment. "We get a lot of adventurers and mercenaries in these parts. I am not sure how you heard about the cult activity ..." He pauses again. "I may still have some different work for you, if that would be of interest?"

Okay, I'll await some other posts to see if the Lord Warden is influenced before I speak on his behalf.

MCerberus
2009-10-15, 01:28 PM
Rhivhsar

Not so much insulted by the questioning of his motivation, Rhiv moves in towards the Lord Warden, a little closer than normal talking distance and looks the man straight in the eye.

"I've been fighting against real enemies most of my life. I've spent days with little sleep fighting against enemies your guards wouldn't last a minute against. We can both help each other's situations out, but I will not have my ability to fight questioned."

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-15, 01:42 PM
@Rhivshar:
Any skill to go along with that?

Hashmir
2009-10-15, 01:54 PM
Aeran's ears pricked up. This was getting a touch heated -- perhaps it was time to chime in.

"My Lord, if I may? You mentioned Winterhaven was in need of some assistance. Do you know what plagues them?"

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-15, 10:03 PM
The Lord Warden looks at Rhivshar as he flexes his muscles in a display of strength. "Well, clearly you are physically able for such an important task, and I see that all of you seem eager to help."

Another success! No more successes can be gained through an Athletics check.

"There are two issues concerning Winterhaven I could use your help with. The Kings Road runs from Fallcrest to Winterhaven. It is an important trade route in this area. All too frequently, merchants and travelers are being ambushed by kobolds. The ruins of an old manor, now referred to as Kobold Hall, is the base of the bandits. If you accept this task, I offer you 10 gp per kobold you kill. If you can return with proof that the ruins have been cleared out, I will give you an additional 100 gp."

The Lord Warden will provide you with a map indicating the location of Kobold Hall, should you accept the quest.

"Is there anything else I can assist with?"

Hashmir
2009-10-15, 10:17 PM
Aeran grinned. Hunting pesky creatures was what he did best.

"Sir, you couldn't have picked a better Elf. I'll do it myself if I have to -- although it looks like I need not worry about a lack of companionship."

I'm assuming he has the map to show me right now, so I'll go ahead and make a Dungeoneering check for looking at it. It's just a map, but hey -- I might be able to figure out something impressively insightful, right?

Dungeoneering: [roll0]

EDIT: Eh. If I notice something, I'll spit it out to try and improve our cred.

"Speaking of bothersome bandits, I had heard Fallcrest suffered from a Goblin problem -- it's actually why I am here in the first place. Is there any truth to these rumors?"

MCerberus
2009-10-15, 10:30 PM
Rhivshar

Rhiv backs off the Warden praises the group's general eagerness. Letting the elf speak he begins to think about the currently offered job. Decent gold for exterminating rats. Clearing out the whole place would be a good start. The notoriety would be short lived though. Little vermin aren't much by themselves.

Scratching a sudden itch under his chin, he refocuses on the conversation at hand.

"You want the heads or hands of the Kobolds?"

no roll right now.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-15, 10:33 PM
"Goblins?" The Lord Warden pauses for a while. "Now there is an interesting coincidence. You lot are full of surprises, as it seems. May this prove to be a blessed occasion, the five of you being brought together here in Fallcrest. Make haste! Eliminate the kobolds, and we will discuss both goblins and cults upon your return!" The Lord Warden seems surprisingly pleased.

Edit: "The index finger off the left hand of each kobold serves as sufficient proof."

MCerberus
2009-10-15, 11:50 PM
Rhivshar

Rhiv nods in acknowledgment of both the method of bounty and the closure of the meeting. The head kobold will have to show his face to the Warden at a later date for the hundred gold bounty, but that seems more of a fun surprise for the man. No need to ruin that early.

Without a word more, he heads back towards town for any last-minute outfitting, stopping at a convenient place for the others to catch up.

Jesse Drake
2009-10-16, 12:05 AM
Glick

Glick walks out with Rhivsar. "Hey, look, I'm normally better articulated. I must be nervous or something, it's just not often I am, so..." As he speaks, he removes the eye-patch, and his scar fades, and his facial hair recedes.

[roll0] This is for my own personal satisfaction, trying to prove to Rhivsar, and the others, I'm no fool... I hate this thread. Two 2's on my arcana checks.

Hashmir
2009-10-16, 12:32 AM
Aeran bounced around the group as they walked. He was excited about the upcoming assignment, and that always made him a touch fidgety. He wasn't exactly impatient, but his senses always seemed sharper before a hunt -- as though they picked up everything around him.

"So, I take it you are all coming? You all seem well-equipped; I take it you need nothing here. But I can wait. Yes, I can wait."

With that, he began to whistle an old Elven tune, and practically started skipping around the path on either side of the party.

MCerberus
2009-10-16, 01:06 AM
Rhivshar

Rhiv raises one of his eyebrow ridges as Glick morphs his face. Previously he had just seen the man as a normal human if one with an odd hair color. An impressive trick at least. Starting again to walk back to town, he continues the conversation with Glick and Aeran.

"Happens to everyone at some point," Rhiv remarks before turning to address the elf. "I need to stop by a tanner unless you can patch a strap that holds my axe to the armor."

Then, talking to nobody in particular, Rhiv casually asks, "So what're you good at? I've seen people go into battle as complete strangers. Not pretty."

Hashmir
2009-10-16, 01:28 AM
A boyish grin crosses Aeran's face.

"I shoot things. Very accurately. I'm no slouch with a couple of blades, either, but I don't really like it as much. It's so ... inelegant. I also know my way around; I've pretty much spent the last few years running around forests and caves, taking out problems. Like Kobolds. I'm probably quieter than most of you too -- I never seem to alert the targets."

He glanced at Rhivshar's greataxe and raised an eyebrow.

"You look like the type to charge in headfirst and take it anyway, so I'm not too concerned. Still, it would be nice to finally find a group that didn't alert the entire forest upon leaving a town..."

Aeran sighed.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-16, 01:52 AM
Nosse, after his companions showed themselves capable of negotiating without him, remained quiet, keeping to himself. He hated the facade he had to put on whenever he dealt with others. He is deep enough in thought that the Doppelganger's shape-changing sets him aback, he visibly starts, with a repressed hiss. He gives the shape-changer a suspicious look, before turning to face forward, answering the Elf's question without looking directly at him. "I am the Forest. Any who would despoil and destroy or hide their evil under it's canopy will have my claws to reckon with."

"If our companion-", Nosse said, indicating the Doppelganger. "Is changing his face, would you all mind if I took on a more... 'Natural' look? I tire of this body."

Jesse Drake
2009-10-16, 05:59 AM
Glick

Glick smiles. "Not at all. After all, we should all be comfortable." Though you had a feeling he wouldn't mind.

Robek
2009-10-16, 03:51 PM
Sadir lets out a big sigh.
All the trouble trying to find him, just to learn that he's left already. Splendid...
He tells the innkeeper "I suppose I'll be needing a place to stay for the night then. How much is it?"

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-16, 04:19 PM
No need to spend the night. Fallcrest might be a sizable town, but it is not that big. I assume you simply walked to the inns, asking for Douven, but had plenty of time to do so before the meeting with the Lord Warden.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-16, 04:32 PM
As you set out from Fallcrest, excited about what adventure may be laid before you, you follow the directions provided by the Lord Warden. Although the afternoon sun beats down on you, there is a slight breeze easing your journey. The King's Road has been well traveled over the years, carrying unmistakable marks of being a main route in Nentir Vale. You meet the occasional caravan or horseman along the way.

By the time the sun begins to set, it is hard to believe that you have traveled almost all day. Cheerful conversations along the way, getting to know one another better, have made time pass quickly. As you study the map looking for a suitable place to camp, and keeping your eyes open for where to leave the open road in favor of the path leading to the abandoned manor, there is a slight rustle in the leaves along the roadside.

Suddenly a band of kobolds, presumably part of the bandit gang the Lord Warden told you about, burst through the foliage and attack you!

Little do they suspect to have launched an attack against the very adventurers sent to eliminate them ...

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-16, 04:34 PM
Encounter — The Ambush!

{table=head]|Init|Name|Pos|Status
|23|Rhivshar|J13|
|21|Kobold D|Q6|Dead!
|21|Kobold D|N5|Dead!
|21|Kobold D|N8|Dead!
|20|Aeran|L12|
|20|Kobold K|L7|Dead!
|8|Glick|I11|
|6|Kobold W|I14|Captured!
|6|Nosse|I13|
|5|Sadir|M6|[/table]

Large battlemap:

http://www.galagalaxia.com/dnd/KotS/BattleMap.jpg
http://www.galagalaxia.com/dnd/KotS/Features.png

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-16, 04:52 PM
War cries break from the underbrush as several small figures dart from hiding places. The three launching the first wave of assult are carrying swords and shields.

Two creatures attack Aeran, displaying surprising agility as they charge through the foliage.

@Aeran
Two attacks:
25 vs AC, 7 damage
24 vs AC, 7 damage

[hr]

Encounter post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7135640&postcount=53) updated.
Aeran's turn.

When your turn comes up, you may make a Nature check three Nature checks to identify the creatures, potentially recalling something useful about their abilities, powers, or weaknesses.

Apply the Nature checks in order: D, K, W. (See monster knowledge information below.)

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-16, 06:01 PM
Kobolds D:
DC15
Kobold Dragonshield
Small natural humanoid (kobold)
DC20
Powers: Dragonshield Tactics, Mob Attack, Shifty
DC25
Resistances: acid
Vulnerabilities: none

Kobolds K:
DC15
Kobold Skirmisher
DC20
Powers: Combat Advantage, Mob Attack, Shifty
DC25
Resistances: none

Kobolds W:
DC15
Kobold Wyrmpriest
DC20
Powers: Energy Orb, Incite Faith, Dragon Breath
DC25
Resistances: none

Hashmir
2009-10-16, 06:06 PM
Aeran was caught off-guard. He looked over just in time to see the charging Kobolds, but it was too late to do anything about it. The first two connected -- hard.

Staggering, Aeran vaguely noted that he was quite hurt. With no time to do anything else, he deftly rolled back between his companions to recover before launching his counterattack.

Ok, let's try that again. Shifting to Q7. Making three Nature checks:

First: (It was a nat 20 +13 for 33 in the old post, which you presumably saw.)
Second: [roll0]
Third: 21 (in the OoC thread)

I posted the first thing from another computer, so I didn't have my books with me to check the surprise round rules. Sorry about that. :smallbiggrin:

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-16, 06:31 PM
As you withdraw from the staggering blows, the frontline kobolds seem to twitch, eager to follow.

However, as their leader calls out from behind the bushes, they instead regroup to better launch the next wave of attacks. His words seem to incite faith into his allies, temporarily granting them extra strength.

The skirmisher simply moves walks out from hiding, preparing himself to engage in battle.
The dragonshields shift in response to their leader's inspiring words.

[hr]

Encounter post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7135640&postcount=53) updated.
We are now done with the surprise round and return to the top of the initiative order, awaiting Rhivshar's turn.

MCerberus
2009-10-16, 08:07 PM
Rhivshar

Unable to detect the onslaught before it was too late, Rhiv could only watch as the kobold attackers spring on the group. Eager to join in the dray, he rushes in front of the others. As he takes a position in the middle of the kobold line, he takes a downward swing at the middle kobold. As his weapon reaches the end of his swing, he starts to growl ominously. brings the axe back up against the kobold now on his left. His growl suddenly becomes an earthquake. The air around the kobolds rumble as shards of ice fly at them.

Move Action: Walk to O7 [2 spaces]
Standard Action: Passing Strike (forgoing the optional shift)
[roll0] vs AC
[roll1]
[roll2] vs AC if primary hits
[roll3]
Minor Action: Dragon Breath (Burst 3, hitting all 4 targets near him)
[roll4] vs Reflex
[roll5] vs Reflex
[roll6] vs Reflex
[roll7] vs Reflex
[roll8]

wow... anyway marking what I hit

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-16, 08:20 PM
As you approach the line of dragonshield kobolds, they immediately react to your movement and employ tactics to scatter before you can launch a blow.

@Rhivshar
Since you have movement left, I will let you decide where you are moving to before launching the attacks. If you move to O6 and attack the kobold in N5 with your melee attack, you can still mark all 4 of them, and hit the three bottom ones with your breath weapon.

It is still your turn. Battle Map updated with new positions.

MCerberus
2009-10-16, 08:56 PM
Rhivshar

Seeing the kobolds scatter, Rhiv lowers his shoulder to shift weight and modify his attack. Keeping with his momentum, he finds himself attacking the kobold that fled to the tombstone (N5). In a whirl of steel, Rhiv brings in his axe low, then high, finally finishing with a strong sideways attack that lets him unleash his breath on the others.

Ending on O6
[roll0] vs AC
[roll1]
Miss: 4 damage

Do we really need to reroll the breath attack?

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-16, 09:48 PM
The kobolds are noticably hurt. Even after the cold has dissipated, they shiver from the breath attack. But then their grimaces of pain turn into smirks of revenge as they turn on you with a fierceful coordinated attack. The mob of kobolds seem to draw strength from one another as they attack. As the shifty kobolds start to move, their agility does not seem to leave an opening as they move around you.

@Rhivshar
However, you can make a basic attack against the kobold in N5 as he shifts away.

MCerberus
2009-10-16, 09:55 PM
Rhivshar sends a lateral axe swing at the kobold that tries to scurry away.

[roll0]
[roll1]

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-16, 10:11 PM
Attacks on Rhivshar:
Kobold at N5 shifts to O4 and then shifts again to P5.
Kobold at M7 shifts to N7 to flank.
Kobold at N9 moves to O7. As he reaches you, the three kobolds strike simultaneously.

First attack: 21 vs AC, 9 damage
Second attack: 31 vs AC, 4 damage
Third attack: 19 vs AC, 9 damage

After the attack, the kobold at N7 shifts to N6. The kobold at O7 shifts to P6.

No more OAs for you, though.

You are now marked by the kobold in P6.

Aeran is next, and is no longer marked.

Hashmir
2009-10-17, 01:20 AM
Aeran sprung back into the foliage, then closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Focusing for a moment, he gathered himself, and with a renewed energy, he nocked two arrows into his bow. Glaring at the rightmost Kobold, he whispered to himself.

"You."

The arrows flew.

Shifting to R7 (move). Then using Second Wind to heal 6 points of damage (standard) and marking P5 as quarry (minor). Then spending an Action Point to Two-Fanged Strike P5 (standard).

To hit:

First: [roll0] vs AC
First damage if hit: [roll1]
Second: [roll2] vs AC
Second damage if hit: [roll3]
Bonus damage if both hit: 4
Quarry damage if either hit: [roll4]
Bonus damage from Warlord if either hit: 4

Yeesh.

Hashmir
2009-10-17, 01:21 AM
Elven Accuracy reroll of the first to hit: [roll0]

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-17, 01:56 AM
Fearing an attempt to escape, as you shift away, the kobold falls back and follows you! Just when you draw your bow and disappear into the underbrush, the kobold takes a swing at you! The silvery blade briefly flashes in front of your eyes, and you hear the sound of the sword cutting through the air.

So, yeah ... the OA was a long shot! A total -6 to his attack (-2 for not attacking Rhivshar, -2 each for cover and concealment granted by the underbrush), while you have a +2 to your defenses from Second Wind. Nevertheless, I managed to get a 17 total, which, sadly ... misses you.

That is 8 damage you avoided taking.

Luckily, the favor was returned in that both your arrows missed (due to the same cover/concealment against your attack).

The close call distracts you enough to impair your accuracy. You see the arrows brush against the kobold's face ... Unfortunately, they pierce the ground instead of the creature's skull.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-17, 02:11 AM
The kobold skirmisher acts quickly and lunges forward to strike Rhivshar. His charge is swift and brutal, exploiting Rhivshar's vulnerable state. This kobold, too, seems to draw strength from his fellow comrades.

Ah, let me savor this moment briefly (especially since I have already rolled and know the result):
Bonus from flanking, bonus from charging, bonus from allies ...
A timely strike like that can result in nothing less than ...

Luckily, the skittish kobold flinches as the leader yells at the dragonshield kobold to fall back into the ranks.

... a big fat fail! Unless, that is, a 13 happens to hit your AC?
:smallwink:

11 damage avoided ...

Some unintelligible words are exchanged between the skirmisher and his leader.

@Anyone who speaks Draconic
Leader: "You moron! How could you miss?!"
Skirmisher: "Who put you in charge??"
Leader: "You will answer to Szartharrax for that attitude!"

Glick finally gets to act!

Jesse Drake
2009-10-17, 07:43 AM
Glick

You all notice as the battle starts, a shimmering blue, transluscent disk forms over Glick's left hand, as if he were holding a shield. Glick shifts up one to P6. Then, once in the fray, he uses Booming Blade.

[roll0] VS P5 (above me) for [roll1], and then marking N6 (next to Rhivsar) with my aegis of shielding effect.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-17, 07:00 PM
As you (Glick) swing your sword towards the kobold, he swiftly dodges your blow. Just to taunt you, he also wags his finger at you.

Then, darting out from his hiding place behind the bushes, the wyrmpriest appears to gain a better view of the situation. He lobs a green-glowing orb of energy towards Nosse. Drops of acid splash onto everyone's clothes.

@Nosse
11 vs Reflex ... which I assume misses. The damage was low anyway -- 5 acid.

As the wyrmpriest appears you see that he is wearing a bone mask, carved to resemble a dragon's head.

[hr]

Nosse now has a chance to act.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-17, 08:21 PM
I'm unsure, is the Kobold at O7 dead? The legend tells me he's marked and bloodied, but he's not listed on the enemy table. This'll do me for the round.

Nosse, snarling, decides to get this encounter finished with as soon as possible. With a wave of his hand, colourful lights manifest about some of the kobolds, dancing around them in a scintillating display.

Using Faerie Fire, centered on the Kobold at n7. Wisdom v Will. If the kobold at O7 is alive still, the attack roll against him gets a +1 bonus due to my Primal Fury feat.
N7 [roll0]
N6 [roll1]
O6 (If applicable) [roll2]
Any affected are slowed and grant combat advantage (Save ends). The Aftereffect is 3d6+4 damage, and they grant combat advantage until the end of my next turn.
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-17, 08:49 PM
Quickly realizing that the large kobold (in O7) is actually your ally (yes, those dragonkind look very much alike at dusk), you extend the range of your attack to just barely overshoot the row of kobolds.

heh .. Yes, O7 is actually Rhivshar. I'm updating the encounter post with locations for all creatures on the map to avoid confusion in the future.

I am taking the liberty to adjust the center of the burst to miss Rhivshar.

This adjusted aim does not seem to diminish the power of your attack, however, as both kobolds are noticibly struck and appear as though frozen in space. An opening for your comrades, no doubt!

[hr]

Sadir will conclude this first turn with his actions.

Robek
2009-10-17, 09:32 PM
Sadir morphs into a watery substance, and shifts to square M6. He yells "Come allies! Attack with all your might!" and swings his longsword at the kobold in N6.

Shift to M6 using "Swift Current" as a move action. Use "Lead the Attack" on the kobold in N6. [roll]d20+9[roll] against AC. [roll0] if it's a hit and until the end of the encounter, you and each ally within 5 squares of you gain a power bonus to attack rolls against the target equal to 1 + your Intelligence modifier.
Miss:Until the end of the encounter, you and each ally within 5 squares of you gain a +1 power bonus to attack rolls against the target.

Edit:Attack roll in OOC.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-17, 10:00 PM
Seeing the desire for revenge in your eyes, the creature shifts as you move close, attempting to perhaps evade your blow. Alas, to no avail. The blade of your longsword connects hard. The kobold staggers badly as the force of the blow rings through his small body. You have left a deep gash in his side, a wound not easily recovered from.

Well played indeed! The kobold is bloodied!

No minor action to "inspire" Rhivshar?

Rhivshar leads us into the next round.

MCerberus
2009-10-17, 10:49 PM
Rhivshar

Smelling blood and encouraged by his companion's successes, Rhiv roars and unleashes against the recently gashed (n5) kobold. Using the momentum from the backswing, he shifts his footing to move around to the bastard that last hit him (Q6). If there's enough energy after the last swing, the rat's head should come right off...

[roll0] add that to 7 HP... yah those things hurt.

[roll1] +5 bonus -2 for not being marked by
[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]

If the primary still misses I'd like to shift as a shift anyway. After the results It'll still be my initiative. planning on using an AP

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-17, 11:33 PM
As you swing at your primary target, he really tries to muster enough energy to dodge the blow. However, his wounds are too much to handle. He collapses under the weight of your axe in a pool of his own blood.

The kobold is dead! (Unless, of course, you would rather just have him knocked out.)

The momentum of your swing manages to connect with the second kobold as well. He is taken by surprise, no doubt, but grins at you as he prepares to strike back. His ally is falling in behind you.

The attack hits, and he is still up ... not bloodied yet. Still your turn.

Battle Map updated.

MCerberus
2009-10-17, 11:37 PM
Rhivshar

With the first of the shield bearers down, Rhiv focuses entirely on the one that's earned his ire. Instead of letting his axe come to rest, he pulls it back and then sends it barreling down at the kobold with all his might.

Action point for a Brute Strike. Get a +2 from the Taclord.
[roll=Brute Strike]1d20+9 reliable
[roll0]
[spoiler]

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-17, 11:53 PM
If the kobold was surprised after the first attack, he really did not expect the second. The attack hits him across the head so hard that he gets knocked into a backflip. It is a sheer miracle he lands back on his feet, albeith badly wounded. Will he be able to muster enough strength for a last strike?

Again, another well executed strike. The kobold is knocked well into bloodied territory, but still up.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-18, 12:05 AM
As the dragonshield kobold and his fellow mobster focus their strengths against you ... it is clear that he does not have much left to give. His companion, shaken by the turn of events, manages to pull off a swing with his sword ... but lacks the focus.

The bloodied one rolls a natural 1! I love when the dice opt for flavor.

The other manages to reach AC 16 with his attack ... which means he would have dealt 5 damage, had he actually connected.

Aeran ... your moment of glory is next.

Hashmir
2009-10-18, 12:31 AM
Aeran needed to move away from the wounded Kobold and out of the blasted hedges. As the lizard made a pitiful swing at Rhivshar, Aeran crept out the other side and looked across the field. He couldn't quite make it out, but he know their leader was behind the foliage in the distance. Now he just needed to get through the minions in the way...

Glancing at the other two Kobolds in the fray, Aeran elected to shift his focus to the Skirmisher. There was no time to poke at these things; he needed to take them down fast and hard. Drawing two arrows from his quiver, he set one on either side of his finger and raised his bow. Taking a deep breath, he waited for an opening, and ... THWIP!

Move Action: Shift to R8
Minor Action: change Quarry to N7 (the Skirmisher)
Standard Action:

Split the Tree (Daily)

Targets: N7, O6

Attack Roll: Best of [roll0] or [roll1] vs both ACs
Attack Damage (N7): [roll2]
Quarry Damage (N7): [roll3]
Attack Damage (O6): [roll4]

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-18, 10:42 AM
The kobold gang is getting noticably shaken. They are acting erratically and oblivious to your arrows, completely failing to dodge your shot. Both creatures are hit square in the head. For our bloodied friend, as the arrow continues through his skull, he collapses on the spot and is clearly very dead.

One bloodied, the other dead!

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-18, 10:52 AM
With anger in his eyes, the skirmisher kobold shifts twice and thrusts his spear into Sadir's side. The hit is flawless, but he is weakened after the blood loss and only manages to do so much damage.

Does 26 hit Sadir's AC? :smallwink: If so, it is a critital hit for ... wait for it ... 8 damage :smallmad:

Inspired by the successful attack, he attempts to shake off the debilitating effects currently affecting him.

As odd as it is going to sound -- I hope he fails that save: [roll0]

However ... the attack must have drained all the strength he had left. The kobold draws his last breath, and leaves the spear lodged into Sadir's side. :smallbiggrin:

Bah! 14 definitely saves, which means he suffers the aftereffect of 9 damage, which is enough to kill him.

Remember, if you want to keep someone alive (i.e. merely knocking them out instead of killing them), you need to speak up quickly. Otherwise we'll just assume they're dead.

This guy, however, you do not have the option of keeping alive, as he dies from other effects, and not a "killing blow".

Glick, have at it!

Jesse Drake
2009-10-18, 11:31 AM
Glick

Glick steps up to his foe. He smiles, as he raises his hand and prepares to strike twice. (action point- I can't use my daily nor my encounter effectively!)

Okay, here's my strikes- both with booming blade. [roll0] [roll1] for [roll2] [roll3] I'm praying to the dice gods on this one. There's no bonus for the lead the attack on this guy right? If there is, add it in please.

I'll move if he drops, so the rest will wait a second.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-18, 12:11 PM
The dragonshield manages to evade the first blow, but finds himself spinning into the second. He welps as he is struck. Injured, his anger seems to be fueled even more. The look in his eyes tells you that he is going to kill you!

The wyrmpriest, seeing his allies fall to the blade left and right has to make a quick decision -- attack, or try to escape? Why not both? He lobs another orb of acid, this time towards Sadir, seeing as how he has a spear jammed into his rib cage.

Aah! The dice gods like me! Another 26 ... this time vs Reflex ... and, again, a critical hit! 13 acid damage

The wyrmpriest chuckles with an evil grin on his face.

... then he runs walks and hides!

Stealth [roll0]

If your passive (or active) Perception beats his Stealth check, then you know where he is. Otherwise, you just know he ran south (on the map).

If you spot him, he is here:
I14

Actually, scrap that. He cannot become hidden without having superior cover or total concealment ... of which he has neither. So, he goes to I14 to have cover and concealment, but cannot hide. You all know where he is.

And in comes a giant ancient dragon!!

Well, maybe not ... Nosse's turn!

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-18, 07:03 PM
[Passive beats his Stealth check]

Nosse, snarling, drops on all fours to begin a bounding run, dropping his humanoid form as he goes. Fur replaces skin, claws elongate, and his maw takes on a powerful ursine character. Within moments, he is no longer a man, but a hulking brute of a bear.

Moving to J8. I'm pretty sure that he doesn't have cover on me from there. Minor action to change shape, move action to move my speed (7). Will edit to correct if I'm wrong. Using Charge and Pounce, I would rather use Grasping Claws, but it doesn't say specifically that it can be used as a melee basic attack on a charge, only as a melee basic attack, so I'll err on the side of caution and go with pounce.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Sighting the cursed creature once more, Nosse bounds forward, launching himself powerfully at the kobold, claws outstretched.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-18, 08:08 PM
The wyrmpriest turns around inside the foliage, realizing that his attempted escape has failed. Faced with the unability to outrun the BEAR that has now caught up with him, the only option left is to fight to the death!

The attack misses the kobold.

Sadir's response, for the conclusion of our second round of battle, is next ... after these messages from our sponsors.

Robek
2009-10-18, 09:25 PM
Sadir takes a step forward to N6. He says a quick inspirational word to himself before ordering Glick to attack the kobold between them.

5 foot step to N6. Inspirational word for 6+[roll0] health. Glick makes a basic melee attack with +4 damage if it hits.

Jesse Drake
2009-10-18, 09:55 PM
"Aye-aye cap'n." Smiles Glick, gleaming at his foe for a second before striking in a spot he believes will be efficient.

[roll0] for [roll1]

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-18, 11:04 PM
The kobold, left to his own fate, is hanging on by a thread. The bodies of his trusty comrades are scattered about him, and his leader is ready to run off and leave him behind. He now lacks all the might and willpower to dodge the blow. He is hit hard and barely manages to stay on his feet.

[hr]

Encounter post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7135640&postcount=53) update.
Rhivshar ... are you going to finish this guy off?
I guess we will see ...

MCerberus
2009-10-18, 11:23 PM
Rhivshar

With the last of the shield-bearing kobolds bleeding profusely barely able to stand, Rhiv shifts his gaze to their leader. Rushing forward, doing his best to barrel through the brush, he lifts his axe to shoulder level. Out of the brush, he gains speed before swinging at his target.

Move action to go to m10, meaning I'll get an OA from the kobold but he won't be around for long anyway...

Standard action charge to j13 subtract 2 if I get hit and marked
[roll0]
[roll1]

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-18, 11:29 PM
As you leave an opening, the kobold swings at you.
Atk [roll0]
Dmg [roll1] (marked EONT if hit)

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-18, 11:38 PM
The dragonshield kobold makes a run for it.

Shift twice, then run.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-18, 11:40 PM
Damage for leaving Glick: [roll0]

Edit: Blimey! That's exactly enough to kill the guy ... so, no running away. :smallmad:

Oh well, positive thoughts! I can win this, I can win this!!

Hashmir
2009-10-18, 11:52 PM
Eager to take the final shot, Aeran bolted toward the remaining Kobold, scrambling through the brush to get into prime range. As he ran, he drew his first arrow, letting it loose as soon as he left the foliage. Almost before the shaft had landed, another followed it, heading straight for the creature.

Move Action: Run to L12 through the foliage (it can be done with 8 move)
Minor Action: Designate Wyrmpriest as Quarry
Standard Action: Twin Strike

First Shot to Hit: [roll0] vs AC
First Shot Damage: [roll1]

Second Shot to Hit: [roll2] vs AC
Second Shot Damage: [roll3]

Quarry Damage: [roll4]

EDIT: I believe that is -2 to each shot for cover and -2 for concealment? That's not included in the rolls.

MORE EDIT: Also, would like to keep him alive if I finished it.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-18, 11:59 PM
The first arrow bounces off the kobold's hide armor. However, the second arrow strikes true. There is not much strength left in him now. Surely, if both arrows had hit, he'd be down.

Edit: Actually, neither arrow will hit.
-5 for running
-2 for cover
-2 for concealment
You would have been better off not running. Just moving as far as you can through the foliage, since the penalties would not have stacked.

But, since your turn remains valid, no take-backs :smallwink:

[hr]

Glick, you can prevent this guy from getting another turn ... but will you be able to?

Jesse Drake
2009-10-19, 06:43 AM
Glick

Glick moves up to the grass, then makes a quick dart right next to Aeran (K12). He focuses on his foe. Then he unleashes a bolt of lightning from his blade, calling his foe to him... hopefully.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-19, 12:34 PM
The wyrmpriest unleashes his breathweapon against Nosse, Rhivshar, and Glick.

vs Fortitude (-4 penalty included):
Nosse -- 20
Rhivshar -- 19
Glick -- 12

13 acid damage, 6 acid if the attack misses you

Nosse, you're up, whether the guy is knocked out or not ...

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-19, 06:29 PM
[Whoops, saw the IC first. I'm fine with knocking him out, otherwise:]

With an enraged roar as he is covered in acid, Nosse claws at the priest wildly.

Grasping Claws: [roll0] v Reflex. +1 if he's bloodied, I can't remember if he is or not.
[roll1], and if hit, he's slowed.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-19, 06:43 PM
With a last mighty blow, the wyrmpriest has been knocked out. As you take a moment to look around, you see that you have successfully defeated and killed four of his comrades. For some reason, you decided to keep this lizard alive.

Let's run with one more round of initiative, just so everyone has a chance to speak on what they want done. What do you do next?

Nosse, you may start ...

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-19, 06:59 PM
Nosse grunts, noncommittally, still remaining in bear form. He would prefer to just kill them and have done with it, and then he'd have something to eat for a few days, but civilised folk seemed to be more prone to unnecessary mercy and did not eat the bodies of enemies of other species for some reason, so he stayed silent for now.

Spending 2 healing surges.

Robek
2009-10-19, 07:12 PM
"Now we shall have information to give us the jump on these beasts. Once he is conscious we can interrogate him, but first we'll need some rope to tie him up. After that, we can always use him as a servant. I am more than willing to keep watch of him." Sadir says with a smile.

MCerberus
2009-10-19, 07:44 PM
Rhivshar

With the last kobold out of commission, Rhiv breaths heavily through his nostrils and takes a much more relaxed stance. Grabbing the kobold by the neck, he picks it up and drags it back to its dead friends.

"I don't see why we'd need to tie it up. It'll just be a liability if we keep it alive. We need to squeeze it for everything it knows before finishing it."

Jesse Drake
2009-10-19, 08:25 PM
Glick

Glick smiles. "Do what must be done, but don't draw it out. We're mercenaries, not dungeon masters. There'll be no torture here."

Hashmir
2009-10-19, 11:58 PM
Aeran raised an eyebrow.

"If you think you can get something useful out of him, then by all means. I prefer to trust my own senses."

With that, he set about obtaining the promised fingers and checking the Kobolds' bodies for anything of interest.

Not sure if I need to apply a skill to loot bodies. If so, I guess I'll be taking 10 anyway -- Perception, maybe? That's a 21...

Robek
2009-10-20, 12:10 AM
"What would be the point of killing him? We beat him in a fight, captured him, and now we're going to kill him? It's barbaric. While we're at it should we start eating flesh and defiling corpses? If we do take him prisoner, and he does get away, so what? A kobold has already gotten away (I think :smalltongue:), and what's one more kobold to fight? Not that we would ever let him get away." says Sadir calmly, while joining the rest of the group around the unconscious kobold.

MCerberus
2009-10-20, 12:13 AM
Rhivshar

Rhiv drops the unconscious kobold in the middle of his fallen allies and gives a small nod at Aeran as the elf starts harvesting the kills. Keeping an eye on the group's new guest, he moves over to one of the grave markers and leans against it and catches his breath. Rhivhsar mulls over what happened in the battle, realizing his mistake of charging into the shield bearers' line before the group was able to act. After a few moments he turns to Glick,

"We're not keeping it alive to hear it scream. It'll tell us what it knows and then we'll end it quick. No pain," Rhiv motions to his axe, "just a rolling head."

Continuing the conversation after Sadir speaks, Rhiv continues.

"You don't trust a kobold. If we keep it alive it'll get away eventually and raise the alert. You CANNOT take an oath from a rat."

Robek
2009-10-20, 12:24 AM
"Raise the alert? They're lizards... we're smarter, stronger and tougher than them. If kobolds were a real threat, they would be the superior species while we would be living in dungeons. If you truly believe that this is our only alternative, I will not stop you today. But beware of the greater powers in life, for I will not be asking for mercy for your soul." says Sadir, in one run-on paragraph, before stopping for a breath.

MCerberus
2009-10-20, 12:34 AM
Rhivshar

A short angry glare comes over Rhiv's face for a split second as Sadir explains how "lizards" are inferior. It should be obvious now that the conversation isn't making him happy or more righteous.

"You can talk about judgement all you want. How about we let this one go but still take its finger? That way we can see if you're merciful or stupid."

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-20, 01:59 AM
Padding over, Nosse shifts back into his humanoid form, reluctantly, and watches the others converse over the Kobold's fate. He visibly starts at the mention of "eating flesh". The blood from the battle still covers his hands and mouth.

Hashmir
2009-10-20, 11:09 AM
Finishing his search, Aeran walked back to the group and tossed down a small bag filled with Kobold fingers -- claws, really -- as well as some coins and a dragon figurine taken off of the Wyrmpriest.

"There you go."

Looking at his arguing companions, he paused for a moment ... and then began wandering the perimeter, watching for follow-up parties.

Jesse Drake
2009-10-20, 11:28 AM
Glick

Interested, Glick turns to Aeran and asks to see the dragon figurine. Then noticing the sketching, he tries to see what it might be.

[roll0]

Robek
2009-10-20, 12:42 PM
"Now that that's settled, shall we continue on our way?" he says while looking at the path. "And if you cannot figure out what that figurine is, I'd be more than happy to look at it."

Jesse Drake
2009-10-20, 01:12 PM
Glick

Glick smiles. "Nice tattoos." He comments, handing the figurine over. His skin instantly takes on a similar body tattoo look (minus the blue skin of course). "Maybe I should go dark red." He muses with himself, just shifting the tattoo colors. "Oh, and I agree, we should continue on."

Robek
2009-10-20, 01:18 PM
Sadir takes the figurine from Glick, before looking back and noticing the tattoos on him. Huh...
Sadir brings the figure close to his eye and studies it top to bottom.

Religion:[roll0] I win!

Hashmir
2009-10-20, 01:45 PM
Aeran walked back over and watched the others go over the figurine.

"You know, the more I look at that, the more I feel it has some significance. Perhaps the kobold itself could tell us."

Robek
2009-10-20, 01:57 PM
Sadir kneels and puts his backpack on the ground. He pulls out his rope and cuts enough to tie the kobold up. He ties his hands together, as well as his feet, before putting the rest of his rope back into his backpack. He then looks the kobold over for any weapons it might be carrying. "That ought to do it. If you want to interrogate him, now's the time. Otherwise, let's head out."

MCerberus
2009-10-20, 02:59 PM
Rhivshar

With the kobold now tied up and everyone concentrating on the figure found on one of the bodies, Rhiv goes up to the captive and tries to wake it up with a (moderately) soft kick to the gut. Crouching to get closer to the rat but still towering over it, he begins to speak in a harsh, angry tone of draconic.

Dialog
"My allies have decided to keep you alive. You're going to answer some questions. If you sing like a bird you just might live. Otherwise, I WILL kill you. Slowly. How would you like to lay on the road unable to move while your life slowly drains from the stump where your arm used to be?"

rolls
[roll0]
[roll1]

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-20, 03:17 PM
The wyrmpriest awakes with a start.

In draconic:
"Szartharrax?!"

He is noticably shaken by your words.

MCerberus
2009-10-20, 03:40 PM
Rhivshar

"No, but you can tell us who he is. That's the second time I've heard you say the name. He the one behind your little ambushes?"

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-20, 04:00 PM
"Ha! You can never measure up to his greatness! No, he is not behind this ... We attack to survive, and to feed him."

Then he remembers your threats.

"Szartharrax is going to tear you all apart. But first you will need to find our lair ... and you will never find it under the old mansion!"

The wyrmpriest goes silent.

"Are you really going to let me live?"

MCerberus
2009-10-20, 04:18 PM
Rhivshar

Glaring at the kobold, Rhiv stands tall and goes over to the rest of the group, presumably still looking over the statue.

"I think they have something under the mansion. They've been feeding it with their raiding parties. Anyone have anything they want to ask it before we take its finger and get moving?"

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-20, 04:36 PM
"What mansion?! You'll never get me to tell you anything about it!"

Clearly, the wyrmpriest is a tad loony.

"Szartharrax is a great terrifying dragon! He will tear you all to pieces!"

Then he talks to himself ...

"But, of course they will have to get past the guards ... and the traps ... and Skull-Skull!" He chuckles. "I AM NOT TELLING YOU ANYTHING!"

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-20, 07:28 PM
Nosse speaks up, reluctantly: "If we plan to find a place to rest, we should do so. We are in the open here. I know the forest here, the manor the Kobold speaks of is merely a mile away, in the forest."

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-20, 07:39 PM
Passive Perception DC15
The kobold nods in agreement with your words, but then catches himself and looks around innocently to see if anyone noticed.

MCerberus
2009-10-20, 08:06 PM
Rhivshar

Going over to the loot pile, Rhiv takes the shortsword and then goes back to the prisoner. After kicking the kobold to the ground, he slices off its bounty finger showing little emotion.

"If I see you again, you'll wish you died here."

Deciding it would be prudent to keep a secondary weapon on hand, he ties the kobold-sized sheath cord around his arm.

"Our friend claims that the mansion holds a dragon lair, as well as the kobold scums' usual traps. We should go in fresh."

Robek
2009-10-20, 08:24 PM
"So are we ready to head out? Or perhaps we should set up camp somewhere nearby and head out tomorrow?" says Sadir, addressing the whole party.

Hashmir
2009-10-20, 08:28 PM
Aeran had drifted idly towards the nearby brush, and after a little innocuous rustling, he turned around with a flair -- now wearing the ill-fitting bone mask, and brandishing a spear and shield.

"We could sneak in," he mused sardonically, with a grin largely concealed by the mask. "Tomorrow, that is. All the kobold-slaying has left me rather tired."

Jesse Drake
2009-10-20, 08:40 PM
Glick

Glick smiles. "Let's get some rest. We're not in any hurry now are we?"

Let's rest! I used my action point with that in mind.

Robek
2009-10-20, 08:57 PM
"Let's go. We can set up outside the mansion. That way we can keep an eye on it, and be close tomorrow morning. Sound good?"

Hashmir
2009-10-20, 09:03 PM
Aeran tossed his head back, deftly catching the mask as it flew off.

"Just give me trees and I am home. I believe I shall take the morning watch."

Robek
2009-10-20, 09:13 PM
"Well then Nosse, lead us to the manor, and we can camp in the woods outside. I believe we're all set."

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-21, 02:27 AM
There is the occasional rustle in the leaves from the wind, but the night otherwise passes uneventfully.

Hashmir
2009-10-21, 10:47 AM
As dawn broke, Aeran woke the others in the temporary camp, almost preternaturally cheery. He still had the bone mask in one hand and his knife in the other -- apparently, he had been carving a bit off the inside to make it fit better and expanding the eyeholes so as to not obstruct his vision..

"Happy morning! Time to eat! Or kill things! Or kill things and eat them! Or eat while we kill things! To the hunt!"

With that, he rather authoritatively put on the mask and picked up his bow.

I heart my bone mask. :smallbiggrin:

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-21, 12:22 PM
While Aeran is still talking, the first few raindrops start to fall.

Anyone trained in Nature knows that a storm is coming.

Robek
2009-10-21, 01:11 PM
Sadir only sits up at first. Slowly, he picks himself up and stretches. He rubs his eyes just as a large yawn sets in. "Good morning." He pulls his backpack out from under the pile of leaves he was hiding it in and takes out his breakfast. "Yum. traveler's food." He looks up at the cheerful man in his silly mask. "I suppose it is nearly time for action. Or... the hunt, as you say."

Hashmir
2009-10-21, 01:54 PM
Looking up, Aeran saw the dark clouds rolling in. When he spoke, his enthusiasm was noticeably dampened.

"We should hurry. If the kobolds are indeed under the manor, then we would do well to scout the forest around it. And I hate searching in the rain -- hard to see ahead, hard to find hidden things, and hard to track the prey. Eat quickly or stay behind."

Adjusting his mask, Aeran moved to the edge of the camp and hovered there.

EDIT: Never mind; we're there!

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-21, 01:56 PM
While there are a lot of footprints and paths surrounding the ruin, you have no problem following the main path to find a decently hidden double door that appears to lead underground.

{table=head]Door|Door
http://www.galagalaxia.com/dnd/KotS/Glick.png|http://www.galagalaxia.com/dnd/KotS/Rhivshar.png
http://www.galagalaxia.com/dnd/KotS/Aeran.png|http://www.galagalaxia.com/dnd/KotS/Nosse.png
http://www.galagalaxia.com/dnd/KotS/Sadir.png|[/table]

Hashmir
2009-10-21, 02:10 PM
As he watched the back of the group for an ambush, Aeran drew his bow and an arrow, and glanced over his shoulder at the doors.

"Whenever you're ready."

MCerberus
2009-10-21, 06:22 PM
Rhivshar

Pressed against the the door, Rhiv waits for confirmation from the others that they were ready. When the others are prepared, he takes a step back and bears his shoulder towards his side of the door.

"3... 2... 1..."

Rhivshar rushes towards the door and doesn't flinch at the impact.

I suppose I might need a strength check, or it was never locked... meh...

[roll0]

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-21, 06:35 PM
The unlocked door bursts off its hinges and collapses into the descending hallway ahead of you. Surely the sound must have alerted anyone immediately inside.

Suddenly you hear a hissing voice: "Intrudersss! Intrudersss! They are here!"

[hr]

Time to roll for Initiative!

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-21, 06:43 PM
Encounter — Inside Kobold Hall (E1)!

|16|Aeran|G9|
|16|Nosse|G8|
|16|Rhivshar|G6|
|15|Kobold W|I1|Dead!
|15|Glick|H1|
|14|Kobold K|I10|Dead!
|14|Kobold K|G12|Dead!
|14|Kobold K|H10|Dead!
|10|Kobold S|D10|Dead!
|10|Kobold S|G7|Dead!
|6|Sadir|F6|[/table]

Battlemap:

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-22, 01:44 AM
In front of you are a set of stairs which descend into a short hallway. The hallway opens up into a room which is dominated by a long trench filled with a glowing green substance. Beyond the trench you see a kobold, undoubtedly the one who just yelled. He is holding a sling in his hand, apparently already loaded with a stone, ready to be released in an attack.

[hr]

Aeran, you start off this battle!

Hashmir
2009-10-22, 08:29 AM
Aeran was rather irritated at the creature's squealing. He jumped halfway down the stairs to get a clearer shot, and then sent two arrows across the hallway in quick succession.

Minor Action: Designate C8 as Quarry (Is that a Skirmisher? Does Aeran know that from the last battle?)
Move Action: Walk to M9.
Standard Action:

Twin Strike

[roll0] (+1 from Prime Shot)
[roll1]

[roll2] (+1 from Prime Shot)
[roll3]

[roll4]

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-22, 08:41 AM
The lightly armored kobold is struck in the chest by both arrows. Although he staggers slightly, he keeps whirling the sling about.

[hr]

Encounter post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7167682&postcount=140) updated.
Nosse gets to act next.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-23, 02:46 AM
[OOC: Sorry, I edited my action and you responded to the pre-edit one. I'll just change it back.]

Nosse movse forward, and waits for his more heavily armoured companions to move into the fray.

Taking Total Defense.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-23, 02:57 AM
As you move forward, you uncover slightly more of the room ahead.

New square with white border.

Encounter post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7167682&postcount=140) updated.
Rhivshar may take his turn.

MCerberus
2009-10-23, 10:46 AM
Rhivshar

Stepping around his allies that had already taken positions, Rhiv rushes into the fray of battle. Usually not an issue, the weight of his armor prevents him from meeting his foe immediately. Midway through his movement, Rhiv yells back at Glick, "Take the left."

Move action: walk to j8
Move action: walk to e7

avoiding mystery goo, obviously.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-23, 10:58 AM
After walking down the hallway, you suddenly spot a creature to your left, previously hiding in the shadows. There is something familiar about this creature. A bandaged left hand quickly helps you realize that this is the kobold wyrmpriest from last night!

You spot the kobold after walking to J9. (You cannot walk to J8, as you cannot cut a hard corner.) You may proceed with walking as previously stated, or change the last part of your turn. Battle map updated.

MCerberus
2009-10-23, 11:24 AM
Spotting a kobold previously hidden in the shadows, Rhiv changes direction. "Change of plans" Still keeping his momentum, he charges over to the kobold and swings laterally at it.

[roll0]
[roll1]
looks like ending up at g12

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-23, 11:40 AM
Now that you can see the entire area, you realize that more kobolds are hiding. You barely have a chance to yell out to your fellow party members before they move to strike!

The wyrmpriest shifts footing and calls out words of encouragement to his allies before jabbing you with his spear with revenge in his eyes!

"This is for my finger!" he hisses.

Natural 20! I assume 27 hits your AC? That's 8 damage :smallbiggrin:

Rhivshar gets to make an OA, if he wants. Then it is Glick's turn.

MCerberus
2009-10-23, 11:42 AM
Rhiv strikes at the kobold before it can slink away.

[roll0]
[roll1]

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-23, 11:51 AM
The kobold, obviously weakened from last night's battle, winces as the axe strikes him. He is now bloodied.

Jesse Drake
2009-10-23, 12:01 PM
Glick

As per Rhivsar's original order, Glick runs to G-11. He's smiling, drawing out sword, he gets next to the goo and points his blade to his foe.

[roll0] for [roll1], pulling him to F-11, if I hit.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-23, 12:18 PM
A shield bearing kobold comes running walking out from the back room. In a move geared towards protecting the wyrmpriest, he musters all his might in an attempt at pushing Rhivshar into the sludge pit.

No OAs for movement. Walk + shift gets him where he wants to be, safely.

STR vs Rhiv's Fort [roll0] (rolling it here since it's an epic move, if pulled off)

Another kobold comes running/skipping/leaping walking out from behind the portcullis.

STR vs Glick's Fort [roll1] (add +1 if the bull rush against Rhivshar was successful).

The last kobold comes charging towards Glick, setting the organized attack in motion.

27 vs AC
If he hits, he deals 8 damage

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-23, 12:27 PM
The coordinated efforts of the kobolds prove fruitful! Unitedly they gather around Rhivshar and Glick and manage to push both of them into the pit! Even though the fall hurts, you find that the sludge somewhat cushions your fall.

Extra damage against Rhiv: [roll0]
Extra damage against Glick: [roll1]

You are both immobilized. You can attempt to break free using a DC13 Strength check as a move action. Climbing out of the pit, once free, requires a DC10 Athletics check. You can walk in the sludge, although it is considered difficult terrain. If you end your movement in the sludge, however, you are once again immobilized.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-23, 12:40 PM
The slingers quickly act next. The first launches a stone at Aeran.

11 vs AC
9 damage if hit

The second slinger shoots a bluish bullet towards Nosse.

19 vs Reflex
If hit, you are immobilized (save ends)

Sadir, you may end this turn on a good note.

Robek
2009-10-23, 02:05 PM
Sadir runs to confront the closest kobold. He strikes down against the kobold in front of him.

Run to I10. Melee Basic Attack against the kobold at H10:[roll0] [roll1]

Edit:Hold on, I'm going to spend an action point.

Robek
2009-10-23, 02:12 PM
Sadir builds up the rest of his power to make another attack. He swings his sword with all his might against the kobold in front of him. "Come comrades! Gather your courage, be the heroes you are!"

Attack the kobold at H10 with Lead the Attack. [roll0] vs. AC [roll1]. If it hits, each ally and I within 5 squares gain +5 to attack rolls. If it misses, we gain +1 to attack rolls.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-23, 02:18 PM
Your first swing takes the kobold by surprise. He really did not expect you to come down the stairs that fast! Luckily for him, your speed impaired the accuracy of your attack enough to miss him. However, by the time you swung your sword a second time, the kobold was alerted to your presence and was able to dodge your attack.

Sorry. Both attacks missed. But, everyone has +1 on their attacks against that kobold.

Aeran is next.

Hashmir
2009-10-23, 04:00 PM
Seeing his companions disappear into the central pit, Aeran swore under his breath. Moving slightly forward, he swiftly drew and fired two arrows at his quarry.

Move: Walk to K9.
Standard: Targeting D10.

Twin Strike

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]

Also, I will be using an Action Point after I see the results.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-23, 04:10 PM
Despite the slight cover granted to the enemy by one of his allies, both arrows strike true! In fact, the arrows strike with such force that the small creature appears for a moment as though pinned to the back wall. In the next instant, however, his dead body falls to the floor.

Yup, he's dead alright!

Hashmir
2009-10-23, 04:31 PM
One was a start, but there was no time for satisfaction. Shifting his focus to the nearest kobold, Aeran continued shooting with almost supernatural speed.

Minor: Designate H10 as Quarry.
Action Point -- Standard: Target H10.

Two-Fanged Strike

Attacks include +1 to hit from Sadir, and +2/+4 from spending Action Point.

[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Damage if both hit: 4 (WIS mod)

[roll4]

EDIT: If the second doesn't hit, I'm rerolling with Elven Accuracy. If I don't get to know before I decide, I'm rolling it anyway.

[roll=Elven Accuracy]d20+9 (See OOC)

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-23, 09:27 PM
You manage to exploit the kobold's vulnerability. Just as he moves to dodge Sadir's fearsome blow, he is penetrated by two arrows. Instant death!

Remember that you can only apply quarry damage once per round. Still, the kobold is dead without it, thanks to Sadir's granted bonus damage.

Nosse ... not sure what you can do while immobilized, but your turn is up next!

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-23, 09:50 PM
Hmm. If I can target the Kobold in G11 I will, with Call of the Beast. (Area Burst 1, If hits, can't gain combat advantage until end of next turn and takes 9 psychic damage if doesn't attack ally nearest to it) Otherwise he'll aim it at G10
Wisdom v Will [roll0]
(And if he can target G11)
[roll1]

Howling in impotent fury, Nosse growls savagely at his attackers, shifting into the shape of a dark brown bear as he rages.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-23, 10:59 PM
The countenance of the three kobolds caught in the burst instantly changes. A savage look is in their eyes, as they look about themselves for the next target.

All are hit and must attack nearest enemy (or one of the nearest, in case of a tie) or suffer psychic damage.

Rhivshar ... Your turn.

MCerberus
2009-10-23, 11:26 PM
Rhivshar

The goo at first shows to be resilient to Rhivshar's thrashings. After a moment or too, he rips himself free. As the goo begins to solidify around him again, Rhiv spots the kobold above him, still alive. Damned if he'll let that happen. Digging his claws into the side of the pit, he climbs his way up diagonally, arrive at an open space near his finger-missing foe.

(Assuming something catastrophic doesn't happen with the OA I know is coming)

Looking very displeased and covered with semi-liquid goop, he locks gazes with the wounded kobold before roaring, giving it a taste of icy death its dead comrades were familiar with.

As per the OOC thread, first break free attempt fail, second succeeded, burning an AP for movement, breath attack minor. Starting at f-11- (-2) to e-11- (-1) to e-11-0 is 2 squares 4 move, get shunted onto the open square at the end of the climb. Don't get warlord bonuses due to my AP being used on a move. Auto-succeed on the climb

[roll0] vs Reflex
[roll1] vs Reflex
[roll2] vs Reflex
[roll3]

If the kobold hits me with an OA and I become bloodied
[roll4] vs DC 15

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-23, 11:59 PM
Seeing your climb, one of the kobolds swipes at you with a spear.

18 vs AC, for 1 damage :smallannoyed:

Perhaps the sludge dampened your breath weapon a little, or perhaps the wyrmpriest was simply at better health than you expected, for he turns towards you and unleashes a bolt of acid, familiar to you from the night before.

Only the last one actually got hit.

As for the attack against you: 21 vs Reflex, 10 damage

Glick, you're up next.

Jesse Drake
2009-10-24, 12:20 AM
Glick

Just like his draconic friend before him, Glick tried and tried to wriggle his way out. It kept him down at first, but then he finally managed to pull himself through. He quickly scrambled his way up. But not before smiling, and taking a form that was a mix between the kobolds and Rhivsar.

I've got a nifty minor action racial power I can use too. Oh, and I'm scrambling to H-11.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-24, 12:26 AM
The two skirmisher kobolds are entirely out of sync. Although normally well timed and tactically smart, they seem to lack the will or patience to do so now. Nevertheless, they attack with a fierce demeanor and brutal power (at least as much brutal power as a kobold can achieve).

Two attacks (-2 each, since marked by Rhiv -- included):
20 vs AC, 5 damage
18 vs AC, 6 damage

One kobold double-shifted around you. The other attacked and withdrew with a shift.

The slinger, having watched how you two managed to break free from the sludge without much effort (some kobolds have been known to be stuck for weeks, should they have the misfortune to fall in), he becomes worried about being a victim of the pit himself. He reaches into his pouch for another bluish stone which he hurls towards Rhivshar, hoping to immobilize him.

12 vs Reflex, if hit, you are immobilized (save ends)

The kobold the retreats towards the other end of the chamber.

[hr]

Sadir, will you do the honors and conclude this round ...

Robek
2009-10-24, 01:37 AM
Sadir takes a single step to flank the dastardly kobold. He yells out "Glick, take advantage of our enemies weakness, and your own strength!"

Shift to J11.
Commander's strike to let Glick click make an attack. With +4 damage.
Inspiring word to heal Glick for healing surge + [roll0]

Jesse Drake
2009-10-24, 07:49 AM
Glick

"I think I will." He grins with a scaly smile. "Hi ho!"

[roll0] [roll1], and no longer bloodied.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-24, 11:03 AM
A well placed strike with the sword catches the kobold with surprise. His eyes are noticably bloodshot from the blow.

That was actually an additional +4 damage ... And the kobold is now bloodied.

Aeran ... more kills coming up?

Hashmir
2009-10-24, 11:16 AM
Seeing two of the kobolds near death, Aeran goes for the swift kills.

Minor: Designate I11 as Quarry.
Standard: Target I11 and F12.

Twin Strike

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-24, 11:53 AM
Your excitement must have gotten the best of you, as both arrows miss their targets. The last one goes quite wide, forcing Rhivshar to duck to avoid the incoming projectile.

[hr]

Nosse ... your turn.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-24, 08:14 PM
Nosse concentrates, willing his muscles to move.

Just taking the full defense action.
Saving Throw [roll0]

MCerberus
2009-10-24, 08:43 PM
Rhivshar

Struggling to break free of immobilizing goo... what's with these things an immobilizing goo?, Rhivshar thrashes about wildly. In a blind rage, he roars loudly, determined to kill the remaining kobolds.

Healing surge 9 HP up to 16
[roll0]
Get the second wind defenses

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-25, 12:59 AM
The wyrmpriest looks at Rhivshar. There is revenge in his eyes. He holds up his wounded hand.

Draconic:
This is for my lost finger!

He then aims a forceful orb of acid at Rhivshar.

22 vs Reflex, 12 acid damage

Then he takes off running.

He runs past Glick, who gets to make an OA. If the kobold is still alive, he runs to G3.

Glick's turn ... first for an OA, if desired ... Then for his actual turn.

Jesse Drake
2009-10-25, 08:08 AM
Glick

Glick smiles, as he swings at the guy trying to leave him. Then, turning to the guy in front, he uses Lightning Clash, striking the foe, then sending a bolt to the foe in G-6.

[roll0]+2 for [roll1] first attack. [roll2] +2 for [roll3] for the second hit, then lightning time. [roll4], this time versus reflex, and only if the prior one hits, for [roll5]

Edit- Reason for the +2- I didn't factor in Combat Advantage into either one of them.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-25, 10:55 AM
The wyrmpriest cackles as he runs past you. Agile as he is, he manages to run right along the edge of the sludge pit, staying barely out of reach for your swing.

The skirmisher, who manages to dodge your swing as well, grins at you as he grabs his spear.

Draconic
Hurtin' time!

As the two kobolds shift into flanking position, they are able to take advantage of a momentary distraction as they both strike at you simultaneously.

First attack: 29 vs AC! A critical hit, for 14 damage
Second attack: 21 vs AC, for 10 damage

Ouch! :smallfrown:

The slinger quickly acts next, moving within range of Aeran. He reaches into his pouch for yet another bluish stone. Surely he must be out of those by now!

11 vs Reflex, if hit you are immobilized (save ends)

He then shifts back to take advantage of cover again.

[hr]

Sadir is up next.

Robek
2009-10-25, 02:10 PM
Sadir seems to fade into mist as he moves to behind the kobold. He tells Glick "Move! They have you flanked!" He strikes down on the kobold in front of him with his sword while telling Glick "You are down but not out! Never lose hope!"

Move to I9 via Swift Current. Use Wolf pack tactics to have Glick shift one square as a free action. [roll0] +2 on top of that if Glick flanks with me. [roll1]. Inspiring word on Glick for [roll2] + healing surge.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-25, 04:35 PM
The agile kobolds seem almost impossible to hit as you swing your sword.

You probably already knew it ... but the attack missed

Aeran ...

Hashmir
2009-10-25, 04:39 PM
Seeing his companions fail to strike the dodging kobold, Aeran decides to help them finish the fight -- it was getting too close for comfort anyway.

Standard:

Twin Strike

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]

EDIT: If I killed it:

Minor: Quarry on G7
Move: Walk to J11

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-25, 04:50 PM
The kobold is hit square between the eyes and drops even as Sadir finishes his swing.

[hr]

Nosse's turn is next.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-25, 06:45 PM
Finally able to move again, Nosse bounds forward, still in his wild shape, and hurls himself at the nearest enemy.

Moving up and charging the Kobold at G7, using Grasping Claws. If I get him, he's slowed until the end of my next turn.
Attack v Reflex [roll0]
[roll1]

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-25, 09:54 PM
Unfortunately, just as you reach the kobold, you step on some sludge on the floor, presumably dragged up from the pit. You are able to prevent falling, but the are impaired from making the attack as successful as it otherwise could have been.

[hr]

Rhivshar ... You may change the current bad luck if you want.

MCerberus
2009-10-26, 12:46 AM
Rhivshar

Rhiv does his best to shrug off the acid dripping over him. Eying the nearest kobold, he rushes forward and strikes at it.

[roll0] (+1 for bloodied)
[roll1] 4 damage if miss

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-26, 12:57 AM
Your rage is too much for the poor kobold to handle. Although previously unharmed, your mighty axe cuts the poor kobold asunder. His torso separates from the rest of his body, leaving no doubt the mighty Rhivshar was just here.

The wyrmpriest shrieks as his comrade falls to the ground. He lobs yet another orb of acid at Rhivshar.

23 10 vs Reflex (but you have +2 due to cover) ... for 7 damage (had it hit)

He then darts around the corner and out of view.

[hr]

Glick! What is up your sleeve?

Jesse Drake
2009-10-26, 08:01 AM
Glick

Glick casually walks to H-8, and stands next to Nosse, pointing his blade at his foe. He unleashes a thundering slash. He swings, and cuts his foe with the fury of a storm.
[roll0] No damage done here.- Son of a *grumble grumble*

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-26, 12:27 PM
The slinger glares at you. He responds quickly to your attack by drawing his dagger with which he tries to slash at you.

17 vs AC, for 4 damage ... but that doesn't hit, so ...

Sadir, we are coming back to you now ...

Robek
2009-10-26, 03:00 PM
Sadir walks to F6.

Using standard action as a move action.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-26, 03:26 PM
Aeran ... you start off the next round.

Hashmir
2009-10-26, 03:32 PM
Aeran sweeps to the side and closes in on the final kobold, letting loose some more arrows.

Move: Walk to G9
Standard:

Twin Shot

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]

EDIT: Those damage rolls should just be d10 with no modifiers. Sorry.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-26, 03:41 PM
The kobold takes the first arrow hard in the shoulder. He opens his mouth to let out a welp, but is then hit in the throat, leaving nothing but a gurgle coming out.

Both hit, and he is now bloodied

Nosse, you are next.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-26, 07:37 PM
Having been unbloodied throughout the fight, Nosse claws once more at the kobold.

Grasping Claws, if hit he's slowed until the end of my next turn
[roll0]
[roll1]

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-26, 07:44 PM
Your claws dig deep into the kobold's scaly skin. He writhes in pain.

However, the kobold is not slowed in his movement like you would expect him to be ...

Still puzzled by this, as the claws are retracted, you understand the reason why! The kobold is not slowed. He is dead!

[hr]

Rhivshar ... Your turn next.

Hashmir
2009-10-26, 08:51 PM
"The priest is close! He's around the corner!"

Just making sure it's out there.

MCerberus
2009-10-27, 01:32 AM
Rhivshar

With the caster kobold running off, Rhiv looks up from his kill towards where Aeran motions. Trying to get into good position to bust down the portcullis. Rhiv pushes through the crowd, but does not have the momentum after that to try and burst through. Standing near the slime pit, he prepares to open the gate to let the group flood in.

2 move actions to get me to f7. Can't get to the gate in one, so it'll be next round before I can get a burst, unless for some odd reason charge works that way. Bah sometimes you miss having an adamantite greatsword for these things.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-27, 02:04 PM
@Rhivshar
You may still update your actions, even though I am going to take the wyrmpriest's turn. To clarify -- you can get to the portcullis and attempt to lift it, all in one round, by running.

Suddenly, the wyrmpriest peeks around the corner and throws another orb of acid at Rhivshar, cackling madly.

[roll0] vs Reflex, [roll1] acid damage

Then the wyrmpriest scoots back behind the wall again.

[hr]

Glick, you're next (after we know if Rhivshar has opened the portcullis or not).

MCerberus
2009-10-27, 05:39 PM
Digging in, Rhivshar tries to open the barrier... by force.

[roll0] DC Unkown

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-27, 06:06 PM
As you start lifting the portcullis, it gives just a little more resistance than you had anticipated. You are able to lift it just enough that your fellow party members can pass underneath. However, if you let go, you know it will close again, as you are unable to lift it high enough to lock it into place.

Okay, you guys can now pass under the portcullis. Rhivshar himself cannot, however, as he barely barely missed the DC to permanently lift it up. You can operate the lever on the inside as a minor action, which would make the portcullis stay open.

If you are going after the wyrmpriest
He is currently in square I1, at the top of some stairs that descend to a door 10 feet below. The door is a sturdy metal door. It is currently closed.

Jesse Drake
2009-10-27, 09:39 PM
Glick

Glick takes his second wind and moves up to H-1.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-27, 10:14 PM
Sadir ... you are next.

Robek
2009-10-28, 12:11 AM
Sadir waits for his allies to stop the kobold, knowing there is not much he can do.

Pass.

Hashmir
2009-10-28, 12:29 AM
Moving down the hallway, Aeran moves right up to the corner to cover Glick, peppering the narrow corridor with arrows.

Move: Walk to G2
Minor: Designate I1 as Quarry
Standard:

Twin Strike

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-28, 09:34 AM
As the first arrow pierces the wyrmpriest's body, it quickly becomes clear that you have -- finally -- defeated your newfound nemesis.

End of encounter!

MCerberus
2009-10-28, 01:03 PM
Rhivshar

Still holding up the portcullis, Rhivshar strains and shifts his body back to a better position to push it up completely. Seeing those in the hallway relax their guard a little, he yells down.

"There's got to be a... lever or something."

[roll0]

Hashmir
2009-10-28, 01:05 PM
As the wyrmpriest fell, Aeran walked over to the lever and opened the portcullis.

"Looks like some of you could use a rest."

He sat down to carve four notches into the side of his mask -- one for each foe killed while wearing it -- and then set about collecting fingers and checking bodies.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-28, 05:25 PM
Encounter — Inside Kobold Hall (E2)!
The Tomb

|24|Rhivshar|G5|
|21|Aeran|F8|
|20|Sadir|B9|
|19|Kobold K|H5|Dead!
|19|Kobold K|G4|Dead!
|19|Kobold K|F16|Dead!
|15|Nosse|G15|
|12|Glick|E11|[/table]

Battlemap:

Known trigger squares for the dart traps are marked on the map along with which dart trap they trigger.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-28, 05:43 PM
Perception (active or passive) DC20
You spot a firing mechanism in each suit of armor. Clearly trapped!

During one of your turns, you can make another active Perception check as a standard action to attempt finding a trigger.

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-28, 11:32 PM
As you burst through the door to this chamber, you immediately notice four stone coffins, all of which show signs of vandalism and abuse. To your left is a series of six niches, set apart into two groups of three. Two more niches along the walls each hold a suit of armor. Towards the end of the room is a raised section of floor with a makeshift altar to Tiamat set atop it.

You find that the three kobolds present are actually surprised to see you. They have been so preoccupied with making a small sacrifice at the altar (praying for good luck and successful hunting during the day) that were completely oblivious to your presence.

With a start they stand and turn towards you, ready fight you off. Each kobold is carrying a spear, much like the ones you just fought off.

You guys were able to gain surprise on these guys. You may each perform one action in order. Assume that you start your turn in A13. Charging from this position is not possible.

Rhivshar, you lead us off into this battle.

Jesse Drake
2009-10-29, 12:47 AM
Glick

Glick smiles. "Heh, come on. Let's get into position. I don't think they see us... yet" Glick slinks(walks) toward to E-11, walking calmly. He gets into position, staring down the kobold right in front of him (E-2)

MCerberus
2009-10-29, 01:53 AM
Rhivshar

Gripping his axe tightly, Rhivshar peeks around the corner to take a look at the kobolds. He could almost smell the vermin from here, but that could just be the general stink of the place.

"I have the right," he cooly remarks before rushing out.

Running to H13. Don't think the penalty will be much of a handicap.

Hashmir
2009-10-29, 07:58 AM
Flattening himself against the wall to let others through the doorway, Aeran squints at the statues to try and find some sort of deactivation mechanism.

[roll0]

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-29, 02:31 PM
Encounter post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7209356&postcount=207) updated.
Still awaiting Nosse's and Sadir's actions during the surprise round. After everyone has acted, I will summarize and relay information about what happened during the surprise round.

Robek
2009-10-29, 02:37 PM
Sadir walks to B9 and gets ready to combat the kobolds.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-31, 03:52 AM
[Nosse will move behind the coffin, at D9]

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-31, 09:46 AM
As you start moving through the room, the kobolds are eagerly watching you approach them. Just as Glick moves around the coffin, one of the stones on the floor shifts ever so slightly. THWAP! The suit of armor on your left launches a bolt with great accuracy.

23 vs AC (with cover), you take 8 damage and are immobilized until the end of your next turn.

Clearly this room is trapped. Although some of you had already spotted the launching mechanisms, the triggers appear to be very well hidden.

When you tell me you are moving to a specific location, unless you tell me otherwise, I am going to assume you take the straightest path possible (barring known trigger stones). If this happens to take you across a trigger stone -- sorry.

Encounter post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7209356&postcount=207) updated.
Rhivshar starts off this encounter.

MCerberus
2009-10-31, 11:03 AM
Rhivshar

With nothing blocking him from his first target, Rhiv rushes forward and brings his axe down on the kobold on his right.

Move action then charge in straight line over to h4. Assuming I don't get goo'd
[roll0]
[roll1]

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-31, 01:10 PM
You find yourself safe from darts as you move past the line of fire of both the first and second suit of armor. But then, just before you reach your target, a dart zips past you! Luckily the momentum from your charge seems to benefit you as the dart misses you. Unfortunately, this distracts you enough to be unable to connect with your attack on the kobold.

15 vs AC, which means that the dart misses you ...
And your attack misses also.

Aeran, you are up next.

Hashmir
2009-10-31, 05:51 PM
Determined to stop the traps that were shooting at his teammates, Aeran swooped out of the doorway to get a better angle of vision. As he ducked behind a coffin, he took note of the kobolds across the hall.

Minor: Mark C4 as Quarry
Move: Walk to D13
Standard: [roll0]

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-31, 06:19 PM
The triggers must be hidden exceptionally well. Despite knowing where to look, on the floor, you simply cannot make out their location.

[hr]

Sadir takes the helm next.

Robek
2009-10-31, 06:29 PM
Sadir moves like a slow mist to reach the dastardly reptiles. He steps behind the kobold and hes slices it with his sword.

Swiftcurrent to B4. Wolf pack tactics to shift to C3, then [roll0][roll1]

GalaGalaxia
2009-10-31, 09:15 PM
As you swing your sword, the kobold quickly shifts away, causing your sword to simply cut through the air. The kobold was already on his way to help his comrade, the kobold previously marked by Rhivshar. The last one follows up with a charge. As a mob, they strike simultaneously.

1: 21 vs AC, 11 damage
2: 18 vs AC, 8 damage
3: 22 vs AC, 7 damage

Nosse is next.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-11-01, 10:24 AM
Nosse, shifting into his wild shape as he goes, bounds forward, intending to eviscerate the kobolds in short order.

Moving to G5. If I don't get hit by the statues, I'll use Darting Bite on the kobolds at G4 and H5.

Wisdom v Reflex [roll0] [roll1]
Wisdom v Reflex [roll2] [roll3]

If either attack hits I get to shift 3 squares, so I'll move to f4 so I can flank that kobold with our draconic friend

GalaGalaxia
2009-11-01, 03:08 PM
As you bound across the floor, you hear the clicking sound of a trap being activated. A dart comes zipping just past your shoulder. Filled with adrenaline from the close encounter, your furious attacks on the kobolds both connect.

10 vs AC ... Yeah, that's not going to hit anyone. Both attacks are successful. The critical hit bloodies your target.

Glick, still immobilized from stepping on the trap stone previously, finds that a new dart is hurtling towards him.

The trap attacks at the beginning of your turn: 28 vs AC (with cover) ... Sorry, rolled a critical hit. You take 8 damage and are again immobilized (end of your next turn)

Unless Glick has something that will allow him to slide himself ... it is now Rhivshar's turn.

MCerberus
2009-11-01, 04:49 PM
Rhivshar

Taken aback by the kobold attack, Rhivshar staggers for a bit before lunging forward at the kobold being flanked by Nosse. Barreling through the kobold, he swings his axe around at another.

g4 kobold primary, h5 secondary. If I hit the first attack, shifting to g5. Also could use some healing ASAP >.>

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

GalaGalaxia
2009-11-01, 05:11 PM
Your axe nearly cleaves both kobolds in twain. One drops dead from the blow. The other still stands, badly wounded.

[hr]

Awaiting Rhivshar's move/minor actions.

Hashmir
2009-11-01, 05:37 PM
Homing in on the wounded kobold, Aeran moves down the middle of the hallway and fires.

Move: Walk to F8
Minor: Hunter's Quarry G4
Standard:

Twin Strike

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]

MCerberus
2009-11-01, 08:10 PM
Using the last of the momentum from cleaving through the last kobold, Rhivshar shifts back to a better position and unleashes his breath attack on the two that stand.

Shift to f5 (this uses my move action, was given a free shift via attack earlier). Origin of attack g4.

[roll0] vs Reflex
[roll1] vs Reflex
[roll2]

GalaGalaxia
2009-11-01, 09:08 PM
Both kobolds are struck by the icy shards created by your breath weapon. Even as they shiver, Aeran comes moving up, trying to take advantage of their vulnerable situation.

I'm letting Aeran's turn stand, since the actions remain perfectly valid.

As Aeran moves up adjacent to one of the previously known trigger plates, another dart comes at him, rapidly.

27 vs AC (with cover), 6 damage and you are immobilized (end of your next turn)

Perhaps the distraction of the dart was too much to handle ... as the two arrows miss their targets.

[hr]

Sadir, what do you have in mind?

Robek
2009-11-01, 09:19 PM
Sadir walks to where the kobolds are standing, before yelling at Rhivshar "Comrade! Strike true against this fiendish kobold, and don't lose hope from your injuries! Kill it before it can kill you!"

Move to G3. (Commander's strike) Rhivshar makes a basic melee attack against the kobold with +4 damage and (Inspiring word) spends a healing surge and gains an additional [roll0] health.

MCerberus
2009-11-01, 10:03 PM
Looking back at Sadir briefly, Rhivshar lunges at the kobold with renewed vigor.

[roll0]
[roll1]
Up to 16 HP after the healing word. I'm assuming the healing word came after the attack.

GalaGalaxia
2009-11-02, 12:38 AM
Whatever was still holding the kobold together ... it is now severed by the force of your axe.

The kobold is dead! ... and very much so!

The remaining kobold makes an evasive move to escape.

Shift first, then double move along the right wall all the way to the bottom.

Up next is Nosse.

Hashmir
2009-11-02, 12:49 AM
Watching the fight from his stationary position, Aeran notices the distinct lack of darts flying at the kobold as he dashes down the hall. Turning his head, he shouts to his comrades.

"The wall! There are no traps near the wall!"

Rettu Skcollob
2009-11-03, 07:22 PM
Sorry just a brief post. Will try to follow the Kobold as close as possible, and get into a position where I can charge him with Grasping Claws. My speed is 7.
[roll0] v reflex
[roll1] and slowed until end of next turn on hit

GalaGalaxia
2009-11-03, 08:04 PM
Despite following the kobold's footsteps very precisely, you are startled to find a dart zipping its way towards you from across the room. Did the kobold not just step on that very same stone? Sure he did! The kobolds must simply be too light to trigger the traps themselves. Best kill him before he leads you into more traps!

As you leap towards the kobold, your attack strikes him and he seems to slow for a moment.

The dart trap misses you (rolled a natural 1). Your attack, however, hits the kobold.

Glick, just as another dart came towards you a few moments ago, another one is launched towards you just as you prepare to move. Luckily, this one misses you, and you feel momentarily freed from your restraints.

16 vs AC, which is a miss. You are still immobilized until the end of this turn, but will be able to act as normal again next turn, provided the trap does not again immobilize you.

Rhivshar's turn is next.

MCerberus
2009-11-03, 08:27 PM
Rhivshar

Seeing the dart fly past Glick's head, Rhiv decides to help him break the chain of the constant danger of immobilization. Rushing past Aeran, Rhivshar jumps over the dangerous area before barreling his shoulder into Glick.

Charging at Glick ending up at e10. Jumping as part of the move, auto-success (1 square from a running start, that's a DC 5). Bull rushing.

[roll0] vs Glick's Fort

Hashmir
2009-11-03, 08:40 PM
I'm about to step out, so I'll get this out of the way before I do.

Minor: Quarry last Kobold
Standard:

Twin Strike

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]

GalaGalaxia
2009-11-03, 08:54 PM
Just as Aeran prepares to shoot his arrows, another dart comes flying and strikes him in the shoulder.

19 vs AC, 6 damage and immobilized again

Your arrows strike true, however, and the last remaining kobold drops dead!

[hr]

End of encounter!

MCerberus
2009-11-03, 10:11 PM
Rhivshar

After the last kobold falls, Rhiv goes over to his immobilized teammate and drags him off of the trap square. Axe in hand he walks to the kobold bodies nearer to the altar, making sure to avoid the tile that almost got him hit. When the fingers are collected, Rhiv leans against the wall while the others get their ducks in a row.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-11-03, 10:19 PM
After shredding the kobold as it falls to the ground, Nosse bites into the creature and shakes it vigorously as the last of it's life leaves it. Blood blood blood oh yes rip and tear RIP AND TEAR THE TASTE YES BLOOD YES notmoving notmoving new enemy killkillkillkill He releases his jaw-grip on the corpse, as it smacks wetly against the adjacent wall, and turns, looking for a new foe. more blood killkill... And stops himself, as he sees it is his ally, come to collect the corpse and the finger it contains. With a conscious effort, he reluctantly shifts back to his humanoid form, the iron taste of blood still in his mouth, staining his hands and face. "Ngh."

Hashmir
2009-11-03, 10:30 PM
As he was dragged off of the trapped floor panel, Aeran took the opportunity to make a bit of light conversation.

"So, I found a trap. Might wanna avoid that. Anyway, just drop me off here."

Waiting for the feeling to return to his legs, he set about carving another notch in his mask before the group moved on.

MCerberus
2009-11-03, 10:52 PM
Rhivshar

In another show of how much he approves of Aeran's penchant for being weird, Rhiv drops the elf before Aeran recovers fully. In doing this, he catches the sight of Nosse ensuring the kill. With something of an approving nod, he casually remarks, "Save it. We're after a highblood, remember."

Securing his... damn it, he forgot to get that strap fixed... keeping his axe by his side, Rhiv starts to unwind from the battle.

"Just think of what the 'lord' will think when we drops its head on his floor."

Rettu Skcollob
2009-11-04, 01:11 AM
Nosse grunts, and taking his quarterstaff, pushes at the ground in front of him as he rejoins his companions, checking for any triggers lest he accidentally suffer an arrow to the side. "I hope that these creatures' will put up more of a fight later, that was disappointing." This job is even more fun than I thought... I should have tried this earlier.

Jesse Drake
2009-11-04, 09:56 AM
Glick stands up and dusts himself off. "Man... that got tough. Remind me not to step on traps again." He says casually, as if that's possible. "Okay, well, I'm game for carrying on."

GalaGalaxia
2009-11-05, 02:27 PM
The large stone door to the north opens with a loud grinding noise. On the other side of the door, a hallway turns sharply to the right. A set of stairs descend into what appears to be another room similar in size to the one you just left. You hear cheerful chatter coming from somewhere in the room.

If you speak draconic:
Some kobold: Skull-skull!
Other kobold: Skull-skull!

Suddenly, the room grows silent, and faint whispers can be heard (by anyone with a 15 or higher passive Perception). The noise from opening the door must have alerted them to your presence. You must act quickly!

GalaGalaxia
2009-11-05, 02:29 PM
Encounter — Inside Kobold Hall (E3)!
Skull-skull!

|24|Drake|F9|Dead!
|24|Drake|G9|Dead!
|24|Rhivshar|F9|
|17|Kobold M|E10|Dead!
|17|Kobold M|E10|Dead!
|17|Kobold M|L9|Dead!
|17|Kobold M|K9|Dead!
|16|Aeran|J12|
|16|Sadir|H9|
|*|Glick|K9|
|10|Nosse|F10|
|9|Kobold S|G10|Dead!
|9|Kobold S|L8|Dead![/table]
* Glick was delaying ...

Battlemap:

GalaGalaxia
2009-11-05, 03:57 PM
At first look, this chamber appears to having once been a tomb. Right now, however, it looks closer to what you might call a playground.

Four stone coffins lie here, similar to those you just encountered, with a sludge-filled pit between them. A familiar scent spreads through the room, presumably from the green-glowing pit.

On the other end of the room is a pair of wooden double doors. Flanking the double doors are two raised platforms, both 10 feet above the floor. Two kobolds stand on each platform. One kobold holds a sludge-drenched stone tied to a long rope that is secured in the ceiling.

As you enter the chamber, one of the kobolds points at you. One kobold on each platform (marked "S") carries a sling, and reaches into a pouch for a stone to load it with.

Kobold M
Nature DC15Kobold minion
Nature DC20Powers: Spear, Javelin, Shifty, Trap sense
Nature DC25Resistances: none

Encounter post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7259900&postcount=246) updated.
Rhivshar starts us off ...

MCerberus
2009-11-05, 06:51 PM
Rhivshar

Rushing past Glick, Rhivshar hustles toward the nearest ledge the kobolds are cowering on. Not being able to hit them from ground, Rhivshar takes cover at the bottom of the wall before he can climb up.

Double move to e11, assuming nothing weird happens.

GalaGalaxia
2009-11-05, 07:14 PM
As you walk along the wall, carefully remembering the scattered traps from the previous room, you have some concerns at first. Then, moving more confidently towards the wall ... when suddenly ... !

... you reach the far side of the room, safely.

Encounter post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7259900&postcount=246) updated.
Sadir's turn next.

Robek
2009-11-05, 10:11 PM
Sadir follows behind Rhivshar, but doesn't make it quite as far.

Double move to E15.