PDA

View Full Version : Fable!

Ahab
2009-10-12, 06:49 PM
I love the Fable games (despite the sequel's shortcomings) and I am interested in running a game in the world of Albion, with all of the games' magic and monsters. However, if someone else has already taken on the task of creating this homebrew world I'd be very happy, as it would save me loads of time creating it. Have any of you come across or heard of a previously made Fable (regardless of which game) design?

Rainbownaga
2009-10-12, 07:57 PM
I love the Fable games (despite the sequel's shortcomings) and I am interested in running a game in the world of Albion, with all of the games' magic and monsters. However, if someone else has already taken on the task of creating this homebrew world I'd be very happy, as it would save me loads of time creating it. Have any of you come across or heard of a previously made Fable (regardless of which game) design?

Is there really that much consistancy and distinctiveness to warrant it? I haven't played the second game long, but the entire setting and many of the mechanics were very different, particularly with casting.

It doesn't seem really that hard to convert the game over; trolls are basically just giants with an increased propensity to throw stones (they're even called hill- and stone- if memory serves) and those annoying short things could be replaced with gnomes (small, tough and annoying).

Real Sorceror
2009-10-12, 08:10 PM
You're in luck, buddy. Just for lulz I stated up some Hobbs, three kinds of Balvarines, the Kraken, and some other stuff. I'll post it late tonight or tomorrow morning.

I took a card from 4th edition and gave some of them Bloodied abilities to imitate the Balvarine's ability to immediately jump away when it takes too much damage. I think I might have done a troll or two.

UPDATE: Heres what I have, posted below. Feel free to check my math, as I was lazy with a few things. Hopefully this at least gives you a place to start. :smallwink:

Real Sorceror
2009-10-13, 09:33 AM
Hob (CR 1/4)
Small Humanoid (Goblin)
Alignment: Usually CE Languages: Hob
Initiative: +1 Senses: Darkvision
HP: 1d8+1 (6)
AC: 14 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +2 natural)
Fort +3 Ref +3 Will +0
Speed: 30 ft.
Immunity: None
Resist: None
Attack Bonus: +5 melee or +3 ranged
Morningstar: 1d6+1
Skills: Perception +2, Stealth +5
Feats: Alertness
Str 12 (+1), Con 12 (+1), Dex 12 (+1), Int 8 (-1), Wis 10 (+0), Cha 6 (-2)
Kidnappin': Hobbs "reproduce" by stealing human children and transforming them into Hobbs. The exact process is unknown due to conflicting bedtime stories, but is believed to take anywhere from a day to less than an hour. Once successfully transformed, the child loses all memory of their former life and will attack even family members.

Big Hob (1/2)
Medium Humanoid (Goblin)
Initiative: +1 Senses: Darkvision
HP: 3d8+6 (21)
AC: 16 (+1 Dex, +3 natural, +2 leather armor)
Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +1
Resist: None
Attack Bonus: +3 melee
Battlehammer: 1d8+3/x3
Skills: Perception +2, Stealth +5
Feats: Great Fortitude, Toughness
Str 14 (+2), Con 14 (+2), Dex 12 (+1), Int 8 (-1), Wis 10 (+0), Cha 6 (-2)

Hob Mage (CR 1)
Small Humanoid (Goblin)
Initiative: +4 Senses: Darkvision, Low-Light Vision
HP: 2d8+2 (10)
AC: 14 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +2 natural)
Fort +3 Ref +3 Will +2
Resist: Spells 19
Attack Bonus: +7 melee or +2 ranged
Staff: 1d6+7/19-20 Longbow: 2d6/x3
Skills: Arcana +11, Perception +10
Feats: Combat Casting
Str 10 (+0), Con 12 (+1), Dex 12 (+1), Int 8 (-1), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 11 (+0)
Spellcasting: At will – Orb of Force, Orb of Electricity, Summon Undead I

Real Sorceror
2009-10-13, 09:40 AM
Balverine (CR 3 - 4)
Medium Monstrous Humanoid
Alignment: Always CE Languages: None
Initiative: +6 Senses: Darkvision, Low-Light, Scent
HP: 3d8+7 (20) Bloodied: 10 (see Quick Escape)
AC: 16 (+2 Dex, +4 natural)
Fort +8 Ref +5 Will +2
Speed: 40 ft.
Resist: Damage Reduction 10/silver or piercing
Attack Bonus: +7 melee
Bite: 1d6+2 or 2 Claws: 1d6+2
Skills: Acrobatics + 5, Perception +1, Stealth +6, Survival +2
Feats: Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Stealthy, Track, Weapon Focus (bite)
Str 15 (+2), Con 16 (+3), Dex 15 (+2), Int 10 (+0), Wis 11 (+0), Cha 8 (-1)
Curse of Balvorn (Su):*Any humanoid or giant hit by a balverine’s bite attack must succeed on a DC 14 Fortitude save or transform into a balvorine by nightfall.
Incredible Leap (Ex): Balvorines ignore the maximum distance a creature of their height can jump, and are always considered to be making a running jump.
Quick Escape (Ex): When reduced to half their full hit points, a balvorine may take an immediate action to leap away or straight up. This movement does not provoke an attack of opportunity. If its movement would take it into an area that provides cover or concealment, such as a tree, it may also immediately make a Stealth check to hide. Balverines rarely decide to flee, and will usually leap down again once their opponent relaxes or becomes distracted.
Skills:**A balverine gains a +4 racial bonus on*Survival*checks when tracking by scent.

White Balverine (CR 9)
Large Monstrous Humanoid (Shapechanger)
Alignment: Always CE Languages: None
Initiative: +4 Senses: Darkvision, Low-Light, Scent
HP: 10d10+20 plus 6d8+30 (132 hp) Bloodied: 66 (See Summon Pack)
AC: 19 (-1 size, +4 Dex, +6 natural)
Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +11
Speed: 50 ft.
Resist: Damage Reduction 15/silver
Attack Bonus: +25 melee
Bite: 1d8+5/19-20 and 2 Claws: 1d8+13/19-20
Skills: Acrobatics + 14, Perception +13, Stealth +12, Survival +5
Feats: Alertness, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (bite), Improved Critical (claw), Improved Natural Armor, Improved Natural Attack (claw), Iron Will, Power Attack, Run, Stealthy, Track, Weapon Focus (claw), Weapon Specialization (claw)
Str 32 (+11), Con 20 (+5), Dex 18 (+4), Int 10 (+0), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 12 (+1)
Alternate Form (Su):*A white balverine can assume its original human form indefinitely, usually to lure unsuspecting prey to its liar.
Curse of Balvorn (Su):*Any humanoid or giant hit by a white balvorine’s bite attack must succeed on a DC 20 Fortitude save or transform into a balvorine by nightfall. Creatures with 10 HD or more are instead transformed in white balverines.
Incredible Leap (Ex): White balverines ignore the maximum distance a creature of their height can jump, and are always considered to be making a running jump.
Summon Pack (Ex): When a white balvorine reaches half its maximum hit points, it can take an immediate action to call its lesser kin. This howl can be heard for a mile or more. Within 1d6 rounds, 1d4+1 normal balvorines arrive and begin attacking evey non-balvorine in the area.
A white balvorine can use this ability again when it reaches a quarter of its maximum hit points. The balvorines arrive and attack even if the white balvorine has already been slain.
Skills:**A white balverine gains a +4 racial bonus on*Survival*checks when tracking by scent.

Real Sorceror
2009-10-13, 09:45 AM
Kraken (CR 18 or higher)
Colossal Aberrant Beast
Alignment: Usually NE Languages: Aquan
HP: 40d10+600 (804 hp)
Initiative: +8 Senses: Darkvision, Low-Light, Scent
AC: 40 (-1 size, +14 Dex, +17 natural)
Fort +28 Ref +12 Will +15
Speed: 80 ft. Swim
SQ: DR 20/ epic, Fast Healing 10, SR 25, Acid resistance 20
Attack Bonus: +25 melee
Bite: 1d12+25/19-20 or 4 Tentacles: 1d10+13/19-20
Skills: Acrobatics +51, Perception +54, Stealth +55, Survival +52
Feats: Alertness, Blind Fight, Combat Expertise, Great Fortitude, Improved Critical (tentacle), Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (tentacle), Improved Trip, Iron Will, Toughness
Str 44 (+17), Con 38 (+14), Dex 10 (+0), Int 21 (+5), Wis 20 (+5), Cha 20 (+5)
Laser! (Su): Once every 1d4 rounds, a kraken can fire its special breath weapon, a 120 ft. line of acid. The beam deals 20d10 damage, half of which is acid damage and the other half is pure energy damage.
A kraken can sustain this attack for 2 additional rounds, but adds that time to the number of rounds it must wait to use it breath weapon again.
Improved Grab (Ex):*To use this ability, the kraken must hit with an arm or tentacle attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict
Constrict (Ex):*A kraken deals automatic arm or tentacle damage with a successful grapple check.
Skills:*A kraken has a +8 racial bonus on any*Swim*check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a*Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Ahab
2009-10-13, 10:21 AM
Wow, these are great. Any suggestions on converting the strength/skill/will system?

Maldraugedhen
2009-10-13, 10:42 AM
How about...

Have the separate XP pools for Strength, Skill, and Will. If somebody finishes a combat using only melee attacks, give them full Strength. If they use some ranged or finesse-y abilities, give some Skill along with some XP for whatever else they used. Then have class levels be what the character purchases with their XP pools.

I'm not sure how multiclassing works in 4.0--haven't read the books yet--but assuming you can multiclass as much as you like, then you could just have them buy class levels and use the existing classes. It'd work fine for 3.5.

Alternatively, you could have them buy class features, but those might be harder to fit into the three archetypes evenly and might make for stickier leveling.

In the example table below, a 6 indicates 100% of that pool type of EXP being required to take a class level in that class. A 1 indicates 1/6th.

{table=head]Class|Strength|Skill|Will

Barbarian|
6|
0|

Bard|
1|
3|

Cleric|
1|
0|

Druid|
1|
1|

Fighter|
6|
0|

Monk|
3|
2|

Paladin|
4|
0|

Ranger|
2|
3|

Rogue|
0|
6|

Sorc/Wiz|
0|
0|
6[/table]

If you want to drop the class system entirely and make a straight up point buy system like Fable does, well, you'll need some kind of basic starting Hero class. Wouldn't be too hard to find one on here. Once you've got that, have everybody roll up as 1st level, then have them buy Toughness, Physique, Brutal Styles, etc., and just define what each does.

For example, buying a point of toughness adds a hit die. Buying a point of Physique adds 2 to melee damage. Buying a point of Brutal Styles increases BAB for melee or gives feats or something.

Don't really know what direction you want to go in, but here's a few options.

sigurd
2009-10-13, 12:40 PM
These look interesting. Any idea about challenge levels?

S

FoE
2009-10-13, 12:50 PM
(despite the sequel's shortcomings)

The sequel's shortcomings? :smallconfused:

Real Sorceror
2009-10-14, 01:13 AM
These look interesting. Any idea about challenge levels?

S
The Hobbs are pretty much pushovers by themselves. For the most part they play like Goblins. CR 1/4 and maybe CR 2 with a mage and a posse.
The base Balvarine isn't that bad as long as you have a piercing or silver weapon, so maybe CR 4? But a lot of times they appear in pairs or whole packs, so maybe a 6 or higher.
The White Balverine is pretty badass, especially since it automatically summons minions and has DR 15/silver. Plus it can shapechange. Its at least an 8-10.
The Kraken is obviously around CR 18 or higher since non-epic characters will have trouble with its DR and SR.

Dienekes
2009-10-14, 09:24 AM
Don't forget to allow farting to make everyone happy

Cheap joke aside, it would be interesting to see if you can make skill systems with different rp rolls such as flirt, intimidate, command, extort, ect.

Ahab
2009-10-14, 09:25 AM
Don't forget to allow farting to make everyone happy

In the sequel it now makes them find you funny... unless you fail the attempt, which means you crap your pants.

Dienekes
2009-10-14, 09:27 AM
In the sequel it now makes them find you funny... unless you fail the attempt, which means you crap your pants.

Ehh, it's been awhile. I just remember farting and everyone liking me. And crapping myself more times then I care to reiterate.

Revan Ordo
2009-10-14, 10:26 AM
How about some CRs for these creatures.

Real Sorceror
2009-10-14, 12:50 PM
How about some CRs for these creatures.
Done. I added in some guesstimate CRs next to their names.

Revan Ordo
2009-10-14, 02:49 PM
Real Sorcerer,

Looks good, great job!