PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Aura question

holywhippet
2009-10-13, 02:04 AM
Do understand the glossary in the monster manual correctly? Monsters are immune to the aura they produce themself, but aura's from monsters of the same type can still affect them? For example, two chillborn zombies standing side by side will affect each other with their cold aura but take no damage because it equals their cold resistance. On the flipside, two grey oozes next to each other will effect each other with their stench aura.

Is that right?

Not Five
2009-10-13, 02:29 AM
I believe that is correct.

I would houserule the gray ooze thing, but that's just me.

Kurald Galain
2009-10-13, 03:39 AM
I believe that should be read as that monsters are immune to the aura produced by their type of monster. So all Lavaeater Pyrogoats are immune to the aura of all other Lavaeater Pyrogoats, but not to whatever other auras may be lying around.

Master_Rahl22
2009-10-13, 09:35 AM
After a quick search through the MM, the only creatures that have auras that don't say "enemies in the aura" or "allies in the aura" either do things that aren't big deals, like one that makes bright light dim and dim light darkness, or are immune to their own aura like Phoenix or Chillborn Zombie, due to having resists to the type of damage they deal. I don't see the Grey Ooze so I'm not familiar with its aura, but it's not unreasonable to make them immune to auras produced by other Grey Oozes. Of course, it may be that it was on purpose that they're affected by the auras of other oozes so that you have to use caution when there are more than one, or to reward the players for using forced movement to get them within each other's aura.