PDA

View Full Version : Ginkgo Biloba... I finally got it!

Gilthans
2009-10-13, 06:36 AM
Forever I've been puzzled by Blackwing's prophecy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html). What did Ginkgo Billboa (misspelled, no less) have to do with anything? What does it even mean? Google said it was a plant. I remember looking for an answer in the "jokes you didn't get" thread and getting none.

And then! I was browsing through a pharmacy website I use for buying my medicine, when suddenly I notice a certain drug on "popular items"...

"Gingko Bilboa extension. Treats male sexual dysfunctions resulting from blood flow issues, increases sexual desire and pleasure."

This explains SO much. :smallbiggrin:

Weimann
2009-10-13, 06:54 AM
I still don't get it.

I mean, why would Blackwing need that kind of help? I always thought it was a herb to help your memory, that he could feed to V so that s/he'd remember him more.

DemonSlayer
2009-10-13, 07:03 AM
It is said to do both, actually, and a lot more stuff beside that. The memory enhancement seems like the most logical explanation, though...

Mordokai
2009-10-13, 07:09 AM
It is said to do both, actually, and a lot more stuff beside that. The memory enhancement seems like the most logical explanation, though...

That is what they taught us at school. In fact, the sexual dsyfunction is new to me. Seems like one of those online only medications.

In fact, I seem to remember some theories that Blackwing needed ginko biloba for V. You know, to remember his name?

paddyfool
2009-10-13, 07:11 AM
It's impossible to diagnose what Blackwing needed it for, since Ginkgo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginkgo_biloba#Medicinal_uses), like so many herbal supplements, gets put forward as a treatment for a bewildering variety of conditions (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-ginkgo.html). It's most commonly, however, touted as a cognitive enhancer (particularly to stave off memory loss in old age), although the evidence for this is inconclusive (http://www.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab003120.html), or as a treatment for erectile disfunction. My strange old Judo teacher used to eat a leaf every morning, and claimed it helped keep him young, but I never dared ask about the specifics of what it did for him.

Gilthans
2009-10-13, 07:15 AM
It actually fits well. As a memory enhancer, it isn't very funny, and I don't think it will have any impact on the plot.
But its the last panel, which means gags are abound (especially considering the beginning of the last panel). Something serious wouldn't fit, and memory enhancement isn't funny (to remember V's name is pretty weak).

However, if he asked the oracle what he should do to fix his sexual issues (and that a raven even has any), is actually pretty hilarious :smallbiggrin:
(putting aside the over-analysis I just laid out, of course)

Belkster11
2009-10-13, 07:16 AM
I think the joke was Blackwing was asking the Oracle: "How can I get my master to remember me?" and the Oracle just replied like he did.

It was a joke, folks. ;)

Darakonis
2009-10-13, 08:59 AM
I always thought the joke was simply the spelling.

The correct spelling is ginkgo biloba.

Ginkgo bilboa (the way The Giant spelled it) seems like a joke on Bilbo Baggins (not the first time he made a Lord of the Rings joke).

DukeGod
2009-10-13, 09:51 AM
so,it is basically the blue ones with a "V"?

Nerd-o-rama
2009-10-13, 10:00 AM
...the joke is that it's a memory enhancer.

...the joke is that he wanted to get V to remember he existed.

Until literally a month or two ago, that joke was the only purpose of Blackwing's existence.

How can you not have gotten this? How can you continue not to be getting this?

dps
2009-10-13, 01:39 PM
I always thought the joke was simply the spelling.

The correct spelling is ginkgo biloba.

Ginkgo bilboa (the way The Giant spelled it) seems like a joke on Bilbo Baggins (not the first time he made a Lord of the Rings joke).

I thought that it was a Rocky reference.

Raging Gene Ray
2009-10-13, 01:50 PM
Until literally a month or two ago, that joke was the only purpose of Blackwing's existence.

You forgot the part about getting turned into a pincushion by bandits, trying to eat lizard V, and to show that even with Alertness, V's spot check isn't any better than the rest of the party's.

King of Nowhere
2009-10-13, 02:01 PM
I too always tought the question was something like "how can I get V to remember me?"; I still think so.
The misspelling may just be a misspelling. I too keep calling it ginkgo bilboa, it comes natural to me.
About the properties of the plant, some years ago someone had the idea of forming an antidoping commission for chess, and did plenty of dumb rules the chessplayers used as jokes for months (they considered doping playing while drunk; I saw a few people playing chess while drunk, but I never noticed any benefit from it...). The ginkgo was about the only thing that wasn't forbidden, and among all the forbidden substances it was probably the only one who could have had some effect.

rewinn
2009-10-13, 03:01 PM
Forever I've been puzzled by Blackwing's prophecy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html). What did Ginkgo Billboa (misspelled, no less) have to do with anything? What does it even mean? Google said it was a plant. I remember looking for an answer in the "jokes you didn't get" thread and getting none.

And then! I was browsing through a pharmacy website I use for buying my medicine, when suddenly I notice a certain drug on "popular items"...

"Gingko Bilboa extension. Treats male sexual dysfunctions resulting from blood flow issues, increases sexual desire and pleasure."

This explains SO much. :smallbiggrin:
It's possible this is a hint at Blackwing's sexual ambiguity (... has there EVER been a clue?)

But more likely, the question is, "How can I get V to wise up!"

Bayar
2009-10-13, 03:12 PM
Blackwing says "Caw caw caw caw, caw caw caw ?" .

We should figure out the proper translation...

daggaz
2009-10-13, 03:12 PM
...the joke is that it's a memory enhancer.

...the joke is that he wanted to get V to remember he existed.

How can you not have gotten this? How can you continue not to be getting this?

yeah this, pretty much. Go figure tho, its the internet afterall...

Darakonis
2009-10-13, 04:41 PM
I thought that it was a Rocky reference.
Hah, nice... Rocky Bilboa, or Bilbo Balboa? ;)

ThePhantasm
2009-10-18, 11:57 PM
I thought it was a reference to the Geico Gecko.

Ok I'm not serious I didn't really think that.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-19, 01:40 AM
It's just a herb that helps jog your memory?:smallconfused: That's kind of lame.:smallamused:

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-19, 06:08 AM
You forgot the part about getting turned into a pincushion by bandits, trying to eat lizard V, and to show that even with Alertness, V's spot check isn't any better than the rest of the party's.

And there was the part when Blackwing scarpered in the middle of the Azure City siege.

ericgrau
2009-10-22, 02:08 PM
I thought the joke was that Ginkgo Biloba is good for such a wide variety of ailments, and that the bird was asking for anything at all. Like the Raven had some minor miscellaneous physical complaint.

The actual method of V remembering Blackwing was something entirely different, so I doubt that's what the oracle meant.

BatRobin
2009-10-22, 02:25 PM
It's just a herb that helps jog your memory?:smallconfused: That's kind of lame.:smallamused:

Do you read the comic? That was a frakin' hilarious joke. If you do read other strips.

Lycan 01
2009-10-22, 02:33 PM
I always assumed Blackwing was asking for ways to help V remember his name. I lol'ed when I originally read it, in fact... :smalltongue:

BatRobin
2009-10-22, 02:52 PM
I always assumed Blackwing was asking for ways to help V remember his name. I lol'ed when I originally read it, in fact... :smalltongue:

I thought that's it too!