PDA

View Full Version : i think i know how Belkar can gain a level

Itous
2009-10-13, 12:35 PM
i think i know how belkar can gain a level for for the love of god correct me if i am wrong.

i will su mit up in 4 words

Dwarf, Cleric, Greater Restoration.

now i do not know how much time has passed since belkar had his level drained maybe there is a refrence to it somewhere but to where exactly i do not know, i will post up the spell shortly. as long as the drain has occoured within 1 week per caster level

we now take a look a durakon's level he cast ressurection which is a 7th level cleric spell

7 x 2 = total level (14)

14 weeks is the time frame needed for the spell to be cast and seeing as its typically 4 weeks to a month (but remember some months have shorter or longer days then others we can safely assume a month would be 30 days)

14 / 4 = 3.5

so providing 3 and a half months hasn't past since the level drain, it might be possible for belkar to get his level back

but as i have said i do not know how much time has passed since belkars level drain. so hopefully someone out there with greater intelligence than my self should hopefully work it out.

heres the spell curtosy of the SRD

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/restorationGreater.htm

Restoration, Greater
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Clr 7
Components: V, S, XP
Casting Time: 10 minutes

This spell functions like lesser restoration, except that it dispels all negative levels afflicting the healed creature. This effect also reverses level drains by a force or creature, restoring the creature to the highest level it had previously attained. The drained levels are restored only if the time since the creature lost the level is no more than one week per caster level.

Greater restoration also dispels all magical effects penalizing the creature’s abilities, cures all temporary ability damage, and restores all points permanently drained from all ability scores. It also eliminates fatigue and exhaustion, and removes all forms of insanity, confusion, and similar mental effects. Greater restoration does not restore levels or Constitution points lost due to death.

XP Cost
500 XP.

Optimystik
2009-10-13, 01:04 PM
We don't know if Belkar actually lost that level from being drained by the wight. If you succeed on your fortitude save, the negative level goes away with no lasting effect, and fort is a high save for both Barbarians and Rangers.

So I think you might be jumping the gun a little...

Raging Gene Ray
2009-10-13, 01:25 PM
So I think you might be jumping the gun a little...

Not to mention it's the kind of strict rules-related stuff that Rich would prefer to happen off panel to make room for plot and jokes.

After V saved him from Miko, Belkar referred to Durkon as a sucker who will heal him and raise him if needed for free. He probably would have gotten Durkon to remove it shortly after they reunited.

Itous
2009-10-13, 04:11 PM
well i belive the idea of the joke was within the same strip

after killing someone or something he started jumping up and down screaming either "new hit points / skill points for belkar" then he got touched and it sort of killed his whole mood, also please remember that the fort save maybe high for both barbarian and ranger but he does have a multi class so it might not be AS high as as we think ALSO that anything in his CON score modifier is void as his save is charisma based and we all know for a fact Belkar isn't the most charismatic person in the team. i am about to post the strip it happened in (if i can find it) to show you what i mean about what happened

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0515.html

i belive the pun of "never mind" at the end is refering to the fact he has now lost a level, also a few pages later Hayley did the typicall "Nnnnnnnh!" we have come to associate with a level loss such as when Vassuvious was dueling Xykon and he did a maximised energy drain, vassuvious was uneffected but the soul splices were effected

(i appologies if i cannot spell vassuvious correctly i am Dyslexic, sue me, lol)

Thanatosia
2009-10-13, 04:27 PM
also please remember that the fort save maybe high for both barbarian and ranger but he does have a multi class so it might not be AS high as as we think
Actualy, would'nt it be higher then it would be for a pure Barb or Ranger since he gets the +2 Fort bonus at lv1 twice?

TheWerdna
2009-10-13, 08:27 PM
Actualy, would'nt it be higher then it would be for a pure Barb or Ranger since he gets the +2 Fort bonus at lv1 twice?

that would be correct.

It realy depends on if he got a good rol or not, and at his level he should have a save of about +3 form barbarian and +6 or + 7 from ranger so thtas about +9 or +10 not includeing his con.

i don't exactly remeber what the save DC was, but ta that bonus he would easly have made it unless he rolled realy low

Tar Palantir
2009-10-13, 09:24 PM

after killing someone or something he started jumping up and down screaming either "new hit points / skill points for belkar" then he got touched and it sort of killed his whole mood, also please remember that the fort save maybe high for both barbarian and ranger but he does have a multi class so it might not be AS high as as we think ALSO that anything in his CON score modifier is void as his save is charisma based and we all know for a fact Belkar isn't the most charismatic person in the team. i am about to post the strip it happened in (if i can find it) to show you what i mean about what happened

i belive the pun of "never mind" at the end is refering to the fact he has now lost a level, also a few pages later Hayley did the typicall "Nnnnnnnh!" we have come to associate with a level loss such as when Vassuvious was dueling Xykon and he did a maximised energy drain, vassuvious was uneffected but the soul splices were effected

(i appologies if i cannot spell vassuvious correctly i am Dyslexic, sue me, lol)

A Charisma based save is one in which the save DC of the effect is partially determined by the Charisma of the creature generating the effect. Belkar would still add his Constitution bonus to his Fortitude save, in addition to any other applicable modifiers, and his own abysmal Charisma would not be a factor.

factotum
2009-10-14, 01:27 AM
after killing someone or something he started jumping up and down screaming either "new hit points / skill points for belkar" then he got touched and it sort of killed his whole mood

That's because you don't get to make the Fort save to take off the negative level until 24 hours after the drain. Therefore, at the point in time we're talking about, Belkar didn't know if he'd just permanently lost that level or not.

Optimystik
2009-10-14, 07:45 AM

You're misreading the Wight's (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/wight.htm) ability. The line "The save DC is Charisma-based" refers to the WIGHT'S Charisma, not Belkar's. Meaning that if you somehow lower a Wight's Charisma before he uses the ability, it will be easier to overcome, and vice-versa.

1) You can't lose a level from a level draining attack until at least 24 hours later, so it's impossible for him to have lost one that quickly, joke or no joke. Whether the drain became permanent later or not, we don't know.
2) The Negative Level would keep him from getting any benefit from the new class level he would have added; hence the "never mind."
3) As others have pointed out, his multiclass combination would have made his fort save quite strong even disregarding his CON score.
4) You can copy and paste "Vaarsuvius" from this post if you like.

Killer Angel
2009-10-14, 07:51 AM

lol, you've just made my day. :smallbiggrin:
(Or at least, the next ten minutes. :smalltongue:)

Itous
2009-10-14, 01:16 PM
You're misreading the Wight's (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/wight.htm) ability. The line "The save DC is Charisma-based" refers to the WIGHT'S Charisma, not Belkar's. Meaning that if you somehow lower a Wight's Charisma before he uses the ability, it will be easier to overcome, and vice-versa.

1) You can't lose a level from a level draining attack until at least 24 hours later, so it's impossible for him to have lost one that quickly, joke or no joke. Whether the drain became permanent later or not, we don't know.
2) The Negative Level would keep him from getting any benefit from the new class level he would have added; hence the "never mind."
3) As others have pointed out, his multiclass combination would have made his fort save quite strong even disregarding his CON score.

My Mistake you guys are right i have been re-reading the whole time, wow monsters from the MM make SO much more sense now, there i was thinking I had to make a fort save using my charisma not CON, LMFAO wow i feel stupid, but hey at least now i have achived knowledge and made someones day or 10 minutes :p right killer angel but as Vaarsuvius has demonstrated "alot can happen in 10 minutes"

thanks guys you've pulled my ass out of the fire

Asta Kask
2009-10-14, 01:36 PM
i think i know how belkar can gain a level for for the love of god correct me if i am wrong.

I think he would much rather just kill Elan.

Bibliomancer
2009-10-14, 02:28 PM
I think he would much rather just kill Elan.

Sadly, he might have to resort to this, given that the other friend that he just killed appears to be of rather low level (somehow).

He might get role-playing xp for protecting Mr. Scruffy, though.