PDA

View Full Version : Destroy the World with Explosive Runes!

Lycanthromancer
2009-10-13, 01:32 PM
Seriously.

1. Go paint a rune on the moon large enough to be read by everyone on the surface.

2. Cast explosive runes.

3. Apply Explosive Spell.

4. Kill everything capable of seeing the moon.

5. Loot!

6. ???

7. Profit!

Kylarra
2009-10-13, 01:34 PM
Seriously.

1. Go paint a rune on the moon large enough to be read by everyone on the surface.

2. Cast explosive runes.

5. Loot!

6. ???

7. Profit!Moon weighs more than 10lbs.
:smalltongue:

Target: One touched object weighing no more than 10 lb.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/explosiverunes.htm

Lycanthromancer
2009-10-13, 01:35 PM
Then a really large piece of tissue wrapping paper, draped over the moon. Since gravity on the moon is quite light...

[edit] And anyway, the moon can't weigh much at all; it floats up there like a balloon.

Ravens_cry
2009-10-13, 01:38 PM
Or get a gigantic piece of paper into planetary orbit and it doesn't 'weigh' anything.
Pounds as commonly used is not a unit of mass.

sonofzeal
2009-10-13, 01:42 PM
Now if they'd said 10 kg, we'd be in trouble. Unlike the Imperial system, the Metric system doesn't magically stop working in space.... :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Boci
2009-10-13, 01:44 PM
Now if they'd said 10 kg, we'd be in trouble. Unlike the Imperial system, the Metric system doesn't magically stop working in space.... :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Really? Im pretty sure kg are a form of measuring wieght which is just the force you push down with, i.e. still reliant on gravity.

sonofzeal
2009-10-13, 01:46 PM
Really? Im pretty sure kg are a form of measuring wieght which is just the force you push down with, i.e. still reliant on gravity.
Nope, it's a unit of mass, not weight. Common misconception.

Ravens_cry
2009-10-13, 01:46 PM
A kilogram is a SI unit of mass. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilogram)
ninjas!

charl
2009-10-13, 01:48 PM

I like you, young man. :smallbiggrin:

Assuming you are a young man.

Although it should be pointed out that the US system is actually defined in SI. A pound is defined as 453.59237 g. It is federal law, even. So the US system does work in space (otherwise NASA would be even more fracked), and it can be assumed that DnD being a US product is using that definition.

So while I applaud you for flinging faeces at the US customary units (it certainly deserves it), you aren't technically correct in this regard.

Mongoose87
2009-10-13, 01:50 PM
But, the moon does have some gravity, and if affected by the gravity of bodies around it. Do we know if that is 10 pounds or more?

Ravens_cry
2009-10-13, 01:54 PM
Since the moon itself is in free fall, orbiting the Earth (or fantasy planet of choice), I would say it weighs nothing, in pounds and other units of weight that is.

FirebirdFlying
2009-10-13, 01:55 PM
…But nobody can see the moon.

charl
2009-10-13, 01:56 PM
The planet itself could be said to not have any weight. It is in freefall around the sun.

Ravens_cry
2009-10-13, 02:03 PM
…But nobody can see the moon.
In that case, just get an immense sheets of paper into planetary orbit. Or make it, using minor creation. The vacuum of space, a whole bunch of chickens and a consumptive feild would help boost the CL.

Paulus
2009-10-13, 02:04 PM
I once had the idea of casting explosive runes on a piece of colorful paper every day for years, folding each paper into origami cranes, and storing them in a magical container. Then opening sed container when all hope was lost, setting flight to all the cranes around the BBEG and reading the first crane myelf.

Godskook
2009-10-13, 02:18 PM
I once had the idea of casting explosive runes on a piece of colorful paper every day for years, folding each paper into origami cranes, and storing them in a magical container. Then opening sed container when all hope was lost, setting flight to all the cranes around the BBEG and reading the first crane myelf.

I can't decide if this makes you a horrible person or a wonderful one. Its almost as if you're Black Mage from Nuklear Power using Hadokens powered with 'love'.

Paulus
2009-10-13, 02:30 PM
I can't decide if this makes you a horrible person or a wonderful one. Its almost as if you're Black Mage from Nuklear Power using Hadokens powered with 'love'.

I also considered origami butterflies.

lsfreak
2009-10-13, 02:39 PM
In that case, just get an immense sheets of paper into planetary orbit. Or make it, using minor creation. The vacuum of space, a whole bunch of chickens and a consumptive feild would help boost the CL.

The problem being that, with the Spot rules, you won't be able to see anything that far away. You need a Spot check of roughly 119 million (which you can half or quarter if you really try, but still...), because there's no rules on penalties for shining brightly, being larger than 30x30, and so on. Really it's because the Spot rules are based on 10-foot increments rather than something that makes sense.

valadil
2009-10-13, 02:43 PM
I also considered origami butterflies.

I think a deck of cards would be pretty awesome too.

Kylarra
2009-10-13, 02:43 PM
I think a deck of cards would be pretty awesome too.I used to use dice.

Paulus
2009-10-13, 02:50 PM
I think a deck of cards would be pretty awesome too.

True hilarity comes from Modern d20, one word:phonebook.

"That's funny, all the numbers in here are 555- explosive runes-"

Talk about long distance.

Lycanthromancer
2009-10-13, 02:54 PM
I used to use dice.

Well, assuming a standard set of fuzzy dice (a hexahedron), you'd have 6 surfaces to put runes on.

In the case of an icosahedron, that'd be 20 runes per die.

I'm sure you can guess what a zocchihedron would be...

Kylarra
2009-10-13, 02:55 PM
Well, assuming a standard set of fuzzy dice (a hexahedron), you'd have 6 surfaces to put runes on. In the case of an icosahedron, that'd be 20 runes per die.

I'm sure you can guess what a zocchihedron would be...Well the real fun comes from gambling with them. Since you can set them to not explode for your teammates, if some newbie tries to join your game, or steals your dice...

Lycanthromancer
2009-10-13, 02:57 PM
Well the real fun comes from gambling with them. Since you can set them to not explode for your teammates, if some newbie tries to join your game, or steals your dice...

It would certainly lend credence to critical fumbles = death (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CriticalExistenceFailure).

daggaz
2009-10-13, 03:05 PM

silly playgrounders, physics is for rabbits, not for kids.

pounds, like kilograms, are measurements of mass. The bathroom scale has simply been calibrated to take into account the acceleration of mass by the earths gravitational field. If you really want to talk about how much something weighs, you measure it in Newtons.

The imperial system, while monumentally clumsy and problematic, does not stop working in zero G.

Myou
2009-10-13, 03:16 PM

You're thinking of Newtons.

Ninja'd.

The problem being that, with the Spot rules, you won't be able to see anything that far away. You need a Spot check of roughly 119 million (which you can half or quarter if you really try, but still...), because there's no rules on penalties for shining brightly, being larger than 30x30, and so on. Really it's because the Spot rules are based on 10-foot increments rather than something that makes sense.

There are rules for unlimited size increases actually, in the Draconomicon I think.

ericgrau
2009-10-13, 04:04 PM
You need to be next to the runes and close enough to read them. It's implied that being next to the runes is necessary for reading them, and that the no save force damage is a result of being next to the explosion not merely from seeing it.

Pounds can be either force or mass. Sometimes they are distinguished in calculations as lbf or lbm. Which sucks because it makes certain calculations annoyingly complicated. Plus you can accurately say that a 6 pound object weighs 1 pound on the moon (and is still 6 pounds of material while on the moon). Kilograms are mass only and newtons are force only.

Lycanthromancer
2009-10-13, 04:17 PM
You need to be next to the runes and close enough to read them. It's implied that being next to the runes is necessary for reading them, and that the no save force damage is a result of being next to the explosion not merely from seeing it.Well, the spell says that you get no save if you're close enough to read the runes. You could read runes on the moon if they're large enough, so...

Sure, it's probably not RAI, but it's RAW to a tee.

TelemontTanthul
2009-10-13, 05:29 PM
I think the only problem is getting TO the moon.

And I also think there is a range minimum or something for damage, plus I don't think EVERYONE is going to look at the moon at the same time.

Other than that, it sounds like fun. :D

Siosilvar
2009-10-13, 05:39 PM
Seriously.

2. Cast explosive runes.

5. Loot!

6. ???

7. Profit!

Explosive Runes has an area of effect of 10 feet in radius...
Anyone next to the runes (close enough to read them) takes the full damage with no saving throw; any other creature within 10 feet of the runes is entitled to a Reflex save for half damage. The object on which the runes were written also takes full damage (no saving throw).

Ravens_cry
2009-10-13, 05:44 PM
Exactly, 'close enough to read them'. That's a question of size AND distence.

Glimbur
2009-10-13, 06:15 PM
The Imperial unit of mass is the Slug. It is the mass that accelerates by 1 ft/s^2 when one pound of force is exerted on it. In real people units it's 14.5939 kg.

On topic, how many times do we need to Widen and/or Enlarge the Explosive Runes spell before we can reach Earth with the explosion?

Ravens_cry
2009-10-13, 06:23 PM
RAW is they only have to be close enough to read them. Which is from the planets surface if you go for the Chairface Chippendale route. Myou mentioned in post #26 extended spot checks rules. Can anyone confirm that?

ericgrau
2009-10-13, 06:36 PM
Well, the spell says that you get no save if you're close enough to read the runes. You could read runes on the moon if they're large enough, so...

RAW says "next to the runes". You can't pick one part of the text and ignore another.

Godskook
2009-10-13, 06:38 PM
There are rules for unlimited size increases actually, in the Draconomicon I think.

I couldn't find anything about spot uses in the Draconomicon rules, and Colossal+ doesn't actually increase size, iirc, anyway, just size bonuses for a few different things related to dragons in particular.

Ravens_cry
2009-10-13, 06:39 PM
RAW says "next to the runes".
RAW also further refines that statement that by saying, "close enough to read."
I a, guessing this was, RAI, to allow, say, a giant explosive runes on a large paper tapestry or something.
Otherwise, it would have just said, 'next to the runes'.

ericgrau
2009-10-13, 06:56 PM
It seems to imply that they are one in the same. Therefore the writing must be small so that you get up close to read it. Or else you'd need to satisfy both conditions given not either or. That and the explosion has a 10 foot radius that can be dodged if you're not at the epicenter. That leaves a fairly narrow window between "epicenter" and "close enough to read but not far enough away to doge". But now we're back in RAMS (rules as make sense). RAW you gotta be next to it, which is also close enough to read it, and that's that.

Prime32
2009-10-14, 02:35 AM
*Two men in black cloaks with red clouds on them show up*

Mr. Lycanthromancer? Our boss wants to talk to you.

Myrmex
2009-10-14, 02:45 AM
Well, the spell says that you get no save if you're close enough to read the runes. You could read runes on the moon if they're large enough, so...

Nah; there's no way you're making the DC 119,000,000 spot check to see the moon, much less whatever some dingus put on it.

Dixieboy
2009-10-14, 04:24 AM

We still lack the neccasary spotchecks.

hamishspence
2009-10-14, 04:56 AM
What about a Symbol spell- such as Symbol of Insanity? Do they have the same limitations?

Manga Shoggoth
2009-10-14, 08:10 AM
What about a Symbol spell- such as Symbol of Insanity? Do they have the same limitations?

It would bring a whole old meaning to the word Lunatic...

hamishspence
2009-10-14, 08:15 AM
4th ed Dragon Annual article "Wish upon a star" has powers with effects like

"The moon swims into view overhead. It has eyes and tentacles"

I can imagine someone reacting to a Symbol of Insanity spell on the moon in a similar way: "Eyes! The moon has eyes!"

Kylarra
2009-10-14, 08:25 AM
What about a Symbol spell- such as Symbol of Insanity? Do they have the same limitations?Symbols have a range of 60'

Regardless of the trigger method or methods chosen, a creature more than 60 feet from a symbol of death can’t trigger it (even if it meets one or more of the triggering conditions, such as reading the rune).

and all the subsequent symbols reference symbol of death.

hamishspence
2009-10-14, 08:33 AM
would have to be an epic spell- maybe with a custom "if you can see it, it triggers" Spellcraft DC modifying factor.

Kylarra
2009-10-14, 08:47 AM
would have to be an epic spell- maybe with a custom "if you can see it, it triggers" Spellcraft DC modifying factor.
Except you'd also have to give it a bonus +blahblahblah to spot checks to see it, which would probably cancel out the mitigation.