PDA

View Full Version : Tremorsense???

gallagher
2009-10-13, 01:36 PM
so how good is tremorsense, and how can i get it without going through horizon walker for 6 levels? are there any feats that act similarly? any advice towards this?

as far as i know, tremorsense is good when your enemy is touching the ground, so flying guys can break it. however, when in a cave, things climbing on the ceiling are also subject to it.

zagan
2009-10-13, 01:43 PM
Well I don't really know how good it is in game, but I have a way for you to gain it for only 20 000gp. You need the Antennae Graft it's an Illithid graft in the Fiend Follio (p212) that give you Tremorsense for 60ft. The hardest part is probably finding someone to graft it either an Illithid or a Fleshwarper that can bypass the need to be one.

gallagher
2009-10-13, 02:05 PM
Well I don't really know how good it is in game, but I have a way for you to gain it for only 20 000gp. You need the Antennae Graft it's an Illithid graft in the Fiend Follio (p212) that give you Tremorsense for 60ft. The hardest part is probably finding someone to graft it either an Illithid or a Fleshwarper that can bypass the need to be one.how do grafts work? i have heard of them but never ran across them

zagan
2009-10-13, 02:08 PM
It's nearly exactly like a magic item, exept that you can't take it off and it doesn't take a body slot. Some graft replace an organ like an arm but it's rare.
In that case you just gain a pair of antennae on your head.

Person_Man
2009-10-13, 02:29 PM
There's a very cheap magic item in the Compendium that gives you See Invisibility once per day. So it's really not worth investing any significant gp in Tremorsense.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-10-13, 02:36 PM
Isn't earth sense a feat you cn take from RoS that gives tremor sense?

Kelpstrand
2009-10-13, 02:39 PM
The reason you want Tremorsense is not because you are facing invisible foes.

It's if you intend to be moving through walls.

Without tremorsense, you suck at moving through walls, with it, you are awesome.

So it's mostly for people using Earthglide.

If you don't have Earthglide, don't worry about it.

Fluffles
2009-10-13, 02:39 PM
Insectile Template (Inherited) from SS gets you 60' Tremor Sense. As does some things in Races of Stone. I think Thri-Kreen get it also.

JeenLeen
2009-10-13, 02:55 PM
Tremorsense is a arcane spell for sorcerers or wizards, level 3 IIRC, from Spell Compedium. Personal only, but if you're an arcane caster, it's a cheap method of getting it when you need it.

Tavar
2009-10-13, 04:11 PM
It also makes sneak attacks/sudden strikes much harder to achieve, as it's harder hide from(at least, before they printed Darkstalker it was).

Darrin
2009-10-13, 04:15 PM
There's a very cheap magic item in the Compendium that gives you See Invisibility once per day. So it's really not worth investing any significant gp in Tremorsense.

Are you referring to the Scout's Headband (MIC p. 132, 3400 GP)? Yes, see invisibility is 2 charges, but it's also the cheapest true seeing object in the game. Or did you mean the Corsair's Eyepatch (MIC p. 90, 3000 GP)? See invisibility 3/day, but only for 1 round. Dragon Mask (MIC p. 94, 4000 GP) is 2/day, but up to 5 minutes per use.

There's also Boots of Tremorsense (MIC p. 79, 5000 GP), which works 3/day for 5 rounds.

Blindsight/Blindsense is probably better than tremorsense, since it doesn't rely on creatures being on the ground. The Blindfold of True Darkness (MIC p. 75, 9000 GP) gives you continuous blindsight 30'. However, your eyes are actually covered so you don't have any visual sense beyond that.

Gem of Glitterdepth (MIC p. 104, 4500 GP) also gives blindsense 30' (along with normal vision), but it's a relic power, so you'd have to be a gnome and spend a feat on True Believer.

Eldariel
2009-10-13, 04:21 PM
Tremorsense is very key in one case: In case you're burrowing, it's pretty much the only one of the Core senses that does anything. As such, if you plan on spending extended amounts of time inside ground, it's a must.

Mindsight and Lifesense work through ground IIRC, but they cannot detect objects, non-living creatures or such. Tremorsense is of course limited too; it cannot detect incorporeals and it's quite weak on the surface due to flight. It's incredible in tunnels though.

Malfunctioned
2009-10-13, 04:27 PM
Blindsense is probably better than tremorsense, since it doesn't rely on creatures being on the ground. The Blindfold of True Darkness (MIC p. 75, 9000 GP) gives you continuous blindsense 30'. However, your eyes are actually covered so you don't have any visual sense beyond that.

This.

Though since I don't have MIC I use the A&EG version, blindsense out to 60ft and makes you immune to gaze attacks and any other effects that rely on sight, including all visual illusions.

Eldariel
2009-10-13, 04:30 PM
This.

Though since I don't have MIC I use the A&EG version, blindsense out to 60ft and makes you immune to gaze attacks and any other effects that rely on sight, including all visual illusions.

It's Blindsight (in both printings), which is much better; allows pinpointing creatures and rocks anything without Darkstalker. Doesn't work through obstacles though making it useless for the purposes you'd want Tremorsense.

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-13, 05:10 PM
There's a Soulmeld that grants a limited form of it (may need a Chakra Bind, Totemist Soulmeld). Improved Familiar (summon a Spider or Scorpion) grants it (effectively). There's a feat in Sandstorm that grants it.