PDA

View Full Version : Iji: Wanton violence solves everything, right?

Worira
2009-10-13, 04:34 PM
So, I'm coming up on the end of my first playthrough of Iji (http://www.remar.se/daniel/iji.php). It is great and excellent, and those who have played it should discuss it. Those who haven't should play it immediately, then discuss it. Discuss.

Comet
2009-10-13, 04:41 PM
One of the best. I've finished it about five times now. The story is awesome. The choice of becoming either a killing machine or a pacifist ninja-ghost is awesome. The music is awesome. Kicking aliens in the face is awesome.

I have discussed

Tavar
2009-10-13, 04:44 PM
One of the best games I've ever played. Everything just meshed together really well. Oh, and there are at least two old thread on this, one here and one here. I seem to remember more, but those were the first one's I found.

TheLogman
2009-10-13, 06:04 PM
I played it on just regular as well as Pacifist mode.

I was considering getting all the posters, but after number 3-4 they became a little to strange and obnoxious for me to get.

Tavar
2009-10-13, 06:44 PM
If you search on youtube, there's a series of video's that show how to get all of them. Then you can just play the individual levels to find them all, and it's really worth it.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-13, 08:24 PM
If you want the posters to try to get to sector Z, don't bother. Just watch DeceasedCrab's Let's play of Iji. *Totally isn't bitter about wasted hours looking for them*

Juhn
2009-10-14, 03:11 PM
I've played through it about 1.5 times. First time was a pacifist run, second time was a "get the highest number of kills possible because finishing with 0 kills didn't end up having a material reward while 300(?)+ does", but then I reformatted and I have yet to download it again.

Tavar
2009-10-14, 03:14 PM
Actually, last time I played it, getting 0 kills did gt you a special weapon: the ninja that helps you gives it too you.

Anyway, all you youngings with your "material rewards". In my first playthroughs, we did it for the challenge! Through 6 feet of snow! Both Ways!

Juhn
2009-10-14, 03:21 PM
Well, yes, you do get the ridiculous weapon. I didn't end up using it much, though, and I meant there were no material rewards after the game is beaten. I still consider it worth doing, though. Nothing quite like playing through something you could more-or-less accurately call a "shooter" without ever shooting anyone.

shadow_archmagi
2009-10-14, 05:07 PM
I could never figure out how to avoid getting kills, so my pacifist runs ultimately failed.

Tavar
2009-10-14, 05:20 PM
I could never figure out how to avoid getting kills, so my pacifist runs ultimately failed.

Well, there really isn't much of a trick: boost health, crack, and str. Never attack anyone, and try to avoid firing(accidental kills still count. Also, remember that if the enemy fires and kills someone, thier nano is still fair game.

Dorizzit
2009-10-14, 05:59 PM
I absolutely love Iji so far. I've gotten up to Sector 7 in my getting-a-feel-for-the-game run, which shall remain unfinished, and I'm about to start Sector 8 in my new pacifist run. Really, one of the best games I've ever played.

Worira
2009-10-14, 06:18 PM
I'm about to start my second run, and I'm trying to decide between a secret-finding run and a pacifist run.

There are a couple of tricks to a pacifism run, actually. The most out-of-the way one is avoiding the second fight with Asha.

UglyPanda
2009-10-15, 08:28 AM
I played this game a while back.

I got to the final boss on a normal run and got my ass handed to me. Then I started over on pacifist and the situation was reversed. The Massacre is awesome.

Pacifist is essentially the masochism run. You stand in front of enemies and they kill themselves with their own weapons. Sure you take craploads of damage, but it's more fun that way. Too bad you can't beat ultimortal that way (Because you can't avoid the final Asha fight).

Tavar
2009-10-15, 09:32 AM
Yeah, I had a lot of trouble with the last boss too, until I found the trick(using the reflector). After that, it became much easier.

Corlindale
2009-10-15, 09:43 AM
Iji is a fantastic game. I completed it twice on normal - the first time I upgraded weapons and cracking and killed everything, the second time I did the full pacifist run.

I recently got back to the game, and finished my Extreme run (non-pacifist, focusing mostly on Tasen and Atk). I couldn't beat Asha the second time here, so I just reset my field and did the workaround - only felt a little like cheating. The final boss was easier than I expected, reconfiguring the field to max Health and max Assimilate just before the fight helps alot.

I still need to do an Extreme pacifist run, a secrets run (haven't really found any of them) and complete my Glass Cannon run on normal (never upgrade health, but fully upgrade Tasen, Komato, Crack and Attack ASAP - fun, but frustrating:smallsmile:)

EDIT: Oh, and I don't really feel masochistic enough to even try Ultimortal. Also, I imagine the lack of ability to upgrade anything besides health will take a lot of what I find fun about the game away.

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-15, 10:14 AM
Just started playing this last night, after seeing this thread. I've currently just beat Asha for the second time on both the saves I'm running - one with max strength/health/assimilate (which is actually really dull - I get hit but can't die and everything else gets hit but can) and a guns/cracking one, which is much more interesting.

Kupi
2009-10-15, 10:31 AM
EDIT: Oh, and I don't really feel masochistic enough to even try Ultimortal. Also, I imagine the lack of ability to upgrade anything besides health will take a lot of what I find fun about the game away.

Ultimortal is basically just a pacifist run where you can't Crack or Kick your way through better paths. By the end of the game, your dinky little shotgun is fundamentally worthless (and the time limits per sector prevent you from using it against the regular enemies anyhow), so it all boils down to charging past the enemies as quickly as you can.

Even the boss battles aren't that tough except for one..

Oh god. The rematch with Asha in Sector X. There's no way around it and the only way to damage him is brute strength. If you ever do consider an Ultimortal run, spare yourself the mental anguish I went through and open the other shutter first. There is no worse feeling in all of the Iji experience than killing Asha on Ultimortal only to get pinned down by an Annihilator and lose the run in the travel section.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-15, 07:42 PM
Well, there really isn't much of a trick: boost health, crack, and str. Never attack anyone, and try to avoid firing(accidental kills still count. Also, remember that if the enemy fires and kills someone, thier nano is still fair game.

Well, you do need Tasen weaponry, Komato weaponry and crack maxed out for a full pacafist run. Reason being You need the weapon you get from combining the Velocitor and MBFP Devastator (or whatever the level 10 weapons are called) to skip the Asha rematch. If you were to nitpick that is. Which I need to. >.>

Also, having gotten the Null Driver again, and used the "Log translator", I've got to say. That is the only way to play Iji. :smalltongue:

Dorizzit
2009-10-15, 07:46 PM
Not necessarily (pacifist run spoilers):

The log nearby the core lets you respec yourself, and all necessary upgrade stations and weapons are nearby. When I got to that segment, I restatted myself so that I could destroy the core, then restatted again and returned to my former power levels.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-15, 08:23 PM
Not necessarily (pacifist run spoilers):

The log nearby the core lets you respec yourself, and all necessary upgrade stations and weapons are nearby. When I got to that segment, I restatted myself so that I could destroy the core, then restatted again and returned to my former power levels.

*Facepalm*

I really should have noticed that. :smallredface:

Juhn
2009-10-15, 08:37 PM
...I had no idea you could do that. I just ended up grinding my Komato and Tasen as well. That was not an easy thing to do, mind.

Dorizzit
2009-10-15, 08:38 PM
Yeah, it makes things so much easier. Plus, getting the Massacre after a perfect pacifist run makes it all worth it.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-15, 10:24 PM
Just wondering.. But what do people consider "spoiler material" about Iji?
Technically the Komato would be spoilerish, but you do have the weapon skill..

What I mean is, if I were talking to someone who hasn't played it, would you not refer to The massacre, Null Driver, Banna Gun, Log translator and Sector Z?

Tavar
2009-10-15, 10:27 PM
I'd mention section Z only in that it exists: there are a couple mentions of it in log books, and I might even talk about how you need to get all the posters to access it. I wouldn't mention anything else, except that exploration/unusual ways of doing something is rewarded.

shadow_archmagi
2009-10-16, 06:32 AM
Yeah, I *knew* there had to be some trick to avoiding the boss fights. "Kill that elite, kill that assassin, kill that super-tank kill the final boss oh wait that's three kills"

Dorizzit
2009-10-16, 07:10 AM
Right.

Avoid Krotera by keeping the truce with Vatielka

Avoid Iosa by Going into the deep sector (The lift is through the teleporter in the final Tasen hideout), triggering the assassin ambush, and getting out alive. Anasaksie will ally with you and kill Iosa after you defeat her.

Avoid Asha the second time by constructing combining both level ten weapons and destroying the core, which bypasses his fight area.

A victory in the final boss fight does not result in a kill. I think that's everyone.

Makensha
2009-10-18, 08:36 AM
On the OP's advice I started playing Iji. Fun. Question though, what is the max level, and are levels revisitable?

Dorizzit
2009-10-18, 08:41 AM
Not certain about Max Levels.

It is possible to regain all spent points after you find the right log book. It is done by crouching, pressing "C" four times, pressing "Z" once, then hacking your nanofield. Unfortunately...it also eliminates all your upgrades and brings you down to one hit point, as well as dropping all your weapons. It's important to only do it nearby a cluster of Cyborg Stations.

Tavar
2009-10-18, 10:18 AM
You can only gain one level per stage, so there is a built in limit.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-18, 10:20 AM
On the OP's advice I started playing Iji. Fun. Question though, what is the max level, and are levels revisitable?

Like going from sector 7 to 6? No, you can't.

The max level is like... 50 IIRC.

Tavar
2009-10-18, 10:52 AM
Like going from sector 7 to 6? No, you can't.

The max level is like... 50 IIRC.

I believe the max level is 10, but the amount of points awarded for each level depends on dificulty. I think the most is 5, and the least is 1.

Technically, it's not revisiting levels, but if you beat the game once, you can go and play each level individually. I think the option is in the Extra's menu.

Edit: okay, knowlege fail. Kupi has it right.

Kupi
2009-10-18, 11:11 AM
The number of levels you can go up per sector is limited by the difficulty. You can gain five levels per sector on Normal, four on Hard, three on Extreme and Ultimortal (but Ultimortal only lets you boost Health). There are also ten collectable supercharges (one per sector) that give you a free level, no strings attached.

I feel like Belkar at the end of #12 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0012.html).

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-20, 09:04 AM
The number of levels you can go up per sector is limited by the difficulty. You can gain five levels per sector on Normal, four on Hard, three on Extreme and Ultimortal (but Ultimortal only lets you boost Health). There are also ten collectable supercharges (one per sector) that give you a free level, no strings attached.

I feel like Belkar at the end of #12 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0012.html).

Heh, yeah. :smalltongue:

Also, link has mega spoilers... but...

Wat. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQmFB89ottA)

Ultimortal/Mr. Remar confirms it's actually there.
Someone should try looking at it with the scrambler on.

Worira
2009-10-20, 05:34 PM
I'm deliberately avoiding any info about the Null Driver until I get it myself.

Anyway, I'm doing a Hard Pacifist run, while getting posters in Single Sector.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-20, 08:23 PM
....Having beaten the game again, does anyone else think that General Tor just made things worse by comitting suicide at the end?

Tavar
2009-10-20, 11:06 PM
I don't know. I can see why he did it, and I'm not sure how he could really have helped things.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-20, 11:08 PM
I don't know. I can see why he did it, and I'm not sure how he could really have helped things.

So can I. It just really irks me, as it means that if (when) the Komato would start looking for another race to genocide, it leaves... Anasakie to oppose it. Which would be a lot less likely to have any effect then Tor or Iosa. :/

Makensha
2009-10-21, 06:32 PM
Finally beat the game. Dang, talk about getting sucked into the atmosphere. Not going to play it again (I just don't play games twice) but that was a blast.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-21, 07:53 PM
Finally beat the game. Dang, talk about getting sucked into the atmosphere. Not going to play it again (I just don't play games twice) but that was a blast.

Biiiiiiig mistake. Big.

Why would you not play games twice? It's a waste of money for games you buy.

And if you don't play Iji more then once, you miss out on huge amounts of unlockables.

Worira
2009-10-21, 11:33 PM
Yeah, I would highly recommend doing at least a pacifist and regular/berserk run.

Dorizzit
2009-10-22, 04:53 AM
I've already played through the game twice and I'm planning a secrets run now.

Makensha
2009-10-22, 06:58 PM
Biiiiiiig mistake. Big.

Why would you not play games twice? It's a waste of money for games you buy.

And if you don't play Iji more then once, you miss out on huge amounts of unlockables.

A) The game was free.

B) Unlockables bore me. I'm going to spend five hours searching for posters just so I can blah blah blah? That obviously appeals to some people, I'd rather just play a different game, unless I absolutely love it. (http://www.gamespot.com/n64/rpg/papermario/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;read-review)(And that was a long time ago. I haven't rebeat any games of late).

Dorizzit
2009-10-22, 07:52 PM
I don't think people were referring to unlockables. I think they were, instead, referring to the pacifist run, in which one avoids the destruction of fellow living beings in order to have a plot that is, in short, completely different from a violent run through. Of course, if you simply prefer to dismiss the benefits of a replay out of hand without doing any research first...eh. Your choice.

Flarowon
2009-10-22, 08:32 PM
Oh, this game is amazing. How many times have I played it? Let's count...
Normal:5
Hard:2
Extreme:1
Ultimortal:2
That's 10 playthroughs for me, and I still totally love it. Things I am proud of:
Beating Ultimortal without dying... twice.
Getting to the orbital dimension haven.
Completing two pacifist runs.
Getting the scrambler and banana gun.
Killing Tor with aforementioned banana gun.

And that's about it. I like this game way too much.:smallbiggrin:

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-22, 08:42 PM
Oh, this game is amazing. How many times have I played it? Let's count...
Normal:5
Hard:2
Extreme:1
Ultimortal:2
That's 10 playthroughs for me, and I still totally love it. Things I am proud of:
Beating Ultimortal without dying... twice.
Getting to the orbital dimension haven.
Completing two pacifist runs.
Getting the scrambler and banana gun.
Killing Tor with aforementioned banana gun.

And that's about it. I like this game way too much.:smallbiggrin:

Now, get Nano Master and Immortal. :smallwink:

A bit of advice on those to people in general.. Crack enemies for Nano Master, and don't be in a rush when you aren't under fire. Resetting your nanofield doesn't count as a crack or a fail.

For Immortal, I remember hearing that you CAN take damage, it's just <100 for the entire game.

Something I really love about Iji is the little touches. Like the computer screen that's playing hero 3D, or how Iji says "I'm sorry.." Until you do 5+ kills a sector.

Makensha
2009-10-22, 09:39 PM
I'm going to admit my fault. I'm playing the game through as pacifist.

Flarowon
2009-10-23, 10:53 AM
Now, get Nano Master and Immortal. :smallwink:

These are, in fact, the only extras I havn't unlocked.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-23, 11:18 AM
These are, in fact, the only extras I havn't unlocked.

Do so!

Then beat Sector Z again, grab the Null Driver, and go to Sector Y! :smallsmile:

Trobby
2010-01-07, 10:05 AM
Heh, yeah. :smalltongue:

Also, link has mega spoilers... but...

Wat. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQmFB89ottA)

Ultimortal/Mr. Remar confirms it's actually there.
Someone should try looking at it with the scrambler on.

...Oh...wow.

...Please tell me this still exists in version 1.5. I SO want to go there. :smallbiggrin:

...Yes, thread necromancy. What of it? :p Iji is a good enough game that it deserves to be discussed more!

Ikialev
2010-01-07, 11:22 AM
Before Roland closes the thread, I will confirm it. It's there.

dsmiles
2010-01-07, 11:37 AM
@OP: I don't know anything about Iji, but in answer to your original question...yes. In almost any video game that allows violence, the answer is yes.

Comet
2010-01-07, 11:42 AM
Before Roland closes the thread, I will confirm it. Iji is one of the best games I have ever played. That is all.

Inhuman Bot
2010-01-07, 08:11 PM
...Oh...wow.

...Please tell me this still exists in version 1.5. I SO want to go there. :smallbiggrin:

...Yes, thread necromancy. What of it? :p Iji is a good enough game that it deserves to be discussed more!

New thread then, link to this. :smalltongue:

Trobby
2010-01-07, 11:13 PM
Good plan. :3

New Thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7649792#post7649792).