PDA

View Full Version : The Sword of Truth [D&D 3.5] Setting Creation

Talking Donkey
2009-10-13, 10:12 PM
Friends, Creators, World-builders, lend me yours ears. We have before us, a large undertaking, one that no doubt will be full of peril (probably not), treachery (definitely not), and adventure (maybe). It will be long and arduous, but eventually our goal will be met. We will be considered the victors, and will be able to look back up on this moment and say, "Man am I glad that's over with".

Ok, on to a more serious note.

I have searched, sifted, googled, and guessed, but have had absolutely no luck in finding a Sword of Truth PnP RPG. Since there is not one, and it is by and far my favorite series of book (and a wonderful setting in and of itself) I have decided to do what I must to get it going. This will require a lot of work and if a few people are willing to devote a lot of time to it great. However, what I expect is several people devoting a bit of time with me tying up the loose ends.

We will need a lot.

Here is a map of the New World (http://www.nautilus.align.ru/read/gudkaind_terri/sword_of_truth_10_phantom/Map.jpg)

Base and Prestige Classes
Confessor
Dreamwalker
War Wizard
Witchs
Boundary Warden (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7177849&postcount=6)
Seer
Mord'Sith
Court Artist
D'Haren Guard
Priestess of Bones
Prophet
Shaman

Races
Mud People
D'Harans
Midlanders
Westlanders
Old Worlders
Pristenly Ungifted

Cities
Hartland
Southaven
Nicobarese
Agaden Reach
Mud People
Galea
Kelton
Tamarang
Aydindril
Peoples Palace
Tanimura
Anderith

Organizations
Central Council of the Midlands
Imperial Order
Blood of the Fold
Sisters of the Light
Sisters of the Dark

Creatures
Long Tailed Gar
Short Tailed Gar
Night Wisp
Shakura
Black Tipped Races
Ghostie Gobblies
Heart Hounds
Chimes

Other things to consider
Additive and Subtractive rather than Arcane and Divine
Rahl Bloodline and it's power.
The Boundary
Sorcerers Sand (Black and White)
Graces
The Keeper
The Creator
The Underworld
Different Wizard Orders
Difference in a Sorcerer and a Sorceress
Difference in Trained Wizards and Natural Wizards

If you can think of anything I missed, let me know so that I can add it.

Keep in mind this a work in progress.

Zeta Kai
2009-10-13, 11:09 PM
Well, I'll give you points for ambition. I'll be keeping an eye on this, & I hope to see this develop into something the lives up to your table of contents. Good luck. :smallcool:

Talking Donkey
2009-10-13, 11:19 PM
Thank you! Working on one of the classes ATM but this will not get done without a LOT of help.

Gimliggamer
2009-10-22, 02:10 PM
Friends, Creators, World-builders, lend me yours ears. We have before us, a large undertaking, one that no doubt will be full of peril (probably not), treachery (definitely not), and adventure (maybe). It will be long and arduous, but eventually our goal will be met. We will be considered the victors, and will be able to look back up on this moment and say, "Man am I glad that's over with".

Ok, on to a more serious note.

I have searched, sifted, googled, and guessed, but have had absolutely no luck in finding a Sword of Truth PnP RPG. Since there is not one, and it is by and far my favorite series of book (and a wonderful setting in and of itself) I have decided to do what I must to get it going. This will require a lot of work and if a few people are willing to devote a lot of time to it great. However, what I expect is several people devoting a bit of time with me tying up the loose ends.

We will need a lot.

Here is a map of the New World (http://www.nautilus.align.ru/read/gudkaind_terri/sword_of_truth_10_phantom/Map.jpg)

Base and Prestige Classes
Confessor
Dreamwalker
War Wizard
Witchs
Boundary Warden
Seer
Mord'Sith
Court Artist
D'Haren Guard
Priestess of Bones

Races
Mud People
D'Harans
Midlanders
Westlanders
Old Worlders

Cities
Hartland
Southaven
Nicobarese
Agaden Reach
Mud People
Galea
Kelton
Tamarang
Aydindril
Peoples Palace
Tanimura

Organizations
Central Council of the Midlands
Imperial Order
Blood of the Fold
Sisters of the Light
Sisters of the Dark

Creatures
Long Tailed Gar
Short Tailed Gar
Night Wisp

Other things to consider
Additive and Subtractive rather than Arcane and Divine
Rahl Bloodline and it's power.
The Boundary
Sorcerers Sand (Black and White)
Graces
The Keeper
The Creator
The Underworld
Different Wizard Orders
Difference in a Sorcerer and a Sorceress
Difference in Trained Wizards and Natural Wizards

If you can think of anything I missed, let me know so that I can add it.

Keep in mind this a work in progress.
fixed

I think the sisters should be a class yes?
and wer'e missing that shakura thing(tentacled thing that guards the cave with Scarlet's egg in the Wizard's first rule), dragons, the black-tipped races, the ghostie gobblies, the wolf things, and the chimes as creatures.
classes should also have: additive wizard, subtractive wizard, prophet, shaman(cleric/healer) sorcerer, sorceress,imperial order for evil, thief(rogue), hole in the world(pristinely ungifted person), and Mother Confessor. the boundary can be used as a plot hook, so that they are motivated to adventure.

Talking Donkey
2009-10-22, 08:47 PM
Those are all good points. I added in most of what you mentioned except for the following.

Sisters fo the Light/Dark, that might be a Prestige Class, but not a base class. Sorcerer would be the base class.

Dragons are already stat'd in the world. No need to redo them.

Additive Wizard and Subtractive Wizard, should probably be schools of focus, much like Enchantment or Illusion rather than actual classes. Either than or just be a base wizard with a different spell list.

Sorcerer and Sorceress should be the same as the base class for the most part.,

Imperial Order, once again this might be a a PrC, but I see it more as an organization to join/fight.

Thief, the rogue fits the bill, no need in changing the base class.

Mother Confessor, since there can only be one, just use the Confessor base class that we will be working on and apply it as a PrC maybe.

Thanks for all the information though. I'm currently working on the Boundary Warden, but I this is my first attempt at making/balancing a class and I want to get it right.

Please note, I need a lot of help. I truly believe once we get some other people in here doing a little, that more and more people will jump in.

Talking Donkey
2009-10-23, 01:41 PM
Ok, after finally getting some free time, here is the first base class I am proposing. Please critique it and offer advice and criticism.

Boundary Warden

A Boundary Warden was a heavily armed and capable individual in Westland and the Midlands, assigned to patrol the impassable boundary between Westland and the Midlands and the Midlands and D'Hara. It was rumored that if a boundary warden did not want to be seen, he could be standing on your foot and you would not be able to find him.

The boundary wardens' main job was to keep people away from the boundary, in order to keep the creatures in it weak, particularly the heart hounds. Most people did not understand what the boundary wardens did or what the boundary was. Many were afraid of the boundary, mostly older people. Many others thought they knew what was best and would go near it to poach. The boundary wardens gave them something real to be afraid of. Out of a fear of the boundary wardens, people stayed away. To a few it was a game to see if they could get close to the boundary without being caught. The boundary wardens did not expect to catch everyone and they did not need to. What they cared about was scaring enough of them away so the creatures in the boundary would not gain strength from feeding off the people.

Boundary wardens protected the people, but not by preventing them from going into the boundary. Their job was to keep most of the people away and keep the creatures in the boundary weak enough so they could not come out and get everyone else. The wardens had all seen things that had gotten loose from the boundary. As the boundary itself weakened, more and more things got loose. Although they were paid by the Westland government, the boundary wardens' allegiance was not to the government or any rule of law. Their only duty was to protect the people from the things that come out of the darkness. They considered themselves sovereign. They took orders when it did not hinder their job, to keep things friendly. Ultimately, the true Seeker was the only one whose orders they would follow, because their cause was a part of his larger cause.

Boundary Warden's have the following game statistics.
Abilities: Strength, Constitution
Alignment: Any non-evil
Hit Die: d10

The Boundary Warden's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Gather Information (Wis), Handle Animal (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge: Boundary (Int), Knowledge Geography (Int), Knowledge Local (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Boundary Warden
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Sworn Enemy, Track

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Weapon Focus

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Boundary Warden

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Weapon Specialization

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|2nd Sworn Enemy

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+5|Swift tracker

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+5|Uncanny Dodge

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+6|Improved Critical

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+6|Stubborn Mind

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+7|3rd Sworn Enemy

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+3|
+7|Improved Uncanny Dodge

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+4|
+8|Melee Weapon Mastery

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+4|
+8|Greater Weapon Focus

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+4|
+9|Evasion

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+5|
+9|4th Sworn Enemy

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+5|
+10|Hide in Plain Sight

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|Greater Weapon Specialization

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+11|Weapon Supremacy

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11|Lunging Strike

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+12|Banish, 5th Sworn Enemy[/table]

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A barbarian is proficient with
all simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, and
shields (except tower shields).

Sworn Enemy (Ex): Due to his extensive study on his chosen type of foe and training in the proper techniques for combating creatures from the Boundary, the Boundary Warden gains a +2 bonus on Intimidate, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against creatures of this type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures. Creatures that can be selected include, Devils, Demons, Undead, Aberrations, and Magical Beasts.

Track: As per the PHB pg. 101

Weapon Focus: As per the PHB pg. 102

Boundary Warden (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, a Boundary Warden knows how to use his strengths to compensate for his weaknesses. He adds his Constitution bonus to AC instead of his Dexterity, if the character’s Constitution bonus is higher. The Boundary Warden loses this bonus to his Armor Class whenever he would normally be denied his Dexterity bonus to AC. In such a situation, the Boundary Warden would still be considered flat-footed.

Weapon Specialization: As per the PHB pg. 102

Swift Tracker (Ex): Beginning at 6th level, a Boundary Warden can move at his normal speed while following tracks without taking the normal –5 penalty. He takes only a –10 penalty (instead of the normal –20) when moving at up to twice normal speed while tracking.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Starting at 7th level, a Boundary Warden gains the ability to react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. He retains his Dexterity bonus (if any, or his Constitution bonus, if it’s higher) to AC even if he is caught fl at-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity (or Constitution) bonus to AC if immobilized.

Improved Critical: As per the PHB pg. 95

Stubborn Mind (Ex): Starting at 9th level, a Boundary Warden has a mental resistance to outside influences. If a Boundary Warden with the stubborn mind ability is affected by an enchantment spell or effect and fails his saving throw, he can attempt it again 1 round later at the same DC. He gets only this one extra chance to succeed on his saving throw. This ability also works against a mind flayer’s mind blast attack.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 11th level and higher, a Boundary Warden can no longer be flanked; he can react to opponents on opposite sides of him as easily as he can react to a single attacker. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the Boundary Warden by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has Boundary Warden levels.

Melee Weapon Mastery: As per the PHBII pg. 81

Greater Weapon Focus: As per the PHB pg. 95

Evasion (Ex): At 14th level, a Boundary Warden can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save (such as a red dragon’s fiery breath or a fireball), he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the Boundary Warden is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless Boundary Warden (such as one who is unconscious or paralysed) does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): While in any sort of natural terrain, a ranger of 17th level or higher can use the Hide skill even while being observed.

Greater Weapon Specialization: As per the PHB pg. 95

Weapon Supremacy: As per the PHBII pg. 85

Lunging Strike: As per the PHBII pg. 80

Banish (Ex): At 20th level or higher when a Boundary Warden strikes an extraplanar creature of 26 Hit Dice or fewer while wielding a weapon that he has weapon focus for, he can activate the weapon to banish that creature back to its home plane (Will DC 20 negates). A creature so banished cannot return for at least 24 hours. A creature that succeeds on its save cannot be banished by person for 24 hours.
If the creature struck is of opposite alignment of the Boundary Warden, increase the DC by 2 for alignment axis the creature opposes the Boundary Warden. For example a Chaotic Evil Demon who is banished by a Lawful Good Boundary Warden must succeed a DC 24 Will save or be banished. The Boundary Warden can use this ability 3/day.

OutlawJT
2009-10-27, 01:34 AM
The problem with doing a Sword of Truth 3.5 system is that confessors are maddeningly unbalanced as a player option. On their own it's not so bad because using their ability seriously drains them for at least a round, usually several. In a group where they already have people to protect them, it could get ridiculous real fast.

Latronis
2009-10-27, 02:48 AM
Few things I'd like to discuss, bring up, give my opinion on etc:

how are you going to make a class base or prc out of a Confessor?

They have exactly one ability, and pretty much only one application of it. (not including the limited and potentially suicidal Con Dar)

Work much better as a Race. Humanoid(Screwed around with by magic subtype)

Would probably need an LA or a handful of dodgy humanoid HD too.

Before they all got wiped out you'd basically stat them out as this race with probably aristocrat levels.

And then mother confessor could simply be a title.

Alternatively a template could work too.

Then you could throw a few fighter levels on top and you have Kahlan for example.

In many ways Mord Sith are similiar. Though a class could work for this(just bear in mind training is not exactly like learning how to fight with a sword :P).

Also I don't think anybody is truly different enough to justify different races. (west\mid\dhara\oldworld though some of the wilds people have unique inherent magic) Unless you are gunna do away with the bonus feat and bonus skills human get and instead give skill bonus\bonus feat based on where they are from.

While Sisters of the Light are just sorceress' So just being an organization works fine, sisters of the dark did go through a ritual to get subtractive powers so would need some kind of unique PrC.

Also the series is basically just one big war, so every body would be basically normal npc classes or different military style classes. (Marshals, Knights, Fighters the odd ranger. The imperial order is probably more along the lines of warriors with a few barbs and maybe fighters an the like amoungest officers)

Boundary Wardens mechanically arn't all that different from rangers without spells really.

A few thieves running around no doubt.

Also im worried about the power of witches... all that inherent spellturning and time powers and whatnot, they are pretty damn OP.

But for the most part i dont think there's really much call for whole new base classes as with a few tweaks they should mostly fit into the existing base classes.

Oh which reminds me there are other practitioners of magic around too like the spelldrawing artists.

Speaking of Magic personally i think a system based on the warlock type casting would probably suit the flavour better. And that way you can define the Additive and Subtractive Invocations for those that use either\or.

Since there is also a great deal of ritual style magic involved between wizards aswell you could look into something like UA's Incantations.

Talking Donkey
2009-10-28, 11:14 AM
Very good point.

I was mostly listing things so that people knew what could be worked on. I could see the Confessor as a race (honestly that's what it is) or a template added to a race (as that might be more appropriate.)

The Mord'Sith, I feel really should be a class, but what kind of power to give it, I'm unsure. Obviously Mettle and Steadfast Determination would be likely choices.

I am getting good feedback, but deciding how to implement what is difficult.

I am thinking, for the confessor, give them a dominate person ability usable once per week, but seriously drains their CON afterward and also fatigue them. After a day the fatigue wears off and they gain Con back over the next few/several days. Once the CON is back, they can use the ability again. A nice, useful ability, but not too powerful.

Edit: Any feedback on the Boundary Warden, too powerful, too cheesy, too weak, not enough flavor? PEACH please.

Zore
2009-10-28, 08:29 PM
The problem is dominate 1/week is uh... really useless and not quite true to the novels if thats the route you are going. I would say Mindrape is a more apt spell for what confessors actually do though less controllable and with one command able to be programed in.

Cracklord
2009-10-29, 01:16 AM
I have to agree, except Mindrape lets you tamper with memories. Perhaps simply make it a unique ability. Also, remember, it is permanent, so it is somewhat overpowered. The world you are writing about is not balanced, so it might be best to try to capture the feel without balance.
I mean, the only people who are going to play this will be fans of the series anyway.

Also, permission to make the Chicken Manifest using DiceFreaks Templates?

And the Mod'Sith should be some variant of Suel Arcanamach.

Temotei
2009-10-29, 01:26 AM
Good luck with this. It's a pretty huge thing to undertake...:smallcool:

Talking Donkey
2009-10-29, 12:08 PM
By Dominate, I meant Permanent Dominate. And instead of once a week, maybe do it so that the frequency one can use it is based on Con Modifier. Not sure what would be fair.

Also, not sure what DiceFreaks template it is, and by Chicken Manifest, I assume you mean the chimes manifesting in the body of the chicken at the Mud People? Sure.

And I still need someone to tell me whether or not the Boundary Warden is balanced.:smallbiggrin:

Cracklord
2009-10-29, 10:39 PM
Also, not sure what DiceFreaks template it is, and by Chicken Manifest, I assume you mean the chimes manifesting in the body of the chicken at the Mud People? Sure.

Dicefreaks is notorious for creating theoretically balanced monsters that are unlikely to be killable, for entities such as Dukes of Hell and Archfiends. As in, CR 66 minimum.
And that was no chicken. That was evil manifest.

Also, given we are creating the entire setting from scratch, perhaps consider changing how spellcasting works. The theme doesn't really work with Sword of Truth.

Talking Donkey
2009-10-30, 06:36 AM
Dicefreaks is notorious for creating theoretically balanced monsters that are unlikely to be killable, for entities such as Dukes of Hell and Archfiends. As in, CR 66 minimum.
And that was no chicken. That was evil manifest.

Good point. I always read it as it was essentially a chicken possessed by the chimes. I knew it was powerful, but always assumed if you killed the chicken it died, but then you had to deal with a very pissed off Chime.

Also, given we are creating the entire setting from scratch, perhaps consider changing how spellcasting works. The theme doesn't really work with Sword of Truth.

I honestly don't know how to go about changing spellcasting at least to make it more in line with the series. I am open to suggestions.

Sacrifice04
2009-10-30, 12:25 PM
Hey, I am in the process of doing something similar. Im trying to put together an adventure path using the Pathfinder system that closely follows the storyline in the books. I am sort of working from the other end and expanding out rather than making a world and hammering out all the details.

So far here is what I've decided.
Confessors: for now I havent made them a playable race, as Rahl has hunted them down to near extinction. However I've decided that thier power follows along the lines of a dominate person as a touch attack 1/day. With no saving throw and a permanent duration. After using the power the confessor would be exhausted for one hour. The Mother Confessor is seemed more like a title to me and Kahlan's power was more of an exception to the normal confessors. I would not allow my players to play the/a confessor, because they tend towards an evil alignment and are clever enough to abuse the power as it is. Even if it is useable once per day.

Boundary Wardens: I stuck with the ranger class, but dropped the spellcasting and instead added some martial progression from the Book of Nine Swords.

Sword of Truth: I decided to make this a legacy weapon, but giving a bonus before the abilities are unlocked.

Gifted: Seeing as how powerful they are supposed to be and how rare they are. I went with gestalting them with a spellcasting class.

Creator/Keeper: This one seemed easy to me, they would be the only two gods in the setting. Clerics choose one to venerate and pick domains as normal.

I am trying to adjust things to fit in with the dnd/fantasy that my group is used to. Instead of a low magic world where wizards are almost fictional. Normal spellcasters are considered to have the calling for magic and lets spellcasters be more common.

As far as your Boundary Warden. Not sure what to think. I think your idea for using con modifier instead of dex is interesting, and fits the tough as nails flavor of the wardens.

Talking Donkey
2009-10-30, 12:32 PM
As far as your Boundary Warden. Not sure what to think. I think your idea for using con modifier instead of dex is interesting, and fits the tough as nails flavor of the wardens.

What are somethings you didn't like about the class?

Thanks for the feedback.

Also, I am making the confessors incase someone wants to play a different time period. Either several year before, when confessors were still prevalent, several years later when they make a comeback (maybe). This way, you don't have to follow the books (your players don't know what is coming next).

Solaris
2009-10-30, 01:26 PM
This is a bit of an aside, but I'd have thought the Pristinely Ungifted a race rather than a class. It's not something you can train to be, after all, but something you are.

Talking Donkey
2009-10-30, 01:28 PM
Yeah, some things are in the wrong places. I was think have it as a class so that any race could be one, but then I remembered... online children of the line of Rahl can be Pristinely Ungifted... I'll change that now.

Sacrifice04
2009-10-30, 02:47 PM
Confessors in general I think should be an unplayable race. Besides the brokeness of being able to dominate anyone in the setting; they also acted like authority figures, and high ranking figures. That was kind of the whole point: no one can challenge the power they had.

If you still want confessors I would change them to a charm touch attack, allow a save thats Con or Cha based and limit the duration to a week. In addition to the hour of exhaustion. I could see a humanoid hit die too, but not necessary.

On the Boundary Warden. I'm a little uneasy on the forced feats (weapon spec., imp crit, etc.). The track i cannot really comment on as i like what Pathfinder did with track and have yet to see how it works. I think you should drop the shield prof as I remember Chase having more weapons instead of a shield. I would think about a bonus to intimidate too.

Pristinely Ungifted should be a race, but not limited to the Rahl bloodline. IIRC the ungifted being born was a problem with all the wizards at the time.

My players would only be able to get a general plot line from the books as I have to change things around to suit a group of 3-5 people; not two to three individuals or groups acting concurrently. Plus I dont see being captive by Mord-Sith going over too well, capturing PC's NEVER goes well. And if they do the PC's dont have fun.

Gimliggamer
2009-10-30, 02:50 PM
you forgot Anderith in the cities.

Talking Donkey
2009-10-30, 05:35 PM
Confessors in general I think should be an unplayable race. Besides the brokeness of being able to dominate anyone in the setting; they also acted like authority figures, and high ranking figures. That was kind of the whole point: no one can challenge the power they had.
With all the feed back I am getting, I am beginning to agree, although I still need to have them stat'd as an NPC.

If you still want confessors I would change them to a charm touch attack, allow a save thats Con or Cha based and limit the duration to a week. In addition to the hour of exhaustion. I could see a humanoid hit die too, but not necessary.
The books didn't allow for saves, it just happened. Like I said, probably just as an NPC, but will still go with permanent dominate.

On the Boundary Warden. I'm a little uneasy on the forced feats (weapon spec., imp crit, etc.). The track i cannot really comment on as i like what Pathfinder did with track and have yet to see how it works. I think you should drop the shield prof as I remember Chase having more weapons instead of a shield. I would think about a bonus to intimidate too.
The feats are to "force" them to be good at combat. The still get to take feats they want, and wouldn't normally not be able to get otherwise. (Fighter only feats) I think it is a win win. What would you do instead?

I could drop the Shield Pro, but I don't wan to force a bunch of TWF/THF for melee. At least let them have the option of SaB.

I have intimidate as a Class Skill. What kind of bonus would you propose?

Pristinely Ungifted should be a race, but not limited to the Rahl bloodline. IIRC the ungifted being born was a problem with all the wizards at the time.

I know 3000 years prior to the current time, during the time of Barraccus (sp) that there were several of the Pristinely Ungifted, but by the current part of the story line, I thought... You know what, I remember all of the ones that were behind the boundary's now... nevermind. I guess it would be a race.

My players would only be able to get a general plot line from the books as I have to change things around to suit a group of 3-5 people; not two to three individuals or groups acting concurrently. Plus I dont see being captive by Mord-Sith going over too well, capturing PC's NEVER goes well. And if they do the PC's dont have fun.
True, hence why I think being able to do different timelines would be great.

Oh and Gimiliggamer, I will add Anderith. Thanks.

Master_Rahl22
2009-10-31, 01:05 PM
My initial thought is that Boundary Warden is pretty much a Ranger. I like the idea of giving them ToB maneuvers instead of magic.

I'm thinking that it's best to pick a timeline, like maybe before the war with D'Hara so there are still wizards around and it doesn't require handwaving to let players be arcane casters. I'm thinking stat out the Confessors as a race but leave them unplayable. Probably the only other race ought to be Mud People, and maybe the ones that Richard ended up the king of when he was on his way to the wizard academy with what's her name. It's been too long since I read the first few books, can't remember their names. Oh, and you can't forget those invisible guys with the two blades that they clang together and almost made Richard one of them. The Sliph would be fun to stat too.

Sacrifice04
2009-11-01, 09:37 AM
With all the feed back I am getting, I am beginning to agree, although I still need to have them stat'd as an NPC.

The books didn't allow for saves, it just happened. Like I said, probably just as an NPC, but will still go with permanent dominate.

I just gave my suggestions for a playable race. If everything worked like in the books then no one would get a save versus the gaze attack of a medusa and stuff.

The feats are to "force" them to be good at combat. The still get to take feats they want, and wouldn't normally not be able to get otherwise. (Fighter only feats) I think it is a win win. What would you do instead?

I could drop the Shield Pro, but I don't wan to force a bunch of TWF/THF for melee. At least let them have the option of SaB.

I have intimidate as a Class Skill. What kind of bonus would you propose?

Bonus on Intimidate equal to half (or third) the warden level.

@Master_Rahl Incase you are wondering the ToB stuff just replaced spellcasting for Ranger (for the Warden variant). They do not get access to manuvers(sp?) until 4th lvl (like spellcasting). They function similar to swordsages as far as recovery goes. Disiplines are Creator's Light (Desert Wind), Iron Heart, Stone Dragon, and Tiger Claw. Although I am entertaining some changes to shadow hand to make it cold based and flavoring it something related to the boundary.
The handwaving spell casters didnt seem that far of a stretch to me considering a few things. Other beings have/had the ability to do magical things (ie court artist, spiritual mud people, pattern mages[blood of the fold]). Kahlan said a group of wizards had the 'calling' for magic not gift, which IIRC means they can do magic, just not as well as gifted. Gifted while rare were born frequently enough to warrent Sisters of Light crossing into the New World to kidnap them (I dont care what reasoning they use it was kidnapping), its not a far stretch to say others with the calling could develop magical talents, and some gifted could have escaped the grasp of the sisters. But its not like people can teleport in the setting anyway.

Latronis
2009-11-06, 10:32 PM
I just gave my suggestions for a playable race. If everything worked like in the books then no one would get a save versus the gaze attack of a medusa and stuff.

But the confessor's power really was defined as an unbeatable force. I mean there was literally only the power of orden and true love as the only defense againest it. I think the most accurate representation of it would be a touch attack with a permanent dominate effect. Now i seem to recall thinking that the average recharge time for the confessors was about once a day, the more powerful confessors being able to use it more frequently with Kahlan being an extreme exception with something like a 2hr timer. (and she often used it while still fatigued from the previous use) And the extinct males having no recharge.

The Mother Confessor is a title yes, but the confessor's power was also a consideration, so the most powerful confessor of the time was generally the Mother Confessor.

The Pristinely ungifted were all descendants of the House of Rahl. (I wanna say) Alric Rahl created the bond to protect his people againest the dreamwalkers. But it needed a wizard to keep it going, so it also insured that the Lord Rahl would always have a truly gifted son, but in so doing also gave rise to the pristinely ungifted offspring. Now they were friends and family and wizards tried to fix them and over generations they married and had offspring of their own, all also pristinely ungifted. Eventually they were sent through the barrier into the old world and future ones killed at birth.

And then the old world people eventually rounded them up and put them in their own little corner of the world too.

Every pristinely ungifted person is a scion of Alric Rahl, be it Richard, his siblings or those from the Naked Empire.

Morrolan
2010-02-04, 04:30 PM
Amazing! Someone with the same ideas as me! Great minds think alike?

Several Thought:
- Shouldn't confessor and dreamwalker be templates?
- You could make the two kinds of magic work like the weave and the shadow weave?
- The boundary warden is perhaps overpowered compared to standard classes, but hey, this is about lore and flavour right?
- You've missed quite some creatures, try: http://sot.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Creatures

Besides that, need me to try and make one of these things? I'd love to help!

Arkadio
2010-09-03, 10:19 AM
really nice idea :smallsmile:

you should add Seeker as a special class (with maybe a quest to turn the blade white which if failed the seeker would eventually turn into a samuel-like creature).

For creatures you missed (that i remember) the Mriswith (and their queen), the Shadrin, the Calthrop (appeared in the 1st trip to agaden reach as a "friend" of zedd) the Screeling and the Skrin... and maybe the beast used in the sister of the dark ritual.

Confessors could be a playable race with limitations to alignment and some sort of penalty if the power is used wrongly (like the devas from D&D 4.0), if not just make them npc, Mriswith could be a class too, probably rouge with some wizard feats.

you may need to consider the wizard orders too and add baka ban/tau mana blade master as an old world class

best of luck and keep up the good work:smallbiggrin:

LibraryOgre
2010-09-04, 09:54 AM
The Mod Wonder: Closed for Thread necromancy.