PDA

View Full Version : Girardīs face

Tala Goodweed
2009-10-14, 12:39 AM
im sorry if this has already been discused, i could not find an answer while searching the forum.

Does anyone know what is that tattoo or scar on girardīs face (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html)?

thank you

kpenguin
2009-10-14, 12:51 AM
I was more concerned about his disappearing goatee, personally.

Tala Goodweed
2009-10-14, 12:53 AM

perhaps its girardīs evil twin....Drarig!

Berserk Monk
2009-10-14, 12:59 AM

Yeah, same here.

Kish
2009-10-14, 01:00 AM
im sorry if this has already been discused, i could not find an answer while searching the forum.

Does anyone know what is that tattoo or scar on girardīs face (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html)?

thank you
I don't believe it has. That's very interesting. In some strips it looks way too complicated to be a simple scar.

(And, in an aside to the other two people who have responded, way more likely to be meaningful than either Girard shaving or Rich drawing his goatee inconsistently.)

factotum
2009-10-14, 01:22 AM

You don't have shavers or razor blades where you come from, then? :smallamused:

Tass
2009-10-14, 01:33 AM
I think it is some kind of magical tatoo. It doesn't look like a scar here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0196.html)

Tala Goodweed
2009-10-14, 01:39 AM
anyone read about a magical tattoo in any d&d book? what can it do?

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-14, 01:45 AM
There are the Oaths from Origin of PCs, maybe it's one of those.

And I think we have seen another character with a tattoo on their face, just a different colour.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-14, 01:49 AM
there's a psionic tattoo that you can put one psionic power of third level or lower into.

of course Girard is an illusionist not a Psion.

David Argall
2009-10-14, 03:25 AM
Likely it is meaningless for our purposes. However, Girard might show at his gate, and the answer might come out then. However, even then the odds are against it. There are a lot of ways the mark could be magical and we would never notice.

Thanatosia
2009-10-14, 03:31 AM
The Tatoo can also be clearly seen in a panel in Start of Darkness. It kinda looks like a curvy open top 4 with the bottom sweeping to the right. I'm pretty sure its some kind of magic rune or tatoo, not a scar.

As for the Goatee, the scenes with him lacking the Goatee are from later in his career then the ones that show him with it, so he probably just shaved it off at some point.

charl
2009-10-14, 03:32 AM
anyone read about a magical tattoo in any d&d book? what can it do?

Well, there's dragonmarks. They are not technically tatoos, but...

Lissou
2009-10-14, 04:14 AM
Looks like a rune.

Maybe Girard shaved his goatee to honor Kraagor after he died, or something. There are lots of hair-related traditions that are similar to that (like having a haircut if you have a love deception in Japan).

Le Piaf
2009-10-14, 05:06 AM
you are all wrong. He has magical tatoo that makes his goatee appear and disappear randomly. (actually, not disappear but enter shadow plane)

...OR it's a blink goatee, abominal child of blink dog and goat.

Teddy
2009-10-14, 05:14 AM
One of the adventurers in this comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0357.html) has a similar tatoo, and I think that the sorcerer avatar made by Rich has one too...

charl
2009-10-14, 05:50 AM
I think they are some sort of dragonmark like thing, considering the people we've seen it with all seem to be spellcasters. Like sort of a birthmark that comes with the magic abilities of a sorcerer.

Optimystik
2009-10-14, 07:34 AM
I think it's just another way of showing he has high Charisma (Rich does have the problem of making stick figures seem "attractive") besides merely having Serini swoon over him more.

Watcher
2009-10-14, 10:34 AM
Don't forget The Little Psion That Could (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0494.html).

Gullara
2009-10-14, 11:16 AM
Could it be a spellscar, or is that new in the 4th edition of DnD?

Kish
2009-10-14, 11:18 AM
Never heard of it, so it's probably 4ed-only.

Forbiddenwar
2009-10-14, 02:16 PM
I believe in 3.5 D&D you can have a magic tattoo that duplicates any magic item. Want flaming fists? Tattoo. Want a +4 to Int? Tattoo. Etc. The staking rules are the same, they just cost a lot more because they don't take a body slot.

Of course, it might just be a cool Tattoo.

Mugen Nightgale
2009-10-14, 02:21 PM
It looks like a Dragonmark. Grants spell like abilities.

Bibliomancer
2009-10-14, 02:23 PM
I believe in 3.5 D&D you can have a magic tattoo that duplicates any magic item. Want flaming fists? Tattoo. Want a +4 to Int? Tattoo. Etc. The staking rules are the same, they just cost a lot more because they don't take a body slot.

Of course, it might just be a cool Tattoo.

Where are the rules for tatoos? I thought they were the psionic equivalent of scrolls.

If you're making an item that doesn't take up a body slot, the classic example would be Ioun stones (the ones that rotate a person's head). I hadn't heard of a specific case of tatoo magic items outside of psionics.

Brendan
2009-10-14, 02:57 PM
The thing on his face seems purple, which i don't think is the usual color for a scar. I could be wrong, as I have no knowledge of medical things. Also, he is an illusionist, so making a goatee would be no problem at all.

Gullara
2009-10-14, 04:03 PM
The thing on his face seems purple, which i don't think is the usual color for a scar. I could be wrong, as I have no knowledge of medical things. Also, he is an illusionist, so making a goatee would be no problem at all.

Or he shaved, but don't listen to me I'm just a crazy person with crackpot theories. :smallamused:

charl
2009-10-14, 04:08 PM
Or he shaved, but don't listen to me I'm just a crazy person with crackpot theories. :smallamused:

Why would you shave if you have magic? :smallbiggrin:

Teddy
2009-10-14, 04:28 PM
What? When does Girard not have a goatie?

Yes, his illusions are powerfull.

Wait, was it you or me that made the save... :smallconfused:

Gift Jeraff
2009-10-14, 05:20 PM
So, in other words...

...He made his shaving throw?

:smalltongue:

Azukar
2009-10-15, 04:46 AM
So, in other words...

Well, mostly. He failed on an epic scale the first time, hence that dreadful purple scarring halfway up his face :smalltongue:.

Gullara
2009-10-15, 11:34 AM
So, in other words...

AHHHHH my ears!!!!!!! The puns are terrible. :smalltongue:

Yora
2009-10-15, 05:06 PM
perhaps its girardīs evil twin....Drarig!

Oh my god! I never noticed it until now!

"Nale"

I can't believe this. :smallbiggrin:

Tala Goodweed
2009-10-15, 06:27 PM
Oh my god! I never noticed it until now!

"Nale"

I can't believe this. :smallbiggrin:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128211
this is the place for you

Liwen
2009-10-15, 07:08 PM
there's a psionic tattoo that you can put one psionic power of third level or lower into.

of course Girard is an illusionist not a Psion.

You know, it could just a REGULAR tattoo he though looked badass...

Janmorel
2009-10-15, 08:23 PM
You know, it could just a REGULAR tattoo he though looked badass...

And more importantly, it's a quick way to recognize him, should the old geezer show up in the present day.

Bibliomancer
2009-10-15, 09:09 PM
And more importantly, it's a quick way to recognize him, should the old geezer show up in the present day.

:xykon:Let's not go crazy, here. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0112.html)

DementedFellow
2009-10-15, 09:47 PM
would this rune have anything to do with it?
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0118.html

Somewhere
2009-10-15, 10:13 PM
Would it be nearsighted of me to figure that looks like Himura Kenshin (of Rurouni Kenshin)'s cross-shaped scar, and nothing more than being a neat nerd-of-a-different-type reference?

Kish
2009-10-15, 10:14 PM
would this rune have anything to do with it?
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0118.htmlExploding Girard...

Bibliomancer
2009-10-16, 03:41 PM
Exploding Girard...

What better place to store a self-destruct rune than on one's own face? You'd never lose it.

However, this seems unlikely, given that this would have required some collaboration with Dorukan following the party split, and its unclear whether or not Girard is independent or agrees with Dorukan.

Acero
2009-10-16, 05:51 PM
it could be like a place on illusion?

he could be ugly

Nimrod's Son
2009-10-16, 08:39 PM
It's a nest of worms.

Alternatively, it's an illusion of a nest to worms to hide the fact he's got a nest of woodlice on his face.

Ozymandias9
2009-10-16, 10:04 PM
Where are the rules for tatoos? I thought they were the psionic equivalent of scrolls.

If you're making an item that doesn't take up a body slot, the classic example would be Ioun stones (the ones that rotate a person's head). I hadn't heard of a specific case of tatoo magic items outside of psionics.

Spell Compendium, Player's Guide to Faerun, and FR Campaign Setting all have a spell called "Create Magic Tattoo," which lasts for a day and can be made permanent. IIRC, it has various buffing functions, but the one that I remember best was the ability to raise caster level.

I think S&S had a version presented earlier, in their 3.X version of "I Can't Believe It's Not Dark Sun...Spray!" These essentially function as magical items: some are charged, some single use, and some permanent. They can't be stacked with a normal slot without modification (which increases crafting cost). Face, in particular, would only have stacking issues with lenses, glasses and goggles (which aren't the most common of magical items presented).

Complete Arcane also has a tattoo version of a spell book, but because of size and location, that doesn't seem to fit this.