PDA

View Full Version : Comunity super dungeon

Yar
2009-10-14, 01:59 AM
Remember when you were a kid and just started out DM'ing?
Remember Just scribbling down a complex maze?
Remember Loading it in whatever monster or devious trap you could think of?
Remember the Hordes and hordes of your friends character dieing like lemmings?

I miss that.. That said, We should Put something horrible together.
Have a nasty Encounter?
Have a nasty Villain?
Have a nasty Hazard?
Have a nasty Monster?
Have a nasty Trap?
Have a cool Magical Item?

I guess what im trying to say is.. Anyone want to make a Good, old fashioned Super dungeon?

Set
2009-10-14, 02:42 AM
There should be a reason for such a place to exist.

It started as the pyramid-tomb of Such-and-such the Mad Pharoah, who believed that the value of his wealth buried with him determined his status in the afterlife, and that he had enough to become a veritable god (so long as his stuff wasn't stolen by tomb robbers!).

Now, a millenia later, a necromancer who uses souls for power has arisen in his tomb and uses it as a meat-grinder, sending out maps to 'endless treasure' to lure adventurers in. Anyone who dies in the pyramid feeds his Soul Accumulator, or whatever, and when it acquires enough soul-power, he will ascend to godhood. Because he's the same Pharoah. Apparently he did get robbed, got kicked out of demigodhood, and is mightily pissed off about it, having returned as a lich, and seeking to regain his godhood with power that can't be stolen away this time...

Flayerman
2009-10-14, 02:51 AM
The Slaad Room:

Upon entry, you immediately notice that this room is not what it seems. After all, there couldn't possibly be an open forest in the middle of a dungeon. Looking up, you can see that the 'sky' is red and full of floating rocks.

On a DC 25 Spot check, the players can notice a Slaad leaping from rock to rock (seemingly on the bottoms of the rocks, following their progress through the increasingly-surreal landscape. Should they arrive on the other side, they open the door, only to arrive back at start. The only way out is to figure out the trick of the room; a Knowledge (The Planes) check (DC 25) will allow them to see that they are in fact currently on the ceiling.

The trick is to actually fall into the everwhirling Limbo, which deposits them in the Slaad's pen.

The vortex above shows nothing but floating rocks, but you remember the strange experience with ease. The grey, sane, ordered room before you is almost a respite, when you notice the runes of order and law carved all across the walls. They can only be meant to hold something in...

The Slaad will then fall to meet them, guarding the door like a Rancor. Kill it to progress to the next room.

Yar
2009-10-14, 11:40 AM
There should be a reason for such a place to exist.

It started as the pyramid-tomb of Such-and-such the Mad Pharoah, who believed that the value of his wealth buried with him determined his status in the afterlife, and that he had enough to become a veritable god (so long as his stuff wasn't stolen by tomb robbers!).

Now, a millenia later, a necromancer who uses souls for power has arisen in his tomb and uses it as a meat-grinder, sending out maps to 'endless treasure' to lure adventurers in. Anyone who dies in the pyramid feeds his Soul Accumulator, or whatever, and when it acquires enough soul-power, he will ascend to godhood. Because he's the same Pharoah. Apparently he did get robbed, got kicked out of demigodhood, and is mightily pissed off about it, having returned as a lich, and seeking to regain his godhood with power that can't be stolen away this time...

I like a unified plot. This necro should have a unique twist to him. Maybe a completely new kind of lich or something different all together. I can see him still having A divine rank of 0

Croverus
2009-10-14, 11:54 AM
Ooh, I have a wonderful group of more powerful versions of fungus and animated plants that could exist in a part of the dungeon that was built too close to a natural cavern and the fungus spores got in through cracks into a small section of hallways. I can look for the details on both the TRap and creature versions of my fungus and plant encounters if you'd like.

Yar
2009-10-14, 12:01 PM
Hells Yeah. Its an uber magical super dungeon i bet we could find room for almost anything.

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-14, 12:44 PM
Is there room for a Random Edition Shift TrapTM?

Gnomo
2009-10-14, 01:18 PM
Trap 1
Long room of 600 ft in which a Dimensional Lock (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensionalLock.htm) spell has been permanented in all of its extension, when crossing by you trigger multiple traps of poisoned bolt each round you're into the room, you can avoid them successfully succeeding a Reflex Save DC 10 + (half your party average level), if a bolt hits it deals 1d6 damage and the poison immobilizes its victims for 1d4 rounds in case of a failed Fortitude Save DC of 10 + (half your party average level). The Dimensional Lock effect cannot be dispelled, but can be suppressed by succeeding with a Dispel Magic effect a caster level check of 27.

Trap 2
300 ft long and 5 inches wide bridge (you need to succed a 15 balance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/balance.htm) check to walk at half your speed on it), under the bridge is a falling pit with a height of 30 ft filled with sticky stones, falling would mean 3d6 damage from the fall and 3d10 damage from the spikes, a successful Reflex Saving throw with a DC of 10 + (half your party average level) halves the spikes damage, falling damage is to be treated normally for a 30 ft fall, over the pit there's no ceiling, only a magically permanented darkness. Into the magical darkness over the bridge, there's a 100 ft high ceiling filled with spikes, 10d6 damage from falling up to the ceiling and 10d10 damage from the spikes for falling up to the ceiling, a successful Reflex Saving throw with a DC of 10 + (half your party average level) halves the spikes damage... Oh, by the way, the center area of the bridge is affected by a Reverse Gravity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/reverseGravity.htm) permanent effect.

Yar
2009-10-14, 05:13 PM
Is there room for a Random Edition Shift TrapTM?

There may be. What do you mean by Edition shift?

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-14, 05:28 PM
There may be. What do you mean by Edition shift?

A shift to a different roleplaying system or edition of a roleplaying system- for example, a random shift from- for example- D&D 3.5 to AD&D or to something like GURPS, mostly to arbitrarily rob players of their builds and accumulated power. This variety of trap would have no save against its effect, but automatically trigger once every half hour within the affected room(s).

Gamerlord
2009-10-14, 05:53 PM
The room of confusion:

Occupants:

15 lvl human wizard(NE)
8 trolls

The Human wizard has managed to twist the magic of this 30 ft by 30 ft area to his advantage, allowing him and his minions to walk on the walls and ceilings just like walking on the ground, upon beginning the encounter the wizard runs up to the ceiling(30 ft above ground) and starts lobbing away all sorts of nasty spells at weak-looking targets while his troll minions distract the tougher-looking ones.

Requiem Star
2009-10-14, 05:55 PM
Might as well throw in my two brain cells...

In construction of the tomb lay an annex, a spur that breached a series of natural caverns. Unable to dig further, the slaves closed off most of the spur and resumed their toil. A century later, one of the first adventurers to breach the tomb was a young transmuter named Marletha Redhands. Sadly, Marletha's companions met their end quickly, and she too was soon to follow when she discovered the sealed off annex and breached it.

What she discovered was a natural nexus of natural magical energy. Strange blue and purple crystals redirected the energies through the caverns and supported all kinds of unusual growths and species. However, these energies came at a price as the young transmuter noticed subtle changes. To survive and protect herself from the intrusions of the tomb's guardians Merletha augmented herself with spells empowered by the strange energy. Each change took a toll upon her sanity. Soon all thought of leaving the tomb was lost in the mad desire to push her magic ever further. Marletha the Mad now competes with the lich in her desire to obtain subjects for testing.

Marletha's caverns now resemble something from a nightmare. Living flesh frequently replaces stone while strange crystals pain everything in an eerie glow. Marletha observes intruders to her lair through living eyes and ears implanted in the walls.

Within the caverns any and all spells that target a creature have their duration increased to permanent. For each effect that is made permanent the subject suffers a -2 to their wisdom. Any creature whose wisdom drops to zero becomes a thrall under the control of Marletha. Creatures can willfully cancel transmutation spells with a successful Will save, DC: 15+ the level of the spell. This save can only be made once per day.

Numerous magical traps fill the annex. These traps actually augment those who trip them, but often with nasty side effects. Other traps are far more disturbing, acid spraying glands or giant maws that open and chew those who fall into them. Monsters include giant gibbering mouthers, mutated and cannibalistic trolls, beholders, and Marletha's many aberrant experiments. Perhaps the most disturbing is a sentient ooze capable of perfectly imitating any humanoid. Called her daughters, these oozes frequently find their way to nearby towns and villages to find the brave, foolish, or greedy and lures them into the tomb, leading them to the annex.

Marletha herself is an aberrant monstrosity; a colossal amalgamation of dozens of different species. Her sanity now completely gone, Marletha sees all living things as simply tools for her ever more macabre and grisly experiments. In her madness she is concocting a plan where the lich will be destroyed or allied with to give her unfettered access to the surface.

Yar
2009-10-15, 01:40 AM
requiem your a sicko, I like it. No reason necro pharoah god has to bogard the whole temple.

keep the enteries comming. The idea to switch game engines is kinda weird and i think it would be to much midgame work to convert and slow the fun down too much.

Yar
2009-10-16, 02:31 AM
seriously? no one has anything else?

Slavaa
2009-10-16, 05:22 PM
It's not mine, but it definitely needs this: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79135

Icewalker
2009-10-16, 06:28 PM
Note: IF YOU ARE MY PLAYER IN ANY OF MY THREE GAMES, DO NOT READ. There's a 1 in 3 chance you'll be running into it. More, if I find the opportunities in the other 2...

Not the 'Drop Spiked Boulder Trap', but the
Spiked Boulder Drop Trap
The party is moving down a hall. At the end of the hall is a door. Above the door is a blatantly obvious giant spiked boulder hanging at the top of a 30 foot shaft over the door.

When you touch the doorhandle, it casts reverse gravity.

deuxhero
2009-10-16, 06:54 PM
Now, a millenia later, a necromancer who uses souls for power has arisen in his tomb and uses it as a meat-grinder, sending out maps to 'endless treasure' to lure adventurers in. Anyone who dies in the pyramid feeds his Soul Accumulator, or whatever, and when it acquires enough soul-power, he will ascend to godhood.

I've heard that before...

boomwolf
2009-10-16, 07:30 PM
I made an entire dungeon once that was about the size of "world's largest dungeon", altough the game died before the players even reached it.

I filled it with all sorts of nasty monsters and traps, some are impossible by RAW, others are slight rule modification, and a few bizarre possible stuff.

Ran it as a solo crawl some time later to another group. was quite amusing because they were always surprised even tough they were experienced players.

I mean, I used EVERYTHING suggested in doungeonscape, quite a few edited to redonkilus levels.

Keep in mind that entry levels 10.

Example, Flesh and Bones:

This encounter consists of two creatures.
"Bones" an intelligent 5 HD skeleton

"Flesh" practically the entire area is walls/floor/ceiling of flesh, and its a living creature impossible to hurt it, but if a wall is made only from flesh (and no stone behind) 25 points of fire/slashing damage in a single round will open a hole, if there is a wall behind, only the "Flesh" there is gone.
Flesh has 10 actions in his turn, his actions may consist of:
1-closing up a wall in his area.
2-spitting acid as ranged touch attack with 1d6 damage, in his area. ("digesting" things.)
3-sending a tentacle up to 100 ft. away from his area to grapple something and drag it slowly inside (10 ft. per round)
4-attack with a tentacle as a melee attack with 2d6 damage, up to 100 ft. from his area.
5-spread his area by infecting a wall/ceiling/floor next to an existing one, or remove himself from an area.

Flesh is unkillable. but has no senses.
Bones is not very powerful, but has senses. but he is restricted to Flesh's area.
Bones and Flesh are a single mind, and in actual, bones controls flesh. so Flesh's actions are taken during Bone's turn.
Flesh needs to feed. so the two tend to spread and attempt to invade the territory of nearby kobolds, goblins, kenku etc. they all hate the dual, but fear them. nobody gets close to them if he has a choice.

The party's first sight of them is when flesh drags a kobold into his area from the left of a T shaped corridor to the right side. and beings to digest it.
And they encounter him quite a few times because he has a giant area of the dungeon infected, upon multiple levels, and its ****ing hard to chase Bones considering Flesh can open and close walls, including holes to another level, hidden passages, trap doors, massive caravans, many road splits and the entire time you spend there, he gets free attacks at you while you cannot fight back properly.

And this isn't even the nastiest thing in that dungeon.

Yar
2009-10-21, 11:06 AM
AN unBEARable Trap

Bear Pit trap
This is a standard pit trap however the bottom of the pit is a large cavern and is home to a really Hungry fiendish dire bear which lives in the bottom of the hole. Many years ago it fell into the hole the kobolds keep it alive so that it might ad an extra element of danger to the trap. Climbing out of the hole requires a dc 40 climb check due to the loose dirt walls making it nearly impossible to get a foot or hand hold.

Bear Pit Trap: CR 8; mechanical; location trigger; repair reset; DC 20 Reflex save avoids; 100 ft. deep (10d6, fall); Search DC 27; Disable Device DC 18. Market Price: 16,000 gp.

Vadin
2009-10-21, 12:36 PM
A pair of rooms that equate to a nice little puzzle with a secret room as the reward:

Room 1: The players find a bison. There's a wooden door at the other end of the room with a bar over the handles so the door can't be opened from the other side.

Room 2: If the players open the next door, they on the left side of the room a thicker covering of ice that covers a large dark opening. They also see a young red dragon! He won't attack them if they don't get close, however. The young red dragon is gnawing hungrily on a bone.

The solution: The players can kill the young red dragon and investigate the room. Alternatively, the players can feed the bison to the dragon, after which the dragon will melt the ice in the room and the ice over the cave entrance. He then proceeds into the cave and falls into a deep sleep (the players won't have to be very sneaky, but if they make to much noise, the dragon will growl threateningly). If the players search inside the cave, they'll find a magic item. The magic item should be an orb or rod with an at-will power that relates primarily to ice or cold and, if the item can be powerful enough, might cause some sleep or dizzying (nausea) effect.

Notes: Both rooms are very, very cold. So cold that the walls are covered in a thin layer of ice and all the floors are treated as difficult terrain because of the slippery layer of frozen water.

Yar
2009-10-27, 12:28 PM
Grand ballista Trap.
This trap consists of a oversized ballista on one side of a flimsy door the head of this ballista is an oversized multi-flanged broad head the flanges are wide enough to reach the edges of the round hallway in which the ballista points. the trap is sprung by turning the knob on the flimsy door which causes the ballista to fire into the hallway smashing the door in the process. sense the flanges touch the sides of the wall there is no way to dodge the ballista rivets in the wall cause the ballista bolt to spin in a blender like motion causing horrible injuries on whoever is struck

Grand Ballista Trap: CR: 9, Repair reset, Mechanical, Never misses (6d6 damage) Fortitude save dc 20 or Cripple a Randomly determined limb Roll a d 6 1-2 arm (arm useless), 3-5 Leg (1/2 movement) 6 Head (death (fort save dc 16 to negate), Search dc 29, Disable device dc 30.

Talbot
2009-10-27, 01:23 PM
I was always partial to the "double mole".

About a quarter to a third of the way through a dungeon, the players will come across a torture chamber manned by a particularly brutal torturer (my go-to for this was an NPC Draconian (from the Dragonlance setting) called Mlaygarssh the Cruel, who was all sorts of nasty). Once/if the party defeats the torturer, they'll find two living torture victims, both of whom are wildly sympathetic, and very grateful. Both should be NPCs with character levels (approximately equal in level to the players) and have interesting and well-defined personalities and backstories (they should also both have ridiculously high bluff skills). They will apparently not like each other very much, but both will be so grateful to the heroes that they'll willfully join up instead of trying to find their way out on their own.

About ten-twenty rooms later (we are talking about a bigass dungeon here, right?), one of them will betray the party at an incredibly inopportune time. The other one will be instrumental in defeating this horrible traitor.

Near the end of the dungeon, the second NPC will also betray the party at a terribly inopportune time. Possibly during the final boss-fight.

It requires a good DM to pull this off without the players getting too suspicious (if they throw around enough Sense Motive checks, sooner or later they'll roll a 20). I recommend using any old NPCs or PCs you have laying around from another campaign to save on effort/make them more convincing; if they weren't designed as a mole originally, it'll be harder for the players to figure them out.

Amadi
2009-10-27, 02:52 PM
It's not mine, but it definitely needs this: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79135

At least have decency to post the thing that is from, rather than someone who ripped it off. The following is from June 1980, dragon magazine or somesuch. I doubt the guy to whose post you linked to was even born then.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/AmadiTheGreat/Tesseract1.jpg?t=1256673238http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/AmadiTheGreat/Tesseract2.jpg?t=1256673238
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/AmadiTheGreat/Tesseract3.jpg?t=1256673238http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/AmadiTheGreat/Tesseract4.jpg?t=1256673239

Siosilvar
2009-10-28, 08:45 PM
At least have decency to post the thing that is from, rather than someone who ripped it off. The following is from June 1980, dragon magazine or somesuch. I doubt the guy to whose post you linked to was even born then.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/AmadiTheGreat/Tesseract1.jpg?t=1256673238http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/AmadiTheGreat/Tesseract2.jpg?t=1256673238
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/AmadiTheGreat/Tesseract3.jpg?t=1256673238http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/AmadiTheGreat/Tesseract4.jpg?t=1256673239

That's not even remotely the same thing.

Dante & Vergil
2009-10-29, 04:14 PM
I get the feeling that posting that is not even remotely legal.

Mewtarthio
2009-10-29, 07:04 PM

Er, you are aware that a four-dimensional cube is hardly a unique idea, right?

AugustNights
2009-10-30, 04:26 AM
The Key and Trap
In any hallway before the trap, there is a secret door about the size of a bread-box which has a key inside it. (Appropriate Search DC for the secret door)

Later on at a locked door, the party rogue will no doubt search for traps, and will find none*.
After the door is unlocked, unless this key is used, the tumbler not only unlocks the door, but completes a series of 'dead traps.' Which then become active, and ready to spring.

*If the rogue beats the Search DC of the 'dead traps' by 10, he will notice that there are uncompleted traps on the door.

Room of Blood
Within a simple 20ftx20ft room the party comes across an antimagic field (optional), and a Sword within a stone. The Stone reads 'This Blade will kill your Enemy, Your Friend, and Your Soul.' in Dwarven.

If the blade is drawn (appropriately low strength check), it nulls the antimagical field, and releases a contingent Summon Monster III (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonmonsteriii.htm) spell [1d4+1 Fiendish hawks.]

The blade is a Beserking sword. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#swordBerserking)

Bait and Switch
The party enters a normal room with a statue on a pedestal.
On closer examination they will notice that the statue is holding a real wand and a real scroll. (An appropriately low spot DC)

On a very closer (sometimes fatally closer, or an appropriately high spot DC) inspection the party may notice that the statue is actually a living creature.

If the party gets too close, the creature will activate the scroll [a Wall spell, or Force cage] and then open fire with the wand [Fireball and Fire resistance on the creature works well.] (Again spells scaled to Party)

However if a dwarf approaches the Statue-creature, the Statue-Creature (whatever it may be) will offer to strike up a deal or bargain with the dwarf if the dwarf uses it's stonecutting skills to improve/free/modify the Statue-Creature in some way.

The Boon
An encounter trap (See Dungeon scape) with an incredibly low attack bonus begins blasting a number of rays at the party [1 per member, though if it misses, it may try and hit the same member again.]

After this the room rapidly fills with water.
The ray is Freedom of Movement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/freedomOfMovement.htm)

The Gift
In a room there is a statue of a Rat-Man, or Rat-Demon holding it's hands out as if offering a gift. On it's hands is an obvious Ring of Wizardry (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#wizardry) (appropriate to party). However this ring is smeared with Were-rat's blood, and works like a contact disease for the first person to handle the ring. [This trap is cruel because Wizards hate LA.]

Fools Trap
A door with what appears to be an overly complicated trap that the party rogue cannot seem to fully disarm. In fact every time that the rogue disarms it, an new trap seems to activate. Cycle 5 possible traps.
However this is all an elaborate ruse. There is no trap on this door, it is only made with the workings, and not the end result.

Rocks Fall
Boulders placed on the ceiling in nets on the ethereal plane.
A contingent ethereal jaunt spell drops boulders from nowhere on the party.

Boiled in Safety
A trap door on the ceiling is seems to be resting on top of an immobile rod. It is not, and any pressure placed on the bottom of this trap door will cause it to shatter, dumping in Magma at an appropriate rate.

The Time Consumer
In an elaborate room there are several minor treasures. On a raised tile there stands a master-craft pedestal. On this pedestal there stands a Ruby.

There is no trap here, but watch the party freak out as they try and figure it out.

Lying Door
There is a confusing and difficult riddle on a door, or perhaps a cruel demand mentioned in order to safely pass through. Whatever it is, there is a strong punishment for failing to follow orders as expected, or guessing the riddle incorrectly.

The Door is not locked.

Potions
The party finds any potion. [Potions of Cure Light wounds, or Haste, or Bullstrength work best] (They may try and identify it anyway, they would be smart to not trust the label.)

It is really...[None of these are fun to drink, especially in the heat of battle.]
Sovereign Glue
Black Lotus Extract
Urine
Acid
Water
Alchemist fire
Any other cruel liquid you like.

Cyanidesoul
2009-10-30, 05:53 AM
I made an entire dungeon once that was about the size of "world's largest dungeon", altough the game died before the players even reached it.

I filled it with all sorts of nasty monsters and traps, some are impossible by RAW, others are slight rule modification, and a few bizarre possible stuff.

Ran it as a solo crawl some time later to another group. was quite amusing because they were always surprised even tough they were experienced players.

I mean, I used EVERYTHING suggested in doungeonscape, quite a few edited to redonkilus levels.

Keep in mind that entry levels 10.

Example, Flesh and Bones:

This encounter consists of two creatures.
"Bones" an intelligent 5 HD skeleton

"Flesh" practically the entire area is walls/floor/ceiling of flesh, and its a living creature impossible to hurt it, but if a wall is made only from flesh (and no stone behind) 25 points of fire/slashing damage in a single round will open a hole, if there is a wall behind, only the "Flesh" there is gone.
Flesh has 10 actions in his turn, his actions may consist of:
1-closing up a wall in his area.
2-spitting acid as ranged touch attack with 1d6 damage, in his area. ("digesting" things.)
3-sending a tentacle up to 100 ft. away from his area to grapple something and drag it slowly inside (10 ft. per round)
4-attack with a tentacle as a melee attack with 2d6 damage, up to 100 ft. from his area.
5-spread his area by infecting a wall/ceiling/floor next to an existing one, or remove himself from an area.

Flesh is unkillable. but has no senses.
Bones is not very powerful, but has senses. but he is restricted to Flesh's area.
Bones and Flesh are a single mind, and in actual, bones controls flesh. so Flesh's actions are taken during Bone's turn.
Flesh needs to feed. so the two tend to spread and attempt to invade the territory of nearby kobolds, goblins, kenku etc. they all hate the dual, but fear them. nobody gets close to them if he has a choice.

The party's first sight of them is when flesh drags a kobold into his area from the left of a T shaped corridor to the right side. and beings to digest it.
And they encounter him quite a few times because he has a giant area of the dungeon infected, upon multiple levels, and its ****ing hard to chase Bones considering Flesh can open and close walls, including holes to another level, hidden passages, trap doors, massive caravans, many road splits and the entire time you spend there, he gets free attacks at you while you cannot fight back properly.

And this isn't even the nastiest thing in that dungeon.

This sounds all kinds of awesome. Can you tell me/show me more of this dungeon?