PDA

View Full Version : CoA II: Menzoberranzan (GAME BEGINS!!!)

Kensen
2009-10-14, 03:42 AM
Important notice:

Recruitment for CoA III has begun. See post #131 for the relevant info! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7379309&postcount=131)

====================

Old info about the previous game

This is the recruitment & game thread for Circle of Assassins II: Menzoberranzan. This time around the characters are drow assassins and other vile killers living in Menzoberranzan, the City of Spiders (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menzoberranzan).

While the core mechanics of the game are the same as in the first game, a lot has been changed, so please read the rules below.

I'm recruiting 11 characters this time. One of the slots is reserved for the winner of the first game. Another five slots are reserved to new players. The remaining five slots are filled on a first come first served basis.

In CoA II: Menzoberranzan, a character's secret (see the rules) is a pseudonym - much like a stage name, noms de guerre or handle. Choose a cool & sinister sounding pseudonym, if you please. :smallbiggrin:

Sample character:

Name: Shelazza Di'Mir
Description: Shelazza is a half-drow/half-gray elf. She looks a lot like a drow, but her eyes are distinctively lime-green. She was born into slavery but she learned the art of killing in the cruel Di'Mir household and became an assassin. Her weapon of choice is the shortbow, and she poisons the arrows with potent poisons.
Secret: (NOTE! Send this part in a PM!) Shelazza's pseudonym is Black Thorn.

Game rules:

I Character creation

1. Post your character's name and a description in the recruitment thread.
1.1 The name should be appropriate for the theme of the game.
1.2 The description should include at least the character's favored method of killing. Other details on his appearance, personality and modus operandi are also appreciated.
2. Send the GM your character's secret in a PM. What the secret is depends on the theme of the game, but it is usually a secret identity or vulnerability.

II The game round

1. The GM posts a list of all remaining characters, and a list of secrets that are connected to those characters.
2. Send the GM a PM with a guess. If you can guess correctly which secret belongs to which character, that character dies at the end of the round. Write your guess in the following format: [character] is [secret]
2.1 Once you've sent your PM, you cannot change your guess. The only exception to this rule is that if your target is invalid, you can change your target.
2.2 You can only target characters and secrets listed by the GM.
2.3 You cannot target your own character, but you can target your character's secret.
2.4 The deaths occur simultaneously, and thus it is possible for two characters to kill each other, or even for all remaining characters to die on the same round.
2.5 If two or more players kill the same target, it counts as an assisted kill for each of the players.
2.6 If you don't send a PM to the GM, or your PM does not have a valid guess in it, you are considered to be absent on that round. Two consecutive absences result in auto-elimination.
2.7 You are allowed to send your guess in advance if you know you'll otherwise be absent on a round. You may include conditions as necessary to avoid choosing an invalid target.
3. You may roleplay your character in the game thread. It is not obligatory, but it is recommended.
4. You may make pacts with other players. A pact may be public (made in the game thread) or secret (made in PMs). In either case, any such pacts are non-binding.
5. When 48 hours (2 days) have passed or everyone has sent in their PMs, the GM narrates the deaths and lists all guesses made that round. The guesses are listed in the following format: [character A]: [character B] is [secret] (miss!/HIT!)
6. The GM checks how many players are left.
6.1 If there are no characters alive, the game is over and there is no winner.
6.2 If there is one character left, that player wins the game. If there are two characters left, the one with more kills wins; if it's still a tie, unassisted kills determine the winner.
6.3 If there are three or more characters left, a new round begins.

The Bookworm
2009-10-15, 05:51 AM
Name: Kyla
Species: Rothe
Profession: By day, she's a herd animal. By night, she's an assassin.
Past: Remains a mystery...
Modus Operanti: Knife wound and a hoof mark left on victims chest.

banjo1985
2009-10-15, 06:06 AM
Registering interest, but will step aside for any new players. I have got through to the last round of the first one afterall. :smallsmile:

rakkoon
2009-10-15, 06:15 AM
Name: Borth Feyslinth
Description: Borth is short for a drow, easier to get into places like that. His long hair is usually in a ponytail while his black eyes remain as cold as ice. He became an assassin for the sense of power and is enjoying himself immensely in his chosen profession. His weapon of choice is a silver choke chain, up close and personal, ya know. "First you choke them, then you pierce the left eye". Nobody has figured out why it is the left one though.
Secret: TB determined by you

Kensen
2009-10-15, 06:16 AM
A rothe? Hmm, I didn't see that coming. Are rothes intelligent enough to become assassins? :smalleek:

Banjo: There are 5 slots reserved for new players, so don't worry about it. If you're interested, please join. :smallsmile:

The Bookworm: Please read the OP. The secret must be a pseudonym in this particular CoA game. (I re-wrote the rules from a more generic point of view, but specifics pertaining to this game are mentioned in the OP.)

Freshmeat
2009-10-15, 07:10 AM
Name: Yadzin Cro'niss
Race: Half-mindflayer, half-drow
Description: Yadzin was like, a military experiment that went wrong, y'know? Now he has turned himself against his masters! But he's been framed for the murder of his best friend! With the aid of a svirfneblin sidekick and a gun-toting drow princess, he must fight his way to freedom to clear his name and stop the bad guys from completing an arcane ritual that will summon a trapped demon! Oh le noes!
Also, the aforementioned bad guys killed his dog!
Profession: Self-proclaimed vigilante and defender of justice!
Past: Mysterious, but I can tell that there will be numerous cheesy plot twists involved! I just know it!
Modus Operanti: Wire-fu and slow-motion blade swings. Expect explosions too.

Raz_Fox
2009-10-15, 11:20 AM
Name: Shasera d'Hemar.
Description: Seemingly a submissive and beautiful slave, a shining jewel destined for a noble's harem, Shasera is more than what she seems. Her silver moon jewelry marks her as a worshiper of Eilistraee, and several of her former masters have ended up dead under mysterious circumstances. Her cheerful demeanor and happiness in servitude may be carefully designed masks... or maybe she's just learned to accept life in bondage.
Profession: Dancer and pleasure slave, and most certainly not an assassin for the Lady of the Dance.
Past: Born in Calimshan as the daughter of a brave renegade running from the tyranny of his people, Shasera was enslaved as a child when her father's past caught up with him and they were taken back to Menzoberranzan in chains. Since then, she's flitted from one master to another, sold or given away as a gift, or being resold after her master's untimely and unusual death.
Favored Weapon: IF Shasera were an assassin, her preferred weapons would be poisoning or strangulation, usually during an intimate moment.

Kensen
2009-10-15, 02:28 PM
Raz Fox, good to see you again! You played in my fantasy wargames earlier this year.

A few notes on the characters: Please include a favored weapon or killing method. Also, I'd appreciate it if you didn't create joke characters. They need not be dead serious, but Menzoberranzan isn't Menzoberranzan if it turns into slapstick.

Trixie
2009-10-15, 03:03 PM
So... the Keiling Kats are out, then? :smalltongue:

Name: Cwni'ngen Llo'frudd o'Caer'bannog.
Race: Bra'ch'yl'age
Description: A flash of something white in the dark. You're not sure what, as no one who saw it lived to tell the tale.
Modus Operandi: Next day, a corpse with terrible neck wound will be found, its head missing.

Freshmeat
2009-10-15, 03:14 PM
A few notes on the characters: Please include a favored weapon or killing method. Also, I'd appreciate it if you didn't create joke characters. They need not be dead serious, but Menzoberranzan isn't Menzoberranzan if it turns into slapstick.

Yeah, ok. Duly noted. :smalltongue:

Name: Yadzin Cro'niss
Race: Drow
Description: A beguiler affiliated with the foremost House of the underdark. (sorry for the short description, but seriousness doesn't come quite as naturally to me)
Modus Operanti: Diamond-tipped throwing knives to the heart or forehead.

Kensen
2009-10-15, 03:38 PM
So... the Keiling Kats are out, then? :smalltongue:

Name: Cwni'ngen Llo'frudd o'Caer'bannog.
Race: Bra'ch'yl'age
Description: A flash of something white in the dark. You're not sure what, as no one who saw it lived to tell the tale.
Modus Operandi: Next day, a corpse with terrible neck wound will be found, its head missing.

Wait wait wait, is it a vorpal bunny..? Hmm I didn't know they've migrated to the Underdark >.<

EDIT: Now where's my Holy Hand Grenade...

Wizibirb
2009-10-15, 04:31 PM
Name: Bob Doe
Description:Bob is half-drow half-human: he was raised and named by his mother, but taught by his father who was one of the most vial assassins of the underworld. His preferred killing method is using Arsenic. (anyone else noticing a theme here :smallamused::smalltongue:)

The Bookworm
2009-10-15, 07:02 PM
Name: Bob Doe
Description:Bob is half-drow half-human: he was raised and named by his mother, but taught by his father who was one of the most vial assassins of the underworld. His preferred killing method is using Arsenic. (anyone else noticing a theme here :smallamused::smalltongue:)
Yeah, but there's no "Old Lace" this time.

calar
2009-10-15, 07:17 PM
Name: Rizza Arabrae
Race: Drow
Description: Rizza is a tall slender Drow male with maroon eyes and short cut black hair. He is not very muscular but his reflex and speed make up for that in spades. He wears a midnight blue cloak which magically suppresses body heat, making him near invisible to drow eyes. His weapon of choice is a blackened rapier and throwing daggers, and is well known as a master duelist. He has only one know associate named Vornril who acts as Rizza's agent and spokesperson to employer's and is the only person Rizza ever talks to. As a rule, Vornril never assists in one of Rizza's kills, even if Rizza's life is in jeopardy.
Modus Operanti: Note with a number on it left by the body indicating Rizza's current kill count.

Vwulf DeMarcus
2009-10-15, 09:15 PM
Name:Kands Xiol
Race:Mind Flayer
Description:Is under hood and cloak all the time, so nobody sees him.
Modus Operandi:Four holes in the head of the corpse when body is found.

Wizibirb
2009-10-15, 09:58 PM
Yeah, but there's no "Old Lace" this time.

Funny fact I have actually been apart of a play called "arsenic and old lace"

UncleWolf
2009-10-15, 10:08 PM
In if there is room!

Name: Nikolai Grashnov
Race: Human
Description: He is a decently muscled man, roughly 6ft tall, has brown/gray hair, wears darkened leather armor, and a red scarf that covers the scars on his lower half of his face. He carries a heavy crossbow on his back, along with a sabre. Wears goggles that let him see in the dark.
Profession: Bounty Hunter. He saw a flier saying "Clear the Underdark! 1000gp a kill. Bring proof for reward."

M.O. Each victim is scalped/de-tentacled.

rakkoon
2009-10-16, 02:03 AM
Next day, a corpse with terrible neck wound will be found, its head missing.

Wow, beheaded and a neck wound, that's just plain rude that is!:smalltongue:

smuchmuch
2009-10-16, 07:42 AM
If there is still place:

Name: Braen De'n Dazmon

Race: Feral Drider

Braen De'n Damon was one of the youngest assassins of Menzoberranzan and might have an intersting carreer, hadn't he pissed off the wrong personn. Namely his own sister who happened to be very favored priest of loth at the time. She wasn't known fo her mercy either, so he was punished. By death ? No such luck, she really wanted him to suffer, so he got right to instant driderification.
Except, for reason uknown, except maybe by Loth herself, the ritual didn't work as expected and while his body was twisted , Braen kept most of his willpower, inteligence and magical abilities. Needless to say he was pissed too and vowed revenge on ...well pretty much everything everyone with a large preference for drows

Profession: Psychopath. He kept most of his inteligence, sure but his sanity however is another matter.

Favorite method of killing: Turns out that giving a body that can climb wall, shoot cobwebs at will to a train assassin and spit poison to a trained assassins isn't such a good idea.

The Bookworm
2009-10-16, 08:11 AM
Funny fact I have actually been apart of a play called "arsenic and old lace"
Yes, that was my reference.

Wizibirb
2009-10-16, 12:14 PM
Thought so,

Dr. Einstien at your service. The worlds most renowned Drunk Plastic Surgeon. :smallamused:

The Bookworm
2009-10-16, 01:01 PM
Thought so,

Dr. Einstien at your service. The worlds most renowned Drunk Plastic Surgeon. :smallamused:
I love that character! And the whole play, for that matter.

Wizibirb
2009-10-16, 01:15 PM
I love that character! And the whole play, for that matter.

Haha he is the best character in the play.
But yes the whole play is amazing.

rakkoon
2009-10-19, 06:02 AM
One more people, come on!

Borth "rabid raccoon" Feyslinth

Lex-Kat
2009-10-19, 10:49 AM
Name: Sharna
Species: Drow
Profession: Pure Assassin
Past: Who's asking?
Modus Operandi: Males: Forced Feminization, then throat slit.
______________Females: Two daggers in the lower back, then throat slit.

Grim ranger
2009-10-19, 11:54 AM
Aww...I am late! I would have so totally joined this one, but...oh well, I guess I have to be faster next time :smallfrown:

smuchmuch
2009-10-19, 12:54 PM
I'm willing to give my place in this CoA to Grimm, eventualy. (but I would like in echange a reserved slot for the next, if possible (especialy if you go surpheroes themed in the next))

rakkoon
2009-10-19, 01:39 PM
Modus Operandi: Males: Forced Feminization, then throat slit.
______________Females: Two daggers in the lower back, then throat slit.

Wow, I mean...I never voted for you in any game, please remember that

Grim ranger
2009-10-19, 02:26 PM
I'm willing to give my place in this CoA to Grimm, eventualy. (but I would like in echange a reserved slot for the next, if possible (especialy if you go surpheroes themed in the next))

So, does that mean I can still join? *hopeful face*

Kensen
2009-10-19, 04:54 PM
Hmmm sure you can join if smuchmuch is willing to give you his spot. :smallsmile:

calar
2009-10-19, 08:24 PM
Are you counting banjo among the current players? If not then Grim should be able to join.

Lex-Kat
2009-10-19, 08:51 PM
I don't believe Banjo is being counted.

The Bookworm- Kyla
Calar- Rizza
Freshmeat- Yadzin
Grim Reaper- Zariel
Lex-kat- Sharna
Rakkoon- Borth
Raz Fox- Shasera
Shadowhisper- lKands
Smuchmuch- Braen
Trixie- Cwni'ngen
Wolfbane- Nikolai

smuchmuch
2009-10-19, 10:13 PM
So, does that mean I can still join? *hopeful face*

Sure you can. I'll play on the next.
Does it bother if I eventualy roleplay a bit in this one without being a player ?

Kensen
2009-10-20, 02:24 AM
smuchmuch: Nope, it doesn't bother me at all. :smallsmile:

Grim Ranger: Please submit a character, and send me the character's secret pseudonym in a PM, and we can get started.

Grim ranger
2009-10-20, 02:42 AM
Name: Zariel

Race:Drow

Description:Fully cloaked in silky black garb, gloves, mask and cloak, Zariel is what you would expect out of an assassin: ruthless, silent and deadly as underwater electric chair. He is lean and very acrobatic, and wears white lenses over his eyes to conceal his identity even further and to protect himself from blinding attacks. Not many know a thing of his past: he is like a ghost, materializing only to accept assignments and collect the rewards. The rumours whisper that he does not kill innocents and that all who he has ever slain have deserved their fate, and that he has even killed unworthy employers on more than one occasion. This is merely a rumour however...

His weapons of choice are two hooked longswords, blowpipe with poisoned darts and strangling wire, though he is fully capable of killing people with his bare hands.

Profession: Assassin, pure and simple.

Past:Revealed only to privledged few, and might be revealed along the story...if he stays alive.

Modus Operanti:poisoned dart to the throat from safe distance or neck snap or strangulation with wire up close. He leaves his callcard on the forehead of the corpse if situation permits: black piece of parchment with white hourglass drawn to it. The hourglass is empty on pictures he leaves with corpses: if he sends threats he sends card with half-full hourglass, with enchantment showing the sand flowing in it.

Wizibirb
2009-10-20, 12:15 PM
if smuchmuch would like to have my place he can as I need to withdraw from this game, I have midterms coming up and I am behind on homework. Sorry guys

Kensen
2009-10-21, 04:13 AM
Lloth loves chaos and mayhem. She revels in heedless slaughter and disorder. Her game is one of intrigue and survival of the fittest. Her game pieces are the assassins.

Who will win? The gauntlet is down.

-Talen Sr'eth, Chronicler

Round 1 begins!

Assassins

Borth Feyslinth, drow assassin (rakkoon)
Braen De'n Dazmon, drider (smuchmuch)
Cwni'ngen Llo'frudd o'Caer'bannog (Trixie)
Ikands Xiol, mind flayer (Shadowhisper)
Kyla, (awakened?) rothe (The Bookworm)
Nikolai Grashnov, human bounty hunter (Wolfbane)
Rizza Arabrae, drow assassin (calar)
Sharna, drow assassin (Lex-kat)
Shasera d'Hemar, drow ... slave (Raz_Fox)
Yadzin Cro'niss, drow beguiler (Freshmeat)
Zariel, drow assassin (Grim ranger)

Secret aliases

the Avenging Angel
the Black Plague
the Blackest Hunter
Dried
the Lurker
the Red Abomination
Riptide
Silencer
Strijder Nacht
Twisted Shadow
Xul Solar de Silva

rakkoon
2009-10-21, 04:31 AM
Borth was standing in the shadows, casually looking at the tavern "The Blooded Rothe". Under his breath he mumbles "kontak my as jy dit verstaan", what in the name all the gods does that mean?

Raz_Fox
2009-10-21, 01:52 PM
There are certain disreputable taverns in the darker parts of Menzoberranzan, places frequented by the children of nobility as proof of how tough and dangerous they were. There is a certain fashion among the young men that slum in these places - look at their black leathers and gaudy rings, rapiers they half-know how to use hanging at their belts, eyes narrowed in petty malice and what cunning they pretend at. Dangerous? The only danger they pose is the weight of their families and their petty desire for vengeance against any slight, however real or imagined.

If compared to the usual noble clique that hung around such taverns, "Caz" Zaichcazzerran Morhazeth was a magnificent genius. It wasn't difficult to believe that he'd go far, even in the matriarchy of civilized society. Certainly there was still the foolishness of youth hanging about him, but it only veiled a bright and clever mind. Once it became sharp enough to pierce the veil of naivety and inexperience, he'd adapt to the infighting and treacheries of Menzoberranzan like a fish realizing it was meant to swim. Of course, that assumed he'd live that long.

His fatal flaw was easily seen in his actions today. Look at him, walking into the Spider's Clutch, head held high. Look at his smug smirk as he pretends not to notice the stares of interest directed to the slave walking behind him - oh, but a flame of envy stirs in his rivals' hearts, he says to himself. How many vain young nobles could claim to own a female slave, especially one so nubile and demure? He called to the slave manning the bar - just the usual, bring it to the table - before strutting to a table on the far side of the room. More than a few pairs of eyes fixated on the slave's barely-clad posterior, swaying alluringly as she followed her master, the chain running from her collar to his belt keeping her close to him.

As Zaichcazzeran waited for his drinks, he noted with a further twinge of pride that one of his more friendly acquaintances was approaching his table. With a leer, he tugged at his slave's chain, forcing her to take a seat in his lap. "There's a good girl. ...Ah, Hazarik, sit down! Allow me to buy you something! What can I treat you to?" Hazarik gave his peer a small, tight-lipped smile, sitting down at the table. "Drider's Milk, if you would."

The emaciated gnome waiter scurried over to the dark table, looking down at the floor as he raised his tray and let Caz remove his drink. Caz sipped it gently and licked his lips, then tossed a silver coin down onto the floor for the gnome to pick up. "Go fetch my friend here a Drider's Milk, filth. Quick now!" The waiter hobbled away and Caz turned his attention to Hazarik - though he found his slave's smooth skin rubbing against his body both distracting and arousing. "So. Found anything yet?" Hazarik pulled out a dagger with a hilt carved into the image of a spider, flicking it between his fingers, as he leaned forward and lowered his voice. "das'Cherik was found dead this time. Had his little friend ripped off and his throat was a bloody mess." He frowned, stabbing the dagger into the table, a motion that made the slave flinch and shrink back. "I'll find this assassin. I don't care how long it takes me, I will." Pausing for a moment, he looked Caz in the face. "Are you still in?"

Caz gave Hazarik a sincere little smile, almost cloying in its faked innocence. "Would I ever betray you, old friend?" With more seriousness, he said, "Yes. I still intend to stand by my side of the bargain." Hazarik nodded, pulling the dagger back out of the table smoothly as the little gnome came back, holding up the Drider's Milk this time. Hazarik took a gulp of the powerful drink, before slamming it back down on the table. "Ah. Now, because you're dying for me to ask, where'd you find the slave?" Caz grinned as he ran his fingers through her hair. "Private sale - old Kekla Ar'caln died from poison, and his possessions were sold off. I caught this little Calimshan beauty for a very good price, and she's worth every coin." He tightened his fingers, yanked her head back with a cruel grip. "Aren't you, Shasera?"

"Yes," she whimpered, and he released his grip. "If you're interested, I could rent a room upstairs and show you how experienced she is. Tested her myself last night." Hazarik raised a thin eyebrow and shook his head before taking another gulp from his drink. "No, I've got more pressing matters to attend to." He took another glance at her full chest and said, "Though I thank you for the offer. I hope you enjoy her." He thrust his dagger back into his belt, rising from the table and leaving Caz to finish his drink in peace.

Grim ranger
2009-10-21, 02:38 PM
Menzoberranzan. The place he had been born and raised in. The place in which he had laughed and cried, tasted the joy of success and bitterness of defeat. The city he had bled for, and because of which many more unlucky drows than himself had bled themselves dry. The city of wonders and immense danger. Every second could mean riches and power beyond imagination, or merely dagger or bolt to the back and quick death.

It was place in which only the strong, sly or immensely lucky would survive.

The black-garbed figure sitting on small, shadowed ledge above the street level of Menzoberranzan was one of the sly ones. He had worked his way up from the dust to the ranks of most hardened killers in the city, and intended to stay that way. Anyone who would try to remove him from that position would find that their efforts were meaningless: no one had been able to kill him, no one was smart or quick enough to trick him. Many had tried and all had died...and not too quickly either. The assassin smirked and turned his head to follow drow walking down the busy street: drow in expensive tunic, followed by pair of guards. This particular firstboy was needed dead in order to orchestrate a coup, and he was all too glad to deliver. Raising small crossbow, the black-clad figure aimed carefully, smirking. All too easy...

Suddenly, his eyes opened in shock. Small crossbow tumbled from numb fingers, which had already risen to his chest to instinctively stop stinging pain. Hand garbed in silken black glove appeared in his rapidly shrinking vision, wrapping around his mouth to stiffle any cries and gleaming, hooked end of sword was pushed through his chest. Staring it in amazement, Xernas Xorlarrin heard silent voice, muffled by mask. It said right to his ear in matter-of-fact tone: "Sloppy. You should have double-checked your back before taking a shot. Can't be too careful in this city, wouldn't you say?"

Then another hand appeared, grabbing his head and breaking his neck with quick and effecient move.

Zariel pulled his sword from the rapidly-cooling corpse, careful not to make any noise alerting the passers-by. Cleaning his sword on the cloak of his latest kill, he pulled black piece of parchment from small bag on his belt and placed it on the forehead of Xernas Xorlarrin. It had been long hunt but he had managed to outsmart the overconfident killer.

Rising up, Zariel simply vanished from the ledge, leaving the corpse to be later found by patrol. He had reward to collect.

calar
2009-10-21, 05:40 PM
"Why me?" were the only words that she could spout out as she fell to the floor. She had dreams, dreams to reach to top ranks of this city as a high priestess of Lloth among one of the major families, dreams that would never come to fruition. She had ambition and guts, exceptionally so even when compared to her kin. Why did it have to end here, on this lonely terrace overlooking the city. She had been cautious, make the right friends, properly dispose of the right enemies, how had this happened?

The first thing she felt was a searing pain in the back of her right calf. Looking down she discovered black throwing dagger embedded in her leg. Wincing, she yanked the dagger out and spun to face her attacker. And there he stood, dark as the night.

She was forced to squint to make out his form, his body heat being suppressed magically. "How dare you assault a priestess Lloth!" she cried as she channeled her goddess's energy into healing her leg. No response. A second dagger flew from the blackness and severed the cord holding the symbol of Lloth to her wrist, sending it across the floor.

She thought for a moment to make a break for it, but a moment was all her assailant needed to charge with rapier drawn. 'Very well,' she thought, for she was also quite proficient in the art of melee combat. Drawing he traditional snake whip she lashed out with lightning reflexes at the black form, but he was gone. Her confusion only lasted a moment when she saw the tip of a come up from the right, drawing a red gash across her side. She winced, but but for a moment to long as a second attack from the rapier came again. She looked in horror at the drow hand clutching the hilt of the blade now driven through her heart.

The priestess crumpled as Rizza tore blade from body, cleaning it in one graceful stroke. Taking out a pen and quill, he jotted down a note, and left it atop the dead priestess. He retrieved his daggers and took off into the darkness. "You've got some guts going after a high ranking priestess I'll give ya' that," a familiar voice spoke from ahead. The form of his companion, Vornril, came into view a short way off. No response. "I'm sure this'll cause a stir, might even send someone after ya'." Rizza shot him an uncaring glance and continued walking.

Vornril shrugged and ran up to keep pace. "I hear the assassins of the city are movin', all the highest ranks are getting restless. By the sounds of it, there's gunna be a massive fight." Rizza stopped, listening now. "From what I can tell, your name's come up quite a few times from some of the darker circles, and it looks like more than a couple of them want you gone." Rizza stared over the city, and could feel it move as the buzz of chaos began to spread.

"Interested?"

"Who's first?"

In the morning a small crowd gathered, most grim faced but more than a few with suppressed smirks. There lay the body of the drow priestess, with the number 99 emblazoned on the note atop her body.

Kensen
2009-10-22, 04:01 AM
Menzoberranzan, 28th Tarsakh, 1385 Dale Reckoning

A storm is coming. I've sensed many disturbances in the Weave.

Four of the assassins are on the move. The rest will follow. A war of assassins has begun.

Grim ranger
2009-10-22, 04:51 AM
The halls of Sorcere were dimly lit and seemingly empty, all the wizards had travelled off to handle some important affair of theirs. Still there was lone figure walking along those corriodors of magic, dressed in robe of wizard and carrying a staff which clanked rhythmically to the floor in time with his steps. The mage seemed thoughtful and anoxious, fiddling with multible rings that adorned his fingers, and walking to his chambers, closing the heavy door behind himself.

"It is done."

The mage did not show with one gesture that he was surprised, turning around and eying the fully black-garbed figure that had seemingly appeared from thin air behind him. Instead he merely nodded and threw small bag at the assassin. Hook-tipped sword appeared out of nowhere and sliced the bag open while it was still airborne, causing shower of coins to hit black boots.

"I assume there were no witnesses?"

"None, as usual. Patrol should be finding him soon enough, though"

The mage nodded and sat down, grabbing glass from nearby table and pouring himself old elven wine from dusty bottle. "Then I applaud you, Zariel. You are truly one of the best". He raised the glass in salute to unmoving assassin.

Zariel bowed his head in slightest of gestures.

"But you would do well to remember you are not the only one. There have been news of all the professionals in the city getting edgy. It seems that the spider queen has decided to play little game, and professionals such as yourself are her new gamepieces".

Zariel looked around like he expected to be attacked on the spot and slid his hands along the handles of his swords.

"And you are telling me because?"

"You are most reliable instrument and I would perhaps need your services in the future. It would be shame to waste a professional. But how can we know what is the will of Lloth? I will call you if and when I need your services again"

The assassin nodded and turned around, melting into the shadows. The coins littering the floor disappeared on the spot.

Kensen
2009-10-22, 08:26 AM
7 players have sent me their guesses. 4 more to go!

Oh by the way, I'm designing a new game. Have a look at this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7170282) if you're interested.

Vwulf DeMarcus
2009-10-22, 06:46 PM
I swear I put Kands instead of IKands...
It's Kands anyway.

UncleWolf
2009-10-22, 08:05 PM
I may not be here this weekend, but I won't know until after I log off and if so, I won't get a chance tomorrow to post. Please don't auto me. :smallsmile:

I'll even send in a guess to make sure.

Kensen
2009-10-23, 04:26 AM
The hunt has begun. The assassins are still spying on each other, bargaining for information, making deals. No known alliances have been made, but no doubt, the assassins have secretly contacted each other and agreed on whom to get rid of first.

The most hated or feared assassins seem to be the drow assassins Zariel and Sharna, but none of the killers have been able to discover their secret names yet. I'm sure they will take countermeasures.

It has been quiet today, ominously quiet. A calm before the storm.

Round 1 ends and round 2 begins!

Assassination attempts:

Borth Feyslinth said: Rizza Arabrae is Strijder Nacht
Braen De'n Dazmon said: Zariel is Twisted Shadow
Cwni'ngen Llo'frudd o'Caer'bannog said: Zariel is the Avenging Angel
Kands Xiol said: Sharna is the Black Plague
Kyla said: Cwni'ngen Llo'frudd o'Caer'bannog is Riptide
Nikolai Grashnov said: Braen De'n Dazmon is the Avenging Angel
Rizza Arabrae said: Sharna is the Red Abomination
Sharna said: Nikolai Grashnov is Strijder Nacht
Shasera d'Hemar said: Zariel is Twisted Shadow
Yadzin Cro'niss said: Shasera d'Hemar is Strijder Nacht
Zariel said: Kyla is Dried

No deaths this round!

Grim ranger
2009-10-23, 05:01 AM
Zariel was sitting on top of a statue high above Menzoberranzan, pondering about his situation. It had been as if him hearing the news of the deadly game had started it for him, because immidiately after he had exited the Sorcere to spend some of his reward he had had to dodge multible acidic spits. He had not seen his attacker, of course not: everyone in this game were trained professionals, perfect killing machines who did not take chances or play fair.

He sighed as he recalled the second attempt later at the evening, he had barely evaded someone stalking him through the tunnels leading to the city. He was sure that if he had encountered this killer he would have been in deep trouble.

The third attempt had happened in tavern and had very nearly succeeded, only foiled by his habit of checking his drinks carefully for poisons. He did not know who had managed to poison the drinks he saw all the way from being poured from barrels, but he had no doulbts that he was in great deal of danger.

Standing up on the statue, he tore the lower part of his face mask angrily off, revealing rather handsome features and part of scar seemingly extending all the way towards his left eye,shouting angrily at Menzoberranzan and Lloth herself: "Whoever you send after me, you will fail! I will not fall to this cursed place! Never!". Jumping off from the statue and freefalling for moment he reached the upper streets, making perfect landing and rising up, starting to walk towards the darker part of the city. He had few inquiries to make. And other assassins to meet, of course.

rakkoon
2009-10-23, 07:35 AM
"What is it with this town?" thought Bort
"Everywhere I look I see colleagues of mine, jumping from buildings, tripple checking their drinks. Who's behind all of this? Doesn't matter, I'll finish my contracts here and spend some time perfecting my knife throwing. "

Lex-Kat
2009-10-23, 11:31 PM
Sharna

Sharna watches her target from the shadows. Her eyes glow red with hate as she watches him. He will pay for this insult. she whispers as she blends into the shadows.

Vwulf DeMarcus
2009-10-25, 09:12 AM
I'm going to be away by ~2:15 PST for ~10 days. Please don't auto me.

Kensen
2009-10-25, 09:31 AM
Alright, thanks for letting me know.

Closing round 2 shortly!

Kensen
2009-10-25, 10:42 AM
Alright, closing round 2! Hahaha who'll be the first to die? :smallbiggrin:

I'll post the report within a few hours.

Kensen
2009-10-25, 02:06 PM
Round 2 ends!

Kands Xiol sensed a presence inside his den. What insolence... who dares invade my house? Kands began scanning the mind of the intruder. But for some reason he could not scan the thoughts, not even moods or surface thoughts.

The assassin came to view. He was standing at one end of a long corridor, while Kands was at the other end. Fool.

Kands unleashed a mighty psionic blast and the assassin went limp, falling to his knees. Kands sent a telepathic message to the assassin: You weak, insolent fool. I'll kill you for your insolence. Slowly. You'll suffer for hours.

There was no response.

Kands walked up to the assassin and cupped his chin with his hand. His tentacles started feeling the drow assassin's dark, emotionless face. Suddenly Kands felt a sharp pain. The assassin had drawn a dagger and stabbed Kands!

Impossible!

Borth Feyslinth, the drow assassin grabbed a tentacle and pulled hard, smashing Kands' face against the floor. He cut off the tentacle with the dagger and threw the weapon aside. He produced a silvery chain, wrapped it around the illithid's neck and started choking him...

_/ _/ _/

The sun was shining in Shasera's face. She had gotten used to it over the years, she had even started enjoying the warm feeling. She was strolling in Calimport's market square, looking for something nice to wear in the evening. The Pasha was throwing a party at his palace and she had been invited!

A sound woke her up. She was in her room, miles beneath the surface, in complete darkness. Her hand quickly went to the hilt of a dagger, but before she could draw the weapon, an assassin wrapped her arm around Shasera's neck and stabbed her in the back. The assassin stabbed her another time, then slit her throat.

Assassination attempts (successful attempts in bold)

Borth Feyslinth said: Kands is Strijder Nacht
Braen De'n Dazmon said: Kyla is Silencer
Cwni'ngen Llo'frudd o'Caer'bannog said: Borth Feyslinth is Strijder Nacht
Kands Xiol said: Zariel is The Lurker
Kyla said: Borth Feyslinth is Riptide
Nikolai Grashnov said: Raz Fox is the Red Abomination
Rizza Arabrae said: Sharna is Strijder Nacht
Sharna said: Shasera is the Blackest Hunter
Shasera d'Hemar said: nothing, Shasera was absent this round
Yadzin Cro'niss said: Borth Feyslinth is Strijder Nacht
Zariel said: Nikolai Grashnov is the Blackest Hunter

Kands Xiol (Shadowhisper) is dead.
Shasera d'Hemar (Raz_Fox) is dead.

Round 3 begins!

Assassins

Sharna, drow assassin (Lex-kat)
Yadzin Cro'niss, drow beguiler (Freshmeat)

Secret aliases

the Avenging Angel
the Black Plague
Dried
the Lurker
the Red Abomination
Riptide
Silencer
Twisted Shadow
Xul Solar de Silva

Vwulf DeMarcus
2009-10-25, 02:44 PM
"Strijder Nacht" was supposed to be corrupted German for "Night Warrior". Just FYI.

Kensen
2009-10-25, 05:04 PM
Thanks for playing, Shadowhisper and Raz! Better luck next time. :smallsmile:

More shameless advertising...

So, I've decided that the next game I'm going to run will not be CoA. I guess I'll run a CoA: Superhumans game later this year if there's still interest. But the next game will be played with a totally new ruleset. I don't have a name yet, but I call the project And Then There Were None until I come up with a better name.

One of the player characters is a serial killer of some sort and he's trying to kill everyone else, while the other characters try to find out who the killer is so they can lynch him. Think Harper's Island, the Thing, or heh, Scream. There are a few parallels between the game and WW like day and night phases, but it's by no means a WW clone.

I'm looking for 10 players/playtesters. If you...

can post at least 5 times a week (preferably more),
have good writing skills and
are interested in playtesting

...consider signing up. I'll post a recruitment thread later, but if this sounds interesting, you can already express interest by replying to rules design thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129137). Feel free the comment on the rules as well.

rakkoon
2009-10-26, 04:00 AM
"Strijder nacht" is also the same in Afrikaans, which was the language I used in my first post ingame. Who knows, could have been someone from the African continent...could have worked

Kensen
2009-10-26, 04:14 AM
Also in Dutch, I think. Shadowhisper, are you calling Dutch "corrupted German", eh? :smallbiggrin: Don't tell that to any Dutchmen.

(I'm kidding.)

Trixie
2009-10-26, 06:06 AM
Huh. I noticed that, and I also noticed that he used the same language in the opening posts - and I wanted to check if you hadn't made a slip, but I eventually turned that away as too obvious.

I see that a few people checked that, though :smalltongue:

Kensen
2009-10-26, 02:40 PM
The Chronicler paced back and forth in his scrying room.

Eleven... nine... soon seven... That is the will of Lloth.

(six players have sent their guesses this round, three more to go)

Kensen
2009-10-27, 05:54 AM
Round 3 ends!

I'll post the report later but let's just say... two more characters are going to die...

Bwahaha! :smallbiggrin:

Oh and by the way, I'm recruiting players for my next game (the one I've been talking about for some time now), see the recruitment thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129562) if you're interested.

UncleWolf
2009-10-27, 10:17 AM
Anyone else worried? :smalleek:

rakkoon
2009-10-27, 10:19 AM
If I die, I won't be alone :smallcool:

Grim ranger
2009-10-27, 10:23 AM
My thoughts exactly :smallcool:

Though I would have it my assassin would have time to slice his own throat if he is killed, as he swore not to be killed by others :smalltongue:

rakkoon
2009-10-27, 10:26 AM
Sooo, since we're gonna die anyway and have some time to kill. What was your secret?

Kensen
2009-10-27, 11:25 AM
Sorry to keep you waiting :D I'm a little busy at the moment, but I'll get back to you later today, hopefully.

Grim ranger
2009-10-28, 03:23 AM
Sooo, since we're gonna die anyway and have some time to kill. What was your secret?

Nice try, but no. I think I won't reveal it just yet :smalltongue:

Kensen
2009-10-28, 05:12 AM
Round 3 ends!

Having killed the illithid, Borth started tracking his next target, Sharna, who had also scored a kill. He tracked her down to the Braeryn, the slum of Menzoberranzan. He wanted to find out what she was doing there before moving in for the kill. However, when scouting the area, he spotted a drow walking a rothé down the street. Borth observed the weird looking pair for a moment. The drow, oddly enough, was talking to the animal...

Sharna entered her hideout in the Braeryn. She was almost certain that a number of people had been following her, so she had used secret passages on her way to the hideout to make sure no-one would be able follow her.

*thok*

A diamond-tipped knife hit the door as she was closing it. She had heard the weapon whizzing in the air, flying towards her head and she had instinctively dodged it. Her daggers were already in her hands as she turned to regard the assassin, a male drow called Yadzin.

"Looks like you missed me," Sharna said, scowling.

Reverse-gripping the daggers, Sharna leaped at Yadzin, sinking the blades in Yadzin's chest, much like a pouncing cat does with her claws when hunting mice.

Yadzin fell to the floor with Sharna on top of him. The two lay there for a moment that seemed like eternity. Blood started trickling from Sharna's mouth, falling in droplets onto Yadzin's lips.

"You know I had no choice," Yadzin said, drawing his last breath and relaxing his grip on the knife he had drawn just before the female assassin had landed on him.

Assassination attempts (hits bolded)

Borth Feyslinth said: Sharna is the Lurker
Braen De'n Dazmon chose an invalid target
Cwni'ngen Llo'frudd o'Caer'bannog said: Bookworm is the Lurker
Kyla said: Sharna is the Avenging Angel
Nikolai Grashnov said: Lex-kat is Dried
Rizza Arabrae said: Sharna is Riptide
Sharna said: Yadzin is the Lurker
Yadzin Cro'niss said: Sharna is Twisted Shadow
Zariel said: Braen De'n Dazmon is the Lurker

Sharna is dead.
Yadzin is dead.

Round 4 begins!

Assassins and secrets

the Avenging Angel
the Black Plague
Dried
the Red Abomination
Riptide
Silencer
Xul Solar de Silva

rakkoon
2009-10-28, 05:18 AM
Ah beautiful, a double death, together for eternity.
Uhm, she is dead, perhaps I can still get that bounty...

Lex-Kat
2009-10-28, 12:52 PM
Yay!!! I killed my killer.

Beat that! :tongue:

And Wow. Five against me. Why the hate? :smallfrown:

Kensen
2009-10-30, 02:35 AM
A few players haven't sent me their guesses yet. Please do so. I'm closing round 4 in a few hours.

Kensen
2009-10-30, 07:58 AM
Round 4 ends!

The game of assassination is not just about killing. It's also about planning, negotiation and making sure you're not to one to die next. Choosing whom to trust is crucial - choosing whom not to trust, even more so.

Many magical anomalies have been detected in the city today... it seems as though the fabric of magic itself was unraveling...

Round 5 begins!

Assassination attempts

Zariel said: Borth Feyslinth is the Avenging Angel
Borth said: Rizza Arabrae is The Avenging Angel
Cwni'ngen said: Nikolai is the Silencer
Nikolai said: Kyla is The Black Plague
Rizza said: Kyla is the Avenging Angel
Braen chose an invalid target
Kyla was idle

No deaths, use the same lists as on round 4.

rakkoon
2009-10-30, 09:00 AM
Damn that Avenging Angel. I'm never getting paid...just a few more kills and I'll retire. Get me some pleasure slaves far away from here.

Trixie
2009-10-31, 07:30 AM
So... it's pretty much game over for Nikolai and Kyla, seeing how little possibilities for them remain?

Huh, I wonder why no one goes for the leaders of the race :smalltongue:

calar
2009-11-02, 03:55 PM
Hey Kensen, whats up with the delay?

Kensen
2009-11-03, 01:10 AM
Round 5 ends!

Sorry about the delay! I've been somewhat busy and tired. I'll post the report sometime soon...

Kensen
2009-11-04, 04:40 AM
Braen the drider saw something white running in the tunnel ahead. He had woven webs to close all exits save for one - the one he was guarding.

Cwni'ngen was running like a rabbit except a lot faster. Almost so fast that it was impossible to see her, just a flash of white in the dark could be seen. Two assassins were chasing her, and a third, spiderlike creature had closed all possible avenues of escape. Cwni'ngen ran towards the drider, hoping that she could hop high enough, bite the drider's head off and escape.

Braen spat poison at the white, furry creature. Cwni'ngen dodged by hopping to the side, but its leg got stuck in something sticky. Braen closed in, seeing that it would be easy to kill the white creature now that it could no longer make use of its superb mobility.

A throwing dagger hit Cwni'ngen and it let out an anguished cry. Braen saw a drow and a rothe sneaking up in the tunnel behind Cwni'ngen. The drow was carrying a silvery chain-like weapon.

The three assassins eyed one another for a long time, then at the white creature that had stopped struggling. Then Braen spoke "We'll meet again," and left.

_/ _/ _/

Later that day, Kyla the rothe assassin was eating subterranean grass on the Isle of Rothe. She was kind of bored because all the other rothe on the island were stupid, normal rothe, approximately as intelligent as the average cow.

"Moo?"

"Moo!"

Two drow men walked up to Kyla and grabbed her by her horns. "Ok, your time is up... Xul," one of the men said, looking at the ID plate on Kyla's collar. Kyla fought back, killing one of the drow with her horns and knocking the other drow prone. The drow drew his hand crossbow, aimed, and took a shot at Kyla. A tranquilizing bolt hit Kyla in her belly. Fort save vs DC 15: failed.

_/ _/ _/

A drow male came out of the Rothe Market, carrying a sack full of rothe meat. He went to the Braeryn, and when he saw a group of starving drow children, he tossed the sack at their feet and walked away. He walked outside the city limits and made a camp in a cavern he used as his base of operations. A halfling greeted him. "Nikolai! More trophies?"

The drow took off his hat and suddenly his appearance changed to that of a human. "Sure thing, Boris. Can you hang these horns on the wall for me? Use the ladder."

Braen said: Cwni'ngen Llo'frudd o'Caer'bannog is The avenging Angel
Kyla said: Cwni'ngen is the Avenging Angel
Borth said: Cwni'ngen Llo'frudd o'Caer'bannog is the Avenging Angel
Cwni'ngen said: Zariel is Xul Solar
Nikolai: Kyla is Xul Solar De Silva
Zariel was idle
Rizza was idle

Round 6 begins!

Assassins and secrets

the Black Plague
Dried
the Red Abomination
Riptide
Silencer

rakkoon
2009-11-05, 09:53 AM
Away notice:
Dumped the kids at my parents and off to a romantic weekend in Paris (with my own wife no less)
Will be back on monday

Vwulf DeMarcus
2009-11-05, 06:22 PM
Also in Dutch, I think. Shadowhisper, are you calling Dutch "corrupted German", eh? :smallbiggrin: Don't tell that to any Dutchmen.

(I'm kidding.)

:smalleek: I... uh... I just used a translator for "Night Warrior" to German(because I couldn't find Norwegian) and switched a few words around.:smalleek:

Kensen
2009-11-06, 10:53 AM
Closing round 6 in a few hours (as soon as I have time to write the report). One of the players hasn't sent me his action yet.

Next round may well be the last one. :smallbiggrin:

Who will be the best assassin in Menzoberranzan???????

Any ideas for improving the game are welcome.

Also, I'm still recruiting players for my next game (the murder mystery one). I've got 7 players, three more are needed but there seems to be no more interested players. >.<

Grim ranger
2009-11-06, 01:47 PM
Oh, you will get one from myself, if I get myself off my ass long enough to do character :smallwink:

Ihave really enjoyed this game... I wish there will be more CoA:s! :smallbiggrin:

Kensen
2009-11-06, 03:44 PM
I'm glad to hear you've enjoyed the game. Yes I think there'll be a third CoA. As I promised it'll have a superheroes theme. ^_^

Posting the report soon(ish)...

Vwulf DeMarcus
2009-11-06, 06:11 PM
I'm glad to hear you've enjoyed the game. Yes I think there'll be a third CoA. As I promised it'll have a superheroes theme. ^_^

IN!!

Please?

smuchmuch
2009-11-06, 06:26 PM

As I previously stated: In

Also where is this murder mystery game you posted about earlier ? I can't seem to find it.

billtodamax
2009-11-06, 07:14 PM
I'd love to be in the next one.

Grim ranger
2009-11-07, 04:25 AM
Reserve a spot for me in the next CoA, because I absolutely want to be in it! :smallbiggrin:

Kensen
2009-11-07, 05:22 AM
Alright, Shadowhisper, smuchmuch, billtodamax and Grim ranger: you're guaranteed a spot each in the CoA III.

Would you like to play with the current rules, or what would you think about maybe adding factions/teams? For example, in a superheroes game there could be factions like the Benefactors (pro-humanity, 5 players) vs the Supremacists (those who wish to rule normal people, also 5 players). And maybe a neutral party, the Wild Card (1 player), who wishes to be left alone and must ensure that neither faction wins.

smuchmuch: a link to the murder mystery game is now in my signature.

Sorry about the delay; I'll try to write the end of round report soon!

Kensen
2009-11-07, 06:49 AM
Nikolai had Borth Feyslinth in the sights of his crossbow. Nikolai held his breath and started slowly squeezing the trigger. The bolt pierced Borth's heart and one of his lungs, and the drow assassin went down, dying.

The real Borth was observing Nikolai and the beggar he had given his cloak to from afar. I knew it... you'll be next.

Borth was about to leave, but before he could move a muscle, he felt something cold and sharp against his neck. He could see the blade of a hooked longsword, the incredibly sharp blade against his neck.

"What do you want?"

*slash*

Borth's head fell down to the floor.

"Your head."

_/ _/ _/

Braen the drider snickered at Nikolai, who had killed the decoy. "Puny surface dwellers..."

Quickly but silently, Braen moved closer to Nikolai, hoping to get close enough to shoot a web at Nikolai before he could spot him. From the corner of his eye, ne noticed something moving to his left. He turned his head but could see nothing. Suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, a drow lunged at him with a rapier in hand. The drider spat poison at the attacker, but the drow assassin dodged it and thrust the rapier in the drider's belly. He also thrust the rapier in the drider's solar plexus and throat in rapid succession before Braen could even blink.

Rizza acrobatically leaped aside as the monstrous drider fell over to his side. With a flourish of his magical cloak, he vanished from sight again.

Borth said: Braen is the Red Abomination
Nikolai said: Borth is Dried
Zariel said: Borth is the Red Abomination
Braen said: Nikolai is the Red Abomination
Rizza said: Braen is Dried

Round 7 begins!

Assassins and secrets

the Black Plague
Riptide
Silencer

billtodamax
2009-11-07, 03:32 PM
Go Nikolai! Woo! I'm rooting for you!

Grim ranger
2009-11-07, 03:56 PM
My first kill. Heh heh, ironic it comes just before my assassin will propably be killed... oh well, such is his lot in life, I guess.

Deathslayer7
2009-11-07, 03:58 PM
If possible, I would like in on the next one as well.

Kensen
2009-11-09, 06:24 AM
Remaining assassins: PM your action! (Unless you have already done so.)

calar
2009-11-09, 09:35 AM
*Plays "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly" theme*

rakkoon
2009-11-09, 10:14 AM
Yes, the incredibly beautiful assassin is already dead :smalleek:

UncleWolf
2009-11-09, 12:14 PM

*praises Ennio Marricone*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq3KgZk5NC4

Though if you're looking for the song from the finale...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOKhQ8ObQ7E&feature=related

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EujDcc2xEUI&feature=related

Can't remember which. :smallredface:

Lex-Kat
2009-11-09, 12:35 PM
Yes, the incredibly beautiful assassin is already dead :smalleek:
Yes I know. :smallamused: But so is your assassin. :smalltongue: Already dead, that is.

Kensen
2009-11-09, 03:27 PM
When the sounds of battle died away in Menzoberranzan, one of the assassins was still standing. Lloth's favorite?

Round 7 ends!

CoA II ends!

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner!

But before I declare the winner, I'll let the three remaining players sweat a little. :smallbiggrin:

Report coming soon.

Grim ranger
2009-11-09, 03:38 PM
NOOO!!! IT IS UNBEARABLE!!! :smalleek:

*cuts his arms in frustration*

UncleWolf
2009-11-09, 04:41 PM
Heh, I'm pretty calm as I believe I made the right choice a while back. If not, then oh well, its been really fun. Can I reserve a spot in CoA III ahead of time?

Kensen
2009-11-09, 05:40 PM
Don't hold your breath (and stay away from sharp pieces of metal! :smallbiggrin:). ^_^ I'm not keeping you waiting on purpose, just busy at the moment. :smalleek:

EDIT: And yeah, you can.

The Bookworm
2009-11-09, 07:12 PM
Ooh! I sign up!

rakkoon
2009-11-10, 02:45 AM

Yes I know. :smallamused: But so is your assassin. :smalltongue: Already dead, that is.

I was talking about the Rothe, you too I suppose?

Grim ranger
2009-11-10, 03:40 AM
Now that it does not matter anymore, what neat gambits and manipulation did you try along the game, people? I have talked with rakkoon and it seems I Out Gambited him just moment before he would have stabbed me in the back in our little partnership...

And yes, calar, I was partners with him as well. I tricked you both, though he figured it out, and sadly did not act fast enough. Muahahahaa! :smallbiggrin:

I feel like everything that has happened is just one big Thirty Xanatos Pileup....which is just plain awesome :smallbiggrin:

rakkoon
2009-11-10, 03:56 AM
As you said, I teamed up with Calar and Grim Ranger, though seperately.
Grim tried to backstab me twice already but I though, hey, I'm still in the lead, I'll convince Calar to kill him next round. Unfortunately, Grim was too fast and too lucky :smallannoyed:. I didn't keep tabs on myself, were there many options left?

This was the best WW game yet because I actually got to gang up on people, plan on betraying and be betrayed. Since I'm always innocent, that's usually hard to do :smallsmile:

Grim ranger
2009-11-10, 04:51 AM
Actually, you were one of the targets I would not propably have hit, so I tried to convince everyone else into stabbing you simultaneously. That did not work out (people tend to get smarter after first few schemes), but I got lucky and popped you myself :smalltongue:

Edit:

But do we know who is good, who is bad and who is ugly? :smalltongue:

Those themes are awesome, though. Now I am all hyped for big, cinematic showdown :smallbiggrin:

Prefertably somewhere high or expecially dangerous, like lava river :smalltongue:

UncleWolf
2009-11-10, 08:47 AM
As for tricks, I don't want to spoil mine until the end, hopefully it paid off. :smallbiggrin:

Kensen
2009-11-10, 11:26 AM
"Good luck, Nikolai!" Boris said. The halfling started packing their belongings and planning their return to the surface because the assignment in the Underdark would soon be over. The thought of downing a few kegs of ale and chasing halfling wenches in a tavern made him smile, but at the same time he was very worried. Nikolai was at a severe disadvantage in the City of Spiders because his opponents were drow assassins, native inhabitants of Menzoberranzan.

Meanwhile, Rizza entered an abandoned amphitheater. Although rendered near-invisible by his magical cloak, he had a feeling he was being watched. The reek of death was still heavy in the air, though it had been years since gladiators had last played their deadly games here for the amusement of the middle and upper classes of Menzoberranzan.

"Vornril?"

Initially, there was no answer. But a few seconds later, one of the portcullises blocking the way to the animal pens started rising, its metallic clanking echoing in the arena. With the agility and speed matching a panther, Rizza leaped up to the lowest level of the ascending seating surrounding the arena. He crouched behind an orc gladiator statue and drew his weapons, the rapier in his right hand and a dagger in his left.

...to be continued...

Shadowhisper, smuchmuch, billtodamax, Grim ranger, Deathslayer7, Wolfbane, The Bookworm, rakkoon... nice, I've already got 8 players for the third CoA. :smallsmile:

Lex-Kat
2009-11-10, 01:58 PM
Actually, you were one of the targets I would not propably have hit, so I tried to convince everyone else into stabbing you simultaneously.
Wait, did you convince everyone to gang up on me also? :smallannoyed:

I'd like to be in the next CoA as well. :smallamused:

Grim ranger
2009-11-10, 02:06 PM

I'd like to be in the next CoA as well. :smallamused:

No, actually. I wished you lived...I liked your assassin :smallfrown:

Who was the third chessmaster around? Step right up, you magnificent bastard! :smallbiggrin:

calar
2009-11-10, 02:23 PM
Unfortunately, Grim was too fast and too lucky :smallannoyed:.:
Or was he? :smalltongue:

Grim ranger
2009-11-10, 02:34 PM
Or was he? :smalltongue:

Well, if Zariel bites it, I accept my defeat and hail the champion. Othervice your head will be mine, Rizza! :smallbiggrin:

calar
2009-11-10, 02:50 PM

Actually, I was probably the one most responsible for that :smalltongue:.

Kensen
2009-11-10, 07:09 PM
Two Axes Inn, The Surbrin Vale

A robed elf and a hairy dwarf were sitting at a table in the Two Axes Inn. The dwarf appeared to be slightly inebriated, well at least we has getting louder by the minute.

"Spellplague? Ye call it spellplague, durned elf? Can ye imagine how I felt when I woke up and could not see nuthing? Huh? So ye lost a few spells, I lost me eyesight!"

"Your darkvision."

"Same thing! For a dwarf!"

The door opened, and a halfling carrying a sack and large half-orc wearing a leather hat walked in.

"Boris!"

The halfling nodded, and they joined the dwarf's and elf's company.

"Boris! Good to see ye!" The dwarf looked angrily at the half-orc and frowned. "So 'tis true... The ugly thing's oor new tracker, aye?"

The halfling nodded. "Yes, Nikolai... didn't make it."

The dwarf wanted to cry, but dwarves don't cry.

"So... tell us how he died, eh?" the dwarf said and shrugged when he noticed that everyone else at the table were staring at him.

The halfling was quiet for a moment, then he began telling the story.

"Nikolai was tracking his mark, a drow assassin called Rizza. The drow had gone to an abandoned place where orcs, goblins, and other ugly monster used to chop each other into pieces back in the day. Gladiators you know? Weeeeell when Nikolai got there this Rizza was engaged in melee with another drow!"

"Bwahaha! Sounds like a fun place! Where can I buy a ticket! Bwhaha!" The dwarf was laughing so much he almost choked on his beer.

"Yeah there was also the body of a huuuuge giant spider lying lifeless on the ground, one of the elves must have had killed it too!"

"Ye ken I hate spiders! But go on!"

"So, one of the drow had two hooked longswords, and he attacked the other drow rigorously, left right left! A couple of times he almost caught Rizza in the neck with the swords! But Rizza dodged, weaved and ducked the blows... and this other drow, Zariel, his attacks were getting slower and Rizza started countering his attacks. Jabbing at his arms and wrists with his rapier each time Zariel tried to attack."

"Ye ken what I think aboot rapiers!"

"Yes... well Rizza scored a few hits, mostly just small nicks and cuts, but once the tip of the rapier sank deep into Zariel's forearm. He kept fighting with both swords..."

"How do ye ken all this?"

"Nikolai told me before he died."

"Oh. Well go on."

"Where was I? Oh yeah, Zariel dropped one of his swords. He was busy defending himself with just one sword against Rizza's fast attacks. Nikolai sneaked closer, looking for a good moment to attack."

Desperate, Zariel assumed an unusual stance, hiding the entire length of the sword behind his body and leaving all parts of his body vulnerable to attacks. Rizza lunged at Zariel, aiming for the heart. Zariel planted his right foot next to his left foot and pivoted his hips, swinging the longsword in a large arc, hitting Rizza and cutting diagonally all the way through his torso, from left shoulder to right hip.

But Rizza's thrust had hit too. The rapier's keen blade sunk in Zariel's chest, piercing his heart and killing him.

"Wait! So the two drow elfs killed each other? What happened to Nikolai?"

"Oh.. hehe! Right! I forgot to mention the river of lava!"

"What?"

The half-orc chuckled.

"Keep ye quiet, ye arse fer a face!"

The half-orc burst out laughing.

"Ooh now I get iiit, now I get it! Why you little!!!!" The dwarf's hands went for the halfling's neck but he changed his mind and hugged the half-orc instead.

Nikolai took off the Hat of Disguise that Boris had lent him and said: "I'm glad to see you too, Wargar!"

Assassination attempts

calar: Zariel is Silencer
Wolfbane: Rizza is Silencer
Grim Ranger: Rizza is Riptide

Thanks to everyone! ^_^ Now, reveal your secret alliances and tactics!

UncleWolf
2009-11-10, 07:14 PM
WHOOT! :smallbiggrin:

In case you didn't figure out, I pointed at my alias a few rounds ago. :smallamused:

calar
2009-11-10, 11:23 PM
Well curses, I was so close too. It really came down to 50/50 anyway.

This really was an excellent game, full of excellent intrigue. On my side of things, right off I tried to start an alliance with Grim and Raz (more of a cease fire really) which they both agreed to. Rak then contacted me next round to hunt down Stridjer Nacht which was sucessful. After that we started taking down other targets one by one. When we hit Avenging Angel, Rak accidentally (I assume) targeted my character with Grims help, and then told me Grim was targeting me after realizing the mistake. At the same time Grim turned around and told me rak was also targeting me, but made the point to tell me rak's guesses to my identity, one of which was correct. This scared me to the point of knowing rak had to go down and probably soon. I told Grim to keep targeting rak while I stayed on rak's good side. I also told rak that Grim had tried to sell him out and that we should consider taking him down too, but not just yet. This way Grim could whittle down potential choices or maybe even kill rak while I stayed safe. The day rak died, he sent me his choice saying he would vote Braen as the red abomination. I called his bluff and told Grim to vote him as such, which obviously paid off, getting me to the final three. After that I had enough info to tell who the other two were, so I picked Grim hoping he would go for the more obvious choice Wolfbane, and praying wolf would miss, which obviously didn't work out as well as I could have hoped. Anyway good game all, twas very fun.

Grim ranger
2009-11-11, 01:13 AM
Oh well. I pretty much quessed that my luck would run out in the last round... Can't always win 'em, you know? :smalltongue:

And I was pretty much on to you by the last round, calar. I knew someone was planning behind my back, so I pretty much summed it up to last possible choice: yourself. I guessed you were Riptide simply because of matching first letters, and even though Zariel died off, he did manage to drag Rizza with him to hell...

Hmm, this has inspired me to write epilogue for Zariel... be ready for reveal of one last scheme :smallamused:

calar
2009-11-11, 01:21 AM
Oh well. I pretty much quessed that my luck would run out in the last round... Can't always win 'em, you know? :smalltongue:

And I was pretty much on to you by the last round, calar. I knew someone was planning behind my back, so I pretty much summed it up to last possible choice: yourself. I guessed you were Riptide simply because of matching first letters, and even though Zariel died off, he did manage to drag Rizza with him to hell...

Hmm, this has inspired me to write epilogue for Zariel... be ready for reveal of one last scheme :smallamused:Lucky guess :smalltongue: the letters had nothing to do with it. I just chose a name that would be very ambiguous and not quite fit my character description.

Kensen
2009-11-11, 03:23 AM
It looks like I have enough players for the Haunted Monastery game, so that'll be the next game I'm hosting. CoA III is scheduled to begin in December.

Whaaaat, Shadowhisper has changed his name? Heh it probably had noooooothing to do with the most recent OotS comics. :smallbiggrin:

Kensen
2009-11-11, 03:56 AM
So, any ideas on how to make the game better? I'm glad to hear that quite many of you enjoyed playing. RPing the characters kind of died out after the first round, so there was little in-thread activity.

Would you like for the third CoA to be like the second one, or do you want to try playing in teams? This is an idea I have but feel free bash my ideas if you don't like them. :smallbiggrin:

So, there are two teams, and each team has 5 players. There's also a neutral player.

The Benefactors (The good guys)

5 players
The players know which team they're on, but they don't know who's on their side and who's not.
The Benefactors win if all Supremacists are dead and there's at least one Benefactor alive.

The Supremacists (The bad guys)

5 players
The players know which team they're on, but they don't know who's on their side and who's not.
The Supremacists win if all Befefactors are dead and there's at least one Supremacist alive.

The Wild Card (neutral)

1 player
The Wild Card knows he's the Wild Card, and he knows the identities of two Benefactors and two Supremacists.
The Wild Card wins if... I don't know yet. Maybe if both teams have lost three members?

rakkoon
2009-11-11, 04:16 AM
I liked this one but the new concept has merits too.

CALAR? Nicely played, my man!
Didn't everyone point at their own alias? I know I did :smallbiggrin:

Lex-cat: really was a coincidence in my case, your name was in the middle :smallsmile:

Grim ranger
2009-11-11, 05:06 AM
"Why do I suddenly feel like I have been played like a damn fiddle? And why do I have the feeling that NIKOLAI, of all people, is behind it? Ooh, ooh. Clever, clever bastar-" *dies*

heh heh...congratulations to the champ then! You managed to outsmart me, I give you that. And Calar, you Magnificent Bastard! I had no idea you were such a schemer, right until you revealed it yourself! :smallbiggrin:

And now, as promised: Epilogue!

Epilogue: The end of the road, the end of the plan

Somewhere in Demonweb Pits...

Zariel looked around in confusion. The place he was in seemed nothing like Menzoberranzan, not by long shot.

He was in hell, as he had thought he would be.

"So, this is how it ends then, eh?" He muttered at the place, looking around wearily. "Should have guessed. I never really had a chance now did I? And you knew all along, didn't you, you old hag? You knew I was different and that is why you put me in this...this game of yours".

Only silence answered him.

Pushing himself to his feet, Zariel allowed his senses to adjust to the hellish place he was in, seeing demons already coming to start his eternal torment. Then, against all propability, he grinned.

"I know you propably think you have won, you manipulating witch, but you are mistaken. Yes, your plan was good one, so good in fact it created plans within itself. Most of the poor souls you picked for it never even knew it was there... And there were so many deceptions, so much scheming, that it gave me time to make a little trick of my own".

Zariel burst out laughing, starting to walk deeper into the Pits, and continuing to speak to the air, his voice rising with every word.

"You do not get it, do you? Of course you don't, as none of my kind would have based their plans on anything but chance of survival, and they are the only ones you understand. All that I ever tried in this game was to get to you, either as your champion, or by this other way..."

He tapped the hole in his chest and grinned, ripping his black mask off.

"And now I am here. I am was sick and tired of that world I was forced to endure anyhow, and now I can make up for everything I have ever done wrong in very simple way: by killing you!"

He drew his blades, the metallic sound echoing around, and smirked as he heard the only answer thus far: a sound somewhere between giggle and chuckle.

"Let's see how long it takes to kill a goddess..."

Raising his blades in salute, Zariel charged forwards, towards the demons and deeper into Demonweb Pits.

And I also felt appropriate to give him Badass ending song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdiKAa0_Ay4). Because I think he deserves it for being on shared second place...and morally on first :smalltongue:

Kensen
2009-11-11, 09:51 AM
Nice, thanks Grim!

Oh by the way, do you think you're going to join Haunted Monastery? You still haven't submitted a character, have you? :smallbiggrin:

Vwulf DeMarcus
2009-11-11, 10:13 AM
It looks like I have enough players for the Haunted Monastery game, so that'll be the next game I'm hosting. CoA III is scheduled to begin in December.

Whaaaat, Shadowhisper has changed his name? Heh it probably had noooooothing to do with the most recent OotS comics. :smallbiggrin:

December? Come on.
I changed my name because people spell it wrong too much, and to Paul Muad'dib because of the most recent OotS comics, yes.

Grim ranger
2009-11-11, 12:32 PM
Nice, thanks Grim!

Oh by the way, do you think you're going to join Haunted Monastery? You still haven't submitted a character, have you? :smallbiggrin:

I don't think I will, sorry. I got Bazillion fire emblem games to attend to... But I will be surely around for next CoA. Send me PM when is starts, ok? :smallbiggrin:

And you are welcome. I am glad you liked it :smallsmile:

happyturtle
2009-11-11, 01:29 PM
December? Come on.
I changed my name because people spell it wrong too much, and to Paul Muad'dib because of the most recent OotS comics, yes.

Are you sure that was the best choice for avoiding misspellings, Paul Maud'ib? Maud'dib? Mau'dib? Muad'ib? Mua'dib? Muad'dib? :smalltongue:

Freshmeat
2009-11-11, 01:34 PM
December? Come on.

Shadowhisper was hard to spell? :smallconfused:

smuchmuch
2009-11-11, 03:28 PM
I'm not a big fan of the whole team thing for the next CoA; between all the werewolves, paranoid and such, there are plenty of game who already do that. IMHO, what makes Coa so good is it simplicity.
Plus, the way you presented it, it seems the Wild Card has almost no chance to win.

Someone HAS to do a CoA on that theme.

Vwulf DeMarcus
2009-11-11, 05:21 PM
Shadowhisper was hard to spell? :smallconfused:

Yes, apparently it was. I'm not naming names, but some people spelled(I almost wrote, "spleened":smalltongue:) it like: Shadowsniper, Shadowwhisper, Shadowwisper, and many others.
And you're right, that may not have been the best choice, but at least I can have a nickname that is easy to spell: Paul.

Kensen
2009-11-11, 05:44 PM
Alright, thanks for your comments. It's true that CoA doesn't necessarily need any more rules. I guess the only thing I didn't like about CoA II was the lack of in-thread activity. Although I made it possible for the players to roleplay their characters, there was little RP. I can't blame you for that, RP was an optional element after all. And all alliances were made behind the scenes because it made sense to keep them secret.

Any ideas on how to increase in-thread activity without adding any (or too many) new rules?

Lex-Kat
2009-11-11, 07:16 PM
Somehow specifiy that RP has direct effect on the outcome of each round.

Also, maybe you copuld extend the number of players to 12, and make four teams of three.

But don't tell anyone who their teammates are.

If the attack one of their teammates, instead of killing them, they recruit them.

So talking to one another by the scenes is more dangerous, because now you might be talking with a temporary ally, but after one round, you may find that your "ally" is actually your enemy.

Just a thought. :smallsmile:

Kensen
2009-11-25, 04:36 AM
CoA III: The Masked Avengers recruitment

This time the characters are super heroes, super villains and super anti-heroes. The rules are basically the same as last time, but flavor-wise, the game is a lot different. Your character submission must include the items outlined below.

Important: The character (including the name) must be appropriate for the theme. No joke characters. If I get a super chicken that shoots lightning bolts from its cloaca, you will be banned from the game and your spot will be given to someone else.

Your masked avenger must be your original creation, though she/he may resemble famous super-powered characters if you have no original ideas. :smalltongue:

---

Masked avenger name: [e.g. Superman, Spiderman, Wolverine...]

Outfit and appearance: [e.g. Red full body spandex suit, goggles.]

Powers and skills: [3-5 relevant powers and skills; each power/skill must be a separate entry, a simple list won't do. Example below:]

Bone claws

Wolverine has three retracting bone claws housed within each forearm. Each time he extrudes them, they cut through his flesh, causing pain.

Martial arts

During his time in Japan and other countries, Wolverine became an expert of virtually all forms of martial arts and is familiar with and experienced in virtually every fighting style on Earth.

Affiliations and public opinion: [How famous/infamous is your masked avenger and for what reasons? Which side of the law is she/he? Does he go solo or is he part of a team of super-powered heroes/villains?]

Secret: [NOTE! Send the secret in a PM! This time the secret may be one of the following: identity (e.g. he is Peter Parker) or vulnerability (allergic to kryptonite).]

---

Game rules:

I Character creation

1. Post your character's name and a description in the recruitment thread.
1.1 The name should be appropriate for the theme of the game.
1.2 The description should include at least the character's favored method of killing. Other details on his appearance, personality and modus operandi are also appreciated.
2. Send the GM your character's secret in a PM. What the secret is depends on the theme of the game, but it is usually a secret identity or vulnerability.

II The game round

1. The GM posts a list of all remaining characters, and a list of secrets that are connected to those characters.
2. Send the GM a PM with a guess. If you can guess correctly which secret belongs to which character, that character dies at the end of the round. Write your guess in the following format: [character] is [secret]
2.1 Once you've sent your PM, you cannot change your guess. The only exception to this rule is that if your target is invalid, you can change your target.
2.2 You can only target characters and secrets listed by the GM.
2.3 You cannot target your own character, but you can target your character's secret.
2.4 The deaths occur simultaneously, and thus it is possible for two characters to kill each other, or even for all remaining characters to die on the same round.
2.5 If two or more players kill the same target, it counts as an assisted kill for each of the players.
2.6 If you don't send a PM to the GM, or your PM does not have a valid guess in it, you are considered to be absent on that round. Two consecutive absences result in auto-elimination.
2.7 You are allowed to send your guess in advance if you know you'll otherwise be absent on a round. You may include conditions as necessary to avoid choosing an invalid target.
3. You may roleplay your character in the game thread. It is not obligatory, but it is recommended.
4. You may make pacts with other players. A pact may be public (made in the game thread) or secret (made in PMs). In either case, any such pacts are non-binding.
5. When 48 hours (2 days) have passed or everyone has sent in their PMs, the GM narrates the deaths and lists all guesses made that round. The guesses are listed in the following format: [character A]: [character B] is [secret] (miss!/HIT!)
6. The GM checks how many players are left.
6.1 If there are no characters alive, the game is over and there is no winner.
6.2 If there is one character left, that player wins the game. If there are two characters left, the one with more kills wins; if it's still a tie, unassisted kills determine the winner.
6.3 If there are three or more characters left, a new round begins.

rakkoon
2009-11-25, 04:39 AM
In , in in in. What is the setting (prank calls?) and what kind of secret should it be?

billtodamax
2009-11-25, 04:39 AM
Do we post our characters here? Or will there be a new thread?

Kensen
2009-11-25, 05:25 AM
No, not those masked avengers.

Read post #131. And yes, post your character in this thread.

rakkoon
2009-11-25, 05:46 AM
Okidoki

Masked avenger name: Clear Cut

Outfit and appearance: Ninja outfit in crimson red, black bandana, 4 arms

Powers and skills:

Fire hands
Clear can makes his hands contain fire without inhuring himself. When concentrating a blue fire may appear but only for two minutes max.
The fire envelops his weapons also.

Sword master
Two japanese katanas and two shoto's (shorter shorts) are his favorite weapons. He learned the art in the the Ito mountains from Ninja masters.

Mist form
He can transform into mist, thus being invulnarable to bullets and attacks.

Affiliations and public opinion: Evil hitman that is known by heroes and villains, not really by the main public

Kensen
2009-11-25, 06:37 AM
Looks ok.

Umm, how can I change the thread name? Or is it no longer possible to do that?

Grim ranger
2009-11-25, 07:42 AM
I will join in gladly, as promised! Character coming to the thread even today! :smallbiggrin:

rakkoon
2009-11-25, 07:48 AM
Btw , Kensen, I'll try and roleplay a little bit (short texts, short texts) so that we get an overall story. Since I know a bit more about superheroes than I know about Drow this will be easier :smallredface:

Kensen
2009-11-25, 07:54 AM
Thanks in advance, rakkoon. :smallsmile:

smuchmuch
2009-11-25, 07:57 AM
No joke characters

How about deadpool inspired characters ,not serious per se but still apropriate to the theme ?

Kensen
2009-11-25, 08:05 AM
I suppose that's alright.

In borderline cases I'll notify the player and ask him to make adjustments. Only outrageously silly characters (and players :smallbiggrin:) will be banned outright.

rakkoon
2009-11-25, 08:12 AM
So no Submission Boy? But he actually exists!
Ah well

Kensen
2009-11-25, 08:18 AM
Uhh, Submission Boy sounds just so... wrong.

And no Ambiguously Gay Duo either, please.

Vwulf DeMarcus
2009-11-25, 10:04 AM
Ya know what, give my spot to someone else please?

Kensen
2009-11-25, 10:21 AM
Ok, I'll do that.

Grim ranger
2009-11-25, 02:33 PM
Damn the exams take time to prepare for. Character sending delayed to tomorrow :smallfrown:

Freshmeat
2009-11-25, 04:20 PM
Masked Avenger Name: "Chronos" (Xaroth Thade)

Outfit and Appearance: Chronos is a time traveler and thus often wears clothing appropriate to the timeline he's in. Still, he is rarely seen without his trademark goggles, generally has a bit of a steampunk look going on, has messy hair and a wide variety of utility belts on him. He always has at least one gun and one pocketwatch on him at all times.

Powers and Skills:

Time traveling: hailing from a distant, dystopian future, Chronos has an extensive knowledge of tons of subjects that are often still mysteries to whichever time period he's traveling to. Including time travel itself, obviously.
Limited precognition ability: having studied the flows of time meticulously, Chronos can look into the future, which helps when planning attacks and such. During combat this ability only helps him know what's going to happen in the next couple of seconds, but if he's not distracted, this can go up to several minutes and even hours.
Short-range teleportation: for brief amounts of time, Chronos can stop time. However, the Time Travel Act of 3125 forbids him from taking any action during such a time other than moving. To the uninitiated, such timestops (and Chronos' subsequent displacements) are often misinterpreted as 'teleportation'.
Cybernetic implants: medical science has advanced greatly in the future, and Chronos has been gifted with implants that improve much of his abilities (eyesight, strength, reflexes, etc.). While none of these are on the level of dedicated heroes in such departments (Superman, the Hulk, Spiderman, Bullseye, etc.) he's still in great shape. Most importantly, his implants have given him an increased lifespan.
Weapon Master: Chronos has had literally ages to study weaponry of all kinds. He prefers guns above all else.
Affiliations and public opinion: Chronos isn't too well-known by the general public, and only by a small portion of the super heroes/villains, but some scientists (particularly those researching time travel) are aware of him, as are a variety of future-sponsored secret organizations. Those that know him view him as a morally gray assassin often working for somewhat dubious ends.

Edit: Argh, looks like that super villain already exists. And has time traveling as a power too (though that's a given with such a name). Oh well. I'll change it so this Chronos is a future version of him in an alternate timeline. How awfully generic. :smallcool:

Kensen
2009-11-25, 04:45 PM
Excellent, Freshmeat. :smallsmile: Approved!

I think I'll start a new thread sometime soon, but until the new thread is up, just post your characters here. I'll copy-paste them to the new thread.

The Bookworm
2009-11-25, 11:09 PM
Ooh! Pick me! In as...

The Statue

Outfit and Appearance: Ten foot tall statue of Hades. Ancient Greek. Robes. Helm of invisibility. Sword. Note: Colors of a statue, not "real colors."

Powers and Skills:

Knowledge of Death/Dying/Afterlife: As an animate and intelligent avatar of Hades, he has the full (extensive) knowledge of death and the afterlife that Hades possesses.

Invisibility: While wearing helm of invisibility, he is invisible. No power can override this invisibility or "see through" it, but he could still be recognized by another sense.

Sword skills: He is good at using his sword. Especially to kill people/things.

Statue: As a statue, usual things that would harm a being do not harm him. Smashing him or melting him are the only ways to hurt him. He does not need to breath, eat, drink, or sleep.

Affiliation/Popular Opinion: He is completely tied to the god Hades in every way, and must follow his every command. Aside from a piece about the statue's disappearance from the museum, he has stayed largely under the radar.

Kensen
2009-11-26, 01:26 AM
Interesting character, Bookworm. :smallsmile: Thanks and welcome to the game!

billtodamax
2009-11-26, 02:05 AM
Knifeman... or whatever.

Outfit/Appearance:
Knifeman is dressed in jeans, a shirt and a Halloween mask of a witch. He has a belt going from his right shoulder to his left hip with several knives in it. They look like he just bought a set of kitchen knifes, and just put those there. He probably left out the spatula. He's probably a teenager under that mask, his perpetual slouch and the fact that his body hasn't quite bulked out yet would point towards that.
Personality:
Knifeman doesn't really care too much about this "superhero" stuff. He's really only doing it because his mum wouldn't take no for an answer. And to pick up chicks.
Powers/Skills:

Knife skillz.
Knifeman is astoundingly coordinated, being able to throw and wield his assortment of knives with ease and astonishing accuracy.
Super Speed.
Knifeman inherited super speed from his father's side, and it was this that convinced his mother that he should be a superhero. He mostly uses this speed in his arms, to assist with throwing and dueling, however if he needs to run away, he won't hesitate in using it.
Partial Camouflage.
A forgotten skill from a fling one of his father's ancestor's had with another hero, Knifeman can blend in slightly with his surrounding, giving him a sucky version of invisibility that doesn't work in direct sunlight or against someone that has sharp eyesight. Rarely used.
Affiliation/Public Opinion:
Knifeman is generally well liked by the public, mostly because he hasn't done too much that would inspire their hate. The other heroes consider him a joke, with a stupid costume and a stupid name. Coincidentally, he thinks this of them, too.

Well, I tried to restrain the silliness. Hopefully this is okay. :smallsmile:

Kensen
2009-11-26, 02:52 AM
Looks ok. Definitely not an "A-list" superhero/villain, but not everybody needs to be that.

Grim ranger
2009-11-26, 04:11 AM
Masked avenger name: Renegade

Outfit and appearance: Renegade is dressed in long black coat and silver/gray full body suit that is very steamlined and smooth. His face is filled with cybernetics, with his jaw fully replaced with metal plates, eyes clearly artificial (metallic in colour) and even has a visor that can be closed down in combat. All in all his head resembles futuristic helmet. His black hair is hanging back in long spikes, and every bit of him save his face is covered by the bodysuit.

Renegade carries finely decorated katana and wakizashi on his belt. The weapons have futuristic look on them, having technological gadgets embedded into their hilts and near the blades. He also carries two combat knives on his sleeves in case he loses his swords during a fight.

Powers and skills:

-Cybernetic body: Renegade's body is for most part (exept for brain, most of his face and hair) bio-organic contruct that is much more durable and agile that that of normal human's. It allows him to sustain incredible amounts of damage and regenerate over time. In addition, his reflexes and speed are of superhuman levels: he can block most solid ranged attacks (bullets, throwing knives, thrown cars) out of the air and move in lighting speeds, at times even too fast for normal eye to follow. Moving much faster than normal human tires him, though, and his regeneration and damage-sustaining capabilities can be beaten with through beating, though it takes very, very much damage to do so.

-Close-combat weapon mastery: Renegade is accomplished user of most known close-combat weapons, though he prefers to use his swords or knives whenever possible.

-Vibroblades: Renegade's katana and wakizashi are fitted with technology that turns them into vibroblades. In short, they can smoothly cut through most known substances.

-Optic camouflage: Renegade's cybernetic body houses built-in optic camo that allows him to turn nearly perfectly invisible, as well as dampening any and all sounds within fife meters of him. This can also be a drawback, as clever opponent can use the silence to catch him off-guard with surprise attack.

-Lighting field: Renegade can create electricity from his body, which he can use to either amplify his sword attacks or create area effect electric blasts. He can also improvice with this power, for example turning fire alarms of the building on and then shock the whole place when it is soaked by sprinklers.

Affiliations and public opinion: Renegade's existence is nearly a myth to general public, but goverment and heroes & villains know about him. This is caused by his past: he was experienced, though young soldier that was experimented upon to create perfect soldier, but grew sickened to being used like a tool and broke army's and goverment's hold on him, starting to lead his own life. Though officially a wanted fugitive, he is very much hero at heart and helps them whenever possible. At times he does operate on very "morally gray" areas when opposing the goverment and system, though.