PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying as a Solar (NPC)

Freelance Henchman
2009-10-14, 05:56 AM
Any hints?

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-14, 06:08 AM
Exalted or D&D?

Freelance Henchman
2009-10-14, 06:14 AM
D&D in the Planescape setting. It won't involve combat, just RPing the parent of a character, and I'm not sure what kind of "tone" a Solar has.

hamishspence
2009-10-14, 06:19 AM
First- a solar is an angel- which in D&D means the servant of a deity, and right at (or very near) the top of the hierarchy.

If not the deity's "right-hand being" then at least, it is highly likely that the right-hand being will be drawn from the ranks of the solars.

They are very powerful- which suggests they are likely to be very confident.

As long as the deity is Good, the personality of said deity will be a good place to start. A Lawful Good Solar of Hieroneous, might be very different from a Chaotic Good Solar of Corellon.

Not an exact match for the personality, but using it as a guideline.

Freelance Henchman
2009-10-14, 06:22 AM
It would be a Solar who is in the ranks of Pelor, so Neutral Good I guess.

PhoenixRivers
2009-10-14, 06:25 AM
In keeping with creatures removed from the affairs of mortals, with exceptionally good mental ability...

Keep them brief. Answer questions with questions. Not frivolously, but questions that will lead the pc's to seek the right answer.

I'd like to think the doctor's hologram in I, Robot, is kinda along the lines...

"You must ask the right questions."
"That is the right question."

Convey a certain level of disinterest in things that are important to the PC's, but not so much the Solar.

Keep in mind, this thing is as far removed from the human condition as humans are from the gopher condition.

hamishspence
2009-10-14, 06:27 AM
Makes sense (though there is always the option of having it simply follow the one-step rule)

Pelor is famous for being compassionate (and the dedicated foe of undead).

What makes a Solar different from any other angel of Pelor is its great power- which might suggest at least a little arrogance- though a humble Solar would be a nice variation.

And since it's been the parent of a mortal, it can't be that far removed from the human condition.

Freelance Henchman
2009-10-14, 06:42 AM
There was some interest in mortal affairs it has to be presumed since he did father a child, but left the mother to deal with the child alone (which isn't entirely Good I guess).

Chrono22
2009-10-14, 06:50 AM
Some solars are dedicated to stopping a particular kind of wrongdoing or a specific brand of evil on a planar scale.
So, choose the vice you want to prevent/stop. You represent the ideal opposite of that vice.
So, cruelty vs. benevolence. Greed vs. generosity. Lies vs. honesty.

Where do solars come from? I have no frikking idea. I have a half-baked notion that a solar is created, not born. By who- once again, I don't know. Chronias, perhaps.

hamishspence
2009-10-14, 06:52 AM
that may depend on the circumstances:

1:The two were adventuring together, got involved, the solar was called back to Celestia- the mother never told him about the child- he can hardly be blamed.

2:The mother told him- but they agreed that a celestial is not suited to managing a family- and the solar made sure the mother was set up and able to raise the child without being subject to hardship before leaving- reasonable.

3:The mother told him- and the solar ran out on her and never returned- not so reasonable.

As to where celestials come from, I think that the general rule is ascended mortal souls- a mortal soul might be promoted to angel by their deity, then ascend through the ranks.

bosssmiley
2009-10-14, 07:15 AM
Sandman: Season of Mists - Duma and Remiel
In Nomine - members of the Angelic Choirs (http://www.sjgames.com/in-nomine/Angelic/choirs/)
Superman

Characterisation: Solars are like a combination of the nicest, wisest guy you ever met and the toughest, scariest cop going. Morgan Freeman multiplied by Clint Eastwood, and wholly dedicated to making the world a better place.

Motivation: These guys really do have a hotline to a higher power; they really do understand the dictates of the divine will better than you; and they really are more virtuous and noble than you. They do not suffer moral doubts, and they do the right thing as easily as you or I breathe.

The thing is, despite their being noble, virtuous, yadda yadda, beyond the bounds of human experience, they totally won't shove this inherent superiority in your face. Solars have responsibilities beyond your ken, but they still think what you have to say is important, because every person has value, and every soul counts.

Think of Solars as being like the archetypal idealised American President, or like Superman. Hugely powerful, but profoundly moral.

Freelance Henchman
2009-10-14, 07:28 AM
Hehe thanks, that sounds good.

Eldan
2009-10-14, 09:15 AM
Well, in Planescape this is difficult... I remember a quote from the monstrous companion.
Paraphrased:
"They could have the power of gods, but they choose to serve instead."

So, try to keep that angle.