PDA

View Full Version : Vagrant Story

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-14, 05:56 AM
Did anyone else ever play this? And enjoy it?

Recently all the press stuff from Dragon Age has made me kick up the old Playstation and try Vagrant Story again. I guess I associate them because they both are styled with a sort of 'dark fantasy' touch.

I never really enjoyed another JPRG like I did Vagrant Story, but then it is quite different from most others in that genre. Are there any other games like it? Can anyone give me a game that would be another Vagrant Story?

The ridiculous clothes should be considered optional.

Dihan
2009-10-14, 06:03 AM
Another Vagrant Story? Ok, if you're after games that are set in the same world (Ivalice) then you'll want the Final Fantasy Tactics games or Final Fantasy XII. Both of which have none of the appeal that Vagrant Story had.

jamroar
2009-10-14, 07:04 AM
Another Vagrant Story? Ok, if you're after games that are set in the same world (Ivalice) then you'll want the Final Fantasy Tactics games or Final Fantasy XII. Both of which have none of the appeal that Vagrant Story had.

Not suprising, given they were designed by the same guy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasumi_Matsuno). His Ogre Battle/Tactics games also follow the same dark fantasy tone.

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-14, 10:53 AM

Eh, so that's a no, then?

Not suprising, given they were designed by the same guy. His Ogre Battle/Tactics games also follow the same dark fantasy tone.

I can check out his other games, certainly. I'm not sure Ogre Battle is what I'm looking for but it could be.

Thanks for the help, both of you. If anyone wants to discuss Vagrant Story even the tiniest bit, feel free. Playing through it again I'm shocked I'd forgotten how good it was.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-14, 03:05 PM
I liked Vagrant story, but one thing sticks out that I hated: Risk points, or whatever they were called..

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-14, 04:51 PM
I liked Vagrant story, but one thing sticks out that I hated: Risk points, or whatever they were called..

Are you kidding? Risk points were a perfect game mechanic! Building a system to punish a good player so that he was relentlessly K.O.'d by even the most normal of monsters is the best. Idea. Ever.

So yeah, you're right, Risk points did kind of suck. The thing that really annoyed me was the random system of upgrading after each boss. With work you could get you wanted but I would have liked some sort of more linear, tiered development system.

Slayn82
2009-10-17, 07:06 AM
Well, i liked how risk forced you to hold back and control your timing, like in a fighting game. Or you could go all out, and just crush people, but ending up very vulnerable to counters. I usually could chain at least 20 hits...and getting a lot of risk was almost mandatory to beat some enemies (like Asura in the Iron Maiden).

It made the game tense, and put a good sense of urgency in the fights. Of course, you could be more laidback, and play the game like it was parasite eve, but under 40 risk the effect was barelly noticeable to me.

T.G. Oskar
2009-10-17, 08:03 AM
[...]and play the game like it was parasite eve, [...]

Good one, Slayn. You just partially answered one of the OP's questions. Parasite Eve was really awesome, one of those few games that really cut through the concept of JRPG to make it something different (survival horror RPG). Too bad PE2 wasn't so good...wonder if 3rd Birthday will rectify that...

I must admit, I loved VS. While I could get pissed off by some puzzles and stages (such as...ahem, Iron Maiden...), I really loved the story. It has, IMO one of the best villains, and despite the "we love Milan" clothing, the characters were quite intriguing.

Perhaps it's because of the tinkering part (I feel oddly attracted to games that people claim are bad, yet they have nifty blacksmith options), or for the odd method of making "enchanted weapons", or the crazy hard bosses (unless you get one of the few final chain attacks such as the Phantom skills, hitting for 0 damage is hilarious), but there's something I pretty much liked about it.

IIRC...love Greatswords, went with Crimson Hit for most of the game (and the defensive ability to return 30% of damage was just pretty), alternated between poisoning and whatnot. Also, went with thematics with weapons, and had one of each (Greatswords kill Demons and Evil creatures, Crossbows obviously kill Bats, and Large maces of all things were meant for Elementals).

It's a shame I can't find the game again. Otherwise, I'd love to finish Iron Maiden once and for all (and probably get a Damascus Holy Win weapon!)

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-17, 01:39 PM
Well, i liked how risk forced you to hold back and control your timing, like in a fighting game. Or you could go all out, and just crush people, but ending up very vulnerable to counters. I usually could chain at least 20 hits...and getting a lot of risk was almost mandatory to beat some enemies (like Asura in the Iron Maiden).

It made the game tense, and put a good sense of urgency in the fights. Of course, you could be more laidback, and play the game like it was parasite eve, but under 40 risk the effect was barelly noticeable to me.

If you can regularly hit combos there or maybe just a little higher than that - say, 25 or 30, the game becomes significantly easier. For a more casual player on a roll, though, Risk Points could be a real pain. The game is not engineered for such a player, I suppose.

Good one, Slayn. You just partially answered one of the OP's questions. Parasite Eve was really awesome, one of those few games that really cut through the concept of JRPG to make it something different (survival horror RPG). Too bad PE2 wasn't so good...wonder if 3rd Birthday will rectify that...

I must admit, I loved VS. While I could get pissed off by some puzzles and stages (such as...ahem, Iron Maiden...), I really loved the story. It has, IMO one of the best villains, and despite the "we love Milan" clothing, the characters were quite intriguing.

I've played Parasite Eve 2, and actually had forgotten about it a little. I'll make an effort and see if I can beg, borrow or steal the first one. I agree about Vagrant Story's, uh... story. The characters, location, setting and plot were all excellent.